Beaches of South East Asia: Introduction
Beaches of South East Asia: KLM World Business Class SIN to DPS
Beaches of South East Asia: Grand Hyatt Bali
Beaches of South East Asia: The Laguna Bali
Beaches of South East Asia: Malaysia Airlines Economy Class DPS to BKI
Beaches of South East Asia: Hyatt Regency Kota Kinabalu
Beaches of South East Asia: Shangri-la Tanjung Aru Resort Kota Kinabalu
Beaches of South East Asia: Malaysia Airlines Economy Class BKI to DPS

Over the course of my travels in South East Asia, I have done some trips to 2 notable beach destinations. One of them is the island paradise of Bali, sometimes also known as the island of the gods. Another trip I undertook was for a friend’s wedding, and this time to Kota Kinabalu located on the northern tip of the island of Borneo which is shared by Indonesia and Malaysia.

As usual, I look for value while buying tickets and I do enjoy a bit of fifth freedom flights at times, having reviewed the Lufthansa service between Jakarta and Singapore. And I started off this trip report with a review of KLM’s Business class service from Singapore to Bali. The cost for the one-way segment of this trip is around S$320 which was pretty good value for Business class. This would be my first trip back onboard KLM after a very long hiatus. I remember taking a flight on their Business class when they travelled from Singapore to Jakarta before and receiving their famous Delft blue houses. Other than KLM, Qatar flies on the same route as well but too bad they were not as cheap as KLM.

Having been to Bali several times before, I would review the Grand Hyatt Bali which I stayed in a previous weekend visit and The Laguna which is a Luxury Collection property that is part of SPG. I particularly remember The Laguna because it was a property I stayed at when it was still known as the Sheraton Laguna. That time was also my first visit to Bali and as a kid, I did enjoy the lagoon pools.

I would also get to experience a domestic flight onboard Malaysia Airlines, of which the first segment from DPS to KUL was reviewed in a comparison test. Once in Kota Kinabalu I stayed at 2 different property, one being the Hyatt Regency located in the city centre and the other being the Shangri-la Tanjung Aru where the wedding is held at. The return flight back to Denpasar will mark the end of the trip report which hopefully will showcase 2 different beach destinations for travellers and provide an overview of the means to get to these 2 tropical paradise!

Above links will direct to my blog and I will post some photos of the highlights here:

KLM Delft Houses by A. Wee, on Flickr

KLM Boeing 777-300ER by A. Wee, on Flickr

Reception Seating Area by A. Wee, on Flickr

Beach at The Laguna by A. Wee, on Flickr

MH New Boeing 737-800 by A. Wee, on Flickr

View of Kota Kinabalu by A. Wee, on Flickr

Dusk at the Resort by A. Wee, on Flickr

Boarding Malaysia Airlines 737-800 by A. Wee, on Flickr
Old Nov 16, 2013, 11:38 am

Your pics are amazing.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:57 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by ofasho
Your pics are amazing.
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the compliments ofasho!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.