Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Celebrating Birthday onboard Cathay First by Cleaning out the Entire Plane (CX F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrating Birthday onboard Cathay First by Cleaning out the Entire Plane (CX F)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC

Introduction

Finally another Short hair Francis TR, its been a very hectic year due to a group thesis as part of my senior year in University but without further adieu…

Planning for birthdays tends to be absolutely tough for me, now its gotten even tougher since half of my friends have already graduated and live elsewhere.
So way back in Nov, my friend and FTer jfkeze was enticing me to do a F trip on CX F to YVR since he’s never been to YVR. Lucky for us, we had some flexibility in choosing the weekend we wanted to go.
Finally CX opened up 2 F rewards seat Thursday night before Easter weekend which was perfect since it was right near my birthday and also because I had to go to YVR for some personal stuff that weekend.
I ended up booking it as JFK-YVR-HKG and using YVR as my stopover as allowed by AA rewards while Jfkeze ended up AMS-LHR-JFK-YVR so he used JFK as his stopover
As for my other friends, they were either Toronto or Calgary based so a car trip or a US airways mileage ticket got everyone to Vancouver

I would like to thank jfkeze and SFO777 for their contributions towards the writing of this report!

Route Map

Flights (2 Flights, 2742 Miles)
All Flights flown
Jetblue Airways 7 – Buffalo to New York Kennedy (Economy Class)
Cathay Pacific Airways 889 – New York Kennedy to Vancouver (First Class)

Trip Parts
Part 1 – You Cleaned out the Entire CX First Class Catering?!?

Links to Other Written Trip Reports
Click Here for Other Trip Reports

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Nov 6, 2013 at 8:27 am Reason: All Completed :)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Part 1 – You Cleaned out the Entire CX First Class Catering?!?

Since I had that CX F JFK-YVR booked way ahead of time, all I needed a simple BUF-JFK on Jetblue to complete the flights. Since it was my b-day weekend, I didn’t save the 15 bucks for the extra leg room seat.

Apr 5, 2012 – Thursday
B6 7 BUF – JFK 4:28pm- 6:00pm (320/Y)
CX 889 JFK – YVR 10:40pm – 1:30am (+1)[Apr 6] (77W/F)

Last class of my college undergrad, the professor easily found out I wasn’t really in the mood to be there, it was last lecture and all people had to do was hand in their term papers and for some to finish their presentations. Its not like my Intercultural studies professor didn’t found that earlier in the year either, I did fly 100K BIS in January & February 2012. Sorry, Professor Cummings

10:30am, bye bye University, off to grab the car at home and straight to the border.
Thankfully CX First Class is a very good excuse for crossing the border for an afternoon.
Off to Walden Galleria to pick up some new clothes and keep on staying Classy Buffalo, almost parked to a 90’s corolla with bullet holes on the side metal body
Really should’ve took a photo of that bad boy.

Waited at the Starbucks until 1 hr 20 mins ahead since Buffalo airport doesn’t have internet, then drove to the airport parking 5 mins away. Just like other long weekend, plenty of Ontario plated cars at BUF. And just like other long weekends, plenty of kettles at security. Thankfully I can still use my AA EXP card to bypass a lot of the crowd.

Boarding started about 35 mins out since it was a sold out flight, but I wasn’t going to risk a bump on my B-day CX First, nah.
Lots of suits and gate lice hanging around the gate, and those weren’t happy suits, who can blame them for being sent to Buffalo.

Jetblue Airways Airbus 320-200

Jetblue Airways 7
Buffalo to New York Kennedy
4:28pm – 6:00pm, 1 hr 32 min flight
Economy Class, Seat 11C
Food – Beverage Service
Equipment – Airbus 320-200

Pretty uneventful flight, a drink and some munchies courtesy of Jetblue, couldn’t expect more on a 1 hr 5 min flight down to JFK.

I was very early getting to JFK, around 6:20pm to be exact, the CX counters on the F/J side weren’t open. After asking the BA supervisor, I got led through the back office and he grabbed a CX “BA” person to check me in. With the EXP card, got my seat changed to 2K which is my favorite seat.

Unfortunately I had to wait for Jfkeze who was in the office so he didn’t get to JFK until around 7pm, no worries, the BA F check-in area had some comfy sofas to sit on.

Cathay Pacific First Class Check-In, not staffed at 7pm

Premium security was sneaked behind F/J check-in counters so thankfully didn’t had to mingle with the huge crowd waiting for their TATL flights.

The Government wants to see you naked

New York Kennedy BA First Class and Terraces Lounges

SFO777 has more of the Lounge’s photo in his report
YUL-PSP via JFK and YVR?? Another amazing Cathay Pacific First Class experience

And yes, I did try to get SFO777 to go for another CX F flight, but Mrs. SFO777 knee didn’t cooperate, so no dice. 3 FTers on a CX F flight might be a bit overboard

The CX liaison lady in the lounge was not welcoming if you ask me, seeing both of us young’un in the F lounge.
We did get the pre-flight dining but this time again the BA dragon didn’t believe we were seated in First either, ugh…
Seriously what’s wrong with young people in the first class cabin?

And the first class side is literally like a dungeon so more or less we hang around on the Business Class Side.

Apparently jfkeze commented I ate a lot at pre-flight dining but I didn’t think so, a couple of drinks, 1 airport hotel to booked for YVR that night and we’re all set.
BA, fix your bloody internet in the lounge, so effing slow!
I also got another copy of the CX F boarding pass as I do like to collect them, especially my 3 class First ones. That I had to lie to the liaison lady

Both of us went out to the gate area around T-50, I wanted my pics and really, we’re just bored to death sitting in the lounge.
Gate 5 was the gate and unfortunately just like all my previous experiences at JFK T7, boarding is a custer....

Cathay Pacific Airways 889
New York Kennedy to Vancouver
10:40pm – 1:30am (+1) , 5 hr 50 min flight
First Class, Seat 2K (Short hair Francis), 1K (Jfkeze)
Food – Dinner
Equipment – Boeing 777-300ER (6F/53J/34Y+/182Y)

As usual, I am a premium gate lice! First to board after the chairs anyway or did I pass a chair on the jetway?

Cathay Pacific Boeing 777-300ER First Class Cabin

Seat 2K for me

And yes, that garbage thing on top of the TV was actually this
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17941217-post17.html

I miss you CX F, got settled in rather quickly as we wanted to finish a bottle of Krug on the ground which we did. Originally it was just booked 2/6 in F, but later it was 3/6 and finally 4/6, me and jfkeze in 1K/2K, an Asian lady was first in 2D, but I’m not going to be the quietest passenger on my birthday flight so she moved to 2A and a dead-head pilot in 1A. Half a cabin isn’t shabby, and trust me, we were praying it our flight was going to be like SFO777, please have a ground delay or severe headwind en-route please, diversions are also welcomed

Part 1 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Oct 29, 2013 at 3:45 am
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Poster

We were about 5 mins late pushing off waiting for last minute but sadly, no headwind, 5 hrs exact flying time to Vancouver tonight

About 10 mins taxiing out to 31L, we took off just around 11:25pm

Turning around New York City and making our way towards the Northwest

This flight has the newest interface of StudioCX which I find was kinda lagging and slower compared to the one being used for the last 3 to 4 years

CX 889 New York Kennedy – Vancouver Dinner
*Thanks SFO777 for typing them up

Starters
Smoked Salmon carpaccio with avocado creme fraiche timbale and capers
Truffle potato soup
Caesar salad with marinated prawns

Main Courses
Grilled USDA prime beef tenderloin with creme de cassis onion marmalade, mashed potatoes, baby carrots, asparagus and artichoke
Rigatoni with gorgonzola cheese sauce and mixed vegetables

Chinese Favourites
Double boiled duck with winter melon soup
Cold plate - vegetarian duck
Stir-fried lobster with scallion and ginger, steamed jasmine rice, kailan with black mushroom and carrot flower

Cheese and Dessert
Cambozola, St. Paulin, Goat Cheese, Yellow Cheddar
Raspberry yoghurt cake with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee
Pralines

As everyone else know, catching me on a good day or a bad day for CX in this case and I eat like a boar…
Norli and Audrey were the 2 CX FAs in First today and they were just awesome

Starter Drink – Johnny Walker Blue Label with some Coke Zero chase

Dining Presentation

Bread Basket, special catered to all Garlic Bread

Appetizer - Smoked Salmon carpaccio with avocado creme fraiche timbale and capers

I agree with SFO777, mine was equally just as good

Flying over Niagara, hi home!

Sadly halfway through our meal, apparently CX only catered half a bottle of JW Blue so it’s already completely finished by the two of us

Back to eating
Salad - Caesar salad with marinated prawns

Was way too much cheese and prawns, could use more than 3 pieces of lettuce

Chinese Appetizer - Vegetarian duck

Essentially it’s Bean Curd wrapped in Shiitake Mushroom, sadly it was missing malt vinegar, don’t know why CX doesn’t cater vinegar for it

Main Course - Stir-fried lobster with scallion and ginger, steamed jasmine rice, kailan with black mushroom and carrot flower

Lobster was wonderful, tasted flavorful and rice and kalian was cooked correctly, couldn’t say the same about the lobster in June sadly

Cheeseboard

Never been a big fan personally so I’m reserving this for Jfkeze

Dessert

Pralines

After the meal, decided to get the bed made, was around 1:15am eastern when the service finish, off for some sleep.

Part 1 Continues Below

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jul 11, 2012 at 10:56 am
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Caught about 1 hr 45 mins of sleep, flying above Montana then
Well I’m up, lets keep eatin’!
In the meanwhile, Jfkeze is still fast asleep

CX 889 New York Kennedy to Vancouver Mid-Flight Snacks
Wontons in noodle soup
Ice Cream

First the FA gave me the soup I originally order during dinner, I had told them to skip it earlier since the flight was going through turbulence but they did somehow held it for me which was nice

Chinese Soup - Double boiled duck with winter melon soup

Weirdly its things like these that makes you miss Mommy cooking

Wonton Noodle in Soup

Norli kinda sensed I wasn’t quite full so I ask if there was any Beef Tenderloin or the Pasta. Sadly there weren’t since this plane was only catered for 3 passenger in First since the 3rd passenger was a last minute mileage upgrade and the 4th was a non-rev.
Essentially we cleaned out all the ENTIRE First Class catering!!!

Luckily there were 1 more Salmon Appetizer left and more wonton noodles, so I went back at it.

I finally finished up with a fruit plate about 25 mins out of Vancouver

There were pretty much nothing left in First to eating since it was all gone after the 5 hr flight.
Ate 2 Salmon Appetizer, 1 Salad, 1 Soup, 1 Main, 1 Dessert, 2 Noodles, 1 Fruit Plate, and Krug and JW Blue for 5 hrs plus BA pre-flight dining, not too shabby

The light up ski hills

And on the ground and at the gate at 1:28am

No questioning from the customs from me, although Jfkeze had a way funnier process. Jfkeze is used to getting questioned on his travel patterns by the US CBP. Although that did change after he got Global Entry. But upon entering Canada, a Canadian border agent was keen to ask him about his travel patterns and job. When asked if he had ever worked in Canada or ever intended to work there. He simply stated, nah not interested. LOL

Mom was there to pick us up at YVR at 1:45am and off to the hotel
Back in Vanny once again, it’s been almost a year, now where are the rest of my friend?

As to the rest of the Birthday weekend, how did that went?
My friends overnighted in Kamloops if anyone outside Canada can locate that without using google maps or mapquest due to a snowstorm
Got a 2 bedroom Suite at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver
Went out to Roxys one night
Had a wonderful Japanese all you can eat dinner
“24 oysters in 15 mins for yours truly”

Hyatt Regency Vancouver

Our group even got HOSPITAL ELITE STATUS!
2 times in 5 hrs, once due to an on-going throat problem and the other, oh boy
My friend who I gave my CX pajamas decided to be the Super Ninja and decided to jump off this 12 steps of stairs outside the Hyatt.
He was out of action for many months to come

Even took a pic for the memories

Additionally, the Hyatt was hosting a convention of AAer, not American Airlines
“Alcoholic Anonymous”

The boys were desperately thinking of ways to pick up these AA chicks without alcohol, lol

Last edited by Short hair Francis; Jul 11, 2012 at 11:16 am
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Hope everyone enjoys this short report from me, and safe travels everyone
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
The Hospital Elite Status worked great! Since it was our second visit in just a few hours, we were able to skip the line and get FastTrack! hehe

The Government wants to see you naked ^^^
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Great TR, Francis ^

I even saw the clerk who groped me at JFK in April
Old Jul 11, 2012, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It has been too long since I enjoyed a report from you, glad to see one again!

Amusingly, I'm going to be celebrating my birthday this year on that very same flight! I booked RDU-ORD-DCA-JFK-YVR all in F to get the job done. Your report helps me count down the days until October. I'll do my best to clean out the plane too.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Francis, great pics and report. And only two months after the fact!
I think I'm glad I couldn't make that flight... there wouldn't have been anything left for me to eat!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfkeze
The Hospital Elite Status worked great! Since it was our second visit in just a few hours, we were able to skip the line and get FastTrack! hehe

The Government wants to see you naked ^^^
Worked great, but definitely wrecked the weekend to some degree.
At least the Hyatt found us a wheelchair ^
Hope you enjoyed my Vancouver style driving lol

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Great TR, Francis ^

I even saw the clerk who groped me at JFK in April
Ouch
But ya, as I always say, the TSA loves me more than my ex-gf
I should get that made as a t-shirt ^

Originally Posted by CMK10
It has been too long since I enjoyed a report from you, glad to see one again!

Amusingly, I'm going to be celebrating my birthday this year on that very same flight! I booked RDU-ORD-DCA-JFK-YVR all in F to get the job done. Your report helps me count down the days until October. I'll do my best to clean out the plane too.
Thanks CMK10, its been such a hectic year that I really didn't had much spare time available to write TRs, I'm going to try my best though, there is still one more coming around.
RDU-ORD-DCA-JFK-YVR, damn, if you got that on AA miles, impressive ^
Clean out the plane

Originally Posted by SFO777
Francis, great pics and report. And only two months after the fact!
I think I'm glad I couldn't make that flight... there wouldn't have been anything left for me to eat!
Actually it's three months
You definitely would've something to eat, they cater for an additional person in First Class, sadly we had 2 extra passenger day of departure and hence why all the food was gone.
I still remember telling u the morning after, laughing my brains out about cleaning out CX
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
RDU-ORD-DCA-JFK-YVR, damn, if you got that on AA miles, impressive ^
Clean out the plane
I did indeed! 32,500 to be exact. They offered me RDU-JFK or RDU-DCA-JFK but if I'm using miles, I'm getting my money's worth! RDU-ORD and ORD-DCA are meal flights too.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
I did indeed! 32,500 to be exact. They offered me RDU-JFK or RDU-DCA-JFK but if I'm using miles, I'm getting my money's worth! RDU-ORD and ORD-DCA are meal flights too.
Super lucky, well don't get too filled up on AA, and remember, we now own a chicken farm
Save your stomach for CX F

This is now uploaded too, i've been saving this bad boy for awhile!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...sq-j-ba-f.html
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC Gold, IC Plat Amb, Accor Gold
Interesting account - thanks ^

My son (who finished Uni last year) enjoyed CX F LHR-HKG last week (on my Avios). He managed 6 servings of the caviar and salmon, each washed down with a glass or two of Krug.

Over-priviledged young uns....
Old Jul 12, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Great TR. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:21 pm

Sounds like a fun trip!

Thanks for sharing!

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.