The Best Time a Son Can Have With His Father: Amtrak's Crescent to New Orleans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Time a Son Can Have With His Father: Amtrak's Crescent to New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
It's funny you mention Via Rail Canada, my Dad and I are considering doing Toronto-Vancouver at one point. I believe it's over 3 days. He's hesitant because there aren't en suite showers. I'm telling him to go ahead and pretend like we're back in college.
I've only done Via Rail to Jasper from YVR and YYZ-YOW/YUL.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
This was a lot of fun to read! I've never taken a train trip like this, but you've inspired me to plan one. And, since I'm an airport geek, it's always a pleasure to see pictures of RDU, one of my favorite US airports.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by trek87
This was a lot of fun to read! I've never taken a train trip like this, but you've inspired me to plan one. And, since I'm an airport geek, it's always a pleasure to see pictures of RDU, one of my favorite US airports.
I'm glad to hear it! Being by Washington you have several trains you could try, The Crescent like I did, or the Cardinal or Capitol Limited to Chicago, or up to New York and the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago from there. Or you could go south to Florida on the Silver Star or Meteor. Flyertalk's own Amtrak forum is very helpful for questions about trains and you can always PM me.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I enjoyed your report and your dad's phone comments. It sounds like traveling with my father. What is all included in the sleeper service? Were meals and booze?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It's funny you mention Via Rail Canada, my Dad and I are considering doing Toronto-Vancouver at one point.
I did that trip a few years ago, well worth it. No the shower is not ensuite, but I prefer it that way as there is a dedicated shower room that is more spacious. I really like the Budd cars Via uses on the Canadian, they have been well maintained and upgraded while keeping the flavour of a 50's streamliner train.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I enjoyed your report and your dad's phone comments. It sounds like traveling with my father. What is all included in the sleeper service? Were meals and booze?
Thank you! All meals are included and that means entree and dessert as well as coffee, tea, water, soda or juice, with the meal. Alcohol is not included so we brought our own hard liquor and purchased wine (not a bad price) with dinner.

Jagboi I appreciate your comments too, I need all the ammo I can get to convince my Dad it's worth doing!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Great report and a question..

Hi CMK10,

Excellent report. You have good sense of writing and your honesty
percolates in the reporting. Good job !

Just wondering if there are different sizes of sleeper cars ? Is
there one for family of four (parents and couple of kids ?) I am
assuming that the fares are comparable to airfares.. Do they
allow breaking journeys ? So if I wanted to see Atlanta, I could
stop and take the same train couple days later ??

Just curious...F.A.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Great trip report. Not sure I could handle a trip with my father. Also, enjoyed your funny writing and your lack of shame at taking 300 photos a day. I wish I had your courage. Keep them coming sir.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyalways
Hi CMK10,

Excellent report. You have good sense of writing and your honesty
percolates in the reporting. Good job !

Just wondering if there are different sizes of sleeper cars ? Is
there one for family of four (parents and couple of kids ?) I am
assuming that the fares are comparable to airfares.. Do they
allow breaking journeys ? So if I wanted to see Atlanta, I could
stop and take the same train couple days later ??

Just curious...F.A.
Hey Flyalways. I don't know the answer to your question about breaking journeys as I never though to do that, but I'm sure someone in our wonderful Amtrak forum would. There are specially designed Family Bedroom sleepers which could handle your family, they're usually a little more expensive though.

Originally Posted by Dreamworks
Great trip report. Not sure I could handle a trip with my father. Also, enjoyed your funny writing and your lack of shame at taking 300 photos a day. I wish I had your courage. Keep them coming sir.
Ha, I bet you could handle a trip with your Dad, sometimes getting even the most difficult people into a fun environment shows you a whole new side to them. Thanks for the compliment on my writing and photos too, trust me, it took me a long time to get comfortable photographing as much as I do. Some people give you some really dirty looks for doing it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Hey Flyalways. I don't know the answer to your question about breaking journeys as I never though to do that, but I'm sure someone in our wonderful Amtrak forum would.
Amtrak will consider a stopover of less than 24 hours (i.e. 23:59 or less) as a continuous journey for fare purposes. You'll run into two hurdles, though: one, accommodation charges can't be carried through like this (so you'll pay two separate upfares for the bedroom), and two, the Crescent only operates once per day, so your connection ends up being exactly 24 hours (i.e. one minute more than the 23:59 or less requirement).

You can still break up your journey, but you'll end up paying more for it.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Great trip report ^ I'm looking to take a cross-country train trip (first time) later this year, so I appreciated the detailed description of the trip and the photos.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
A fine report and very nice photos that show what train travel is like. I hate airport security so try to go by Amtrak whenever possible, even when it costs twice as much. Your descriptions of dining on Amtrak are spot on. Just a note for those who don't drink Pepsi products, BYO on the train. I always take a lunchbox full of Diet Dr. Peppers on train rides.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Great trip report ^ I'm looking to take a cross-country train trip (first time) later this year, so I appreciated the detailed description of the trip and the photos.
Well, enjoy the train ride. Hope you have a great time. I never rode on Amtrak before. Maybe someday in the future. I will definitely that we will take on Amtrak.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been so busy recently that I have not had opportunities to read many of the fine TRs that have been posted here recently. I specifically marked this report for reading when it first came out.

I am glad I did! Nice job and heart warming read.

I did a similar trip a few years back with my folks and I must say it was the best trip I have had.

Thanks for sharing!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Excellent report I have a good friend who works Secuirty for AmTrack out of Newark, the best Prime Rib ever was on a trip I took with him from Newark to DC.

New Orleans is a place to go for a weekend of indulgence, lots of excellent food and drinks. I was lucky enough to go to NO after katrina to help taking care of the sick, after that I have a connection to that city that i cherrish. The people have a warmth about them and they love to talk about the city they love.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.