Swiss First Class LAX-ZRH and New Year's in Spain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Swiss First Class LAX-ZRH and New Year's in Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:19 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
An enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report, thank you. I know a huge amount of work must go into a report like this.
Great photos, providing some real inspiration to go to Southern Spain (I've only done the north). As for LX F vs LH F, given my huuuuge sample size of flying each once (both their older products), I thought the gulf between LH and LX inflight (LX muuuuuuch better) was pretty much exactly equivalent to the huge difference between FRA's FCT and ZRH's F lounge. Pretty much a toss up, I reckon.
Thank you mad_atta for your kind comments.
Definitely a first world problem... choosing between the LH and LX. I still lean toward LH for the overall experience especially if it's New LH First on the 744. I have two more LX flights next weekend so I'll see how I feel after those.

Originally Posted by Spymon
Another great report. I really can't wait for your next one. I really enjoying seeing a little snapshot of the places you visit rather than just the inside of a plane, train or airport.
Thanks very much Spymon. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by NYBanker
An enjoyable read. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks NYBanker. Glad you enjoyed. BTW, loved your KE A380 report. I'm looking forward to my 2nd KE 380 flight in March ICN-LAX.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Another excellent read. Have some good italian friends teaching in Madrid and they were firmly in the camp that it is a better place than Barcelona, having lived in both places. I must say I agree, on the whole.

Originally Posted by SFO777
And coming soon: LX First ZRH-ORD. Just arrived in Chicago. Another great LX crew, food and service on the new 333.
But I still don't get the attraction and praises. The ZRH ground experience alone is enough to make me avoid LX.
ZRH is a pain of an airport, all told. Its layout for Schengen/non-Schengen, bus transit to flights (when not in F I guess) even on larger planes, and so much more ... no thanks. The fact that they don't work more actively to overcome this for F pax is truly bad form.

We had some interesting discussions with our guides about the state of the Spanish economy. Most felt that the 25% or 27% was an inflated number, and ignored a large "underground" economy. Stores, bars and restaurants were pretty full everywhere we went. Sure didn't seem like 25% unemployment.
It's a common refrain for many Southern Mediterranean countries; our very own Silvio would cite both points as proof that he was doing a bang up job. This doesn't consider many factors overall and paints a very distorting picture; many of these countries are literally living off borrowed money, while hiding wealth "under a mattress", which is hardly a sustainable state. But this is not the place to delve too deeply in the socio-economics of Spain, Italy or Greece ...

Wow. Thanks very much fieldeng for your kind comments. You may be right about new Spanish tapas places popping up. My frame of reference is mostly San Francisco, with only a half dozen or so, and where other than Piperade, neither Zarzuela or Alegria impressed.
They weren't that impressive. In the Bay Area, Iberia used to be the best place, in Menlo, though I haven't been in years. In the city, Contigo is probably the best restaurant styling itself as a spanish/tapas place, and B44 is still OK. I can only assume they bear the same resemblance to spanish cuisine that most italian places bear to the cuisine I eat back at the ancestral home. Which is no criticism, they can still be wonderful restaurants, just not the same. Went to Iberia with spanish folk, and they felt it did a good job.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
Your trip reports are always a joy to read. My wife and I shared your impression of Rondo. In fact we ended up loving the parador on the cliff so much that we just stayed there three days instead of one and just rearranged our schedule to make it work.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Another excellent read. Have some good italian friends teaching in Madrid and they were firmly in the camp that it is a better place than Barcelona, having lived in both places. I must say I agree, on the whole.
Thanks so much MarkedMan for all of your comments. Mrs. SFO and I agree that we would definitely return to Madrid before Barcelona.

Originally Posted by MarkedMan
ZRH is a pain of an airport, all told. Its layout for Schengen/non-Schengen, bus transit to flights (when not in F I guess) even on larger planes, and so much more ... no thanks. The fact that they don't work more actively to overcome this for F pax is truly bad form.
Agree completely. Even with two more LX First flights under my belt this week, I just don't understand the superlatives LX gets here on FT. Yes, inflight food and service are a little better than LH, but the wines aren't very good and the LH hard product and ground experience more than offsets minor food differences.

Originally Posted by MikeLaw
Your trip reports are always a joy to read. My wife and I shared your impression of Rondo. In fact we ended up loving the parador on the cliff so much that we just stayed there three days instead of one and just rearranged our schedule to make it work.
MikeLaw, thank you very much for your very kind comments. Nice to see someone else that thought Rondo was a special place.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:55 pm
formerly danblar

Great TR SFO777, really enjoying the creep shots - I think you've just stepped the TR game to a whole new level
Old Jun 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

A great read on a Sunday evening - your trip reports are really great, SFO777. Many thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Excellent trip report, throughly enjoyable ^
Old Sep 2, 2013, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
OK, now the main. Rabbit ragout? Filet of perch-pike with perch dumpling? I don't think so. That leaves the vegetarian ravioli or the beef tenderloin. The tenderloin was excellent from LAX-ZRH. Tonight, not so much. When I ordered it, I don't recall our FA asking how I would like it prepared. It came rare. Mrs. SFO sent hers back. I like mine medium rare so I decided to have a go. It was OK, sauce was good. But the cut wasn't as tasty as LAX-ZRH. Mrs. SFO was not as kind remarking that it was a cheap cut of meat. My culinary school graduate would know.

Great pictures! Rabbit ragout is actually very good - you should've given it a try. As for steaks... well, that's not Europe's forte, if you ask me.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:48 am

I read this 3 years later. Makes me want to visit the south of Spain.

10 years ago I was in Marbella which I liked. I had no idea at the time that Ronda existed and was only 1 hour away.

Anyway it was summer and very hot. Only the ocean was bearable. Must go.

Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
I read this 3 years later. Makes me want to visit the south of Spain.
10 years ago I was in Marbella which I liked. I had no idea at the time that Ronda existed and was only 1 hour away.
Anyway it was summer and very hot. Only the ocean was bearable. Must go.
Thanks.
Thanks very much Bretteee.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: AA
nice to see this resurrected thread. Was just in Spain this past spring/summer. Now regretting not making it to Ronda.

Seville vs Granada. Wonder if this is an age old debate? Having stopped at both and since speaking to others, you are either a Seville person or a Granada person it seems. Close to 50/50 for those I have spoken to. Personally, Granada takes it for me. Nothing against Seville, glad I went. There was something about Granada that captured me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.