Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Miracle. Mystery. Myanmar! (DTW-RGN/NYU, an RTW: DL F, PR J, 8M Y, 6T Y, TG F, UA F)

Miracle. Mystery. Myanmar! (DTW-RGN/NYU, an RTW: DL F, PR J, 8M Y, 6T Y, TG F, UA F)

Old Dec 29, 2012, 1:30 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Don't think you'd have got sick that quickly. What did you have before the UA flight?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:51 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Great report! I posted my Myanmar trip report recently (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-rgn-fare.html), I also went out to Mt. Popa during my trip but I missed going to the Golden Rock... I thought I would not have enough time to visit in my 4 days there.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:57 am

What a wonderful trip report. I was able to visit Myanmar in October for a week, yes one of those $400 fares, and the country left a lasting impression on me. Some of the most friendliest people I have ever encountered. I missed out on Mt. Popa and the Golden Rock. I know their is still much left to see. I did however manage to get a bad case of Burma belly as it's known. Knocked me out for a whole day, thankfully my friend had packed a bottle of something or other she had acquired in Mexico. I'll be back in Yangon in Feb. I will probably not eat much but, try to see all those things I missed while laid up in bed.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak (AGR) Select, AA Plat, DL Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade, HHonors Silver, BonVoy Gold
Thanks for the replies!

Dear FTers,

I am grateful to all of you who have read my 2012 Myanmar TR and particularly to those of you who took the time to reply.

In true lurker fashion I have not been back to check this page in quite a while, sorry.

miko2a, I agree about "the friendliest people." I sure hope that you'll come back and enjoy Golden Rock (an absolute must-experience-it destination, miko2a and hauteboy) and Mt. Poppa... sans any food safety complications!

aviatorzz and leiterk, your point is well-taken. It is possible that UA's ex-FRA fish dish was not the cause of my symptoms. In any case, nothing actually happened at the IAD lounge (i.e. this could have been far worse) and I was fine the next day... UA was very generous to hear me out and to offer the miles without my asking, though.

TrayflowInUK, my apologies about the factual error on ID'ing that Airbus. Thanks for correcting me!
Yes, YVR-MNL used to originate in LAS 4x weekly (other days were a straight YVR turnaround with the new 772 instead of the A340). Now, YYZ has replaced LAS on PR's schedule.

CDKing, nope, sorry, missed out on the famous F massage in BKK ;-)

To all who have written the exemplary recent Myanmar TRs here on FT - great work spotlighting the destination. Yes many disturbing changes but it's still dramatically unique in comparison to its neighbors. Who knows, we might have a country-specific Myanmar forum here at some point in the future.

Watch for a 2013 Myanmar TR from me sometime...
( hopefully, I'll post it before we're ringing in 2014. :-)
Not surprisingly, the agenda... more Myanmar in Teacher May's inimitable and outstanding company. Weeks rather than days.

Happy travels,

SEA_lurker

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.