A Trip to Yemen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip to Yemen

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by DanielW
Thanks, guys! Now to sus out which out of the way place to visit next.

Just the Janbiya I bought at the old city souq:

I noticed this Janbiya in a lot of pictures... why do the locals carry this?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BA Executive Club, CX MPC, Marriot Rewards, Priority Club
Originally Posted by HangukStyle
I noticed this Janbiya in a lot of pictures... why do the locals carry this?
One use I was told is that it is worn as an accessory piece to clothing - the same way we (in the west or east ) wear watches, bags, hats, scarves, etc, as an accessory piece.

It can be very pricey - depending on the quality of material used (gold, silver, ivory, etc,).

Some are passed down from generation to generation and some people have them made to match their personality/style.

Not sure of the other (current) uses.

Also, that was a fantastic trip report.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:25 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by thekfc
One use I was told is that it is worn as an accessory piece to clothing - the same way we (in the west or east ) wear watches, bags, hats, scarves, etc, as an accessory piece.

It can be very pricey - depending on the quality of material used (gold, silver, ivory, etc,).

Some are passed down from generation to generation and some people have them made to match their personality/style.

Not sure of the other (current) uses.

Also, that was a fantastic trip report.
It is part of the national 'costume'. It's worn with a thick belt around the waist. They even wear the scabbard in the airport (sans the knife of course!)
Old Dec 10, 2013, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Awesome photos, Daniel ~ especially those of the Yemeni people. You've definitely got the eye. This has to be one of my favorite photo trip reports ever published here on FT - and that's without a single First Class meal shot! Thanks for this stellar effort!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hauteboy
They even wear the scabbard in the airport (sans the knife of course!)
My guide welcoming some Japanese guests at Sana'a International.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Awesome photos, Daniel ~ especially those of the Yemeni people. You've definitely got the eye. This has to be one of my favorite photo trip reports ever published here on FT - and that's without a single First Class meal shot! Thanks for this stellar effort!
Thank you, Seat 2A. I got into photography before getting the travel bug, but both hobbies have now become quite complimentary:

www.dsw-photo.com
I really enjoyed your report on your recent travels too, so many miles! You'll have to buy a bigger camera though, less chance of leaving it on the plane.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Amazing TR with stunning pics, I am not sure if anyone asked earlier, but what camera/lens did you use?
Old Dec 11, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Wow, this brings back some memories! I spend a month in Yemen some years back. It's truly a remarkable country, well worth the effort to visit. I only wish I had taken pictures as good as these...
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:18 am

Programs: A3 Gold, DL
Great pics

I have always wanted to go to Yemen especially Sanaa and Socotra. Thanks to your pictures, all I can think about now is Yemeni bread and a hot bowl of Salta.
Alexsander likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, guys!

Originally Posted by chicagodesi
I am not sure if anyone asked earlier, but what camera/lens did you use?
Just a Canon 5D3, with the 17-40L, 24L & 50L lenses.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Originally Posted by DanielW
Thanks, guys!

Just a Canon 5D3, with the 17-40L, 24L & 50L lenses.
JUST a Canon 5D Mark III??? No wonder you're getting such amazing shots! Of course you can have the best camera in the world but if you can't compose shots then it's no good, but your photographic skills are quite impressive!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Fabulous trip report. I love the pics of the people. I wonder what their life is like. What is their story.

Nice to read a report on a less frequented, by Flyertalk standards, destination
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Another fantastic report, Daniel! Great photos!
Old Apr 23, 2018, 9:25 am

Hello

Hello amazing photos thanks for sharing your experience and photos with us. And I would kindly like to ask if I can use your photos for a project?
Old Sep 29, 2020, 9:04 pm

Just happened across your trip reports while searching for some info on Afghanistan. Really enjoyed your first and this one on Yemen, especially the photos. A little bittersweet, though, since I fear I won’t be able to visit Sana’a in my lifetime, or if in the future I can, it won’t look like anything like it did. In any case, I appreciate seeing it through your lens. Safe travels to all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.