Lufthansa New First Class DEN-FRA and pre-Christmas in Paris

Subscribe
We've been to Paris many times but never at Christmas. And even though we're going to Spain in two weeks, we decided what the heck, with tons of miles from new Chase credit card bonuses, let's go for three nights, see the lights and do a little shopping.

Lufthansa 447 DEN-FRA NEW First Class
The LH First Class Terminal at FRA
Lufthansa 1034 FRA-CDG Business Class
Hotel de la Trémoille
Christmas in Paris
Eating our way thru Paris
Lufthansa 1043 CDG-FRA Business Class
Le Meridien Parkhotel Frankfurt
The LH First Class Terminal at FRA
Lufthansa 446 FRA-DEN NEW First Class

DEN-FRA is generally an easy award flight and at T-14 I booked two seats into an F8 cabin. Although the flight has only been running about 50% new First, we lucked out today as refurbished D-ABVP was our aircraft. I OLCI'd at home but we stopped at the counter for real BPs and our onward FRA-CDG BP.

Pleasant agent told us we were welcome in the United Club in the B concourse. I don't think so. A crappy lounge in a different concourse from our A-41 departure gate? Come on LH. Much more convenient to use the A concourse Admirals Club, a nicer lounge and only a three minute walk from the gate. Some recycled pics from a previous trip...

At T-50, we headed out to nearby Gate A41

Boarding started at T-45, with First and Business pax, although one DYKWIA *G in coach insisting that he should be able to board with the F pax.

Up next: Another fabulous LH First flight, just not long enough.
I thought *G were supposed to be able to use the priority boarding gate. Not true?
Looking forward to another amazing trip report.
Another SFO777 classic!

Merry Christmas and looking forward to the rest of your trip report!
It's disappointing to read that LH F only gets you access to the UA Lounge. I'd think that ex-DEN LH would at least have a Business Lounge. Seriously, if they can manage one in DTW, then why not DEN ?
Lufthansa 447
DEN-FRA
747-400
December 11, 2012
3:05P-8:40A +1 (sked)
2:56P-8:16A +1 (actual)
Departed 7/8
Seats 83C and 83H

Always seems a little strange when Business is the first jetway and First is the second one, as is the hike up the narrow stairs with carry-ons. But once on the upper deck, all is well. Our two wonderful FAs welcomed us on board and showed us to our seats. As we were the first pax to board (no doubt the others were still on the train from the United Club ), was able to snap some cabin pics.

The first of four glasses of Pommery Cuvée Louise at the gate.
OK, it's not Krug but quite nice.

The amenity kit, a little weak. Thanks for the eye/face cream but how about some hand lotion? Especially since there wasn't any in the lav.

Great views from high above the tarmac as we get ready to push.

Skychefs no doubt delivering fine cuisine to one of the dregs of the Alliance.

After take-off, our FAs sprung into action prepping the cabin for drinks and dinner service.

Meanwhile, time to see if the internet actually works. I popped for the 19.95 euros for 24 hours. Speed was excellent throughout, generally faster than gogo on AA or DL. Although at that price, probably not a lot of takers. UA of course has never heard of WiFi, but heck they have the best route network and 787s, right Jeff?

Amuse bouche and an excellent G&T today.

So did you say you visited the AC as part of a *A tix? Or that you would rather do so? Confused!
Quote: I thought *G were supposed to be able to use the priority boarding gate. Not true?
The first call was for First and Business only. Presumably, the next call was for *G. But this dude wasn't even in the Business lane, blocking the F lane arguing with the GA.

Quote: Looking forward to another amazing trip report.
Thanks halfcape. Will do my best!

Quote: Another SFO777 classic!
Merry Christmas and looking forward to the rest of your trip report!
Thank you stu1985. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Quote: It's disappointing to read that LH F only gets you access to the UA Lounge. I'd think that ex-DEN LH would at least have a Business Lounge. Seriously, if they can manage one in DTW, then why not DEN ?
Short of building their own lounge, not sure what their options are. Not sure why they have one in DTW. Maybe UA doesn't have one there so they were forced to build.

Quote: So did you say you visited the AC as part of a *A tix? Or that you would rather do so? Confused!
No AC access with ticket. I'm an AC member, so I just used my AC card for access.
Wow.. So you are able to use AC even when not on AA or OW tix? VERY different (AFAIK) to United Clubs where no *A pass == no entry...
Quote: Wow.. So you are able to use AC even when not on AA or OW tix? VERY different (AFAIK) to United Clubs where no *A pass == no entry...
SFO777 has an Admiral Club's membership which allows access to the AC no matter which airline you're flying.. same as if you were a United Club member.

FDW
Looks Great so far SFO777! I always enjoy your TRs. Mrs. mallodi would kill for Christmas in Paris. I'll have to get my points-balances up!
Nice photos, looks like you're off to a great start so far! I'm sure Paris will be splendid at Christmastime.com
Quote: Short of building their own lounge, not sure what their options are. Not sure why they have one in DTW. Maybe UA doesn't have one there so they were forced to build.
I'm pretty sure it's "The needs of the business" driving it, or in this specific case "The needs of the Auto Business". There's non-stop service DTW<->FRA and you know a chunk of that is going to be paid C/F .

I was in the DTW Lounge in June, it was an average LH biz lounge, but TOTALLY empty when I was there(mid-week/mid-day).
Looking forward to another great TR from SFO777. I'm hoping to get in on some LH awards this winter as well so am definitely interested in some recent perspectives.
Shaping up to be an excellent TR as always. Paris is on of my favorite cities and even though I was there 3.5 months ago I already miss it!