The First Class Experience with Garuda Indonesia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The First Class Experience with Garuda Indonesia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
This is a terrifically written TR, and thank you for creating it along with the photos. It certainly sounds like Garuda is looking (and succeeding!) at giving the Asian majors some serious competition. I mean, honestly, think about the training that had to go into creating the mentality of "First class pax expresses sadness that he forgot his first class kit and menus, I will need to report this to the airport/airline management so we can be sure to get them to him on his return flight." Those are some seriously empowered employees, and the prospect of a reinvigorated Garuda is very exciting indeed.

I remember back in the late 80s/early 90s when they had a several times a week LAX-Honolulu-Biak-Denpasar-Jakarta flight, flown with a MD-11. They actually had district sales offices in the strangest places (including Chicago, not really known for its heavy Indonesian population, nor a an important feeder city for Garuda flights). I mean, as a business, they just seemed to do what they felt like doing, not what made sense.

Not to date myself, but I flew them once, in 1988, DPS-CGK on an A300 in business, and vowed "never again."

You've changed my mind, so thank you for that. Btw, I'm not sure that the Garuda first suite can trump the SQ suites, but from a service standpoint, what you've described really just blows me away.

Thanks again for the great TR!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:15 pm

A wonderful T/R thank you ! I like your narrative style so more please
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I prefer Trip Reports from different airlines. We've all seen the Emirates or Singapore Airlines First Class product and this shows us that we maybe should look outside what we might normally look.

I have looked at this again. I was impressed with Garuda's Business class and from the look of their First Class they really have excelled themselves.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Great TR! Looks like a fantastic product.
I realise that this is the new Garuda (much different from the old one) but how would you rank it in terms of safety, maintenance, reliability etc?

Great service, food and a luxurious hard product are all very nice but in the end it all comes down to how safe you feel once you're in the air I guess.

Any insight into this side of the equation would be much appreciated.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 8:37 am
UMD
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Great TR! Looks like a fantastic product.
I realise that this is the new Garuda (much different from the old one) but how would you rank it in terms of safety, maintenance, reliability etc?

Great service, food and a luxurious hard product are all very nice but in the end it all comes down to how safe you feel once you're in the air I guess.

Any insight into this side of the equation would be much appreciated.
Garuda's safety has improved by leaps and bounds. I read somewhere that the airline contracted the same safety consultant as the one used by Korean Airlines to instill safety in the minds of all their employees after the last incident in 2007. This is why the airline has managed to get itself out of the EU blacklist although most airlines in Indonesia are still banned from flying into EU. Reliability and on time performance of this airline have been very good too.

I used to avoid Garuda too but have been flying with them since the end of 2009 until now with no major concern on its safety. Planes are well maintained and crews are all very safety conscious. I am looking forward to my next flight with them to SYD in about 10 days time.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:38 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by UMD
Garuda's safety has improved by leaps and bounds. I read somewhere that the airline contracted the same safety consultant as the one used by Korean Airlines to instill safety in the minds of all their employees after the last incident in 2007. This is why the airline has managed to get itself out of the EU blacklist although most airlines in Indonesia are still banned from flying into EU. Reliability and on time performance of this airline have been very good too.

I used to avoid Garuda too but have been flying with them since the end of 2009 until now with no major concern on its safety. Planes are well maintained and crews are all very safety conscious. I am looking forward to my next flight with them to SYD in about 10 days time.
Thanks for the additional information, UMD. I appreciate it.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Really, really exciting read. Loved it. Wonderful to read about a new F product by Garuda. I have flown their 737-800 J product SIN-DPS and it was great, and empty! Many thanks!

I cant find any JAL NRT-DPS flights though. Is this a seasonal route for JAL?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:57 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by blueline7
I cant find any JAL NRT-DPS flights though. Is this a seasonal route for JAL?
It has been suspended as part of the restructuring couple of years ago
Old May 12, 2014, 2:06 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Found this thread while browsing the net. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to experience GA F myself ^
Old May 12, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: SA Lifetime Gold, DL Diamond, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Recently traveled business class from Seoul to Jakarta and Seoul to Denpasar. I was extremely impressed. But I can't wait to use their first class service once it becomes available on these two routes. Well done Garuda! Look at you now!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 9:24 pm

Must say this has really tempted me to try out Garuda F. Does anyone know which originating city will provide the cheapest fare to connect to any of their F destinations?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:33 am

Ayo Garuda Indonesia! Kita bisa majukan negara kita!
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:31 am

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
Now it seems that the opportunity for you to tryout Garuda Indonesia's First-Class cabin is only if you fly in one of its long-distance routes to Europe (London and Amsterdam). The airline's CEO announced in an interview with Bloomberg that only four of its 10 777s are fitted with First Class and they will serve European routes only. The rest of the 777s will be used for Northeast Asia destinations under two-class configurations (Business and Economy classes):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-787-this-year

Garuda plans to have a two-class cabin configuration on planes serving the Middle East, Southeast Asia and North Asia, with a similar configuration on any new planes they order, Wibowo said. Only four of the carrier’s 777s, used on flights to Amsterdam and London, will offer first-class seating, he said.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: SQ, GA, AA
Sad news: Effective 20 June 2017, Garuda will cut its First Class offering for its LHR-CGK route and switch to a two-class Boeing 777-300 arrangement. Bahasa Indonesia news sources also hints at the possibility that GA's London-Jakarta route might be scrapped altogether if it continues to be a money-losing destination for Garuda.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ai...-class-london/

Better book your ticket between now and June 20 if you want to experience GA's first class service while it still lasts
Old May 8, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by AA4013
Sad news: Effective 20 June 2017, Garuda will cut its First Class offering for its LHR-CGK route and switch to a two-class Boeing 777-300 arrangement. Bahasa Indonesia news sources also hints at the possibility that GA's London-Jakarta route might be scrapped altogether if it continues to be a money-losing destination for Garuda.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ai...-class-london/

Better book your ticket between now and June 20 if you want to experience GA's first class service while it still lasts
You might want to try reading your own link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.