Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Taipei on Cathay/Dragonair

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2013, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Visited Jianguo Weekend Flower market.

Chanced upon a protest assembly. Seemed more like a family day with kids and grandmas involved in it again!

Buffet lunch at a restaurant offering Taiwanese delicacies at a rather new cafes/art gallery/restaurants hangout place, Huashan Park.

More Taiwanese food!

More night markets. I will really miss them...

On the day of departure, I received an email from CX that my original TPE-HKG sector on CX421 had been delayed for 2hrs. CX would rebook me on either the earlier CX475, departing 45min before, or a later flight at 1pm. However, as I only checked my email quite late, we still proceeded to the airport as our scheduled timing and see what the CX agents could do.

Reaching Taoyuan Terminal One, CX check-in desks were seeing a long queue. We proceeded to the bag-drop queue having done online check-in earlier. While queuing, a CX ground supervisor was asking around if anyone was booked on CX421. We immediately signalled that we were flying on the flight and was connecting to SIN. The supervisor immediately pulled us and one other passenger aside to an available counter and told the check-in agent to process us for the earlier CX475. Apparently they were trying as far as possible to shift passengers with connections to the earlier flight. At this time, it was only less than 40min before the departure of CX475, but the agents still managed to put us on the flight, even though we had to be separated. Well, better than waiting for the later flight and missing our connection in HKG. Also, I would have no idea what plane was operating the flight.

CX Desks

Terminal One was renovated, and it actually looked quite nice!

Boarding passes for both sectors.

Cleared immigration and security with no hassles and proceeded to the gate B6, which was the first gate just after passing through the duty free shops. Boarding was already in progress.

18 November 2013
Cathay Pacific
CX 475
Taipei Taoyuan (TPE) - Hong Kong (HKG)
B777-300ER
B-KPT
Economy Class

Boarding in progress when we reached the gate.

Curious as to what plane would be operating this flight. Turned out to be an almost brand new B773ER! I would have thought that CX would probably send a higher capacity 744 or 773 instead.

Straight down the aerobridge, with newspapers available at the door, Don't remembering them available at SIN, nor at HKG.

Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:29 am
Original Poster

This plane would be a 4-class fitted B77W. Upon entering the plane, we first passed through Business class, which occupied the entire cabin between Doors 2 and 3.

How I wished I was seated in one of these seats, which are one of the nest Business Class seats out there.

Passing through the mini Premium Economy, which did not seemed too spectacular other than wider seat pitch.

Reached by seat, 64A, at the mid section of the rear economy cabin. CX only has slightly more than 180 Y seats on this premium-configured aircraft, and it appeared that it was totally full in Premium Economy and Economy. Apparently quite a number of frequent flyers were upgraded to Premium Economy. Never mind, I am perfectly comfortable in the new Economy seat.

CX 773 beside, preparing for a flight to KIX. CX has a huge operation out of TPE, with 5th freedom flights from TPE to various cities in Japan, as well as Seoul.

Flight map.

Fiddling with th IFE again, I discovered that this plane was fitted with underbelly camera! Here, it was showing the pushback tug at the nose gear!

Last stages of boarding in progress. The crew were also handing out blankets to passengers who needed them.

And another CX plane arrived.

Pushback was delayed as we were still waiting for a few missing/late passengers, probably the ones who were transferred from the later delayed flight. In the end, we only started our pushback almost 30min after STD.

Safety video shown during pushback. Apart from the introduction, it was exactly the same animation as the one shown on KA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LlQWiwW_I

TransAsia A320 parked at the remote stands.

Another CX plane, a B744, parked at the remote stands too. Wondering what is it doing there with its flaps fully extended.

Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Beautiful trip report - your photos from the markets were excellent!
Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Taxi to Rwy 05L for departure.

Finally took off from TPE, more than 40min behind schedule! Luckily the flight was only a short 1hr20m and CX has padded the flight at 1h55m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNyoTzj1zQ

Climbing out of TPE and making a left turn back.

Seat belt signs switched off and a service announcement was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3iS1o-cizE

Flying along the coast of Taiwan with some nice scenery.

Studio CX was switched on shortly after departure. With headset available in the seat pockets, we were able to enjoy AVOD IFE even on this very short flight. Similar to KA, movies were unavailable on this sector.

I chose to watch a Taiwanese music award concert.

Wasting no time, the CX crew sprung into action and started the meal service. My aisle was served by a very friendly and smiley Taiwanese crew who provided exceptional service to passengers.

Apparently, CX has also changed its meal service on the HKG-TPE sector. Gone are the sandwiches and similar to KA, boxed meals are now served. Crew also handed out a pack of oolong tea and a cutlery pack.

Fearing that the piping hot meal box might contain the same fried rice as on KA, I was pleasantly surprised when I lifted the lid to find that it contained a Taiwanese traditional dish of braised minced pork with rice, along with half a hard-boiled egg and some pickles. It was truely delicious!! I don't mind getting a second serving!

Old Nov 24, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Great meal!

An exemplary moment of the great service on CX, the pax seated beside me had obviously not pre-booked a vegetarian meal. When she asked the crew serving us whether the meal contained meat, which the meal did, she initially refused to have the meal, just requesting for the oolong tea. However, the stewardess then offered to prepare vegetarian cup noodles for her after the distribution of meals and informed the purser about it. After distribution of meals, she came back and ask the pax if she would like fruits or instant noodles as they have both, and miraculously present a fruit platter after the pax preferred to have the fruits. Wonderful service by CX!

Flying across the straits between Taiwan and China.

CX crew in action, serving hot beverages while clearing the meal boxes.

Nice scattered clouds below.

Connecting flight information was shown. My next flight, CX635, would be departing from gate 69. Lots of connecting pax on this flight.

73 miles to go.

Almost there, but we were put in a holding pattern for about 10min due to heavy traffic in HKG. This resulted in a slightly late arrival.

View from underbelly camera while flying circles.

Headphones were collected and IFE was switched to flightmap and camera view mode. Descending past some outlying islands.

Final approach from the west, with some construction (a bridge?) going on in the sea.

And landed on Rwy07L, about 15min late.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClLpKp3BkfQ
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Nice TR. Would've loved to see a bit more from Taipei. ^

Originally Posted by ycp81
Final approach from the west, with some construction (a bridge?) going on in the sea.

I'm not a hundred percent sure but I would assume that it's the HK-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge being built.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
Good to know they serve Fried Rice not Bun or Sandwich on TPE route. Thanks great TR.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Following the centreline on the belly cam.

JinAir B738 taxi behind us.

Shanghai Airlines and Dragonair.

Parked at Gate 48 beside a B773.

Up comes the catering truck.

Disembarking with crew bading farewell along the aisle.

A shot of the new Economy seats. I would rank it as one of the best and most comfortable Economy class seats currently in the market.

Premium economy

Business Class. Nice for CX to have orchid decorations at the seats!

The neighbouring B773 aircraft. Would be having a 1h40m wait for the connecting flight back to SIN.

Again, even with the heavy load, it was a rather pleasant short flight on CX.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

And on to the final leg of my Taipei trip. Did not visit the lounge this time round, instead just spent the transit time shopping for some HK goodies. Also did some plane spotting.

One of the many CX A333s

SQ A380, which would be following just behind us all the way to SIN.

Countless CXs and a hidden Royal Brunei.

First "live" glimpse of a BA A380! Almost every other A380 operator (BA, SQ, MH, TG, EK, QF, KE, CZ) seemed to be sending their whalejets to HKG!

18 November 2013
Cathay Pacific
CX 635
Hong Kong (HKG) - Singapore (SIN)
B777-300ER
B-KPC
Economy Class

Again, a 4-class configured B773ER with the latest cabin products would be flying us back to SIN. Departure was from gate 69, which was a pretty long trek from the East Hall.

Boarding had already commenced and we boarded immediately. Again passed the lovely Business Class cabin.

Through Premium Economy.

And to my seat at the front Economy cabin. Economy ended up being totally full again! Not sure about the premium cabins though.

At the gate.

2566km to home.

Pushback was slightly delayed due to a group of late passengers.

Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Taxi to runway.

Takeoff from Rwy07R for the 3h15m flight to SIN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX4fOeqI5VY

Nice scenery of Kowloon and Hong Kong Islands during the ascent!

After the initial nice views during climbout, it was just clouds and sea for almost the rest of the flight.

IFE turned on after departure.

On this flight, peanuts was first distributed by the crew.

Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:01 am
Original Poster

A choice of beverages were also offered from trays. I had a coke with ice.

Started on my entertainment for the flight, the movie "Pacific Rim". CX's new IFE monitors in Economy offered very high resolution and is, till now, the best quality IFE monitor I have encountered so far.

High above the clouds.

Meal was served soon after. No menus offered and choices were asked verbally. We had a choice of Fish with rice or Vegetarian penne pasta. Went for a choice each. I still think that even with no physical menus in economy, CX should at least invest in displaying menus on their IFE system.

Meal tray. Comes with cut fruits, warm bread roll and butter, as well as the signature Haagen Daz ice cream.

Choice of Vegetarian penne pasta. It actually tasted better than it looks.

Fried fish with beancurd skin, vegetables and steamed rice. This tasted ok.

Enjoying vanilla Haagen Daz at 37,000 feet!

And Chinese tea to end the meal.

Along the Vietnam Coast.

Old Nov 29, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: FT

you could not have had a better flight path and weather to take this outstanding shot!!

great TR. CX Y ... dare say it... is something i could easily get used to.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Passengers occupied with their IFE choices.

Flying into bad weather while nearing Singapore.

Starting descent into Singapore. Headsets collected, cabin prepared and Studio CX switched off around 20min before landing. With more airlines (including SQ currently on-trial) offering gate-to-gate IFE, I guess it will be soon that CX pax also "demands" similar "treatment". Well at least CX does not switch off its IFE as early as SQ used to.

Left with flight map and belly camera. Nearing home.

Into Malaysia.

Flaps out and over Batam.

Final approach, with the Singapore evening city skyline in the distance.

Touchdown on Rwy02L slightly ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Ft9wI28Pk

Thank you again for flying CX!

Taxied to Terminal One and parked beside a Air Niugini B767.

Disembarking.

Again, a pleasant regional flight on CX, though service is slightly more robotic on this flight, but comparable to a normal SQ flight. IFE is very user-friendly and selection is good enough. However the new Economy seats are definitely a winner, offering much more comfort than most of the other Economy seats I have tried till now. Overall a much recommended and value for money airline.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Hello, ycp81! Thanks for sharing the wonderful trip report. I love that buffet with traditional Taiwanese food (and unlimited Taiwan beer)! I went there twice when I visited. Night market food is still my favorite. I ate almost every dinner at different night markets. Also, the Jianguo Weekend Flower Market is just around the corner of my Taipei home. It's great to see that you had a great time in Taipei, my hometown!:-:
Old Nov 30, 2013, 5:52 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Apparently, CX has also changed its meal service on the HKG-TPE sector. Gone are the sandwiches and similar to KA, boxed meals are now served. Crew also handed out a pack of oolong tea and a cutlery pack.

was there no meal option on CX TPE-HKG route? (apart from pre-booked special meals)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.