Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

American Airlines New Flagship Suite - JFK LHR, LHR JFK, GRU DFW

Old May 14, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

I first flew American's new 777-300ER on the launch flight from DFW to GRU at the end of January. The flight going down was in business class but my subsequent flights on the new aircraft have all been in the new first-class cabin.

MY SEAT

As a veteran of the old Flagship Suite, which I liked quite a bit, I was curious how AA would improve upon it.

It turns out that the airline was able to make quite a few improvements (although they are not necessarily as apparent as the entirely new business class, which moves to all direct-aisle access and fully 180º lie flat seating).

I've already written reviews in Frequent Business Traveler magazine of the new aircraft, my flight in business class to GRU, and my experience in the new Flagship Suites, but I'm framing my Trip Report here quite differently.

Unfortunately, I can't embed the multimedia slide shows (first-class seat and cabin, dining and flight, exterior of 777-300ER, interior) here so those are found on the last page of the review in FBT if you are interested.

Most of my comments about the service will be about the GRU DFW flight but I will weave in other observations and my comments about such things as seat comfort and the aircraft itself go across all flights

Pre-Flight
There is no Flagship Lounge at GRU and, while the Admiral's Club is of reasonable size, it's decor made me think it had been decorated by a deposed Latin American dictator and the seats are quite worn. I had to try five or six chairs to find one without a significant worn spot in the seat. The food was fresh and good.

The flight departs after midnight so it was quite late and I had already had a wonderful meal at the InterContinental's restaurant.

Over at gate 24, the agents seemed very excited about the presence of the new 777-300ER even though it was not the first flight but it's third or fourth day in service.

Boarding was done in a very orderly fashion. There was of course a Priority AAccess lane and first-class passengers were invited to board first.

Boarding was via 2L, which means you pass by the new walk-up bar (which wasn't illuminated with its nice ceiling because the aircraft was fully lighted up of course). I turned left, went through the mini business-class cabin (2 rows of seats) and over to first, to seat 1A.

FAs were in the aisle welcoming passengers, offering pre-departure beverages, and hanging up coats. It was quite clear that they were also orienting themselves to the new aircraft as it was their first flight on the 777-300ER.

At 1A, American’s new amenity kit was waiting on the side table. This is AA's new design based on an Eames Office design and can serve as a tablet (i.e. iPad) holder.

The New Flagship Suite Seat
There are a few differences one notices when entering the new 777's first class. First, there are fewer seats, 50% fewer to be exact. The colors are different, too (see photo). And, while the configuration is the same (1-2-1), it's clear that there have been tremendous changes behind the scenes.

The seats themselves are far more plush and noticeably more comfortable in the take-off/landing position (my only real complaint about the previous generation Flagship Suite).

Each Suite seat is 29” wide (including the armrests, which can be lowered, 21” with the armrests up). The fully-extended bed is 80” and the suite itself is 45” wide. The large and well-padded ottoman (which becomes part of the bed) is large enough for a visitor to comfortably join in for a drink or dining.

The greatest enhancements are in storage and controls. First-class passengers get not one but two controllers. One is for IFE and is a mini IFE device itself (you can watch for example the moving map on the controller and have a movie on on the big screen) and the other is for seat comfort and the DND sign.

In terms of storage, there is a lot. Because of the length of the suite, you can almost always count on 2 large overhead bins plus other storage. This translates to multiple compartments for storage, including a shoe compartment and a tray for a laptop or tablet under the desk. There is also room under the ottoman for a bag.

In addition to the large 17" display, each seat gets a USB port for charging, a video input, and an AC power outlet. And, of course, there's satellite-based Wi-Fi.

Not directly in the suite, of course, is the new lav design, which is very elegant (esp. the wash basin).

FIRST CLASS LAV

In-Flight Dining
American has invested heavily in its new hard product both in business and first and it's made a lot of changes in the soft product as well.

It was the first U.S. airline to introduce turndown service (others have now followed).

It also recently introduced an in-flight wine tasting, which was fun to do.

WINE TASTING

For dinner, I'm going to quote from the review in Frequent Business Traveler:

The table was set with a white tablecloth and a carbon fiber placemat that matched the carbon-fiber surface of the Flagship Suite’s extra-large tray table. I chose a great wine, S.A. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett, which had peach and apple flavors with crisp acidity and excellent minerality. It was served with a glass of water in American’s new water glasses and a dish of warm nuts.

A napkin and cutlery, a bread plate and butter dish, and salt and pepper shakers were added to the setting. I was disappointed to see that the napkin still didn’t have the buttonhole that American had become famous for, allowing the napkin to stay firmly in place. The original buttonhole napkin was instituted by Cyrus Rowlett (C.R.) Smith, the airline’s CEO from 1934 to 1968.

A tasty amuse bouche preceded the appetizer, a choice of curried chicken, pineapple and mango salad with almonds or shrimp ceviche with avocado. I chose the chicken, which was excellent. Warm breads and rolls were offered as well, as was a tasty off-the-menu soup course.

Next was a salad with fresh vegetables, hearts of palm, and cucumbers. I went light on the dressing.

For the main course a choice of grilled Abadejo with lemon garlic butter or grilled Chicken marinated in cilantro chimichum, or a cold plate entrée of cold cuts and cheese were offered, but I opted for the delicious Chateaubriand with Earl Grey sauce, which was served rare. All entrées were accompanied by sautéed broccoli and Greek rice.

TABLE SETTING WITH AMUSE BOUCHE

Then came sleep (lots of it, quite comfortable) and granola for breakfast plus an early arrival.

My verdict: ^^^

FIRST CLASS CABIN AT NIGHT
Old May 16, 2013, 6:59 am
Suspended

Your review seems to contrasts Carfield's. Interesting...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.