Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubling Down 5 Continent RTW Marathon (EY/SQ/NH/LH F, LA/RJ/LO/OU/SW/SA J +Others)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Bread Basket

Western Appetizer #3, Foie Gras Terrine and Coconut toast with Espresso cream

Three Western Appetizer, overall good now time to jump back to the Japanese Kaiseki Meal

Sakizuke and Zensai

Sakizuke, Marinated butterbur saikyo miso taste with dried bonito flakes

Zensai, Simmered prawn in soy-based sauce, Japanese Omelet with various vegetables, Simmered chicken in Arima-sansho pepper soy sauce, Grilled squid with egg yolk, Sweet Potato Cake, Stewed Kumquat in honey sauce, Salt-Boiled Green soybeans

Nimonowan, Poached Prawn with Kudzu Starch

Otsukuri, Quick-Seared Beef with garlic flavored soy sauce

The Main Set

Shusai, Sake-Steamed Sablefish

Takiawase, Simmered Vegetables in soy-based sauce

Kobachi, Deep-Fried Scallop marinated in piquant-vinegared sauce

Assorted Japanese Pickles

Miso Soup

Onboard-Steamed Rice (Toyama Yumegokochi)

Cheese Selection, Capricorn, Fourme d’Ambert, Westcombe farmhouse Cheddar

Seasonal Fruit Plate

Dessert, Assorted Ice Cream

Pralines and Petite Fours

Japanese Sencha and Hot Towel to end the Service

Full Service took a whopping 2 Hour 25 Minutes as I really went off the board and made a killing on the food department on this flight

Part 44 Continues Below
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Flying past Finland now

Now I know where is Kemi, I had a friend that play hockey there for a winter, talk about REMOTE!

*Still can’t believe he tried to get me to visit him there in Feb..

Cabin dimming for the night ahead

*Sadly no Mood-Lighting

Closable Privacy Shutters in the Middle Suites

Time for the Bed, 1st the Sleeping Pad

Then the bedding and the duvet

Turndown Water

The never setting Sun during the Summer

3 1/2 Hours later, I finally woke up over Siberia

Time to get back to eating, hehe

NH 202 Light Snacks

Sake Accompaniment
Fishcake with Kombu Kelp

Mullet roe cured with soy-based sauce

Three Kinds of Deep-Fried fishcakes

Simmered Squid with soy-based sauce

NH 202 Light Dishes
Hot Japanese Udon Noodles garnished with grated daikon radish and nameko mushroom

Bowl of Rice topped with grated yam

Bowl of Rice with Summer Vegetables soaked in cold miso soup

IPPUDO “SORATON” (Pork Broth) ramen

Cold Corn Cream Soup

Submarine Sandwich – Cheese and Onion

Beef and Mushroom Curry

If there was ever any food I don’t ever want to eat, the Simmered Squid would be it, I ordered that on my last NH F flight, 1 bite and sent it back.
Even SHF has some minimal guidelines in terms of what’s edible

Coke Zero to Start the Service

Appetizer, Garden Salad with Japanese Yuzu Citron Dressing

*Ordered from the menu for the 1st Meal

Main Course, IPPUDO “SORATON” (Pork Broth) Ramen

Part 44 Continues Below
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Dessert, Warm Orange and Gateau Chocolat with Vanilla Ice Cream

After the light snack, went to catch an extra snooze and to watch Beautiful Creatures

And 1 1/4 Hours out from Tokyo Narita, the final service began

NH 202 Arrival Meal

Petite Japanese Course
Kobachi – Simmered Salmon and kombu kelp roll in thick broth

Shusai – Simmered Swordfish in soy-based sauce

Steamed Rice, Miso Soup and assorted Japanese pickles or rice porridge

Accompaniment for steamed rice
Dried Seaweed, Natto (fermented soybeans), Stewed Shimantogawa seaweed in sweetened soy sauce

Petite European Course
Two Kinds Selection of Ham and Cheese

Bread Roll
Accompanied with flavorful premium Charente LESCURE butter and a choice of strawberry confiture, marmalade or honey

Selection of Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Plain Yoghurt with Green Lemon Confiture

Crisp Brown Rice Flakes with Milk

As much of the Arrival menu wasn’t really my type of thing, I’ve gone mixing and matching yet again

Hot Towel to Start

Starter, Simmered Salmon and kombu kelp roll in thick broth

*Was from the Kobachi in the Arrival Meal

Main Dish #1, Bowl of Rice topped with grated yam

Main Dish #2, Hot Japanese Udon Noodles garnished with grated daikon radish and nameko mushroom

Miso Soup

A cup of Green Tea

Dessert, Yuzu Citron-flavored tart with anglaise sauce

Wagashi/Three Varieties of Amanatto – Sugar-glazed chestnuts, toroku beans and sweet potatoes

Pralines and Green Tea to end the Service

Starting our descent over Japan

And there goes my tea in the choppy flying condition

Final Route of NH 202

Coming into Narita

We finally landed at Narita at 2:45pm, 35 Minutes ahead of schedule

Hello again, thanks for the seat, not the FA 2 weeks ago

Part 44 Continues Below
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Welcome to ANA hub at Narita

NH 202 finally parked at 2:52pm, time to pick up the priority parcel and rest up and bring it back to Europe.

Next Part
Part 45 – It’s Another Whalejet, Lufthansa Airbus 380 First Class NRT – FRA
Old Dec 30, 2013, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Excellent!

I also had some fantastic flights on NH flights recently!

You have to be one of the most popular trip report writers in this forum. If not, this trip report really cement it!^

BTW, what cameras have you been using for this trip report if you don't mind sharing the information?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
ANA First really looks stunning, and I am once again impressed with your eating skills. But I guess that's a good thing since they would've otherwise just thrown the food away

Funny about the op-ups on the LH flight. I'm guessing these kids got re-booked into the highest fare bucket, which puts them on the top of the op-up list. So once again LH manages to piss off their loyal SEN/HON customers by not only denying them their upgrades, but giving them away to non-loyal customers who paid peanuts for their flights. Way to go LH!
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I also had some fantastic flights on NH flights recently!

You have to be one of the most popular trip report writers in this forum. If not, this trip report really cement it!^

BTW, what cameras have you been using for this trip report if you don't mind sharing the information?
NH tends to be really good, food/service all good, have to be worry about cabin temperature sometimes though.
Better fly NH than UA though, if I have yet more time, have another adventure from Nov to write about.
"United Airlines, proud to bring you the 90's Experience in Business Class"

And Thank you UA_Flyer, I've always enjoy your photo reports as well likewise so very happy to hear your kind comment.

I'm actually somewhat ashamed to say my photography or knowledge of camera isn't really great.
Maybe I'm just lucking out because I've own this little guy for so long.
For this trip and a couple last report as well, I've been using my Panasonic DMC-ZS8 that I've had since Jul 2011 and it's in fact the only camera I own lol

The ones I've also used the ZS8 are here
Finish with a Bang, Start with a Bang (LX F/OZ F/CA J/CX J/AA F/SQ J/BA F)
Celebrating Birthday onboard Cathay First by Cleaning out the Entire Plane (CX F)
Eminem has his 8 Mile, I’ll take my 4 Mile (United Int’l and Premium Service F)
The Whirlwind Swirl Around the World in 108 Hours (MH J/CX F/AF J/UA F/SQ F)
An Early Birthday Present from Momma (AA 762 J/SQ 380 Suites)

The ZS8 is a little guy that has 16x zoom, but very compact so I can always put/hide it away in the pockets and not look like a tourist everywhere.
I just feel lugging around a SLR around your neck usually screams tourist/"please pickpocket me"
That said, it might be small but performs rather well and takes good pics.
I think I've taken it to the maintenance shop 3 times the last 2 1/2 years, 1 because I dropped my camera on the ground and broke the LCD display and twice for dust in the camera lense.

The only thing my camera really can't do is take night takeoff photos, t

Other than my dust problems and moving night photos, I like it

What would you recommend for a "Point & Shoot" camera to replace the one I have?
I do like my Lumix though

Originally Posted by LH4116
ANA First really looks stunning, and I am once again impressed with your eating skills. But I guess that's a good thing since they would've otherwise just thrown the food away

Funny about the op-ups on the LH flight. I'm guessing these kids got re-booked into the highest fare bucket, which puts them on the top of the op-up list. So once again LH manages to piss off their loyal SEN/HON customers by not only denying them their upgrades, but giving them away to non-loyal customers who paid peanuts for their flights. Way to go LH!
I agree LH4116, NH First is really good and definitely up there in the list, of products worthy of trying out.
True, they would throw out the food regardless
Hey I might not be able to drink much, but I can hold a worthy belt on the eating front

That LH FRA-LHR was an interesting flight, 1) just running to the gate and making it was a miracle itself, 2) I remember talking to my seat neighbor, and the only reason I did that was because I've never seen the entire J cabin, 12/12 seats all occupied by under 25 y.o

Sadly I can't remember if they were involuntary bumped from their ZRH-LHR or if they took a voluntary bump from LH and got promised J FRA-LHR as part of the deal, it's one or the other scenerio.
If it was the latter scenario, who was I to complain, props to the airlines and the other "Young'uns"

I agree LH can't seem to figure out, it's probably not a good thing to fleece the elites, devalue ff programs and act entitled to passenger's money when not deserved.
Or treat the F cabin like some holy grail the only people worthy of flying are suits or HONs.

And to UA_Flyer, LH4116 and every FTer, Happy New Year and Safe Travels in 2014

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Dec 30, 2013 at 10:19 am
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It's always funny how temperature is more of an issue on board an a/c than on the ground-I can be outside in +30-40 degree weather all day and have little problems, but on board an a/c, the lack of fresh air and need for sleep makes it that much more important.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
It's always funny how temperature is more of an issue on board an a/c than on the ground-I can be outside in +30-40 degree weather all day and have little problems, but on board an a/c, the lack of fresh air and need for sleep makes it that much more important.
I agree AA_EXP09, the plane seems to turn into an oven with no air flow at high temperatures, an undesirable sauna
Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, TK Elite, A3 Gold
Great TR SHF! Looking forward to the rest. I actually just got off an NH flight from NRT-FRA and also had an amazing (as usual) experience. The FAs are all smiles and always willing to help out. It's also the little things like re-arranged bed after you come back from the lav, etc. And so many food options.

Also, now they seem to be offering Rimowa kits ex-NRT. I was fully expecting one of the Samsonite ones but it sounds like they may be swapping when they give out Rimowa kits for 2014. I couldn't quite understand what was changing but know that I got one ex-NRT.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Great TR SHF! Looking forward to the rest. I actually just got off an NH flight from NRT-FRA and also had an amazing (as usual) experience. The FAs are all smiles and always willing to help out. It's also the little things like re-arranged bed after you come back from the lav, etc. And so many food options.

Also, now they seem to be offering Rimowa kits ex-NRT. I was fully expecting one of the Samsonite ones but it sounds like they may be swapping when they give out Rimowa kits for 2014. I couldn't quite understand what was changing but know that I got one ex-NRT.

Thanks shogunate03, I agree NH First is a wonderful experience, a top 10 if not top 5 First Class out there.

I'm not sure if they re-arranged my bed every single time, that probably would weird me out a bit.
Food Options a plenty as my photos showed, I reckon JL First has more options though. If I ever get to writing that

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of the Rimowa kits, the hard cases are rather useless for me or maybe I've not found a purpose for them.
So basically all of them are either going to donation shelters or I give them to my friends when they have a trip coming up.
#FirstWorldProblems

Right now I'm using a Bally LX First amenity kit for my electronics which works great.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Part 45 – It’s Another Whalejet, Lufthansa Airbus 380 First Class NRT – FRA

After picking up the high priority parcel from my NRT contact man at T1 Arrivals, it was time to sleep the night away.

I went with economy option with the Hotel Nikko Narita

*Small but does the trick just fine

Jul 16, 2013 – Tuesday
LH 711 NRT – FRA 9:45am – 2:30pm (388/F)

After waking up at 6:00am, stupid jet lag, I began to pack up and my way back to Narita Airport Terminal 1, I think I can enjoy all these First Class flying experience.

Tokyo Narita International Airport Terminal 1

Lufthansa uses the ANA First Class Check-In facilities, away from all the crowd.

After clearing security by 7:40am, I made my way to the United First Class Lounge, been wondering what was SFO777 cheering out that lounge

Tokyo Narita United Airlines International First Class Lounge

That’s it for food?

Somebody made off with the Clam Chowder

Japanese Beer Machine

Part 45 Continues Below
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Time for some plane spotting

The Two Devils of the Lufthansa Group

Thanks for supporting the Canadian Economy with all the lawyer fees, but did you had to waste stupor amounts of taxpayer dollars on an ideological rampage

*Refer to the RGN R3 thread in MR Discussion Forum

Maybe they haven’t had a chance to put out extra stuff at 7:45am, but the offering at the time was very weak, I decided to have a peek prior to heading the ANA First Class Lounge

Tokyo Narita United Airlines Club

Contrary to most other FTers, I actually like this lounge a lot, I think the food offerings they have are absolutely awesome if you like their type of food. Lounge space is adequate for the morning flight but I’ve never been here during the 5pm US flight rush.

Tokyo Narita All Nippon Airways Satellite #4 First Class Suites Lounge

*I personally don’t know why others would prefer the UA lounge over the NH lounge, the only factors I can see the UA lounge better is the outside view and real estate space. Food, Alcohol are vastly superior on the NH side

Work Stations

The Restaurant Section

Food Service Area

Part 45 Continues Below
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Alcohol Selections

Ice Cream for Breakfast

*You know I’m game

Noodle Bar Selection

The SHF Pre-Flight Dining Experience

*I’m going light here, just some light dishes, soup and a bowl of noodles

Nice to see you again, ANA Boeing 737-700 Business Jet, was a very fun flight

And around 9:00am, I made my way to Gate 45 for the Whalejet flight to Frankfurt

Lufthansa Airbus 380-800

*48th flight, 112341 Miles flown since Apr 28
Lufthansa 711
Tokyo Narita to Frankfurt, Germany
Scheduled – 9:45am – 2:30pm, 11 hr 45 min flight
Actual Departure – 9:36am
On Time Arrival – 2:18pm
First Class, Seat 2A
Food – Lunch, Dinner
Equipment – Airbus 380-800

Boarding started at 9:15am after a pre-board for an old lady seated in Business Class.
All 3 Jetbridges were operating this morning and First and Business Class passenger are both welcome via the 1U door.

Walking up to the Holy Grail

Part 45 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; May 7, 2014 at 10:19 am
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa Airbus 380-800 First Class Cabin

Lufthansa Airbus 380-800 First Class Seat

I don’t want to be seen, leave me alone

Part 45 Continues Below

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.