Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Years in Buenos Aires and Mendoza via American Airlines 772 Flagship First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 4:27 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by SFO777
Did you really manage three wine tastings day? We blew off the 3rd one on Day 1 as we were already essentially "legally drunk".

Yup, we managed 3 wineyards in one day.
But when we were in Cape Town in Summer 2012, we did 6 wineyards in a day

Which was the same day UA had the 4mile HKG mistake tickets and I was too drunk to use a PC. Oh well good thing they really didn't honor them
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Domingo, our guide from earlier today was our driver tonight and we arrived at the airport about 2:15 before departure. Well organized check-in with agents greeting pax before the lanes, insuring that they were in the proper line.

The worst part was the chaotic passport control snake lines which took about 20 minutes.

First stop was the SkyClub...

... which was by far the worst SkyClub I have ever visited. Way too small for all the J pax and credit card holders that had access.

With a pathetic selection of munchies.

And a challenged staff that couldn't or didn't keep up with demand.

And not enough glasses. That's Coke Light in my coffee cup.

I left Mrs. SFO to enjoy the ambiance and headed down the concourse to check out the Admirals Club (or Admiral Club as they call it in SCL).

Wow, what a shocking difference. This thing is HUGE, attractive with numerous comfy looking seating areas.

And a business center. ^

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 10, 2014 at 9:27 am
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

By the time I returned to the SkyClub, it didn't make sense to up and move to the Admirals Club for perhaps 15 minutes, so we toughed it out before heading towards the gate, which was actually more pleasant than sitting in the SkyClub. Our 767 from the nearby gate.

And naturally, gate lice and a boarding, starting with the usual non-AA "pax traveling with small children and those that need a little extra time".

Delta 146
Santiago SCL to Atlanta ATL
767-300ER
10:10P-5:55A +1 (sked)
10:10P-5:30A +1 (actual)
January 4, 2013
Seats 4BC

OK, what can I say? When one is used to First and only 6 to 10 other pax, this is going to take getting used to. Unfortunately, this is not even close to the comfortable BE seating configuration and space on the UD of the 744. My only consolation is that I am burning off SkyPesos that would otherwise go unused.

Our home for the next 10 hours.

Nice Westin Heavenly duvet and pillow but where the hell am I supposed to put it to sit down?

Good legroom but this is one narrow seat. Despite the armrest, this is a very tight seat with absolutely zero storage.

At least there is power.

Water, almond snack and menus were placed at each seat prior to boarding.

And FAs came by offering champagne (Jacquart nonetheless) or mimosas, and unlike in AA First, in real glasses. @:-)

The DL Tumi amenity kit. Meh.

IFE worked well.

I have had so many bad Michelle Bernstein meal on DL domestic that I cringed when I opened the menu. But I'll give DL credit for catering tonight. Good menu and the food was excellent.

Even the wine list is respectable and shows, that unlike on AA, inexpensive wines don't have to be swill.

Once in the air, an excellent crew of FAs begin efficient and friendly service. A substantial hot towel about twice as large as BA/AA hot towels.

Cocktail and Stuffed Peppers with whipped cheese and grilled cauliflower.

The Stuffed Pepper was very good.

And the DL tray with soup and salad.

Caprese salad was good.

As was the Wild Mushroom Soup, poured directly from a Thermos into my bowl. Probably the most best way to do it with a 32 pax J cabin which efficiency trumps elegance.

I decided to go with the chicken tonight as even DL's domestic chicken meals are pretty good. Tonight's was really good. Roasted Chicken Bread with mushroom tarragon jus, scalloped potatoes and sautéed spinach.

Mrs. SFO went with the lamb which she said was good.

Nice after dinner cheese and dessert options. Not just the usual lazy US airline ice cream sundae. The selection of sweets was really good.

After dinner and a movie, I turned the seat into a bed and tried as best I could to get a few hours sleep. Despite the nice pillow and duvet this is a far cry from LH or even AA. Then again, it is only J and you get what you pay for. Very narrow seat means little ability to move. And the foot well is so small that you can't turn without removing feet/legs and reinserting. Mrs. SFO was not happy. At around T-90, FAs came around with breakfast. I passed as I was still full from dinner.

All in all, the flight was just OK, especially for the price. Service, food and wine were all excellent. But in the end, this is not First Class or anything close to First Class. IMO, the hard product is terrible and for that reason alone, I would never willingly fly it again on a such a long flight.

Mrs. SFO was not as charitable. And she comes up with such great lines that I write them down just to remember. She is still complaining about the flight. No idea how we got on the subject but at dinner last night she said and I quote "Don't you ever put me on the piece of s**t again". Of course, DL is in good company, as last month she warned me "Don't ever book me on British Airways again." Yep, that's my Princess.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 10, 2014 at 9:28 am
Old Jan 10, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Despite the thousands on deplaning international pax tonight, customs was a breeze as GE worked great with lots of kiosks. On the other hand, our PRIORITY bags were on the carousel towards then end of the lot. A few minutes later we were on the train for the A concourse.

And a few minutes later, we were in a surprisingly crowded SkyClub complete with crying babies and cell phone yappers.

Delta 1618
Atlanta ATL to Denver DEN
767-300ER (originally scheduled equipment)
757-200 International (revised equipment)
757-300 Domestic (last minute sub)
8:08A-9:39A
January 5, 2013

It just keeps getting better and better. In 48 hours, we covered the entire spectrum... from a 767-300ER to a 757-200 International config (nice upgrade) to the lowest of the low, a no-power, no-IFE domestic 757-300.
Even gogo crapped out half way into the flight.

Of course our 4BC on the 767 flowed thru to the 757-200 and then to the 757-300 meaning we were now cross aisle. Surly GA finally agreed to move us to 4CD.

Choice of cereal or "egg, cheese and bacon sandwich". The sandwich was actually pretty good, much better than the Jeff McMuffin on UA.

On time arrival in Denver, to slightly cooler temps than a few hours ago in Santiago.

We had a great time in Argentina. Thanks to everyone for following the trip and for all your kind comments.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
The key with the reconfigured 767s is scoring row 1 where the footwells are massive or getting either an aisle-side window seat or a central seat adjacent to the aisle (not with the table between the seat and the aisle) which have significantly more foot space than your seat.

Storage for me on these birds isn't too much of an issue, because with direct aisle access, I can get to the overhead really easily.

I'm glad to see that the catering and in-flight service was better than on your NRT-SEA route. I am kind of curious what the "princess" would have thought if you all had the same food and service experience with 747 UD seats...

Great report, filled with amazing steaks and other epicurean delights!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thought this bro was puking at first. That is all, carry on.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by amolkold
Great photos! Reminds me of my trip to SCL a couple years ago, though I stayed longer than a few hours. Will you actually use the return portion of your ticket? I know how this ends, I don't know if MrsSFO will be joining you
Thanks amolkold. You mean the return Y ticket. LOL, I know one person that won't be making that trip.

Originally Posted by jason8612
Yup, we managed 3 wineyards in one day.
But when we were in Cape Town in Summer 2012, we did 6 wineyards in a day Which was the same day UA had the 4mile HKG mistake tickets and I was too drunk to use a PC. Oh well good thing they really didn't honor them
Oh to be young again.

Originally Posted by sky303
The key with the reconfigured 767s is scoring row 1 where the footwells are massive or getting either an aisle-side window seat or a central seat adjacent to the aisle (not with the table between the seat and the aisle) which have significantly more foot space than your seat.
Storage for me on these birds isn't too much of an issue, because with direct aisle access, I can get to the overhead really easily.
I'm glad to see that the catering and in-flight service was better than on your NRT-SEA route. I am kind of curious what the "princess" would have thought if you all had the same food and service experience with 747 UD seats...
Great report, filled with amazing steaks and other epicurean delights!
Thank you sky303. Doubtful on ever getting her opinion on DL's 747 UD, as one of her many choice comments after the flight was "I'm never flying Business Class again!"

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Thought this bro was puking at first. That is all, carry on.
LOL. I see what you mean.

Last edited by SFO777; Jan 11, 2014 at 10:03 am
Old Jan 12, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Plat
6 is the most tastings?? Last time we were in Tuscany we did 8-9 tastings in one day , but we went to the wineries local shops in Montelpulciano and this wasn't a day we went to the actual vineyards, so we were just walking from place to place. Needless to say we were feeling quite good by the end of that adventure!

SFO, you hit the nail on the head with complaints about those seats and storage for the pillows. The width didn't bother me as much, but I am not used to real first class yet . Btw, still working on a plan to make it onto lufthansa for our Europe trip coming up!
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:19 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Fabulous report again SFO777.

Nice to see a report on Delta Long Haul - thanks for taking one for the team there and jumping on that grenade. The food didn't look to appetizing but probably gives United Business Long Haul a run for it's money.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:52 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
SFO777-- Thanks for an excellent trip report, I especially enjoyed the portions specific to Argentina. Lots of great information for fellow travelers.

BTW, do let me know if you need assistance with anything related to Argentine Wines....

Cheers from EZE,
Gaucho100K
Old Jan 18, 2014, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Another fine TR, SFO777. Thanks especially for the comments about the Amex Centurion Lounge at DFW. With the Amex Plat/AA lounge access agreement coming to an end in March, I'd been wondering whether to retain my Amex Plat in order to at least access the Centurion lounges. I'm now leaning against it.

I forget whether you've flown the AA 777W F yet. It's not nearly the leap ahead of old AA international F that the 777W J is compared to old J, but it's still a nice improvement. Fully agree about how the FA seniority system can undercut the quality of F service. Probably the best purser I've had on international F was AA, but also had one of the worst FA's flying in that cabin (on a different flight). Hope you luck out with your next AA trip.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Digital01
6 is the most tastings?? Last time we were in Tuscany we did 8-9 tastings in one day , but we went to the wineries local shops in Montelpulciano and this wasn't a day we went to the actual vineyards, so we were just walking from place to place. Needless to say we were feeling quite good by the end of that adventure!
SFO, you hit the nail on the head with complaints about those seats and storage for the pillows. The width didn't bother me as much, but I am not used to real first class yet . Btw, still working on a plan to make it onto lufthansa for our Europe trip coming up!
8-9 tastings in one day?
The DL seats/suites in the 744 UD are much more comfortable and probably the only DL international metal I might fly again.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Fabulous report again SFO777.
Nice to see a report on Delta Long Haul - thanks for taking one for the team there and jumping on that grenade. The food didn't look to appetizing but probably gives United Business Long Haul a run for it's money.
Thanks very much worldtraveller73. Good way to describe it.

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
SFO777-- Thanks for an excellent trip report, I especially enjoyed the portions specific to Argentina. Lots of great information for fellow travelers.
BTW, do let me know if you need assistance with anything related to Argentine Wines....
Cheers from EZE,
Gaucho100K
Thank you Gaucho100K. We really enjoyed Argentina and got a new appreciation for Argentinian wines. The wine region around Mendoza is spectacular.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Another fine TR, SFO777. Thanks especially for the comments about the Amex Centurion Lounge at DFW. With the Amex Plat/AA lounge access agreement coming to an end in March, I'd been wondering whether to retain my Amex Plat in order to at least access the Centurion lounges. I'm now leaning against it.
I forget whether you've flown the AA 777W F yet. It's not nearly the leap ahead of old AA international F that the 777W J is compared to old J, but it's still a nice improvement. Fully agree about how the FA seniority system can undercut the quality of F service. Probably the best purser I've had on international F was AA, but also had one of the worst FA's flying in that cabin (on a different flight). Hope you luck out with your next AA trip.
Thanks Thunderroad. Bummer about the AmexPlat access changes. DL is also canceling their AmexPlat agreement but I still see value in the AmexPlat card. Haven't been on the 77W yet but we are booked on AA50 DFW-LHR at the end of May, part of our return to CMB.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great report! It has been very helpful in deciding whether I should ditch BA upper deck CW for AA 777-200 in F from MIA to LHR.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for another good report, SFO777 - only just catching up with this one.

The DEN Admirals Club looks like a typical North American business class lounge – nothing special, but comfortable enough. There are far worse third party lounges out there. Paying for food and drinks is just awful though!

The snack mix on the DEN-DFW flight really is pitiful for what is essentially a business class offering.

The Amex lounge looks quite good at DFW – certainly better than an average Admirals Club, IMO.

AA’s F cabin on their 772s is starting to look dated now. The menu seems quite limited, particularly the lack of any proper desserts (just ice cream). QF have breakfast cards in International Business, which do work very well (albeit with a much greater selection than AA). However, I really don’t think it’s necessary in First.

I’m quite impressed with the presentation of the meal services – certainly much better than I’ve seen before on AA. It does seem more J than F, however.

Your hotel in EZE looks nice in an old-world way. The cemetery you visited is a little creepy! Loved the bookstore in the theatre. You have some great street photography shots throughout EZE, which looks like an architecturally interesting city.

Seems like AR are one to miss!

I agree the Park Hyatt in Mendoza doesn’t look up to the usual standard. It’s disappointing when chain hotels fail to match up to the brand – the Shangri-La in Cairns was one of those. It was so disappointing we left early and they refunded our entire stay! It was good luck that you were able to move to the wine lodge.

Some of those tasting menus in the wine region seem good value for money – 400ARS which is circa £30!

Very poor that LAN don’t offer even a drink on a 40 minute flight! BA manage snacks and a full bar service on a comparable domestic flight (eg. LHR-MAN).

Santiago looks like a nice city, as does the Sheraton property you stayed in, although the room wasn’t to my taste décor wise.

Neither the DL Sky Club nor the AA Admirals Club looks very good at Santiago.

DL’s BusinessElite catering looks surprisingly good! On a par with AA F by the looks of it. The seat does look narrow, but at least it’s a flat bed, which you can’t be guaranteed of on many airlines eg. LH. Probably slightly unfair to compare it with F - as a business class product it looks pretty OK to me (although admittedly I haven't flown DL).

Must catch up with your other couple of latest reports now!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Somehow I'd missed out on this when you were posting it. A great TR as always. And I'm glad to see that AA got your champagne to you chilled. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.