Wiki Posts
Search

Keep flying West, we're almost home. *A Phuket Honeymoon in F and C

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Heading home - HKG-ZRH-FRA

You know when Wile e Coyote hits a wall he leaves an impression of himself? That was about to happen to me. Molly and I had really enjoyed our extra day in Hong Kong, we had eaten more noodles, seen more sites, and even seen friends. After a little lounge hopping in HKG we had headed over to the gate too exhausted to stand. Remember, we got up early for a noon flight, and it was now after 11pm, and through this whole day Molly did not take to opportunity to remind me (as only a wife could) that out trip home was now 35+ hours long.

Molly "What time is it?"
Me "Where? here?"
Molly "Yes, what time is it here, now?"
Me "11:27pm...almost 2013. Why?"
Molly "What time is it in California?"
Me "Ummmm I think 8:27a 'today' the 31st of December. Why"

Than it hit me, like Wile e

Molly "What time does the direct HKG-SFO land?"
Me "About 8:30am.....December 31st.............now"
Molly "OK, just wanted to remind you that you could be home, but instead you are boarding a flight to Switzerland. Well done husband. ^"

Because the flight was supposed to take off just before the clock "Stuck twelve zero zero" the plane was actually held and champagne was served so the captain and crew could wish us a happy new year. I know Molly and I were taxiing into 35 hours in the air, and a near 50 hour day but as we left Hong Kong we saw New Years fireworks from the air over the city as we took off - and that is cool! At preciously 12:09am January first 2013 we were heading home.

My seat to ZRH

I had researched the LX C seats of both FT and Seatguru before the trip and need to say I really like them. The air bed technology, or whatever they really call it, is great. Skipping dinner I logged a solid eight hours of sleep, and Molly a full 10! We both enjoyed a little breakfast, and watched a movie on our way into ZRH. Before you know it A.K.A 12 hours later we were one leg closer to home.

There are no pictures from ZRH - you try taking out a camera near a woman who just flew 12 hours in the wrong direction. Exactly! The Zurich airport is exactly what I expected, clean, efficient and quiet. Molly and I had a 55 minute layover to connect to the FRA flight and ZRH is so quick, and empty at that hour, we got to spend 30 minutes in the business lounge having a snack.

Molly and I boarded our quick flight to FRA, and enjoyed another round of breakfast....I don't know what the Swiss put in the yogurt but it is addicting. Molly grabbed a little more sleep, but I was getting wired. I knew the LH FCT was only moments away, and Molly didn't - this trip was about to go from amazing to fantastic!

Candy at 7am? Sure my body thinks its mid day in China.

By time we landed in Frankfurt we had traveled a shade under 6,000 miles, 5,935 I believe is the exact number, and we had a shade over 6,000 to go; 6,300 to be exact. The plane parked at a gate in FRA, which I know can be a crap shoot on smaller planes from my experience of deplaning a 777 by stairs when I was a kid. For some reason the door was not able to be open on the jet bridge so we deplaned through the rear galley exit (down some more stairs). As the coach passangers plane shuffled slowly down the steps out into the morning rain I was looking out the window of the plane and saw two large black Mercedes 'S' class cars; engines running doors open. Molly and I kept walking from row 3 all the way to the tail, and I kept looking out the window. Remember that 'you know what' eating grin from the other day? It was back.

Molly "What are you grinning about?"
Me "Oh nothing, just love Germany. Maybe I'll get a beer and a pretzel"
Molly "No you don't, and no drinking at 8am" "What are you smiling about?"

Almost off the plane
Me "Nothing"
Molly "What are we connecting in Dubai too!?"

I stepped off the plane and gave the driver a nod, making a B line right towards him. I left Mol a few steps behind me so I had time to turn and see her reaction to what was happening. I introduced my self to the driver, and by time he was reaching for Mol's luggage I was facing back towards the plane to head this

Molly "Holy (expletive deleted)"

We hopped into the Benz and headed for the terminal.

Last edited by Madone59; Mar 31, 2015 at 3:22 pm Reason: Adding more
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:00 pm

Location: Anaheim, CA - Delta Platinum Medallion,Sky Team Elite Plus, American Airlines Platinum, OneWorld - Emerald, EK-Skywards Gold, VS Flying Club, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold. Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum, Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
Your trip report has brought back many wonderful memories of my trip to Phuket many years ago!!! Thank you!! ^^^
Old Aug 29, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
[QUOTE=Madone59;21332289]

Originally Posted by Madone59
Introduction:

Between pitching woo in Charlotte, travel for work, and a very novice dabbling in MR’s I had enough miles to have the following conversation with my wife.

Dan “Pick any place on the planet for our Honeymoon, and I will take you there”
Molly: “Really?…Hawaii is nice.”
Dan: “No……Think big.”
Molly: “Oh. OK? Ohhhh the Caribbean or Mexico?”
Dan: “What….no”
Molly: “Well I guess I don’t like this game…..it isn't like we can afford to go to Phuket or someplace exotic”
Dan: “Phuket! Great idea!”
Molly: “WHAT!?”
Dan: “Yup booked flights to Thailand yesterday, we leave December 20th”

Lots of hugging and cheering and calling of the sister-in-law immediately followed. Several months later it was me who was celebrating and calling people because SQ decided to make my wife’s dream honeymoon into an “O” space frat party, in which I grabbed us some seats on SQ15 SFO-ICN. In hind site I could have been more creative, but a bird in the hand is yada, yada yada.
Great story. Thanks for bringing us along! Here's too many more adventures for the two of you!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly4work
Your trip report has brought back many wonderful memories of my trip to Phuket many years ago!!! Thank you!! ^^^
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Great story. Thanks for bringing us along! Here's too many more adventures for the two of you!
Thank's for following along. More added today, and more to come. We're almost home.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Heading Home FRA-BOS-PHL-SAN and the FRA FCT

Still confused about why were picked up in a Mercedes Molly and I were let off at the main terminal to clear passport control. After getting through most of the main terminal, and knowing I needed to get us outside to get to the FCT Molly finally dug her heals in about being dragged through Frankfurt for apparently no reason.

Molly "Where are we going?!"
Me "Outside."
Molly "Seriously, I am exhausted, cut it out. Where are we going?"
Me "Honestly. Outside."

At this point I probably should have stopped not telling her things about this trip and told her about the FCT but hind sight is 20/20 and like all men I walked head first into a little bit of a 'you know what' storm. I explained the FCT to Mol and that it was worth finding, and walking outside for.

Once we arrive at the FCT everything became clear to Mol, we were greeted by private security, and our assistant who welcomed us and suggested we refresh with a shower and a snack.

The FCT has been well documented in FT which is good because all of our pictures have either Molly or I in them but allow me to be another voice promoting finding a way to enjoy this wonderful lounge.

Happy New Year - Rose' to ring in the new year (again)

Tickets one step closer home

Our hour in the FCT came to a end, and Molly and I were showered, refreshed and ready for our flight to Boston. Another set of stamps in our passport later and a ride to the gate in another Mercedes we were boarding the beautiful 747-400 waiting for us.

Our ride to Boston

The boarding process was very quick, we took the hidden little elevator from the ground up to the jet bridge where general boarding had been had and we were whisked on the plane, and upstairs into paradise.

Load on this flight was 6/8 and after a quick drink and the traditional passing out of the PJ's we were on out way.

My Seat

In my opinion the new LH F seats (on the 747-400) are miles better than the SQ F seats from the 77W. I know SQ has recently announced that they will be replacing their F product, and the LH is (generally) newer but WOW the LH product is good. The bed was great (I got another four hours of sleep) and the seat was very very good. I will be flying the LH 748i tomorrow (9/1/13) and am interested to see how that F product compares to the 744 product.

The meal service begins

Root vegetable soup - not easy to eat during turbulence

Lamb and whipped potatoes....with some Blue label

Chocolate caramel tart

After the meal I changed into my PJ's and got a few hours of sleep - and this is where SQ separates it self from LH. When I fell asleep I left two glasses on the arm rest, and the plastic my PJ's came in; four hours later when I woke up it was all still there. Apparently I slept through some serious turbulence, and between that and the four hours I was asleep I was really surprised the glass ware was never picked up. All in all the flight was great, but I would take the SQ food and service with the LH seats in a perfect world.

The fairy tail was about to come to an abrupt end......a very abrupt end. We were back in the US! The LH staff held the rest of the plane while the six F passengers departed and it is fair to say that is when the good service ended. I very nice LH rep met us 6 to make sure our luggage was collected but then we were on out own. After checking in to warm Asian hospitality, and transiting with Swiss precision we now had to deal with TSA agents who were cut from their JV football team 15 years ago, and airports which have been organized with what appears to be no planning.

Boston

Molly and I grabbed another meal in Boston before boarding the quick hop down to Philly. When they "Pre boarded first class" Molly and I have a chuckle the 4 other passengers in 'First' elbowed each other to be on the plane first. The flight to Philly was the longest hour and a half of our lives, the thermostat was out of what so it went from ice box to oven half a dozen times which did not help Molly and I who's internal thermostats were still in Germany....we think.

After landing a little late in Philly, we sprinted (literally) to get our connection in to San Diego; our final leg. After boarding the flight sat an extra 45 minutes for a weather re-route, and due to extreme head winds the flight would be almost a hour longer. Not what we wanted to hear.

Molly chose not to eat, and I choked down the "Asian beef" knowing my body needed food. I took a picture of my Cheese Cake dessert to honor the past 30+ hours of eating and flying.

Dessert

We landed in San Diego, after what felt like a week - it had been January first for about 50 hours (give or take a few). We headed to baggage claim where we waited, and waited, and waited! Now remember Molly and I dropped our bags at a Hong Kong train station about two days earlier - we transferred our bags in Boston and assumed the hard part was over. Because of the delay in the PHL-SAN flight there was a conflict with the arriving PHX-SAN flight and only one ramp crew. It took an hour and forty-five minutes to get our bags. After all of that it came down to a little wind and a ramp crew.....odd how things work huh?

At one point in our wait Molly had to muzzle me because the woman I was standing next to had drawn a crowd telling her tale of traveling from Florida, to Philadelphia to get to San Diego and how she "Had been traveling all day" and "flew so far." Had Molly not kissed me and said "remember that time we flew around the world?" there was a chance I would have said something dumb.

Flying around the world was on the bucket list. Doing it in all in F and C was a perk, doing it on New Years Day (mostly) was very cool and lots of champagne and taking all of those flights with Molly who started our honeymoon only leaving the US once before as a kid was the best part. Thank you for following along, I am headed to Italy tomorrow which is why I wanted to get this published. I promise more pictures and less delay on the next TR

Cheers,
M59

Last edited by Madone59; Mar 31, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Old Aug 31, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
I enjoyed the read, thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Great trip report - pretty impressed you went for the reroute via EU..... As much as I would have wanted to do that in theory, the practicalities of being on journeys that long are exhausting after a certain point, even in the pointy end.
Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Excellent TR. Love the story and read.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: Marriott Gold
Great read... Tell me, was there much arm waving involved with Molly?
Old Sep 8, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: AA Plat
Excellent report. Yet another LH experience increasing my desire to finally fly international F!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Great report. Loved your story of Molly's reaction to the planeside limo pickup and walking to the FCT. Sorry you couldn't get a seat and join us today on the FRA-IAH A380.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff
Great read... Tell me, was there much arm waving involved with Molly?
Yes, there was a great deal of arm waving!

Originally Posted by Digital01
Excellent report. Yet another LH experience increasing my desire to finally fly international F!
That is my goal, and if you liked this one, you will love the one I am about to publish. Lots of LH F. Glad you enjoyed!

Originally Posted by SFO777
Great report. Loved your story of Molly's reaction to the planeside limo pickup and walking to the FCT. Sorry you couldn't get a seat and join us today on the FRA-IAH A380.
Thank you, sorry I missed you guys too. MUC-LAX was 3 of 8 full and it turned into an epic party! TR coming soon. Thanks for reading this one.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Very Good Trip Report.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver
Great TR. Lovely pictures Thanks for sharing
Old Apr 7, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
great TR! Would love to do that for New Year's!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.