Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

YOU travel? How the one-in-a-million girl rolls…

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK * A Gold, Qatar Gold
Great trip report and great view into your world.

I have a little experience in this area as I have an artifical leg and fly alot. Over the last few years I have flown more than 500k including monthly long haul trips to Aisa and have met a wide range of security staff! My worst experience was in Delhi where they thought it would be a good idea for me to remove my leg and put it through the xray machine, I said no and was then subjected to some very indepth questioning and the comments that all artifical legs in India were made of wood so why was mine beeping. In the US especially ATL I am often asked to stand on my good leg with my bad leg in the air so they can use a special xray - not so bad you may think but I have also had a knee replacement on my "good" leg rendering it less good. I now have absolutely no embarrassment about rolling up my trouser leg to show them the offending article - usually it saves a massive trek to the private exam room so its worth it. My main anxiety is that as I am often travelling alone the extended searches mean my bag, laptop etc is often left abandoned on the belt and they never want you to collect it. I have fears of it all being gone by the time they release me.

I very rarely preboard despite usually being exhausted by the time I reach the gate - all those glaring looks and comments about pushing in have put me off.

Anyway I look forward to reading some more and I am sure it will help me bite my tounge on my next trip!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
First, thanks for such a great thread! I'm having so much fun reading it.

Originally Posted by jenpdx
So here we are, at SFO, boarding passes in hand, dealing with another slow TSA day and an angry Jet Blue passenger who asks the ID checker (pointing at me), “how come she gets to cut in front?” and then proceeds to speculate with a fellow traveler what might have happened to me to render me “crippled.” Lol! Able-bodied people say the dumbest stuff! You learn to shrug it off...
Wow, you're a lot nicer than I am (or at least may have learned to shrug it off better. I may have smiled sweetly at the jerk and said, "I have transverse myelitis. It started with a bit of a stomach ache so, anytime you're a little sick, don't just shrug it off." That guy would be biting his nails every time his tummy tickled.

Oh, as for the bathroom, I completely understand where you are coming from with the stalls. I will submit, however, that, for a single parent traveling with two kids, there is simply no other option if there is no family bathroom. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be annoyed, but airports simply do a crappy job with facilities. I'll also say, however, that I'd never even thought of this problem until you brought it up.

Mike
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:37 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Jen

What an amazing report. I just love your writing style and your perspective. I hope they feature this in the next edition of TalkMail...keep it up. Can't wait for the rest.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:40 am

Great trip report from a different perspective!

Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:50 am

Cool

Incredibly fascinating so far. I'm glad you still travel. Of course it's poor etiquette to ask a person "what happened to you", but I have to be honest and say I'd be thinking that too if I saw you traveling. Maybe because you're only in your 20s? I think many people have an innocuous curiosity, and then there are some who are just plain jackasses... like the guy who asked "how come she gets to cut in line?" or whatever. I would have said something to him if I was standing in line... your boyfriend also sounds like a great dude. Can't wait to read more.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all the kind comments! The next installment should be out in a few days. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures.

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Do you ever challenge those who blatantly have no entitlement to disabled parking / facilities? Or is it not worth it due to the possible abuse you may receive back?
Keep in mind I live in the US, where any interaction with a fellow motorist can get you shot. Now, admittedly reports of handicap parking rage are rare, but still, it's unwise to confront people about parking abuse. It's futile because very few of them have any sense that they're doing anything wrong. Their doctor gave them the placard, and that's it. The other problem is that you never really know the person's situation (unless you see them sprinting through the mall); I actually get a lot of angry looks from seniors when I park in handicap spots, and I have twice been confronted by self-appointed enforcers of handicap parking. I drive a sporty car (not a fancy one, though )and if you saw me in it you'd have no idea that I'm in a wheelchair (I drive using hand controls, in case anyone wonders). As with most things in life, it's easier to shrug it off and not let it ruin your day.

Originally Posted by Shuttle_Endeavour
Which countries / places would you rate best and worse for accommodating your needs?
That's a big question, and I was planning on addressing it later on. I am very lucky that this happened to me in a "first world" country; very likely, I would not have survived if I lived in (most of) India or sub-Saharan Africa. The same is true with respect to which places are best to live. In most developing countries, someone with a severe mobility impairment is condemned to staying at home. I spent two months volunteering with a nursing home in Nicaragua when I was able-bodied, and the conditions are just heartbreaking. I'm really grateful to live in the US.

When it comes to "first world" places, I've found that most Europeans (at least those who come from countries with a big welfare state) often can't fathom that "someone like me" could live anywhere else. Most often, I have heard this from Germans. The state would house me, pay a pension, assign a caregiver, and Germans think highly of their efforts to make public buildings "barrier free." But in reality, there's no way I'd want to live there. What I wanted from the very first moment in the hospital was to regain some independence. Get out of the bed and use a wheelchair. Strap on leg braces and stand upright. Leave the house alone. Start driving. Get a job. Those are the little triumphs that make life worth living. And that's not just me, I hear this from a lot of my disabled friends. Be independent, be in charge of your life, make a difference ... isn't that what everybody, whether able-bodied or disabled wants?

I'm not one of those jingoistic "greatest country in the world" Americans, but thanks to the ADA legislation, the US is the best place for someone with a mobility disability, because it allows you to be independent. Every building is required by law to have ramps, power assist doors, counters that accommodate wheelchair users, etc. Curb cuts and handicap parking are prevalent. I can go practically anywhere I want, without help. Compare that to Germany, where you have to be lucky to find a Gasthaus that has a no-step entrance. Seriously, when we were in Bavaria last year, finding a place to eat required major planning, and most places in the countryside were simply off limits. But it's more than just access to buildings. I already spoke of the requirement for every restroom in the US to be accessible. This is a huge challenge in some countries. For instance, last summer we were driving around Lake Starnberg (just south of Munich), and it was impossible to find a restroom I could use. We finally resorted to driving 20 miles to an Autobahn rest stop. There's no good reason why things aren't accessible, but they don't have to be because there are few individual disabled travelers. If the welfare state wanted me to go out, it would send me on a guided trip with attendants, who carefully schedule restroom breaks. Cities like Munich or Salzburg (Austria) publish guides listing restroom locations and accessible restaurants, and a lot of effort goes into at least making transit and public buildings accessible, but honestly, why would I want to live in a place where I'm unable to access 80% of places?

On the other hand, the answer will also depend on a person's needs. I am grateful that I'm a paraplegic and not a quadriplegic. Nor do I have a brain injury. Others with TM aren't that lucky, and one of my friends is a quad who can't move anything. It's the saddest thing, she controls her wheelchair with her chin and writes with software that transcribes what she says. She lives in a state in the Southern US that doesn't like government or taxes and receives $780 per month in Social Security, and 28 hours of paid care per week. That's it. Right now, she lives with her mom, but she has no idea what will happen when her family members can't care for her any longer. For her, the US is probably the worst "first world" country, and Germany would be heaven.

Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Please. I consider myself a smooth operator with enough points to shack up for the night in a 5 star property using my secondary Irish passport to avoid disclosing my true US identity and being roped into any wedding bells. However, given my propensity for overindulgence in airport lounges, it's more likely that a tragic case of beer goggles would lead to an attempt to carry a women far larger than my knees could support. Hopefully I can get a placard and a decent Quickie until my knees are put back together again.
With such a compelling story, you'll definitely be able to convince a healthcare provider to sign your application for a placard, but the beauty of the system is that you don't have to. Sign it yourself. Nobody checks. As for your Quickie needs, consider leveraging your Social Security contacts to obtain one of those "Medicare will pay, guaranteed or it's free" rolling La-z-Boy contraptions advertized on TV. They are total chick magnets!

Originally Posted by nolan222
Great TR so far. Thank you so much for posting this. I have been curious for a while now as my soon to be sister in law is a paraplegic and we intend to take her with us in our travels. This gives a great introduction in what to possibly anticipate.
I think it's important to be realistic about what she can and can't do. I can go pretty much anywhere with assistance. The question is, how much assistance do I want? How much of a burden do I want to be? If you check Youtube, you can find documentaries about paras going to Mt Kilimanjaro or to the jungles of Brazil. The question is, why? Essentially you're pushed/pulled/carried around, and it's an exhausting experience for everyone. I would recommend thinking about easy trips in the beginning, Hawaii, Florida, or even a cruise. The worst thing you can do is to bite off more than you can chew, and your SIL feels like a burden, you get into arguments with your spouse, and your vacation is ruined.

Originally Posted by QF WP
Looking forward to the ongoing TR. If you make it to Australia (should I say when), I can see an FT meet to organise!
Fun! Australia is on our "to do" list. 2013!

Originally Posted by barobson
My main anxiety is that as I am often travelling alone the extended searches mean my bag, laptop etc is often left abandoned on the belt and they never want you to collect it. I have fears of it all being gone by the time they release me.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out! It's a huge problem when traveling alone. My stuff sits on the conveyor belt and dozens of people walk by while I'm being swabbed and pestered "to keep us safe." I understand from the TSA forum that able-bodied travelers have the same problem when they are detained for extra screening, so I don't think this is unique for disabled travelers (although possibly made worse by the fact that I can't see my belongings). Fortunately I rarely travel alone, but I feel your pain!

Originally Posted by mikeef
Oh, as for the bathroom, I completely understand where you are coming from with the stalls. I will submit, however, that, for a single parent traveling with two kids, there is simply no other option if there is no family bathroom. I'm not saying you don't have the right to be annoyed, but airports simply do a crappy job with facilities. I'll also say, however, that I'd never even thought of this problem until you brought it up.
You have a valid point, and I'm not annoyed by this at all. At smaller airports, where a bathroom only has 2 or 3 stalls, the handicap stall is clearly up for grabs for anyone, and I would never expect an able-bodied traveler to wait for a regular stall to open up while the handicap stall is available (btw, there's a very funny Curb Your Enthusiasm episode about this). And considering how few wheelchair users are out and about, it's entirely ok for able-bodied travelers with children to use the handicap stall even at larger airports. It is puzzling why airports cater so poorly to the needs of travelers with children (or a lot of luggage); sure, Chicago and Atlanta are hopeless, but why does a newer airport like PDX with plenty of space have bathrooms with 20 extra-narrow stalls instead of 12 useful ones?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Definitely looking forward to the next installment.

I guess I've always looked at the handicapped restrooms like this: if it is the only one available, I can use it. Otherwise, it ain't for me and I'm grateful I have a choice.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This is a fantastically unique TR and, like others, I'm waiting to read the rest.

The comments about restrooms reminds me of a hilarious storyline (link to YouTube) in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Last edited by amolkold; Jun 19, 2012 at 8:01 pm
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond

Absolutely great TR Jenpdx, terrific writing and a real eye-opener for me. I've taken 9 flights on AA in the last few days and had a little chuckle watching several pre-boards sprint past the wheelchairs on arrival. There is a lady in the Flagship lounge in LAX right now, arrived in a wheelchair with AA assistance, currently walking around the self-service bar and buffet. No doubt will be needing that chair for pre-boarding later

Best wishes to you for your future travels and looking forward to the next installment
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Wow - I love your writing style, and it gives a whole new perspective on travel I'd never considered. Can't wait for more! ^
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Great TR - insightful, interesting, and great writing. Looking forward to the rest!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat, US Air Silver, JPM Palladium
Jenpdx, you are truly an amazing writer! Your title caught my attention and when I saw all those words and no pictures I almost navigated away, but first I had to find out the meaning behind your title. I am now captivated. Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights. I second the comment about being published. Can't wait to read more ^
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
I'm not much of a TR reader, but this is an amazing read. Thanks, Jenpdx. And I'm looking forward to the next installments.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Excellent TR so far Jen.

BTW, I sent you a PM on how to post pics in the forum.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:38 pm

Location: Brisbane (BNE), Australia, QF/VA Forums Meeting Organiser
Programs: VA Plat, QF Gold (97.4% LTG), QP Life, AA (66% LTG). HH Diamond. Amex Plat, Visa Plat
Originally Posted by jenpdx
Thank you for all the kind comments! The next installment should be out in a few days. I'm trying to figure out how to post pictures.
You and me both - I have a monster TR to post and I can't find anything to tell me what I need to know.

Fun! Australia is on our "to do" list. 2013!
We've both committed ourselves now . Unless I get to PDX before you get here - I'm looking to come to SEA and GEG later this year...so close .

Originally Posted by fieldeng
Excellent TR so far Jen.

BTW, I sent you a PM on how to post pics in the forum.
Any chance you can help out this IT-phobic FT'er as well fieldeng?? Need to be able to either post the photos direct from my iPhone through the FT App to my posts, or save them to a "Photo Gallery" that I have set up correctly...I think

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.