Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore | BA first class flights, ten days at the Mandarin Oriental, out & about

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore | BA first class flights, ten days at the Mandarin Oriental, out & about

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Gosh, what a terrifically comprehensive TR! It is really just like being there with you.
An amazingly good trip report - it really *is* like being on the trip with you! (I think all the very best TRs give you this feeling)

Can't wait to read the rest of it - please hurry up and post it

(patience - not my strong point....)

FB
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Thoroughly enjoying trip so far loved the comment about (bet there are not many first class pax arriving by London underground) did u not get around to booking a treatment whiChat u could have done 1 month before hand. That piece of Victoria sponge looked good bet that did not take long to wolf down. Glad had good flight to sin and look forward to hotel visit and pics.^^
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Very nice updates and top quality photos there Sixth Freedom. I love the big pictures and some imaginative ones there too. ^

The fact you were there for 10 days gives us all an insight to the many parts of Singapore and the things to do. Your TR will be a great tool for many when planning a stopover or indeed a holiday.

Out of curiosity what type of camera do you have?

Looking forward to the last part!

Cheers

Pete
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:37 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Lovely photos of sin, went there many years ago only 4 a day, and when seeing the photos odd the botanical gardens brain kicked into gear and do remember visiting and how wonderful the place is. Sometime must have to pay another visit, only tend to transit on way to Sydney. The Singapore flyer looked great lucky u had a clear day, nothing worse than it being misty same thing applies to London eye. Looking forward to next episode. Great oil of u with the Singapore sling, and the nuts, were they all for u!^
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I've really enjoyed all your photos and your commentary! Can't wait for more!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Great report. I'm looking forward to the next parts.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Most enjoyable TR.

I bet you wouldn't have been slung out of Raffles Hotel if you'd been wearing your Blazer!

Great job ^
Old Aug 18, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some more great updates. I am really enjoy this report. Pics are great, especially of the wild life.

It always interests me that the Raffles hotel is now 500 meters away from the sea. However there are some parts of the world people are suggesting will be under water. If Singapore can claim more land, I am sure we can as well.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Thanks for the TR and some great photos.
Originally Posted by Fly Baby
Can't wait to read the rest of it - please hurry up and post it
Originally Posted by dcmike
I've really enjoyed all your photos and your commentary! Can't wait for more!
Originally Posted by LH738
Great report. I'm looking forward to the next parts.
More coming!

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Glad you highlight the botanic gardens ... they both belong to the order, Zingiberales, (as do the other plants pictured in that series of photos). But Ginger belongs to the family, Zingiberaceae and bananas to the family, Musaceae
Thanks for making the distinction Cheetah_SA. Not being a botanist myself I had not understood the difference. Just goes to show how broad a base of knowledge we have here on FT.

Originally Posted by BA5E
That piece of Victoria sponge looked good bet that did not take long to wolf down
It really was a good piece of sponge and I could manage another slice just now! Moist, creamy and generally delicious...

Originally Posted by PETER01
Out of curiosity what type of camera do you have?
I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-TX20, just a little point and shoot pocket camera. I do believe though that a "proper" camera is so much better than a phone, even if it is just a small one. Maybe the difference just comes from treating the picture taking slightly more seriously when using a proper camera.

Great oil of u with the Singapore sling, and the nuts, were they all for u!^
As it turns out I did not eat any of the nuts. I prefer sweets.

They are only there because the barman moved them into the picture!

Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I bet you wouldn't have been slung out of Raffles Hotel if you'd been wearing your Blazer!
It was extremely hot and humid in Singapore, even at night time. Wearing a blazer would have caused me to arrive all hot and sweaty, so I would have been thrown out anyway!

Originally Posted by origin
It always interests me that the Raffles hotel is now 500 meters away from the sea. However there are some parts of the world people are suggesting will be under water. If Singapore can claim more land, I am sure we can as well.
I heard in Singapore that the bulk of earth used for the landfill comes from Malaysia.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Singapore Changi airport

When it was time to go I did feel a bit sad. But that is the sign of a good holiday so a good thing really.

I took a cab to the airport (I was originally thinking about the metro but I was feeling lazy) and it only cost SGD 14.85, which was quite handy since I had SGD 0.85 in coins and was able to get rid of all of these!

Other reviewers have commented on the lounges at Changi. Suffice it to say that I spent time in the Qantas lounge and enjoyed an excellent piece of grilled salmon with green mango and herb salad from their Rockpool selection.

Approaching the airport offers fine views of the Tower:

Cactus garden (Terminal 1)

Butterfly garden (Terminal 3 – note that all terminals are accessible from each other)

Today’s in-lounge entertainment:

BA16 tonight was operated by G-STBB, a Boeing 777-300 with BA’s latest Thales IFE. The flight had arrived from a sixth freedom SYD sector a short time ago and was going on to London.

Coming up next … BA First Class to London!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:45 am

We will have a 5 hour layover in SIN in FEB after getting off the 747 and then joining the 777 on to SYD, so will definately be making use of the QF lounge as looking at pics it looks good and your comment on the food is making me look very forward to this long layover. The other photos of the airport look nice, so we will have to take a wander around the terminal before boarding our 777. looking forward to the last part of your TR F to LHR^
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
First of all, very nice TR!

Also...

We will have a 5 hour layover in SIN in FEB after getting off the 747 and then joining the 777 on to SYD, so will definately be making use of the QF lounge as looking at pics it looks good and your comment on the food is making me look very forward to this long layover. The other photos of the airport look nice, so we will have to take a wander around the terminal before boarding our 777. looking forward to the last part of your TR F to LHR^
Yes, but all means plan on spending some time just wandering around one or more terminals. It really is one of the more fun airports around (or as fun as airports get...).
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Yes, but all means plan on spending some time just wandering around one or more terminals. It really is one of the more fun airports around (or as fun as airports get...).
It is certainly well worth getting out of the lounge at Changi. In case the walking is too much there are some trains between the terminals which cut out perhaps three or four minutes of walking.

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Aug 20, 2013 at 2:25 am
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Flight from Singapore Changi to London Heathrow

Since the flight was scheduled to leave Singapore at 23:05 and arrive at Heathrow at 05:30 my plan was to spend the first part enjoying IFE and the second part sleeping, taking breakfast in BA’s London Arrivals facility. In the end I achieved seven hours sleep, which was quite satisfactory. Push back and take-off were more or less on time.

As I watched a splendid programme about mighty leviathans…:

…I enjoyed a glass of Sauternes:

Soon afterwards I watched Tomorrow Never Dies with Pierce Brosnan’s James Bond…:

…with a brandy (I asked for a large one but this was a bit ridiculous!)…:

…and some chocolates:

The steward made my bed and I slept well on the mattress and under the duvet:

As we approached London…:

…I watched a David Attenborough programme about both north and south poles:

Mood lighting reflected sunrise…

…and a BA A380 was on stand next to us at Heathrow Terminal 5C:

Shortly before heading off I captured an image of the comfy seat that had carried me back home from Singapore:

After the flight, which arrived at T5C, I took the train to immigration and was through in a minute or two. With another ten minute wait for the bags to come out I was in the arrivals lounge approximately 30 minutes after disembarkation.

The breakfast and shower were good as usual. I enjoyed bacon, sausage, mushrooms, black pudding, hash brown and white toast before taking London Underground back the way I came.

I felt quite good and managed to stay awake the whole day. The next day I woke up at 8am as normal and experienced no jet lag at all.

As I arrived in Pimlico and walked along to Dolphin Square with my bags the local vicar came over the road.

Sixth Freedom: “Morning Vicar, I just got off a 13 hour flight”
Vicar: “You look like it!”

And so ended my First Class trip to Singapore.

Verdict

A great flight. I was well entertained and slept in comfort. I attribute the zero jet lag to flying in First as Club World (BA's business class for those who don't know) does not deliver quite as comfortable a sleep experience.

End of Trip Report

I hope that you enjoyed it!
Old Aug 20, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Enjoying the TR so far ^, looking forward to the next instalment, in particular the Mandarin hotel section

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.