Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

US Airways New Envoy Class PHL - MUC (February 2012)

Old Jan 25, 2013, 9:03 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany
Original Poster

Disclaimer
This is just a summary, the complete report is available on my homepage

In February 2012 I had the oportunity to try the new Envoy Class of US Airways between Philadelphia and Munich. I booked a US Airways Saver award for 60000 miles which I think is a great value for a Europe to North America Award, especially as the flight is in the new Envoy Class.

I have to admit, that my experiences on board US Airways are not as bad as those of other people; in so far I would not join those bashing US Airways. And actually with the latest experiences, they were more reliable than United Airlines. In so far, it was not really a question, to book a saver award in Business Class using 60000 US Airways miles in Summer 2011 for a flight to Montreal in February 2012.

On the flight from Munich to Philadelphia I had the old Envoy Class, which of course was not up to date in terms of comfort, but perfectly fine for a day flight. But I would rate the service on this flight better than the one on my flight from Philadelphia back to Munich, which was full in Envoy. But since I do not care that much about the food but about the possibility to sleep in the plane, it was not really an issue. I found the seat quite good, it is fully flat and I was able to sleep. The seat width and seat pitch are good, the place for the feet is also no problem, since I am either sleeping on my stomach or on the side. This is the reason why I need a fully flat seat to be able to really sleep. The AVOD system has from my experience the same number of channels than those on the other planes, but I might be wrong in so far. I only skipped through the system and did not really listened to music or watched a movie.

The report of the flight from PHL to MUC in the new Envoy Class is (with pictures) here:
http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/reis...phl_phlmuc.htm

One should notice, that the window seats in the first row of Envoy Class have no overhead bin (but one of those seats was used by a member of the flight deck taking a rest).

Compared with other airlines, esp. the old Lufthansa Business Class seat, I would prefer US Airways. Compared with Club World, the Envoy seat was a little bit more comfortable than the Club World, but I have no preference so far and would rate them equal in terms of "to be able to sleep on". So far, I have not sampled Air Canada's Business Class.

Like mentioned abvove the complete report of this trip which was an award in C and domestic F MUC-PHL-YUL-PHL-MUC with two positioning flight from DUS to MUC on LH. All segments are available here: http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/reis...vphl_intro.htm
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
Hello FLYGVA --

thank you for this trip report and for sharing those photos! I haven't had to fly Envoy in over 10 years and am a little nervous about an upcoming PHL-PARIS flight coming up in April that I have booked. Unfortunately, I can only sleep on planes for about an hour or so even during long 10-hour flights. So, I rely on the "flexibility" of C-class crews to come around every once in a while to offer water or cognac refills in the middle of the night.... and, believe me, sometimes it's pretty bad, depending on which airline

Your experience does give me hope, I must say.

I look forward to reading more of your TRs!!!

Thanks,

putongo
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I must say that - as an Italian - I am glad US Air serves Prosecco. While not as "glamorous" as champagne it's equally as good and it's a smart way for the company to save money. A classy compromise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.