SFO-JFK in AA first (2 class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond

Part 1:

I recently had the opportunity to try AA's American Flagship Service on their transcon from San Francisco to New York. I traveled in first class on their 2 class flight 20 departing San Francisco at 3:00 PM and arriving into JFK at 11:35PM.

Arrival: I arrived at the airport about 2 hours before departure time. The security line went quickly as I was able to use the Priority AAccess lane. Once arriving at the gate I got a great view of an United Airlines 747-400. I apologize about the quality of the photo, all of the windows had a screen on them that obstructed the picture some.

IMG_0729 by zgscl, on Flickr

Although I was traveling in the Z inventory I did not have lounge access as this is a 2 class flight operated on a 767-300 aircraft.

Soon enough it was time for boarding. The gate agent called first class and I was among the first on the plane. Today's flight was fairly light (if you go to my Flickr account you can see screen shots at my Flickr account under Trip Report 3. I will not post those here).

IMG_0731 by zgscl, on Flickr

NGBC by zgscl, on Flickr

I find AA's NGBC (Next Generation Business Class) seat very comfortable. See my previous trip report for a review of the seat:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-aa-first.html

At the seat AA provided a premium duvet and pillow for the flight which is an upgrade from what they offer on other domestic flights.

IMG_0733 by zgscl, on Flickr

During boarding, Flight Attendant's came through the cabin to collect coats as well as offering champagne, orange juice or water:

IMG_0736 by zgscl, on Flickr

Just before take off flight attendants came through to collect the service items. Every time I take off in a double isle aircraft I find myself wondering if we will actually make it off the ground, but we were successful (obviously), and shortly after the FAs began their in flight service.

Flight Attendants went down the isle offering the new Samsung Galaxy Tablets along with bottled water from a galley cart (one in each isle).

IMG_0744 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0745 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0746 by zgscl, on Flickr

Flight Attendants distributed menus, hot towels and offered beverages. As on my previous 763 flight, one flight attendant went down each isle and there was one attendant in the galley preparing the meals. As this was an even flight, FAs took meal orders from the front to back.

IMG_0737 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0738 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0739 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0740 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0741 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0742 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0743 by zgscl, on Flickr
Old May 11, 2012, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Thanks for the report. I love how a glass of water prior to arrival is a service item worthy of menu space.
Old May 11, 2012, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Part 2

FAs offered AA's signature warm, mixed nut blend which I am personally a fan of along with the beverage we ordered earlier.

IMG_0747 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0748 by zgscl, on Flickr

FAs offered refills on beverages and the mixed nuts. After going through he cabin, they came down the isle with the appetizer and salad. Along with this cam the choice of wines.

IMG_0753 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0754 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0755 by zgscl, on Flickr

The appetizer was the Cajun-Style roasted chicken breast on a corn salad which was a cold appetizer. I enjoyed it, it was not too spicy and was served cold. The salad came at the same time and I choose the pepper cream dressing which was also good except for the artichoke (clearly not fresh. They would have done better to leave it off). There was also a selection of breads, I believe it was sourdough or whole wheat. There may have been another selection as well.

When we were finished FAs collected the salad and appetizer plate and returned with our main course. I choose the Beef Filet which was superb. The meat was tender, the potatoes fluffy and the best part was the Gorgonzola mushroom sauce. The green beans were good too. As the flight attendant said, no one would go hungry on this flight (at least if you were seated in first class).

IMG_0757 by zgscl, on Flickr

After clearing all of the trays from the cabin, the FAs came through with the dessert cart.

IMG_0758 by zgscl, on Flickr
There were two flight attendants pushing each cart (one or two FAs came up from coach to help with this part of the service). One FA interacted with passengers and poured coffee or tea while the other FA prepared the Sundae or fruit and cheese plate to order. I did not witness the fruit and cheese plate being made, but the Sundae was customized to your preference. As I cannot stand whipped cream this was the best part of the whole service.
My sundae with butterscotch and a hot tea:

IMG_0759 by zgscl, on Flickr

My second complaint (also minor) is that AA does not offer decaffeinated tea. Note to self: bring my own tea bag next time.

My traveling companion's sundae with all of the fixings.

IMG_0760 by zgscl, on Flickr

After the meal my attention shifted to entertainment. I am now a big fan of their Samsung Galaxy Tablet. It has tons of programing, so virtually anyone can find something that will be entertaining to them. This includes classic movies, new releases and TV shows. I only wish the flight was longer so I could watch two full films.

IMG_0761 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0762 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0763 by zgscl, on Flickr
Old May 11, 2012, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Part 3

About an hour and a half before landing the FAs offered cookies, chocolate chip or cranberry oatmeal (I think)

IMG_0764 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0765 by zgscl, on Flickr

More views of AA's NGBC seat:

IMG_0766 by zgscl, on Flickr

IMG_0767 by zgscl, on Flickr

About 45 minutes before landing FAs offered sparkling water with citrus and collected the personal entertainment devices (I forgot to mention earlier that the Bose noise canceling headphones are another great addition). They were very polite about collecting them and let you finish your movie if it was close enough to the end.

IMG_0768 by zgscl, on Flickr

Shortly after we landed in JFK and taxied to the gate. The GA was late getting to the gate so we all stood waiting for the jet bridge to come to the plane for about 10 minutes. It gave a new meaning to the term "so close but yet so far."

All in all this was a great job by AA and well worth the 25,000 miles I paid for the ticket. I highly recommend any flight with the NGBC seat (if I had a private jet, these seats would be included on it). I have not yet traveled on AA's 3 class transcon but I will in a couple of months so I will be able to contrast it with the 2 class.

Thanks for reading, please let me know if you have any questions or if I need to clarify something.
Old May 11, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Thanks for the report. I love how a glass of water prior to arrival is a service item worthy of menu space.
Well you can get it sparkling and it comes with a twist of citrus.
This is big time!

Good report. I usually dislike AA but flew them SFO-DFW in first on a 763 in that same seat and it was a great flight. Great service as well.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Thanks much. Enjoyed your report. Interesting to see AA's Transcon Flagship service on the 763. Never have flown transcon F with AA, but do the 763 long haul DFW/ORD to HI in F, 2-3 times a year and fun to see how they reduce costs on that route with the altered FC Hawaii Flagship Service offerings:

Big pillow/duvet - same
PDB - Champagne/oj/water - same
Samsung tablets - NO
Bottled water - same
Menus/hot towels - same, except HFS menus are smaller - 2 side/front/back
Liqour/wine choices - same
Cocktail service/warm nuts - same (they add tropical dried fruit to nut mix)
Appetizer - NO
Two entree choices - protein or pasta (Hawaiian themed, rotate in salmon)
Entree portion size - SMALLER
Big salad service/bread basket - same
Dine Upon Request - NO -Not offered/printed on menu, but I have seen people ask the FA/Purser to delay their lunch/dinner and they are accomodated. And they serve your salad and entree separately.
Custom Sundae/fruit cheese/cordials/coffee service - same (but, Fruit/cheese plate is small/skimpy and not premium cheese selections by any means) Usually have a tropical themed sundae topping - like Mango as a choice.
Pre-arrival snack - another skimpy fruit/cheese plate offered or on the redeye back - continental breakfast of juice, scone, tropical fruit.

Transcon Flagship is definitely a step up from HFS. Thanks again for sharing.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
Well you can get it sparkling and it comes with a twist of citrus.
This is big time!

Good report. I usually dislike AA but flew them SFO-DFW in first on a 763 in that same seat and it was a great flight. Great service as well.
The sparkling water with citrus is quite exciting! Apart from the sundae, main course, cookie and appetizer it is the best part of the meal.

I have had great luck with AA (after a streak of not so great luck with UA, although I recently had a positive experience with UA and if AA merges with US I might consider going back...but that is a different conversation for a different forum). Their flight crews have been consistently pleasant and their in flight service to be in the range of meets to exceeds expectations. Who do you normally fly?
Old May 13, 2012, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davesam12
Thanks much. Enjoyed your report. Interesting to see AA's Transcon Flagship service on the 763. Never have flown transcon F with AA, but do the 763 long haul DFW/ORD to HI in F, 2-3 times a year and fun to see how they reduce costs on that route with the altered FC Hawaii Flagship Service offerings:

Big pillow/duvet - same
PDB - Champagne/oj/water - same
Samsung tablets - NO
Bottled water - same
Menus/hot towels - same, except HFS menus are smaller - 2 side/front/back
Liqour/wine choices - same
Cocktail service/warm nuts - same (they add tropical dried fruit to nut mix)
Appetizer - NO
Two entree choices - protein or pasta (Hawaiian themed, rotate in salmon)
Entree portion size - SMALLER
Big salad service/bread basket - same
Dine Upon Request - NO -Not offered/printed on menu, but I have seen people ask the FA/Purser to delay their lunch/dinner and they are accomodated. And they serve your salad and entree separately.
Custom Sundae/fruit cheese/cordials/coffee service - same (but, Fruit/cheese plate is small/skimpy and not premium cheese selections by any means) Usually have a tropical themed sundae topping - like Mango as a choice.
Pre-arrival snack - another skimpy fruit/cheese plate offered or on the redeye back - continental breakfast of juice, scone, tropical fruit.

Transcon Flagship is definitely a step up from HFS. Thanks again for sharing.
Thanks for the comparison, You would think that a flight that is 2-3 hours longer would have the superior service. I would love to see a trip report some time if you have the chance. Thanks for your comments!
Old May 14, 2012, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Great pictures however, FLight AA 20 May 11th, SFO-JFK was operated a 767-200 and it is a 3 class aircraft, F, J and Y. All transcon LAX/SFO-JFK are on a 767 unless MX issue.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Great pictures however, FLight AA 20 May 11th, SFO-JFK was operated a 767-200 and it is a 3 class aircraft, F, J and Y. All transcon LAX/SFO-JFK are on a 767 unless MX issue.
OP posted TR on May 11, so likely flew before May 11.

Also, while the majority of AA LAX/SFO-JFK transcons are on 3-cabin 767-200s, there is usually 1 SFO-JFK flight on a 2-cabin 767-300 per day.
Old May 14, 2012, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The pictures show Flagship service, so unless AA has a secert 767-300 with 2 class service and F happens to be flagship, I would like to see that. Since OP gave flight #, i can't see how someone could se the whole flight wrong, wrong day, aircraft type, class of service, but it is possible. But as i posted Flight #20 on May 11th was a 767-200, it was a 767-300 on or about May 5th.

Originally Posted by amolkold
OP posted TR on May 11, so likely flew before May 11.

Also, while the majority of AA LAX/SFO-JFK transcons are on 3-cabin 767-200s, there is usually 1 SFO-JFK flight on a 2-cabin 767-300 per day.
Old May 15, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

It was on the 5th and it was operated on a 767-300. AA has one SFO/JFK 763 flight which I believe is daily but could be less frequent. I have heard of some IRROPS SFO/JFK transcons on 757s with the NGBC, I can imagine there are quite a few first class passengers who are not too happy about that involuntary downgrade.

The pictures show Flagship service, so unless AA has a secert 767-300 with 2 class service and F happens to be flagship, I would like to see that. Since OP gave flight #, i can't see how someone could se the whole flight wrong, wrong day, aircraft type, class of service, but it is possible. But as i posted Flight #20 on May 11th was a 767-200, it was a 767-300 on or about May 5th.
The service was much closer to their 3 class flagship business service (not sure if that is considered flagship still), than the F service but is called first as it is a 2 class aircraft operated domestically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.