Wiki Posts
Search

Horn of Africa: trip to Yemen, Socotra, Somaliland, and more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by DanielW
The tour guide I used for Yemen is still open for business and they still seem to be issuing tourist visa's. He was hosting a Japanese guy in Sanaa yesterday (from his FB page).

Not sure how long this will continue though based on the escalating chaos...
Yeah... really glad I was able to do this trip (and Syria!) when I did...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Yeah... really glad I was able to do this trip (and Syria!) when I did...
Jealous^.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Thanks for sharing, hauteboy. Your trip definitely brings back some fond memories from time in Djibouti and it would be great to go back one of these days if only to enjoy a meal at Cafe de la Gare again. That place definitely brought you back in time as did the airport. I found the little bar at the gates inside security to be a nice place to enjoy a beer and watch the P-3s go out, more so than the VIP lounge. And considering you had to arrive at check-in 3 hours before departure for check-in, or risk losing your seat, I spent many an hours at that little bar. Thanks again!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: FT
Agreed about doing this trip a few years ago.

Sounds like a stick was poked into a hornets nest.

My mom noted she had a delay going north through the Suez yesterday...

i wonder if it was because of this

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Mid...l-sources.ashx

she seems to have missed all the sparks flying by about a week. they passed through the gulf of aden about 4 days ago...[ships captain was pretty nervous about the area]
Old Dec 19, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Next stop was Kawkaban (Two Planets) village, perched high up on top of a 1000' crag. The townfolk here held out against the Ottomans for months at a time as they had water cisterns and granaries. It wasn't until air power arrived that the town was finally 'defeated'.
Looks like it didn't survive this time. From the WP today:

Before dawn one morning, fighter jets from a U.S.-backed, Saudi-led coalition fired four missiles at Kawkaban, killing seven residents of the town that lies inside the citadel and pulverizing its ancient gateway. Behind the shattered walls, 700-year-old houses known for their spectacular architecture are now mounds of rubble.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...67d_story.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.