Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Beware of Baboons stealing your stuff

And sometimes when it’s not your day, then it isn’t, we just missed the last tram ride up to Cape Point

Here’s to some wildlife in Table Mountain National Park, we would see plenty more in Etosha later on this trip

BTW, it is very hard to fight your way in there to take a photo with this sign

A Baboon Family

Another sunset near the Ocean, we will be in the interior this time tomorrow

And a view of the Skyline of Cape Town back into the city

As we were flying out at 7am the next morning, I ended up picking a hotel near the Highway

Leisure Bay Luxury Suites

What in God’s name, what hotel is this and what is that paintjob?

*Sure made the whole place feel a lot sketchy

The Two Bedroom Suite was otherwise fine for the quick overnight

Time to sleep it off, tomorrow is Namibia and time to fly the real SW!!!
SW = Air Namibia

Next Part
Part 51 – SW stands for Air Namibia, not Southwest, SW Business CPT – WDH
Old Jan 22, 2014, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Haha quirrow, they either do what you do above. Or they are the fast ones who pass either on the fast or the slow lane and criss/cross to pass cars.
I am the latter group.
I will agree with the snow, wet snow with Vancouver hills = hopeless driving day.

You're welcome happymom2008, hope I didn't take out too much of your MLK day
Naw...I was home also watching a boatload of movies.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by happymom2008
Naw...I was home also watching a boatload of movies.
In that case I don't feel so bad, stay tuned for more updates
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Part 51 – SW stands for Air Namibia, not Southwest, SW Business CPT – WDH

During the planning stage for the Africa trip, I had set aside about 3 days for Western Cape and 3 days for a Safari. Of course, all those days including a good amount of travel time, plus 1 day inbound from HKG, 1 day outbound to SYD we’ve originally lost already.

With that in mind, I had 3 ideas for a Safari trip, Kruger in South Africa, Etosha in Namibia and Chobe in Botswana. Of 3, the biggest concern was obviously safety, Namibia and Botswana seemed to be safer driving around than South Africa especially at night even though I already broke that rule.
Transportation wise, preference would be Kruger>Etosha>Chobe, flying back to Johannesburg would be cheaper than to go to Windhoek and Maun. Then came the accommodation trouble, most of the place weren’t designed for a 3 person family and the only places I found for Kruger were a bit too Gat-dung for this family to swallow or they were super-duber expensive.
Hence why the idea of going to Etosha National Park came to fruition

And finally why Air Namibia when Comair and South African Airways were in play, it was by far the fastest way to get there. And SAA didn’t have a CPT – WDH service on Saturdays.

Aug 10, 2013 – Saturday
SW 702 CPT – WDH 7:00am – 8:00am (319/J)

Another early wake-up, 4:00am to get up and out of the hotel by 4:45am for the 20 Minute drive back to Cape Town airport.
5:10am, write down the mileage, drop off the key and back under the tunnel and into the terminal building, good bye Summer respite that was Western Cape, I and Mama SHF will be missing 10 Celsius weather.

Cape Town International Airport

Air Namibia Check-In

Check-In was empty although I had already did on-line check-in yesterday. Now seriously, when is the next time I’ll get an Air Namibia boarding pass in hardstock for keepsake???

Security Line were also empty, no doubt since there is only 1 international flight at that hour, the Air Namibia one.

Air Namibia contracted the Bidvest Premier Lounge which was at 1 end of the terminal.

Cape Town International Departures Bidvest Premier Lounge

Lounge had most amenities, internet, eggs, cup noodles, cold cuts, fruit, cereal for breakfast

And around 6:15am, we left the lounge for the 10 minutes walk to gate A6

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100

Really had to do a double take since I’ve never seen an Airbus 319 with 4 overwing exits.
And boarding started at 6:30am as a free for all boarding.

*53rd Flight, 127202 Miles flown since Apr 28
Air Namibia 702
Cape Town to Windhoek Hosea Kutako
Scheduled – 7:00am – 8:00am, 2 hr flight
Actual Departure – 6:38am
On Time Arrival – 7:43am
Business Class, Seat 3B
Food – Breakfast
Equipment – Airbus 319-100

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100 Business Class Cabin

Part 51 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100 Business Class Seat

Across the Aisle

Taped Entertainment with Flop-Down Screens during flight

Seat Recline

The Bulkhead is probably the one row to avoid on this flight

When I originally book this flight going in, we had no expectation whatsoever other than to get us to our destination safely and in a timely order.
And it seems we hit the jackpot, 54 seat pitch on a 319 is hard to beat.

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100 Economy Class Cabin

*Taken Mid-Flight, if I were to seat in this cabin, I really recommend the 1st row after the pseudo-bulkhead, the legroom is at least 45 inches pitch

Door were closed at 6:38am, just 8 minutes after boarding started, final load today was 3J/18Y, holy crap
The fam’s chartered the Business Class today.

The Low Cost South African carriers of Mango and Kulala

Pre-Departure Beverage

Pushback from Cape Town at 6:45am

And airborne at 6:50am for the 1 Hour 59 Minutes flight to Windhoek

Bye Bye Cape Town

The Air Namibia Magazine

Air Namibia operates 3 different equipment, 343, 319 and ER3s

*The 343s are now retired in lieu of 332s

The Overall Schedule of SW, Air Namibia

Part 51 Continues Below
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Service started 20 minutes, I and Mama SHF went for the breakfast where Papa Bear, fell asleep like a Papa Bear

Hot Towel and Air Namibia Placemat

Tried to order the Iced Coffee and ended up getting lukewarm coffee

The Iced Not so Iced Coffee to start the morning

Breakfast was one choice only, eat or not eat

Tray Breakfast

Yogurt

Fresh Seasonal Fruit Plate

Egg Omelette with Sausage and Mushroom

Good Morning South West Africa

Flying over the Kalahari Desert

And around 7:25am Namibian Time, we made our descent into Windhoek Hosea Kutako

Lining up for the 90 Degree left turn into Windhoek Hosea Kutako

The international airport is built out in the middle of nowhere. Eros the domestic airport is located within the city.

Our Air Namibia Airbus 319 on arrival at Windhoek

*The 4 Overwing exits is still throwing me off

Welcome to Windhoek

And a long immigration line in front of us, the Frankfurt landed ahead

One small international airport with 9 flights a day

Time to enter the country of Namibia, pick up the rental car and drive off to the Safari.

Next Part
Part 52 – Who said a Corella isn’t a Safari Vehicle, First Safari to Etosha Nat’l Park
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
That's a pretty impressive recline for a 319!!
plus, I think that's the first real SW trip report on FlyerTalk...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:06 pm

SHF... Thank you for continuing your marvelous TR. I'm in the wrong occupation. I can only imagine and dream to travel like you do. We both have different occupations. I'm a social worker in the field of aging and illness. I hope one day to travel, and mostly I want to see Europe and trace where my family came from. Mostly Germany, Hungary, and Russia.

I have no miles not status, so I'll be a cash paying customer.

I have thought for a long time switching occupations like a courier, but I live outside of CLE, not on one of the coasts.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jfkeze
+1
Nice cabin and more great pics. And a family J charter. ^
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by SFO777
+1
A lot better looking then AA 738 F...
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Air Namibia Airbus 319-100 Business Class Seat
I agree jfkeze, outside of the NH 73G Business Jet, the best recline I've ever seen on a narrowbody.
I think it's the 1st Air Namibia Report, never seen one previously or I couldn't find a detailed one anyway
Well as long as our FT member don't mistaken SW as Southwest

Originally Posted by happymom2008
SHF... Thank you for continuing your marvelous TR. I'm in the wrong occupation. I can only imagine and dream to travel like you do. We both have different occupations. I'm a social worker in the field of aging and illness. I hope one day to travel, and mostly I want to see Europe and trace where my family came from. Mostly Germany, Hungary, and Russia.

I have no miles not status, so I'll be a cash paying customer.

I have thought for a long time switching occupations like a courier, but I live outside of CLE, not on one of the coasts.
Your Welcome happymom2008, still slowly printing/finishing out this HUGE TR
I won't say occupation is the "end all be all of things", yes having some extra spending money really helps.
Firstly, none of us became 200K+ BIS flyer overnight, it certainly took me a long time to get up there.
There are different way to play the game, in fact I think Americans have it good with all of their cc churning availability vs. elsewhere in the world.
Mistake fares, MRs, airlines selling miles are all part of the way to contribute to the goal.
You just need to see which role/method is the right one for you to play, by all means don't leave the kids behind so they have to make their own lunches or take themselves to soccer practice
I don't necessarily believe being in the field you are in restricts your movements, I have alot of friends in those type of fields, youth/child services, therapeutic recreation, most of whom would love to travel and they can find the time.
Sadly it's their better half holding them back lol

And I'll say this, status is nice, but that isn't always necessary.
Better to have a Scareways J reward ticket than buying a United Y ticket and using your Star Gold status if you ask me.
That said I will agree CLE as home will somewhat hold you back just as it was holding me back as a YYZ/BUF person.
Crazily I miss all my American Eagle ERJ-145 flights to ORD/LGA, I had the safety audio memorized lol
And jfkeze can vouch for me on that note

+1
Thanks SFO777, cabin pics came out great, I have the QF 744 F cabin coming up later, took a photo in your honor and memory
And yes, family J or F charter are fantastic, the last time we barely had that was HKG-SIN on a CX 77W F cabin, somebody unknown in 2A, but the 3 of us were in 2D/2K/1K for that flight

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero

+1
A lot better looking then AA 738 F...
Haha El_Chiflero, AA 738 isn't that bad, probably the worst short-haul J product I've ever flown is the AC 762 J back in Dec 2007.

5 Hours in this crap on YYZ-YVR
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-C...ab8d9366e33ecf

Thankfully this plane has now gone to the scrapyard
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Must say that the Air Namibia plane looked nicer than anticipated. Though the cabin does for some reason remind quite a lot of an ex-BMI plane. At least considering the fact that they used the same leather recliners on some of their A319s used for longer trips to Northern Africa and the Middle East.

Food in Business looks fairly decent for a 2hr flight. Any idea what was served in whY?

The IATA code is a little messed up. I would say that WN suits them better (e.g Wings Namibia). Maybe they could play switcharoo with Southwest
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Brings me back to the memory of a fantastic 2011 NYE in Namibia.
5000 Km drive on mixed gravel and paved roads, in the middle of breathtaking scenery, from Etosha to Palmwag to Sossusvlei and just one flat tyre.
Though constant temperature around 40C made me looking for the flight back to Johannesburg.
Can't wait to read your next part.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 1:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
That really is a lot of flying and experiencing some new parts of the world! And the Air Namibia A319 in J really looks quite good.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH4116
The IATA code is a little messed up. I would say that WN suits them better (e.g Wings Namibia). Maybe they could play switcharoo with Southwest
If you recall from your history lessons that Namibia was called South-West Africa until 1990, it might make more sense.

Air Namibia was originally---prior to a few mergers---called "South West Airways".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.