Wiki Posts
Search

AirAsia REP-DMK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

AirAsia REP-DMK

For my trip to Cambodia, Thailand, and Singapore in December of last year, I was looking at flight options from Siem Reap to Bangkok. Scanning the news, I noticed that AirAsia had just announced their plans for a DMK-REP flight. I quickly went to the AirAsia website and noted they have had it on sale for about $80. Knowing that PG and K6 were much more expensive, I jumped on the sale and bought a one-way REP-DMK.
On the day of departure, I rose early and headed to Siem Reap airport where the ticket counter of AirAsia was not open yet. I sat down and had a green tea at the nearby coffee corner and waited... When I saw people lining up, I quickly joined the queue and soon after the AirAsia counters opened I checked my bag (prepaid online) and went through security. The gate area was rather busy and it later it turned out that the flight was almost completely full (no surprise there).

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

After passing my boarding pass to the gate agent I walked outside towards the waiting plane in the glowing sun (apologies for the shaky photograph).

It looked all very lassez-faire to me...just walk out the door and to the plane. No one's watching. Can you imagine this happening at a US airport??

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 6, 2014 at 3:14 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

After rounding the stairs you get a marvelous view of the livery and engine of this particular A320. When I first started to snap pictures with my cell phone, the worker vehemently pointed to the stairs. But when I smiled at him and said "photo", he smiled back and walked away.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 6, 2014 at 3:07 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I wasn't sure what to expect with respect to seat comfort and pitch as I had never flown AirAsia before. I knew of the so-called "Hot Seats" but read that the pitch of those seats was not more than of any other seat on board.
Either way, I just picked the regular seat shown below.

As you can see the pitch is relatively tight for a 6'2" tall male.

Although a bit uncomfortable, the flight only lasted 45 minutes or so and I thought it wasn't soooo bad for that duration. Note that everything on board was for sale, even the water. I had brought my own so I decided not to buy anything.
After landing in DMK, my bag was quickly loaded onto the baggage belt and I was on my way to Le Meridien Bangkok.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Thanks for the review - was thinking of using them to fly to Bangkok when I go there, but was a little hesitant as they fly into DMK and not BKK. How was it to get to the hotel? Did you get a car, taxi or public transport?
Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
Thanks for the review - was thinking of using them to fly to Bangkok when I go there, but was a little hesitant as they fly into DMK and not BKK. How was it to get to the hotel? Did you get a car, taxi or public transport?
Thanks!
I did get a taxi from the official cue. About 170 baht on the meter.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I did get a taxi from the official cue. About 170 baht on the meter.
Thanks dieuwer2 - how was Le Meridien?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigEyedFish
Thanks dieuwer2 - how was Le Meridien?
Was good. Excellent location. Some minor issues with the room such a lack of outlets, position of hot water kettle inside a drawer, etc.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Was good. Excellent location. Some minor issues with the room such a lack of outlets, position of hot water kettle inside a drawer, etc.
Thanks! Still haven't decided between SGS and Le Meridien...... choices, choices!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.