Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Turkey for Thanksgiving....with a side of Tajikistan, Serbia, Montenegro, and Moscow

Turkey for Thanksgiving....with a side of Tajikistan, Serbia, Montenegro, and Moscow

Old Dec 27, 2013, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Part IX: Podgorica to Belgrade, Serbia on JAT, Metropol hotel

Check-in, security, and immigration were a breeze in Podgorica. .The airport is so small there's no real gates, just one large room on the other side of immigration with multiple doors leading out to busses. .There was a VIP lounge as well, but unfortunately (for some odd reason) Air Serbia had no agreement for business class passengers to use it. .Yes, I said Air Serbia. .So what happened to flying JAT? .Well, for once, I trusted my travel agent (who knew JAT was gone) that I was JAT, but they'd actually rebranded several months prior to Air Serbia when Ethihad took a 49% ownership stake.

Air Serbia flight 173
Podgorica, Montenegro (TGD) to Belgrade, Serbia (BEG)
Depart 15:40, Arrive 16:30, Flight Time 0:50
Airbus A319-100 Registration YU-APE, Manufactured 2007, Seat 2A

15:40 came and went, and no sign of boarding, although the area leading to the door outside was a madhouse. .Finally 5 minutes after scheduled departure, the floodgates were open, and everyone madly rushed our plane:

I was expecting the usual crappy Euro Business by this point, but it was proper 2x2 US-style seating up front...quite nice!

Quickly was asked for a pre-departure, and I asked if by chance they had sparkling wine. .She went to the galley, and brought it on a tray with my glass to pour in front of me, and OMG it was Veuve! .Now THAT is seriously impressive on a 50 minute flight gate to gate!

Just because it was novel...the in-flight magazine:

Due to the delay, we ended up taking off right at sunset:

The sunset only got better as we climbed:

Now the shocking part...a full cold meal on a 50 minute flight. .That meant more Veuve, since nobody else was drinking and I couldn't let it go to waste!

...and without the saran wrap:

Was seriously impressed by Air Serbia, and I went into it expecting a pretty crappy flight. .No trouble getting a taxi, and was maybe a 20 minute drive to my hotel, the Metropol Palace, an SPG Luxury Collection property. .Approaching just after sunset:

So, my thoughts on the hotel:

The staff all-around were excellent, especially the one at the front desk who checked me in. .Every time I'd walk by after that she'd remember to ask me by name if the last thing she helped me with worked out well - from restaurants to directions, etc. .Also, the staff in the health club and spa were good. . Yes, I said spa...the SPG platinum benefit was (on top of the normal 500 points) a 30 minute complimentary massage...which I upgraded to 60 minutes for only 30 euros. .What a deal! .Wasn't the best massage I've ever had, but for the price paid it was outstanding! .I also used the gym, which was pretty good for a hotel gym. .Plenty of cardio machines, and a decent small weight area. .Back to the staff, I used the hotel car service to the airport since I had to go at oh-dark-thirty, and although the driver loved going over 140kph on the highway and was way too chatty and caffeinated for that hour of the morning, it was a comfortable trip.

The room was an upgrade to something the size of a junior suite, but was called an executive deluxe or some such thing. .Very comfortable, nicely furnished and all-around pretty good. .Nothing outstanding, but solid. .Nice rain shower, comfortable bed, and good workspace with lots of outlets.

The biggest drawback of the hotel to me was the executive lounge. .Don't get me wrong, the happy hour munchies were decent, and there was plenty of wine, but the ambiance was a serious shortcoming. .Remember me mentioning above that Etihad had taken a 49% stake in Air Serbia? .Well, both nights I was there, I was one of maybe 3 non-Etihad employees in the lounge, and there were 20+ ethihad crew clearly on layover turning it into their own private party room. .They talked as if nobody else was there (and in fairness they WERE 90% of the people there) and the staff clearly knew all of them well and laughed and joked with them. .So, just a note to the hotel, I know you're probably making a fortune off them, but it's important to be considerate of your other guests as well.

Only ate in the hotel one time, and that was breakfast because it was included in my corporate rate. .Breakfast spread was absolutely fantastic. .I normally don't drink juice unless it's fresh, and they had amazing fresh-squeezed orange juice. .Great pastries, lots of hot items, cold cuts, fruits, cheeses - you name it. .The breakfast was a huge positive.

All in all, I'd definitely return again when I'm in Belgrade. .I'm sure had I reached out to the staff about the lounge issue they would have proposed something, and it really was a very minor distraction...considering I love airline talk most of the time!
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:26 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Come on, Portuguese is almost exactly the same as Spanish!*

*It is totally not the same as Spanish.
Hi from Khartoum!

Portuguese is like a drunk Sean Connery trying to speak Spanish.

I haven't studied/know any Portuguese other than basic obrigado/bom dia. Though I can read it sort of.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Portuguese is like a drunk Sean Connery trying to speak Spanish.

I haven't studied/know any Portuguese other than basic obrigado/bom dia. Though I can read it sort of.
Great. We're screwed in Angola.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Part X: Belgrade, Serbia

After arriving and checking into my hotel, I headed out to dinner. .The choice was Lorenzo and Kakalamba, which got great reviews on TripAdvisor and sounded fun on top of it.

I'll admit, when I walked in and saw this in the entryway I was a little scared:

...and when I sat down and got the menu, I was even MORE scared:

The view from my table:

...and right behind me on the wall:

View to the side from my table:

Started with a glass of local wine which was quite good, and a meat and cheese plate, that I was assured was appropriate for an appetizer. .Um, I think not. .I ate it and was way too stuffed to even consider a main course. .It was, however, delicious!

...of course there's always room for dessert though. .A baklava and some plum brandy:

Too many pics for flyertalk, however, so the rest of the post is on my blog at this link!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Wow, Air Serbia seems legit. Reasonable pricing? Because if so taking a terrible euro business flight intra Europe would seem foolish.

Your progressive reaction to that restaurant seems warranted, appropriate.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Wow, Air Serbia seems legit. Reasonable pricing? Because if so taking a terrible euro business flight intra Europe would seem foolish.

Your progressive reaction to that restaurant seems warranted, appropriate.
Can't speak to pricing - it was work-paid so full-fare J, but that said it was hardly $200 for the short segment.

My progressive reaction? You mean LOL the decor...it looks delicious LET'S EAT?!
Old Dec 29, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Started with a glass of local wine which was quite good, and a meat and cheese plate, that I was assured was appropriate for an appetizer. .Um, I think not. .I ate it and was way too stuffed to even consider a main course. .It was, however, delicious!

It looks delicious too but I have to say it's food enough to be a full course.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 9:09 pm

Love the kitschy restaurant pics, awesome!

Would love to know how the Khartoum trip went too. There's cheapish flights there from DXB at the moment, and would be keen to know if you can do a 3-4 day 'weekend' trip there.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 10:28 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by DanielW
Love the kitschy restaurant pics, awesome!

Would love to know how the Khartoum trip went too. There's cheapish flights there from DXB at the moment, and would be keen to know if you can do a 3-4 day 'weekend' trip there.
Seconded.

I envy your bevy of options from your current base for quick, weekend trips. I take weekend trips to Dallas, while you have an option to Khartoum.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 4:52 am

Seconded.

I envy your bevy of options from your current base for quick, weekend trips. I take weekend trips to Dallas, while you have an option to Khartoum.
Yep, I figured I've got to make the most of living relatively 'central' to these places.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Part XI: Belgrade to Washington, DC on Lufthansa

Normally, I wouldn't make too big of a deal of yet another transatlantic with Lufthansa. I've posted many, many reviews of it. However, see, this time I jinxed it. I kept promising another Lufthansa first report and...the upgrade didn't clear. I was to be stuck with the commoners...in business! Anyways, scroll back to 4 in the ungodly morning when my alarm woke me from my slumber. Well, it didn't so much wake me as it did annoy me - I'd strategically put the phone on the other side of the room so I'd get up as quickly as possible, since I'd only given myself 30 minutes to get out the door.

Check out was quick, I think there was a shower that I don't remember, I know there was a can of Red Bull I don't remember...and I was off. I'd booked the hotel car, figuring there was no telling what a taxi would be like at this hour. I should have stuck with the taxi. My driver insisted on doing his best Nascar impression, gunning it at 140-150 kph the entire way down the highway, all the while telling me about his side job as Serbia's most famous iPhone repairman. I kid you not. I suspect he had a lot more Red Bull than I did.

Got to airport way early, and check-in and passport were a total non-event. .The agent harassed me about the weight of my carryon (around 12.5 kg) but eventually gave in as she wasn't prepared to argue at this hour.

...because EVERY airport needs a tree with Bambi!

Was given a lounge invite, only to find the lounge didn't open until .5:30. .Ugh...and I really wanted coffee. .I hung around until 5:30, and the lounge dragon showed up...I asked if she was opening, and she said "no, another hour." .So much for the promises of the sign...and coffee. .Womp womp.

Gave up and headed to the gate, resolving to put my uncaffeinated self to sleep on the flight. .Quick and easy security at the gate, and we were off.

Lufthansa Cityline flight 1411
Belgrade, Serbia (BEG) to Frankfurt, Germany (FRA)
Depart 6:15, Arrive 8:25, Flight Time 2:10
Embraer ERJ-190, Registration D-AECF, Manufactured 2010, Seat 1A

Not much to say, I slept most of the flight, but the food was tasty as usual. .Why oh why can't US airlines get something SO simple right once and a while?!

Uneventful flight, landed in Frankfurt right on time, and even got a jetbridge. .Miracles never cease! .Lufthansa Senator lounge where I ran into a coworker randomly and...actually did work! .Gasp. . Oh, and had three or four espressos. Can't skip that part. .Soon, resigned to business class, I trudged to the gate for my final flight of this three week trip.

[IMG]Lufthansa flight 418
Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) to Washington DC, Dulles (IAD)
Depart 12:25, Arrive 15:20, Flight Time 8:55
Boeing 748-8i, Registration D-ABYH, Manufactured 2013, Seat 5D[/IMG]

Ok, I'm being a bit of a princess here, it really wasn't so bad. .I had aisle access, nobody climbing over me, the front row, etc etc. .Honestly, it was all quite good. .Made better with champagne and cashews. .Ok, so it's not macadamia nuts, but I'll live.

For the life of me I don't remember what this starter was (duck maybe?) but I do remember it was quite tasty and I finished all of it.

Now the main, I remember. .Why? .Because I was just served the same thing...in FIRST last week from Miami to Frankfurt. .Seriously, business and first have the same entree choices now? .Anyways, it was goose, and it was absolutely delicious. .Definitely the best business meal I've ever had on a plane. .Funny, it didn't taste as good in first....

Cheese, dessert, and port? .Yes please.

At this point, I crashed for about four hours. .I was up way too early, and exhausted from a long trip. .I woke up maybe an hour before the final meal, which was quite tasty actually.

...and that's pretty much it. .Landed at Dulles in the middle of the transatlantic rush, and thanks to Global Entry was through in a flash. .Still took another 30+ minutes for bags though, since Dulles can't ever seem to get baggage delivery sorted. .UGH. .Cab home got stuck in traffic. .Then I got home and my car battery was dead, etc, etc etc. .At least I was home though...For five whole days....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.