UA Business SFO to HNL (w/ pictures)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles

Hello. This is my first trip report of the year! Please enjoy.

United Airlines Flight 663 – SFO to HNL
January 2nd, 2013
Gate – 82
Seat – 13H (Business)
Departure (Scheduled/Actual): 8:38AM/9:05AM
Arrival (Scheduled/Actual): 12:05PM/12:25PM
Aircraft – Boeing 777-200 (N796UA/#2996)

At first, I was scheduled to fly economy on this flight but as I recently received Premier Silver status, I was upgraded. This was my first time actually flying United (I usually flew Continental more often but now since it is United, it is a different experience, but that is another story). I was not sure of the United services but had positive spirit for the flight.

I arrived at SFO around 6:30AM and found chaos. Not only was I flying Business but I had Premier status. As a result, I didn’t have to wait on the huge economy line. Check in was quick but getting my bags tagged took a bit of time. The person, clearly not working for United but a bag handler, took his time tagging other people’s bag. I tried to get his attention but it did not work. It was not that he was ignoring me it was that he was not fazed by the situation. He eventually tagged my bags and led me to the Premier security line.

This was also my first time at the UA terminal in SFO. It was big but needed some TLC. At first, my gate was 80 but was switched when I approached the gate. As a result, people who were originally at gate 82 were confused and gate agents constantly made announcements about the gate switch. In addition, there was a last minute aircraft change (same configuration but different plane) which caused the delay. To make matters worse, the gate agents forced people in economy as well as the high boarding groups (6 and 7) to check in their bags for free. However, boarding started soon after and I was on my way to Hawaii.

Boarding was quick however there were no apologies for the delay. The seat was good but old. It was an old recliner seat rather than the new lie-flat seats. At the seat, there was a large pillow and a full sized blanket. It looked, and probably was, the same blanket found on CO’s old BusinessFirst. In addition, the entertainment options was not AVOD but had a looped system. The screen size was about the same size as my cell phone. The aircraft had a configuration of 12F/49J/77Y+/114Y. This plane did not have the updated United product but I think that UA will soon upgrade this aircraft. Flight attendants did not come around to ask for pre-departure drinks, which was very surprising. I flew DL from LGA to MCO in October and though it was a very early morning flight, I was given a pre-departure drink.

Once airborne, FA’s started breakfast service. First with a drink (to make up for the pre-departure drink), for which I chose OJ. There was no choice for breakfast. The breakfast consisted of a cheese omelet, sausage links, potato and broccoli mixture, mixed fruit, and a croissant. It was pretty decent for a US carrier but not as top notch as Asian and Middle Eastern carriers. FA’s were pretty good with service (I’ve heard horror stories with UA so that is why I had reservations). However, they seemed a bit rushed as when they were doing meal service, they handed out the agriculture forms soon after. They were lively with the “Half-way to Hawaii game” in which a passenger had to guess the exact time that the plane would be half-way to Hawaii. I was off by a whole hour but I saw that the prize was a Lonely Planet guide book of Hawaii. During the flight, I watched a movie and a few shows and got a few zzz's. I wished that the plane had AVOD but there was nothing I could do. Before landing, FA’s took a drink order and handed out snacks, which consisted of fruit, cookies, or Pop Chips. We landed in HNL 20 minutes behind schedule. Again, no apology was made but at least we arrived in Hawaii.

UA needs to improve on their service across the board. CO had great service and I wish that the management would put CO service standards with the new UA. However, that will take time. Overall, I had a great flight with the new UA. FA’s were not as bad as I was told but friendly and helpful. If I was not upgraded, this TR would be completely different. Thanks for reading and have a great day!

Pictures:

New aircraft to take us to HNL

Our next door neighbor

Old J seats on this UA B777

Leg room shot (to prove that there is leg room on planes!)

Cabin shot right after closing the door

They still have blankets! Though I am pretty sure that this came from CO

United, please change this. Thank you.

OJ to start the day

Breakfast service on UA

Pre-landing snack

Hawaii at last (This is the Wailea Beach Marriott in Maui)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 9:54 pm

Nice Post,thanks for sharing.

Was in Maui in early December and can't wait to return. Nice seat too,I sat in economy.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by cxny1090
Aircraft – Boeing 777-200 (N796UA/#2996)

At first, I was scheduled to fly economy on this flight but as I recently received Premier Silver status, I was upgraded. This was my first time actually flying United (I usually flew Continental more often but now since it is United, it is a different experience, but that is another story). I was not sure of the United services but had positive spirit for the flight.

UA needs to improve on their service across the board. CO had great service and I wish that the management would put CO service standards with the new UA. However, that will take time. Overall, I had a great flight with the new UA. FA’s were not as bad as I was told but friendly and helpful. If I was not upgraded, this TR would be completely different. Thanks for reading and have a great day!
You only get upgraded because there are 61 F and C seats combined, if it is the 2 class domestic 777, you would have ZERO chance getting upgraded as a silver. Also, when a 3 class plane flying domestic, in C class you would only have 1 choice, that is standard, if you are in F you would have 2 choices just like any other 2 class planes flying domestic. Therefore, it is not much of putting CO standard with the new UA.

Not to mention, 3 class plane to Hawaii is rare (except NRT-HNL), it is 2 class plane only most of the time. Any 2 class plane in F would have much worse seat than you got in a 3 class plane in C (except CO's 764 and 772), despite it is old C.

2996 is a PMUA 777 XI that normally would only fly to Asia and Europe not domestic, there are only a few of these planes left with old C.

They still have blankets! Though I am pretty sure that this came from CO
The blue thin blanket did come from CO, but if you are talking about blanket being available on a domestic flight is wrong assumption, all PMUA 3 class planes when flying domestic always have both pillows blankets in all classes merger or not. PMUA had those white comforters. CO was the one only have blankets and no pillows in F.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:48 pm
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Star Alliance Silver, jetBlue TrueBlue, CX Asia Miles, & Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
You only get upgraded because there are 61 F and C seats combined, if it is the 2 class domestic 777, you would have ZERO chance getting upgraded as a silver.
Well I was traveling with a 1K status member (higher than you) so maybe that helped.

Not to mention, 3 class plane to Hawaii is rare (except NRT-HNL), it is 2 class plane only most of the time. Any 2 class plane in F would have much worse seat than you got in a 3 class plane in C (except CO's 764 and 772), despite it is old C.
The plane was continuing to NRT then back to the US. Plus I don't think that using the 3 class planes to HNL from SFO is rare since the same plane type was flying for the next couple of days.

The blue thin blanket did come from CO, but if you are talking about blanket being available on a domestic flight is wrong assumption, all PMUA 3 class planes when flying domestic always have both pillows blankets in all classes merger or not. PMUA had those white comforters. CO was the one only have blankets and no pillows in F.
It was actually not thin rather the duvet style one. I also never assumed nor did I mention that this blanket is on all domestic flights.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Well I was traveling with a 1K status member (higher than you) so maybe that helped.
It would help only if you are your friend are on the same itnerary.

The plane was continuing to NRT then back to the US. Plus I don't think that using the 3 class planes to HNL from SFO is rare since the same plane type was flying for the next couple of days.
Just because the same plane type use for the next few days doesn't mean it is a regular, normally the 3 class 777 NRT-HNL will fly back to NRT and not going to SFO. Hawaii is a low yield market and that's why PMUA ordered 6 of those domestic 2 class 777 and fly specifically ORD-HNL/OGG/KOA and SFO-HNL. There are 3 more 3 class 777 that have non-horizontal flat seats will convert into 2 class domestic 777 as well.

It was actually not thin rather the duvet style one. I also never assumed nor did I mention that this blanket is on all domestic flights.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Thanks for your report!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE, AS 75K
Nice report and pictures, looks comfortable! Thanks for sharing!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a nice trip reports! I'm so glad you had a great trip. Enjoy Hawaii! ^^^
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks for sharing - have a great trip!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:34 am

We had the same breakfast on our flight from Houston to Costa Rica last week.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by DetailsIM
We had the same breakfast on our flight from Houston to Costa Rica last week.
Everyone always has the same breakfast in J and F on UA.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Yeah, hope UA can provide more food options for J and F..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.