FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   British Airways World Traveller Plus Lagos to London Return (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1438788-british-airways-world-traveller-plus-lagos-london-return.html)

princessleah Feb 15, 2013 2:24 am

British Airways World Traveller Plus Lagos to London Return

British Airways World Traveler Plus experience is not very different from the economy experience.
There is no priority check in or extra assistance and WTP customers are the last to board the plane from Lagos. BA boards by seat rows from behind after the first and business customers have been attended to. This leaves a bitter taste in ones mouth considering that no access to the lounge is offered and you have been waiting in the uncomfortable seats all night.
Upon boarding Newspapers are handed out to WTP passengers but no offer of drinks not even water. A menu is handed out along with the newspapers. This menu is has a choice of two mains which you will be asked to choose as the trolley moves along the cabin when the meal is being served.
After takeoff first order of business is to draw the curtains so that Business Cabin is clearly demarcated from the WTP cabin. drinks are offered to passengers nothing different from the economy selection neither is the service, wine, brandy, ginger ale, juices, other soft drinks and water etc. It is worthy of note that there is no real special crew for the premium economy team. This same crew goes on to serve the economy cabins behind so you don’t get any faster treatment. The food on the trip from Lagos was very poorly prepared and tasted horrible I could not eat.
A second offering of soft drinks was carried round; this was apple and orange juice dispensed in plastic cups. This was rejected by most passengers as it was unsightly.
The in flight entertainment was the same as offered a in the economy cabin. Packed breakfast was offered about an hour to landing. This also was same as that given to economy passengers.
The Pros and Cons are listed below

Pros

Wider seats and smaller cabin (you can always check in early and get a seat in the smaller economy cabin)
More recline on the seats
Thicker blankets than economy and different earphones
In-flight package of socks, sleeping mask and a pen

Cons

Last to board the flight
No priority or escalated treatment
Food and drinks same as economy
In flight entertainment same as economy
Service and offerings in all ramifications same as economy
All in all the whole experience was no different to flying economy even though it is almost double the cost. Will I fly premium again? No the experience is not worth the extra cost.
Pictures of the menu will be uploaded shortly

nux Feb 15, 2013 3:49 am

Originally Posted by princessleah (Post 20251867)
Cons

Food and drinks same as economy
In flight entertainment same as economy
Service and offerings in all ramifications same as economy
All in all the whole experience was no different to flying economy even though it is almost double the cost. Will I fly premium again? No the experience is not worth the extra cost.
Pictures of the menu will be uploaded shortly

Welcome to FT.

The first meal service offering is the same as Club World (Business), so not the same as economy. In flight entertainment for the plane is all the same, just slightly bigger screens as you move up each class. Not sure what difference you were expecting..

WTP is usually only a 25% premium to WT.

It is definately just an economy plus product, not business minus.

EuropeanPete Feb 15, 2013 7:32 am

This does sound like a case of expectations not matching the reality.

Having said that, it's not that surprising that you wouldn't rate the food all that highly even if it was the CW main.

Gatwick Alan Feb 15, 2013 11:35 am

Well i did Lhr - Phx in WTP last year, my experiences were different to yours

1.We were boarded before economy
2.We were served the business class main course

I agree with your Pro's, maybe my expectations were lower than yours, i primarily chose WTP for the extra space and for a difference of just over £300 return it was a no brainer for me.

BA.MF.CSM Feb 15, 2013 3:25 pm

I would bet that the poster is a regular with Virgin on the Lagos route, leading to a conflict of expectations. When splashing out on a premium economy cabin, would you not enquire on the website as to what the 'premium' bit is? This would be a much better way to manage one's expectations.

Kind regards

BA.MF.CSM