Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 8 – One Faux Terminal, Delta’s Terminal in SoHo

Landing at JFK T4 on a Monday 4:30pm with no Global Entry, is a huge problem, US CBP took a whopping 80 minutes today for processing. According to the immigration agent, that wasn’t the worst lines ever yet.
And with no Etihad limo set up, it took another 20 mins to wait for cab.
Today was not my day in New York and with even more traffic on the Van Wyck
After exiting EY 101 at 4:20pm, I finally arrived at the jfkeze hostel at 6:45pm, tonight was a horrible failure.

After going out for a quick dinner, we had some strategy sessions and soon I had a full day tomorrow prior to going back to Amman on RJ 262.

That being said, this one day 1 flight was starting to get to me, so time to pass out for a huge sleep and some huge resting.

The next day started quite slowly, I’ve been in NYC what, too many times spent there prior so just decided to check out the temporary Terminal 4 Delta Airlines had set up in Soho.

Almost there, Freedom Tower

You’re not in New York City without taking a subway ride

You have to give credit for creativity when it’s due

The Faux Delta Airlines Terminal 4

As many people had done earlier, I missed out the free giveaways of key chains and water bottles. And since the Delta lunchbox isn’t really designed for international travel, I left sadly empty handed

And even if it’s for a quick trip up to New York, you still have to absorb the New Yorkiness that is Times Square

Part 8 Continues Below
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
As if we dont have enough of Xinhua in HKG, now it has invaded NYC media

Congrats to the Baltimore Ravens for winning the Superbowl
But seriously its May, come back after Turkey Day, many thanks ^

Youve got to be kidding me, I escaped the May humid heat/wetness of HKG at 86 Fahrenhait
Only to trade in a humid hot NYC at 85 Farhenhait, epic fail

Until next time

Jfkeze, remember the Pittsburgh TEQM run of 2010?
Remember the Dead Hooker Inn and that Applebees is considered fine dining in those parts

And wanting to get away from hot weather, I retreated back to the hostel for some repacking and extra rest for tonights flight onboard Royal Jordanian Economy

Next Part
Part 9 What We do for Miles and Status, Royal Jordanian Economy Class JFK AMM BKK
Old Nov 7, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Fantastic TR so far--amazing that it's just getting going! Thanks for taking so much time to write it for the rest of us.

PH AUH looks great... can't wait for our stay in Jan!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Great report as always SHF! They seem to have become quite frequent these days

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Part 9 What We do for Miles and Status, Royal Jordanian Economy Class JFK AMM BKK
Holy moly, that doesn't sound like a fun trip. When was the last time you did a long haul in coach?

Looking forward to the rest!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Fantastic TR so far--amazing that it's just getting going! Thanks for taking so much time to write it for the rest of us.

PH AUH looks great... can't wait for our stay in Jan!
Thank you DC777Fan, very happy to see what the wonderful comments the forum has given me.
I said, I started prepping for this TR about Labor Day and we're about 3 weeks away from Turkey Day?
Long time in the making for sure ^

As to PH AUH, I found it a slightly too old for my liking.
I mean I'm not trying for an all inclusive Dominican Republic/Cuba/Mexico and drink my brains off and hook up , but the crowd isn't quite for a "Young-Un"
A bit of the old money feel if you ask me.

However, if you are moreso, late 20s and up, long term relationship/about to marry/honeymooner bf/gf group, then I think the PH AUH is the perfect place to go. @:-)
A place to enjoy some privacy fun and to enjoy each other's company in the sand/sun

Originally Posted by LH4116

Holy moly, that doesn't sound like a fun trip. When was the last time you did a long haul in coach?

Haha LH4116, glad to hear it.
My TR is nowhere near as frequent as SFO777, but that is simply impossible

RJ Y JFK - AMM - BKK, i personally think the title gives it away but I have a better explanation at the start of part 9.

Good question about the Y
Give me 5 mins to look up my BA97/openflight lol
Last time Long Haul Economy outside of that MH/RJ/AA Y RGN - KUL - BKK - AMM - JFK - YYZ
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

RJ Y JFK - AMM - BKK, i personally think the title gives it away but I have a better explanation at the start of part 9.

Good question about the Y
Give me 5 mins to look up my BA97/openflight lol
Last time Long Haul Economy outside of that MH/RJ/AA Y RGN - KUL - BKK - AMM - JFK - YYZ
Hmm, outside of anything under 4 hours and not considered Economy.
I only have this looking back the last couple of years and this is what I dug up.

Aug 2012 - RGN - KUL - BKK - AMM - JFK - YYZ on MH/RJ/AA

Feb 2012 - YYZ - JFK - ZRH on AA
Written here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post21149862

Apr 2011 - YYZ - JFK - LHR on AA
Also Written here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...aa-y-ba-f.html

Finally - Jul/Aug 2009 - YVR - HKG - YVR on CX

Simply the answer of SHF flying Long Haul Economy is "It is a Really Rare Event", and usually have a specific purpose as to why I would do it.
The ones I listed above, Oopsy Fare, 2x AA 20K off-peak reward, and EXP Qualification.
Basically I reiterate what I've said when someone else on my last TR ask me, I would do Long Haul Y, but it better made some serious sense before I would do it. @:-)
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
SH Francis, this is just Wow!!!!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:13 pm

Simply the answer of SHF flying Long Haul Economy is "It is a Really Rare Event", and usually have a specific purpose as to why I would do it.
Hehe well I suppose you'll at least get an idea of how the other 99% (of the world population, not of the plane since the pointy end obviously seats more than 1% flies)

Spending $900 on a long haul in coach isn't really worth it these days when you have cheap premium fares, and buy miles promos. My only two Y long hauls have been error fares, then it's worth enduring the discomforts
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karung99
SH Francis, this is just Wow!!!!
Thanks karung99, hearing it from an Evangelist, wonderful ^

Hehe well I suppose you'll at least get an idea of how the other 99% (of the world population, not of the plane since the pointy end obviously seats more than 1% flies)

Spending $900 on a long haul in coach isn't really worth it these days when you have cheap premium fares, and buy miles promos. My only two Y long hauls have been error fares, then it's worth enduring the discomforts
Oh wait LH4116, I'm not the 1 Percent?
Just Kidding
Maybe for those flight hours maybe, the 99.9% time on the ground I am a 99 Percenter
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Part 9 – What We do for Miles and Status, Royal Jordanian Economy Class JFK – AMM – BKK

I had a comment in my previous trip report, the SQ Suites one, and the some of the early replies in this one
Does SHF fly Long Haul Economy and the answer is…

I certainly would if the right motivations came, and this is definitely one of those cases.
In the summer of 2012, I had changed my home base from YYZ/BUF to HKG. Of course in a pricy flying hub of HKG, my requalification for AA EXP just became that much harder and a bigger headache

Then in June 2012, after the big explosive Round 1 Rangoon fare had passed, this little less talked about RJ Economy fare for RGN-JFK was still lingering around for over a month.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...-f-thread.html
Base fare, 18 dollars one-way, 36 dollars Return in Full fare Y code so it earned 1.5x EQP in the AAdvantage Program, was fully changeable after 1st leg flown and fully refundable too.
So a simple routing of RGN – BKK – AMM – JFK return earned 19.9K EQM, 29.9K EQP or a whopping 39.9K RDM for an EXP, all for a great price of $476.24 US.
So 1.1 Cents an RDM or in my case, a very clutch EQP crediting value of 1.5 Cents a EQP, this went a long way to my EXP requal.
That being said, I wasn’t stupid or crazy enough to do a continuous 48 hrs of flying in Royal Jordanian Economy, so I broke it up for use in my various trips and this was one of them where I put a RJ flight into use.

May 21, 2013 – Tuesday
RJ 262 JFK – AMM 10:30pm – 4:45pm(+1) [May 22] (332/Y)
May 23, 2013 – Thursday
RJ 182 AMM – BKK 2:15am – 3:30pm (332/Y)

After an early dinner with jfkeze, I left the hostel for a painful 24 hours of Economy flying ahead.

I had previously done a RGN – KUL – BKK – AMM – JFK – YYZ in August 2012 in a continuous manner, and an easier RGN – BKK – AMM – JFK in late April 2013.
With those previous experience, the best seats on the RJ 332 Y are by far the Exit Row at Row 25 but that will set you back $80 on the short leg, $100 for the long leg.

An alternate method is to inquire about the bulkhead, row 5 on the 2 seater side, for someone as short as me, they are fine. RJ saves these bassinet seats for babies but will release to an Emerald upon request. So for praying few babies and light load and you can luck out with 2 seats on the bulkhead.

And after a 25 min car ride and a lightish traffic on the Van Wyck, I was back at JFK Terminal 8 at 8:45pm, 30 hours later after landing into JFK, to fly back to the Middle East then onwards to Asia.

New York Kennedy Terminal 8

Royal Jordanian Crown Class Check-In

*Being an Emerald, the contracted Swissport employee remembered me the next time I was back

Luckily there were no lines at the check-in as the rest of RJ passengers tend to check-in early. Security was also light by 9pm as the earlier Euro rush had left JFK earlier. Another massage, guess the Americans really loved feeling me up.
A quick shower, some food at the Flagship Lounge for another 45 mins, and I was back to gate 12 for boarding by 9:45pm.

On both my experiences with RJ, they tend to use gate 12 which was the closest gate to the lounge.

Royal Jordanian Airlines Airbus 330-200

*9th flight, 30111 Miles flown Since Apr 28
Royal Jordanian Airlines 262
New York Kennedy to Amman
Scheduled - 10:30pm – 4:45pm (+1)[May 22], 11 hr 15 min flight
Actual Departure – 10:28pm
On Time Arrival – 4:42pm(+1)
Economy Class, Seat 5C
Food – Dinner, Continental Breakfast
Equipment – Airbus 330-200

Boarding, what is it about boarding, think of gate lice galore, but the agents are very strict so don’t forget to wave your Elite card to get by
Because otherwise you definitely can’t squeeze pass them!

Row 5 bulkhead

Loads were around 60% for this late May flight which worked out well for me, as I had no seat neighbor. The person behind me however was a headache, more on that later.

Despite the light load, most customers had big carry-on which slowed down the boarding process. And we barely closed doors on time at 10:28pm.

Sadly we had additional delays since we left a pax’s wheelchair on the apron, oh really, idiots!!!

With that mishap to reopen the Hold 5, we didn’t push back til 10:45pm.

Hi LAN, I’ll see you in a 3 weeks

Planned flight time was 10 Hours 35 Minutes to Amman

And after a 20 min taxi to Runway 31L, we’re off at 11:05pm to Amman
RJ FAs first comes around the economy cabin to hand out headsets and wet towelettes prior to the meal service.

Sadly the FAs were a bit slow tonight, so no drinking service until 30 minutes after departure and no meals until 45 mins after take-off

Starter Drink

*Poland Springs water not provided for Economy Passengers, please pick up at Flagship Lounge

The Pretty tasty Royal Jordanian Economy Meals

Luckily with a seat next to me open, I can dump the eaten trays in the seat next to me.
And we’re just passed Halifax 1 1/2 hr after takeoff.

[RANT]
Now what did I say about the person behind me earlier, the pair of Jewish man decide to go on a prayer run for the next 90 mins, d’oh
And why did I say Jewish over Arabic, well it’s because all the Arabic ladies around the cabin started looking weirdly and staring the entire time.

Personally I don’t care whom religion one believe in, not my problem. I like many “Young-Uns” keep our own beliefs and support religious freedom; But please have some decency knowing you’re in a public place, and don’t bug the entire cabin whom were trying to get to sleep at midnight NYC time
Guess that philosophy don’t work in that part of the world, they didn’t call it the Holy Land for nothing, so that definitely ate into part of my sleeping hours.
And just pass Newfoundland, the 2 guys finally stopped and went to sleep and I duly did the same quickly.
[RANT OVER]

3 Hours of sleeping and we’re getting close to Land’s End

Part 9 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 9:42 am
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Back to 2 hours more of sleeping and now were over to Mediterranean

Instead of catching movies, I went back to read my book for the next 45 mins and soon were over Greece so it was the right time to open the shades for the Breakfast service

Now my expectation was, it is an 11 Hour plus flight, you would think they serve Hot Dinner + Hot Breakfast, but RJ cheapen out and serve Continental, Im starving
With regards to AMM JFK, RJ does serve a Lunch + Snack Sandwich + Dinner on the 13 Hour westbound flight.

Was very underwhelmed by this.

And just around 4:10pm and approaching Israeli Airspace, weve started our descent into the New Queen Alia Airport.

Final Routing of todays RJ 262

I hope this is Amman, otherwise I made an idiot of myself

Watchtower at an airport

Airplane Sighting in Amman

What is this last one, what airline is this?

Finally on ground at 4:37pm and with a very short taxi in Amman, right on schedule, 4:43pm arrival

With no boarding pass issued for AMM BKK, I head over to the transfer desk for my onward bp, 10 hour connection

Somehow, RJ offers a day-room for long connections, even on mistake fare Full Fare Y fares like mine.

Amman Airport hotel has personnel who will take you from the transfer desk, past Jordanian immigration and onto the shuttle bus to the airport hotel less than 5 min away.
This process takes anywhere between 30 60 minutes, depending on the amount of people at immigration, how many they wish to group together for one bus and finally the nationality of your passport.

Welcome to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan

Part 9 Continues Below
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Amman Airport Hotel

RJ offers provide a full dinner buffet for its transferring guest which is pretty sweet for a fare such as mine.
Wifi Internet will cost however.

So after a full dinner, I took the next 3 hours to catch some extra snooze.

A wake-up call from the front desk at 11:15pm, and a 2nd call to rush me to the bus again at 11:30pm, what’s the rush, I was originally promised to be ready by midnight to take the shuttle back, seems they wanted me at the airport at midnight.

So I quickly packed up and off to another flight again

The New Queen Alia International Airport

*Trust me, its 100 times better than the old crap shack

The Crown Class Check-In is all the way hidden from the front and center entrances, it’s the 1st entrance you see getting onto the on-ramp.

Crown Class Check-In

*I secured another row 5, sweet

RJ also has a back-door security and emigration line, sadly the emigration isn’t staffed so well at that hour so I had to wait for an agent.
Probably could’ve walked out of Jordan if I really tried however.

Amman Royal Jordanian Airlines Crown Lounge

*More Lounge pic are also in Part 20 – Never prayed for an op-up so badly, RJ J/Y JFK – AMM – BKK

The Lounge is on the mezzanine level while the concourse on the main level and the lounge is designed in a horseshoe shape, the photo below describes it better

The Rest of the Lounge

RJ has some warm Arabic dishes with a salad bar, its adequate but don’t expect too too much.
And at 1:25am, I made my way to gate 204 for the 2:15am departure to Bangkok

*10th flight, 34361 Miles flown since Apr 28
Royal Jordanian Airlines 182
Amman to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi, Continuing Service to Hong Kong
Scheduled - 2:15am – 3:30pm, 9 hr 15 mins flight
Delayed Departure – 2:38am, Late Crew Onboard, Late Boarding Release and Complete
Delayed Arrival – 3:35pm
Economy Class, Seat 5C
Food – Snack, Breakfast
Equipment – Airbus 330-200

Boarding time gone and gone by, the crew finally decides to show at 1:45am, really, forget on-time departure.
And at 2:08am, 7 minutes prior to departure, we started boarding, and yet another gate-crash, aye….

With a seat neighbor this time, I had no luxury of 2 seats at the bulkhead.
And door closed finally closed at 2:38am, you would think boarding should start moreso than 7 mins prior to STD, of course we’re running late.
Tonight’s load in the back was around 80%

8 Hours 25 Minutes to Bangkok

Part 9 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 10, 2013 at 8:37 am
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

With the late boarding, and late departure, we were finally airborne at 3:05am, with an expected landing time at BKK at 3:30pm local time

For the 1st meal, RJ serves a snack with sandwiches

1 Hour in, Time to get back to sleep after the meal

Woke up 4 Hours later over India, read for the next hour or so, then off for more sleep

And just near the West coast of Burma, 1 3/4 Hours out from Bangkok, the Breakfast was served.

Final Route for todays RJ 182 AMM BKK

And at 3:05, we started our descent into Suvarnabhumi and parked at the E gates at 3:35pm, slightly later than arrival time.
Think 24 hours of flying economy is enough for me, time to go back to schedule programming, next up Cathay Pacific Business.

Next Part
Part 10 Cathay Pacific Regional Business Class BKK HKG
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:10 am

Oh wait LH4116, I'm not the 1 Percent?
Just Kidding
Maybe for those flight hours maybe, the 99.9% time on the ground I am a 99 Percenter
Haha yes, in this context one either has to be rich or crazy enough to make the 1% ^
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As far as Y class travel goes, that doesn't look too bad.

Interesting that they are using the A330. The J seats are not full flat like on the A340-200 and would be pretty uncomfortable for such a long flight (they are angled lie-flat, but at a steep angle).

Like the new terminal and interesting option with the airport hotel. I've done the JFK-AMM-BKK-KUL connection before (in J) and was not offered a day room, although this was before the new terminal. The Crown Lounge in the old terminal had a few day rooms which you could rent. They were perfectly fine, but a free room at a proper hotel would have been better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.