Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

EK Seychelles Banyan Tree Raffles Four Seasons Dubai Burj Al Arab Al Maha Armani

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK Seychelles Banyan Tree Raffles Four Seasons Dubai Burj Al Arab Al Maha Armani

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Nice photo of my apartment from above!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by m3red
Nice photo of my apartment from above!
In which building is yours?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Old Dubai

We wanted to visit the old part of Dubai on one day. We got into a taxi right in front of the hotel and asked the driver to drive us to the Sheikh Saeed Al Maktoum house. The driver didn't have a clue where that was and he couldn't find it in the navigation system either. We described its location and showed it to him on our map. He also tried to ask colleagues but they didn't really the building either. I assume that's because most people don't come to Dubai for cultural experiences or maybe they're all doing guided bus tours. In the end he found the house.
The house is the old residence of the Sheikh. You can't see old furniture, but there are photos of old Dubai when it was still a fishing village (Dive Village), and there was an exhibit of old coins. From the roof, we had a good view over the creek. It was definitely nice and considering that it cost only about 20 cent, it was worth the visit.
After that, we went to the Dubai heritage village, which had been recommended in our travel guide. We were very disappointed. Supposedly, you can see an old craftsman village there, but it's really just an old building with shops selling cheap souvenirs. There was also the maritime part where you could see old ships. I don't think it's really worth the visit.
From there we walked to the Dubai museum. On the way we had to walk through a sort of bazar where vendors tried to sell scarfs to us. They wanted to put the scarfs around our shoulders and were quite annoying.
The Dubai museum is an old fort, which was turned into a museum. Outside you can see old canons, ships and beduine tents. The main part of the museum is underground. There you can see reconstructed streetlife with stalls filled with wax figures. The presentation was modern and quite interesting. It's definitely worth a visit.
We needed for all three sights less than half a day. There's not all that much to see in Dubai.

Saeed Al Maktoum House

Heritage Village

Dive Village

Dubai Museum

Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Fantastic TR. Many thanks for sharing.

How much did you win on the lottery?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a free day in Dubai last week I was kicking myself for not visiting the old part of town (after fifteen minutes getting lost in the midday sun it was too hot for me) and only visited the indoor fort museum. I'm glad to hear I made the right decision!
Old Sep 19, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Al Wafi

The Al Wafi mall was especially mentioned in our travel guide. The mall is part of a complex which includes the Raffles hotel and held in Egyptian decor. The moment you set foot into the mall, you realize that it's one of the older malls in Dubai. What was spectacular ten years ago, appears rather bland today. It was nice to look at from the outside, but boring from the inside. The mall was quite deserted and there weren't that many tourist. This seems to be more frequented by locals, though not the very rich ones.
The shop selection wasn't nearly as good as in the other malls and it had much more middle class shops. Definitely not a must-see.

Nice from outside

Central hall

Shops
Old Sep 19, 2013, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Atlantis

We decided to visit the Atlantis on the Palm. We weren't really interested in the hotel, but the aquarium (The Lost Chambers). After we arrived at the hotel, we strolled through the shopping arcades of the hotel. It looked nice and comparable to Las Vegas hotels. The aquarium was a positive surprise.
It was decorated like sunken city as the name suggests. There were many fishes in nicely done tanks. Especially the huge main tank was spectacular. We enjoyed this aquarium more than the one in the Dubai mall. It's definitely worth a visit. Nevertheless you shouldn't expect an aquarium of world class.

The hotel from outside

Ceiling at the entrance of the aquarium

Entrance of the aquarium

One of the tanks

Art

Nice

Decoration

Like Alien

Ceiling

The big tank

Another tanks

Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
In which building is yours?
I live at the loft towers in downtown opposite the burj

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...&bih=672&dpr=1
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I live at the loft towers in downtown opposite the burj

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=th...&bih=672&dpr=1
Ahh, thanks. Yes I remember
Old Oct 3, 2013, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flight DXB - DUS

Thanks to the incapable staff at the Armani hotel we arrived quite late at the airport. There was a separate entrance for premium passengers. We walked up to the first class counter where a staff member asked if we really travelled first class. After his third time asking us, we replied quite rudely with of course and then he finally shut up. The organisation is bad. There wasn't one main line for all first class counters but one for each counter - which resulted in us waiting a very long time until it was finally our turn. Of course we got the desk where there was a problem.
The security was quick and we headed for the lounge. There we decided to go into an a la carte restaurant (included of course). Since we didn't have much time we had to eat quickly. The food was served fast thankfully and it was quite good. We picked dessert from a buffet which was also available.
In the airplane we got an ugly surprise. Instead of a suite, we got old, much smaller seats. They had changed to an old airplane. Of course we were quite angry about that because we'd paid for the flight with the expectation that we'd get what was promised. The seat was uncomfortable and I couldn't lie down completely since it was too short. The entertainment selection was disappointing as well. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't nearly as good as during our first flight. The staff on the other hand was very friendly and attentive.
After our arrival in Düsseldorf, the chauffeur service with a new S class worked well.
Back at home, we sent a complaint email to Emirates because of the old airplane. After three weeks we got a reply. They said that they were legally allowed to change airplanes. They didn't offer any kind of recompansation, not even points. At first, I was determined never to fly with Emirates again if I had to fear to fly in such an old airplane again. We'll see if that's something I can keep up.

Not really a suite
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Sure enjoy your well written report. Photos are great as well. Thanks.

We planned to visit the Top of the World in vain, due to gusty wind that day! Thanks for the aerial pano shots. They look interesting.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:41 pm

Wow. What a trip. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate your honest feedback and will definitely reference this TR in the future.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
A wonderful report. Thank you for sharing!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks to the incapable staff at the Armani hotel we arrived quite late at the airport. There was a separate entrance for premium passengers. We walked up to the first class counter where a staff member asked if we really travelled first class. After his third time asking us, we replied quite rudely with of course and then he finally shut up. The organisation is bad. There wasn't one main line for all first class counters but one for each counter - which resulted in us waiting a very long time until it was finally our turn. Of course we got the desk where there was a problem.
The security was quick and we headed for the lounge. There we decided to go into an a la carte restaurant (included of course). Since we didn't have much time we had to eat quickly. The food was served fast thankfully and it was quite good. We picked dessert from a buffet which was also available.
In the airplane we got an ugly surprise. Instead of a suite, we got old, much smaller seats. They had changed to an old airplane. Of course we were quite angry about that because we'd paid for the flight with the expectation that we'd get what was promised. The seat was uncomfortable and I couldn't lie down completely since it was too short. The entertainment selection was disappointing as well. The food wasn't bad but it wasn't nearly as good as during our first flight. The staff on the other hand was very friendly and attentive.
After our arrival in Düsseldorf, the chauffeur service with a new S class worked well.
Back at home, we sent a complaint email to Emirates because of the old airplane. After three weeks we got a reply. They said that they were legally allowed to change airplanes. They didn't offer any kind of recompansation, not even points. At first, I was determined never to fly with Emirates again if I had to fear to fly in such an old airplane again. We'll see if that's something I can keep up.

Not really a suite
Still some of the dreaded sky cruisers about unfortunately...

Until they are gone its a risk...suites are worth paying for sky cruisers are not.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: A few
Still some of the dreaded sky cruisers about unfortunately...

Until they are gone its a risk...suites are worth paying for sky cruisers are not.
I'd say they are ok for short distances. We did DXB-MLE and they were adequate enough. Maybe not much further though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.