Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Sign in using an external account

Old Jun 15, 12, 6:20 am   #1
Moderator: Trip Reports

Programs: BA Silver, EK, Virgin Australia, Miles&More, Marriott, Hyatt, SPG
Big Trip 2012 – Hong Kong, the UK and the South of France on CX, BA and EZY!

Big Trip 2012 – Hong Kong, the UK and the South of France on Cathay Pacific, BA and Easyjet!

The Four Seasons Hotel, Hong Kong – Swimming Pool

Welcome to my 19th Trip Report

Join me as I take a three week break to the UK and the South of France via Hong Kong taking in some luxury hotels, a few days in London, a wedding in Newcastle and a few days relaxing on the Côte d'Azur. I travelled on Cathay Pacific, sampling their new Business Class product as well as BA’s new World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy) product and a bit of low cost carrier fun with Easyjet.

This Report Features

- The Qantas International Business Class Lounge, Sydney
- Cathay Pacific New Business Class – A330 – CX110, Sydney to Hong Kong
- The Four Seasons Hotel, Hong Kong
- A day and a bit in Hong Kong
- The Wing, Cathay Pacific Business Class Lounge, Hong Kong
- The Qantas/British Airways Business Class Lounge, Hong Kong
- British Airways New World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy) – 777-300ER – BA28, Hong Kong to London Heathrow Terminal 5
- A few days in West Sussex – Meeting my beautiful niece for the first time
- The Radisson Blu Edwardian Bloomsbury Street Hotel, London
- A few days in London including: The British Museum, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast, Westminster Abbey
- The British Airways Galleries North and South Business Class lounges, London Heathrow Terminal 5
- British Airways Domestic Class, BA1334, London to Newcastle
- A wedding in the Northumberland countryside
- The British Airways Terraces Lounge, Newcastle
- British Airways Domestic Class, BA1327, Newcastle to London
- A few days in Kent including the Folkstone Air Show
- London Gatwick to Nice on Easyjet, EZ5067
- The Best Western Golf Hotel Valescure, Saint-Raphael
- A few days in the South of France including a flying visit to Monaco and a day in Saint-Tropez
- Nice to London Gatwick on Easyjet, EZ5070
- British Airways New World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy) – 777-300ER – BA27, Hong Kong to London
- The Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Hong Kong (the highest hotel in the world)
- A day and a bit in Hong Kong
- The Cabin, Cathay Pacific Business Class Lounge, Hong Kong
- The Wing, Cathay Pacific Business Class Lounge, Hong Kong
- Cathay Pacific New Business Class – A330 – CX101, Hong Kong to Sydney

Routing

Notes on Photography

I’ve often been asked what camera equipment I use for my reports. Well, I’ve been lucky enough to get my hands on a shiny new Nikon D800 36mp DSLR, which arrived only a few weeks before I started this trip. I used two lenses for this report, the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 and the Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRII. I’ve also used my iPhone 4, as sometimes it’s not appropriate to wield my DSLR around. All of the photos have been processed in Adobe’s Lightroom 4 to my own style (which you may or may not like ).

Background

It’s been almost a year since I’ve been back to the UK. Last time I was lucky enough to fly First Class on BA, my first experience. You can read all about that trip here. I’ve recently been doing lots of travelling for work which is a bit tiresome but was able to have a short holiday in January during the Christmas period, however, I really wanted arrange a proper holiday for 2012.

Something happened this year that made the timing of this trip very important. My younger sister told me that she was pregnant only a couple of months after I returned from the UK. She is diabetic (type 1), and there were concerns about how well the pregnancy would go and whether the baby would be ok. It was a stressful 8 months, with my sister in and out of hospital on a regular basis. Once the major milestones were met I started to get a little more confidence that everything would be ok. The baby was due in April and I toyed with the idea of trying to plan to be there for the birth, but the timing would have been very difficult. The doctors had said that she would have to give birth a few weeks early, induced for both her and the baby’s safety, but it was hard to know exactly when this would occur. My good friends also gave me the news that they were going to be getting married at the end of May, after the birth, up in Northumberland, so in the end I decided to plan my trip around the wedding, a date that was fixed.

Now, how to get to the UK? Business class tickets from Sydney usually cost around $8500/£5500, which I couldn’t really afford, given that I wanted to go back at Christmas as well. So I looked to see if there was a creative way to use my BA miles (now called Avios). I had about 100,000 in the bank which wouldn’t buy me a return fare all the way to London so I looked at alternative options. I discovered that I could get a return business class fare to Hong Kong on Cathay for that amount of Avios. Availability was good so I chose an early morning Saturday departure so that I could then book a late flight on the Sunday with BA to London. The aircraft used on the Sydney to Hong Kong route is one of the newer A330-300s which is fitted with the brand new business class, so I was looking forward to trying it out. I then booked a return flight on BA, choosing the 777-300ER flight fitted with the new premium economy seating. The fare difference to business was around £3000 so it was a no brainer for me to book premium instead.

Next up, the wedding was in Northumberland so I booked a return domestic flight on BA to Newcastle, so that I could enjoy some time in the lounges at Terminal 5 in Heathrow. Come on, it’s not like I was going to take the train is it?

On the 17th of March I got the fantastic news that my little niece, Isla was born. She was around 4 weeks early and underweight. It was a rather traumatic birth and she had to stay in hospital for around 10 days as she had some problems feeding as well as prolonged jaundice but everything worked out well and Isla is now doing really well.

And so. On with the trip.

Sydney to Hong Kong

I’d been away in Adelaide for the whole week (all these glamorous places that I get to travel to for work), so when I got back on Thursday evening I had to spend pretty much the whole of Friday doing laundry and packing. I didn’t finish until 10pm when I set my alarm for 4.55am (and a second one for 5am!) and went to bed. You see, the flight that I had chosen to Hong Kong was a dreaded early morning departure, arriving in Hong Kong mid-afternoon.

Urgh, 4.55am. I managed to ease out another 10 minutes in bed before I got up, had a shower, packed the last bits into my suitcase and then headed downstairs to the waiting taxi at 5.30am. The driver was really friendly and actually greeted me by name.

Normally I would post a photo of me going over the bridge, but it was dark, so I didn’t bother. In fact, that early in the morning most of the lights on some of the main attractions in Sydney aren’t even on.

The journey was really quick, only taking 20 minutes and we soon arrived outside the drop off point, right at the start of the area as Cathay uses zone A at Sydney. As I arrived at the desks they weren’t busy, but all full.

Check in at Sydney

There were two business class desks open, but for some reason, the passengers in front of them were stuck and not moving. It took about 10 minutes before I was able to check in. The agent was really friendly and apologised for the wait. I checked in my bag, got my boarding pass, Express Path card (fast track) and lounge invite and made my way to the Express Path security lane. I was through quickly, had my passport stamped and then through security and out into the duty free maze.

The duty free maze

Rather comfy public waiting area

I wanted to try and pick up something for my niece and spent a little while looking around but to be honest I couldn’t find anything that I liked so I made my way to the lounge. On the way I decided to pick up some Hong Kong dollars at the Travelex. What a bloody rip off. I got absolutely screwed over both on the rate and the fees. I’ll never get travel money at the airport again.

Cathay Pacific does not have their own lounge so they use the Qantas Business lounge, for which I am very familiar. I forlornly walked past the entrance to the fantastic First lounge (my recent photo report can be found here) and made my way down the long corridor to the Business lounge. The agents at the front desk were more interested in playing on their computer than acknowledging my existence. Unfortunately, this seems to be a recurring issue. It’s like chalk and cheese compared to the First lounge.

The lounge was really empty, I’d never actually seen it that empty before. The morning sun was just starting to creep above the horizon, bathing the lounge in sunlight. It was around 6.30am at this point, so only 40 minutes before boarding was due to start.

The large dining table in the Qantas Business Class lounge

Seating areas

Seating areas

Seating areas

A view over the tarmac

There was a hot breakfast on offer, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, hash browns as well as continental items such as yoghurt and fruit. I decided not to bother, since I’d be eating on the plane. I grabbed an apple juice, found a quiet corner of the lounge and watched the sun rise. Alcohol was available I believe, but I decided against it.

The sun came up really quickly, as it seems to in Sydney, and at about 6.50am I decided that I’d had enough of the lounge so I made my way to gate 31.

Breakfast juices

Breakfast – continental selection

Breakfast – hot selection

A nice glass of apple juice

Last edited by matthandy; Jun 23, 12 at 5:51 am.. Reason: Spelling corrections
matthandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 6:21 am   #2

As I was leaving the sun had really made it’s way over the horizon and was catching everything in it’s path. If you are unlucky enough to be up at this time of the morning, seeing something like that does go far in terms of compensation. I made my way out of the lounge and found that the sun was making pretty pictures all over the departure area so I had to grab a few before I headed to the gate.

The large dining table, bathed in sunlight

The large dining table, bathed in sunlight

Bottles on one of the bars outside the lounge

An A380 sits at a gate with it’s back to the city

As I arrived at the gate, it was clear that boarding was due to start soon as the agents were quite busy tapping away at the computer. There were two queue lines, one for economy, one for business. This seemed to confirm that premium economy was not going to be available on this flight. I was already reasonably sure of this because I’d actually looked up the incoming aircraft the night before, it was B-LAL which does not have PE. So, sorry, no photos of the new cabin, maybe on the way back (yes, ).

Sydney to Hong Kong – Cathay Pacific Business Class (new)

Flight: CX110
Carrier: Cathay Pacific (CX)
Aircraft: Airbus A330-300 – B-LAL
Scheduled Departure Time: 07:35
Scheduled Duration: 9h 35m
Scheduled Arrival Time: 15:10
Travel Class: Business
Seat: 12A (seat plan)

I was keen to get onto the aircraft first, to get some shots of the empty cabin. However, there was an American family who had seemingly positioned themselves right near the entrance to the business class queue. I got a bit cheeky and asked the Dad if he’d mind if I jumped in front of them, waving my camera towards him as if to legitimise my request. He didn’t object, so as soon as the agent motioned towards us to come forward I went ahead of them and was soon semi-sprinting down the air bridge to the aircraft. I was on board at about 7.05, 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time.

A funny thing, the American family seemed a bit bemused about what to expect on board. They asked the agent whilst we were waiting if this was an all business class service. As far as I know, Cathay has no such service on any route. The agent explained that there were 39 seats in business on this aircraft. I guess it just serves as a reminder that not all passengers are flying geeks and freaks!

For some annoying reason, only one door was used, door 1, which meant that all passengers had to file past the business class cabin, therefore, getting settled quickly was important. I was greeted at the door although not by name, and was led to my seat. The friendly male crew member unfortunately stood just behind my seat, blocking my view of the cabin. I whipped out the camera and he moved aside so that I was able to grab a couple of quick shots before everyone else arrived.

Cathay Pacific’s New Business Class Cabin on the A330

My seat, 12A

The American family joined me shortly after and again seemed bemused about various things. I was a bit surprised that someone booking a flight (especially in business with 5 people) would know so little about what to expect.

So, this was the first time that I got to try out the new Cathay Pacific Business Class seat. First impressions, extremely good. I was sat in 12A, on the left side of the aircraft, in the second row. This is a two class aircraft, but for some reason the row numbering starts at 11A, maybe they are reserving rows 1-10 for First Class on other aircraft? On the seat was a large pillow. On the ottoman was a duvet and the headphones were in a little cupboard to my side. There was plenty of storage space, with enough room to unload my laptop, including the power adapter into the compartment near my ankles. The shelf next to my left arm was huge, with plenty of space to place my camera, drinks and assorted other things. In addition to this there was a shoe cupboard in the arm rest next to the aisle (although I actually didn't discover this until the flight home).

Sitting down, the seat itself was wide and comfortable. So wide that I didn’t touch the retractable arm rest on my right side. Having travelled in BA’s New First previously, I know that a lot of comparisons are often made between the two seats. I’d say that Cathay’s seat is about as wide but it feels more enclosed because of the IFE console right next to you on your left hand side. The shelf also feels more imposing and there is definitely less space in the leg area. However, this is a business class, not a first class product, so the fact that the differences are only minimal is quite something. One thing to point out is the seatbelt. It has an airbag built in which makes it rather bulky and a little awkward to adjust. I’m sure that this is to do with the fact that it is not possible to brace against the seat in front in the event of an emergency.

Seated, blanket on the ottoman

Lots of side storage space

View from the window

After the flow of passengers seemed to slow slightly, pre-departure drinks were offered. This was about 7.20am. To my shock the only choices were apple or orange juice. Where was the Champagne? Do I care that it was only 7.20am? Nope, there’s no excuse for no bubbles for pre-departure beverages in my book!
I settled with an apple juice just as our Australian Captain made his welcome announcement, introducing the cockpit crew and informing us that we were expecting to push back shortly. Our flight time today was due to be 9 hours and 20 minutes.

At 7.25am everyone was on board and the door was closed and we pushed back. It seemed like it was going to be a very light load on the flight as not that many people had filed past me. The business class cabin certainly wasn’t full.

As we pushed back the crew came around to offer hot towels and push the retractable arm rest down. I can only guess that this is to do with aiding evacuation in the event of an emergency. Despite the crew member pushing the arm rest down it popped up again, and not just for me. In fact it took quite a lot of effort to get the bloody thing to latch into place.

We rumbled out to the main runway and had a reasonably smooth take off at 7.40am. The seat belt sign was off for the crew quite quickly but for passengers it took a good ten minutes or so. Water bottles and wash kits were handed out, with different kits for male and female passengers.

Menus were handed out shortly after with passengers being addressed by name. That was the first and last time throughout the entire flight that my name was used and it somewhat set the tone for the rest of the service.

Taxiing out to the runway

Menu and male wash kit

The menu looked pretty good and consisted of a full breakfast service followed by lunch before our arrival into Hong Kong.

At 8am, only 20 minutes after take-off a table cloth was laid on the rather small but sturdy table and the breakfast service commenced. No orders were taken as everything was dished out on a trolley.

The Menu

The Wine List

First up there was a drinks round, minus any alcohol. I decided to go for the smoothie which was rather tasty and quite yoghurty (if that’s even a word). The actual food was served on a tray, with the fruit plate to start. I’m not a big fan of cut fruit but to save face I decided that I had to at least nibble on a little bit of it, which I did. Next up I decided to go for the chicken. The mains were cooked and then placed on the top of the trolley for you to inspect with the crew giving a little run down of each one. I do like this idea in principle but I feel that it does cheapen the overall service experience. After all, it's generally only low end restaurants that let you see the food before you buy it!

Last edited by matthandy; Jun 15, 12 at 6:48 am.. Reason: Spelling corrections
Old Jun 15, 12, 6:23 am   #3

Fruit plate and a rather odd looking but tasty croissant

Here come the mains

Chicken and mushroom crepe gratin

The main Business class cabin, from the back

The main was actually quite tasty, despite it looking a little bit like an up-scaled economy meal (which all CX mains seem to). After everything was tidied away I finished off watching the film ‘Hugo’ on the IFE. The system was very good, with lots of choices and easy to use menus. The supplied headphones were also good, having a quality feel and effective noise cancelling. The film itself was surprising, Martin Scorcsese making kids films?

We were instructed to close our window blinds so that people could sleep and with that, the crew basically disappeared.

I spent the next hour or so watching the IFE before realising that something had been missing up to this point, Champagne! On most flights where it is available I’ve got to have some. I went to the galley (I hate using my call button) and asked for a glass. The crew member asked me to go and sit down and she would bring it over for me. She did, with nuts too. Mmm, that’s better!

Somewhere over the outback?

Hugo with my feet up

Champers at last

Seat controls

After Hugo I decided to doze a little bit and discovered that the seat controls were pretty easy to use as well as being sophisticated enough to move the seat into multiple custom positions to get comfortable. I opened up the duvet to find it was very thick and luxurious indeed, very nice. We hit some turbulence at about 10am Hong Kong time and the seat belt sign was turned on, so actually getting some sleep wasn’t going to happen. However, it was nice to be able to close my eyes for a short while, after such an early start in the morning. Sleeping would have been easy though, with lots of shoulder room and enough leg and knee room to sleep on my side in a slightly curled up position, which I like to do. The only thing that I didn’t like was the covering on the ottoman, it really felt weird compared to the seat itself. A word of warning though, don’t leave anything on the floor if you recline the seat fully, because it will be crushed!

Comfy duvet

At about 11.30am Hong Kong time (3.5 hours to landing) the crew went through the cabin with hot towels, in preparation for the lunch service. It was pretty clear that the crew were not particularly pro-active on this flight as my empty Champagne glass was still sitting on the side table some 2 hours since I’d finished it. Not great really.

At 12pm the lunch service began. This started with a drinks service, and hallelujah, alcohol was being offered, along with some warmed nuts. I decided to have another glass of Champagne and then leave it at that.

My table was laid with a table cloth and then a few minutes later the crew came along to serve the tray with the starter, salad, cutlery and condiments. The starter was a medley of fish and it was absolutely fantastic. I was a bit concerned that with the lunch meal coming second, the plated food might have dried out a bit after 5 hours in the air. Not the case at all. I particularly like the seared tuna, it was like eating silk! If that dish was served to me in a restaurant I’d be very happy indeed.

Next up weere the main courses, with a good selection on offer. I’d hoped that these would be properly plated up, but unfortunately we were still on the china economy dishes. The food did generally look good though and I decided to try the vegetarian dish, the Paneer. Not exactly the most fancy looking of dishes but it was excellent.

Starter – fish medley

Main - Paneer

Cheese please

The main and the tray were cleared away, making room for the dessert or cheese course. Again, these were presented on a trolley. I asked for the cheese which was cut at my seat and dressed with fruit and biscuits. I could have probably asked for the dessert too but I didn’t fancy it. Once done the plate was cleared and the crew offered ice cream, which I gladly accepted. One other crew member also went around to take tea and coffee orders, so I ordered a green tea. This was served promptly, in a nice china tea pot along with an offer of chocolates which I declined.

Overall the lunch service was pretty substantial and of very good quality. I certainly had no complaints on that front, I just wish that the mains would be properly plated and that the service was completed by hand like so many other carriers do in Business class.

Lunch finished at about 1:30pm, leaving about one hour and 30 minutes until landing. I decided to try and grab another little snooze before we began descending into Hong Kong.

At around 2:30pm the Captain announced that we had already started our descent and were expecting to land at 3pm. I started to pack everything away, completed the Hong Kong immigration card and then watched as we made our way into a rather grey and raining Hong Kong.

What a mess

All tidy – ready for landing

We had a rather bumpy descent but the landing itself was pretty standard. We happened to arrive just as a BA 747 was being towed away from the gate, presumably to go and park up somewhere before an evening flight. The weather really didn’t look up to much and I really hoped that it would improve tomorrow so that I could enjoy some time by the pool at the Four Seasons.

Hong Kong is there somewhere

Landing

Another A330 lands after us

We taxied to gate 71 (all of the Australian flights seem to leave from the high 60’s/low 70’s numbered gates) and shortly after the air bridges were attached, both to doors 1L and 2L. As I made my way to exit through door 1 I noticed that the cockpit door was open so cheekily asked the cabin crew member standing in front of it would be possible to take a photo, again waving my camera as if to legitimise my request. She said that she would need to ask, which she did, and then I was invited to join the crew in the cockpit. The Captain was sitting there completing some paperwork whilst the other two crew members were having a chat. I apologised to two of the crew as earlier during the flight I’d ended up bumping into them either making their way to or from the toilet at the front of the cabin, so I made a little joke about it. The Captain suggested that I take his seat, and he sat in the jump seat. I spent a couple of minutes chatting away before politely thanking them and leaving. It was great being able to visit the cockpit. It looks very similar to an A380 cockpit but a lot, lot smaller. I can’t imagine sitting there for 9 hours straight.

With one last look at the cabin I made my way out into the airport terminal.

Last edited by matthandy; Jun 15, 12 at 6:57 am.. Reason: Spelling corrections - yes I must get better a proof reading!
Old Jun 15, 12, 6:25 am   #4

The cockpit on the A330

Cockpit overview

A last look at the cabin

B-LAL, on stand

I started to make my way towards immigration, which is a rather long trek from gate 71. I turned on my phone to try and make arranagments to meet an ex-colleauge of mine who by coincidence arrived from the UK on Qatar, landing just 5 minutes before me. I think I had posted something on Facebook the day before about heading to Hong Kong and got a “me too!” response from him, so we agreed to meet up and share a taxi to the island.

Immigration at Hong Kong is split two ways, with it not really being clear if there is any difference or any advantage to either side. Once you’ve been through you realise that one set of immigration desks is south of the baggage hall and the other north. If the crew had been able to tell passengers which baggage belt was in use then it might have helped, but they didn’t, so I randomly decided to go right. The queues for immigration were rather long and it took a 30 minutes or so to make it through. My colleague was 10 or so minutes ahead of me so had to wait in arrivals whilst I collected my bag and went through customs.

We grabbed one of the local taxis and then took the 40 minute or so journey towards Central. My drop off at the Four Seasons was first so he remained in the taxi and we agreed to meet for lunch the following day.

Verdict

The new Cathay Pacific Business class product is definitely a winner. It ticks all of the boxes and I can see how many people compare it to a First class seat. It’s wide, comfortable, fully flat and offers both lots of privacy and lots of storage space. Is it the best Business class seat in the sky? Maybe so.

On the soft product side of things, well all of the amenties such as the wash kit, blanket, pillow, headphones were very good and high quality. The food was also excellent, although I do wish that it was served by hand. However, the crew on this particular flight were not very engaging or warm. They appeared to do the minimum of service and nothing more, which was a bit of a shame as I’ve had some really fantastic crews on Cathay before.

Overall though, this was a very good flight indeed.

Up Next

A stay at the Four Seasons Hotel including a visit to Tsim Sha Tsui at night and some wanderings around Central.

After that, oh, lots more……

Old Jun 15, 12, 7:38 am   #5

Programs: MUCCI and many lesser distinctions courtesy of airlines
Wonderful photos and superb report. Can I ask what camera and lense(s) you used? A DSLR presumably?

I just snapped a very hasty TR on an iPhone on a recent trip and it's obviously impossible to get any depth of field on that without resorting to effects. I have Canon 5D MkII and a bunch of lenses but it is so conspicuous that I somehow wouldn't dream of using it in an airport or on an aircraft.
HighLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 8:13 am   #6

Programs: Points progam member...
excellent start. i have noticed in a few TR's that people have not moved the seat forward so you can rest your feet on the foot rest. it took my wife to point it out to me the first time...but works very well.

i could not get into Hugo...

food looks very nice. i found the moonvine to be a very nice red wine. in fact, i was actually surprised it was so good on my recent flights.
mkjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 9:26 am   #7

Programs: AA PLT, UA Silver, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold
Thanks Matt. I can't wait for rest.

I'm still a bit apprehensive about using even a point and shoot camera on board or at the airport, so I've been using my iPhone 4 for many of my photos. Kudos to you and the TR writers who who are brave enough to roll out the big cameras.
dat4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 9:46 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison1186 View Post
Thanks Matt. I can't wait for rest.

I'm still a bit apprehensive about using even a point and shoot camera on board or at the airport, so I've been using my iPhone 4 for many of my photos. Kudos to you and the TR writers who who are brave enough to roll out the big cameras.
any crew on CX who has spent any time in HKG will see people with DSLR's taking pictures of the placement of forks in restaurants in HKG... of the airlines that would expect nothing less, CX is one of them. no joke, at one place, all 3 people at the table had d7000s taking pictures of the same stuff...at a crappy little noodle place in causeway bay...go figure.
Old Jun 15, 12, 10:34 am   #9

Programs: BAEC
Brilliant start Matthandy, looking forward to following this.

Now I wonder, is there a CX TR of the year competition?
noniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 10:37 am   #10

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Great report. The reverse herringbone concept seems to be collecting good reviews everywhere. How did you get the menus to be so crisp and clear? I am not sure if you took a picture of the menu or took it home and scanned it.
Old Jun 15, 12, 10:43 am   #11

Programs: US Silver, DL SkyMiles Member, UA Mileage Plus Member
what a fantastic trip report. This is the second report I've read of yours, and I must say, the quality of your photos is superb. I really appreciate the detail and effort. You are, by far, one of my favorite trip reporters.
FSUSeminole007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 11:05 am   #12

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club Platinum Ambassador, Mucci de buveur de gin
Oh great Matt! I've been waiting for another one of your reports!

Your photos are simply fantastic. They are the best I have ever seen on these forums - kudos to you!
stu1985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 11:56 am   #13

Great pictures and report! I especially like the photo “Hong Kong is there somewhere” where you can actually see the old HK Kai Tak Airport hiding behind the clouds. It is the big flat area on the upper middle-right of the picture surrounded by tall buildings. You can even see a bit of the old runway near the middle of the picture (another bit of flat land with water all around it). Hong Kong Island is on the left and Kowloon is on the right with the Victoria Harbour in between. You just can't miss such a large unbuilt area in the middle of the city, as you know there is not much of empty land in HK!

Looking forward to your next report!
tmjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 12, 12:23 pm   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmjimmy View Post
Great pictures and report! I especially like the photo “Hong Kong is there somewhere” where you can actually see the old HK Kai Tak Airport hiding behind the clouds. It is the big flat area on the upper middle-right of the picture surrounded by tall buildings. You can even see a bit of the old runway near the middle of the picture (another bit of flat land with water all around it). Hong Kong Island is on the left and Kowloon is on the right with the Victoria Harbour in between. You just can't miss such a large unbuilt area in the middle of the city, as you know there is not much of empty land in HK!

Looking forward to your next report!
i guess that is man wan village on the other side of the narrow streight with just the end of the old runway showing outside the cloud...
Old Jun 15, 12, 12:29 pm   #15

Programs: AA EXP
Superb pictures! Love that pic of the QF 380 tail with the sydney skyline in the background. I can't wait to try the new CX business in a few months. Thank you!
exc3ll is offline   Reply With Quote