Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Australia & Fiji *PHOTOS* 29k Miles / 5 Carriers - WN Y, VA J, QF Y & J, FJ J, & KE J

Australia & Fiji *PHOTOS* 29k Miles / 5 Carriers - WN Y, VA J, QF Y & J, FJ J, & KE J

Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:14 am

Thank you for a wonderful trip report!

I enjoy it thoroughly and Virgin Australia looks very impressive! They maintain their 77Ws very well. The Loft definitely has the best view of LAX R/W24s.

Fuji Airways' Boeing 737-800s look surprisingly very good and the seats look a bit more comfortable than other airlines' 73H. Maybe FJ uses it for longer flights too.

Thanks for putting together such a beautiful, detailed, and fascinating trip report!

Carfield
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by cloudsurfer1
Great TR ! I'm not one to comment on TR's a lot either, but this one was really good ! You put a lot of time and effort into it. Thanks !

PS. Loved to see the pics of some very familiar places ! ^
Thanks for reading and the compliments!

Originally Posted by mattm199
Thanks for sharing, looks like you packed a lot into a short visit!
I'm glad you enjoyed it - we definitely put in a fair bit of planning and coordinating to be able to visit as many places and take in as many sights as possible during our short available vacation time.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by sudosandwich
holycrap thanks for this.

Heading to Fiji/Australia next year and I can't wait!
You'll love it - we did! I just wish we had more vacation time to enjoy it more!

Originally Posted by Carfield
Thank you for a wonderful trip report!

I enjoy it thoroughly and Virgin Australia looks very impressive! They maintain their 77Ws very well. The Loft definitely has the best view of LAX R/W24s.

Fuji Airways' Boeing 737-800s look surprisingly very good and the seats look a bit more comfortable than other airlines' 73H. Maybe FJ uses it for longer flights too.

Thanks for putting together such a beautiful, detailed, and fascinating trip report!

Carfield
Thanks for reading my report and the kind words!

The cabin and seats on VA were great. I could certainly just sit and plane watch all day at VX's LAX Loft lounge!

I found FJ's 738 business class seats much better than expected. Although, I would avoid the bulkhead row (because of the lack of legroom), if possible.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
You'll love it - we did! I just wish we had more vacation time to enjoy it more!
I'm doing something like this next year, about 40 days of travel time...alone! I'll be staying in Shangri-la Fiji for the most part. Hopefully I'll have time to write a great trip report like yours.

Just curious, were there lots of kids at the Hilton property?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm a Sydneysider and do stay in Sydney hotels. I have never been to the Radisson Blue there. It doesn't look very glamorous at all. Strike that off my list.

Love the report. Lots of pics. Well done.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sudosandwich
Just curious, were there lots of kids at the Hilton property?
I didn't think so - there were some children; but, we certainly didn't notice too many. When we visited the Intercontinental at Natadola beach, I noticed many more children around that resort compared to the Hilton.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm a Sydneysider and do stay in Sydney hotels. I have never been to the Radisson Blue there. It doesn't look very glamorous at all. Strike that off my list.

Love the report. Lots of pics. Well done.
Yes, I wouldn't consider the Radisson Blu glamorous - just a nice upscale hotel.

Wonderful to hear you loved the report - I certainly enjoyed Sydney and the rest of the trip! ^
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR

an awesome read - good to see some airlines that are not often reported on here

particulary the VA 777 service - it gets very good feedback.

Nice to see the new Fiji and also KE

Awesome
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR

an awesome read - good to see some airlines that are not often reported on here

particulary the VA 777 service - it gets very good feedback.

Nice to see the new Fiji and also KE

Awesome
Thanks for the compliments! We really enjoyed the VA 777 Business Class service!
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Further complicating this was that Southwest requires that all bags at LAX be checked at least 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure! So, we had only 20 minutes scheduled for 1 through 5 above!!!
Wow! And fantastic photos!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bowdenj
Wow! And fantastic photos!
Thanks! Yeah - the whole time our Korean plane was taxiing to the gate at LAX we were doubting whether we would make our connection...we really thought our chances were slim-to-none until our bags came out and we noticed no line in the Global Entry customs line.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Amazing TR, fellow Chicago fliers! Love the pics, and reading this in my downtown Chicago office, can't help but feel a lil bit jealous Great pics and hope one day to put together an awesome itinerary like that.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:02 am

A great report! Good mix of flying and destination pictures.

Also appreciated your detailed breakdown of spent points, miles and cash.

Shifting from KE biz to WN economy is tough at the end of a marathon trip, but at least you had the middle free!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the TR. Tons of work for sure.

Also, thanks for breaking out very clearly the points used and what not. That's often missing in other reports.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Thank you for putting this epic journey down in writing and pictures.I honestly do not know how you manged to do this trip in the time allocated but it looked wonderful.

Thank you
Old Sep 30, 2013, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chicagodesi
Amazing TR, fellow Chicago fliers! Love the pics, and reading this in my downtown Chicago office, can't help but feel a lil bit jealous Great pics and hope one day to put together an awesome itinerary like that.
Thanks! It was definitely tough coming back to our offices.

Originally Posted by aptravel
A great report! Good mix of flying and destination pictures.

Also appreciated your detailed breakdown of spent points, miles and cash.

Shifting from KE biz to WN economy is tough at the end of a marathon trip, but at least you had the middle free!
Glad you enjoyed the photos and the cost/redemption breakdown. It was definitely an "adjustment" to go from back-to-back KE business to a WN flight...but, having it be our last flight made it a bit easier.

Originally Posted by farbster
Thanks for the TR. Tons of work for sure.

Also, thanks for breaking out very clearly the points used and what not. That's often missing in other reports.
Thanks for reading it! Since so much of this site is dedicated to the "earning" of points/miles, I wanted to show my "burning" of those miles.

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Thank you for putting this epic journey down in writing and pictures.I honestly do not know how you manged to do this trip in the time allocated but it looked wonderful.

Thank you
Glad to hear you liked it! It took an immense amount of planning to squeeze everything in. We would have loved more time in each place (and to visit more places); but, unfortunately, it is tough for me to take that much time away from work in one go...so, we fit in what we could (and, as much as we could).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.