Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Part VI ICN-HKG 04/30

Part VI ICN-HKG 04/30

Old May 5, 2012, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Part VI ICN-HKG 04/30

So finally arrived in Seoul albeit 12 1/2 hrs late, cleared immigration and customs in 15 mins. Unfortunately, besides visting my friends the main purpose of this trip was to take the DMZ/Panmanjeon tour, but since the tour was at 0830 this morning that plan went south. Grabbed a limousine bus to central Seoul which took over an hour from the airport. By the time I got to my destination took a shower and crashed for the night. The next day my friends and I went to Seoul Tower via the cable car, which is really nothing special except for the 360 panorama of the city. Seoul is a clean and pretty city surrounded by mountains. The subway is very efficient however it is deep underground as it doubles as air raid shelters and there are hardly any escalators or elevators.
After the visit to the tower walked down the hill and off to Namdaemun market for shopping. Afterwards headed to TGIF for a late lunch. Went back to the apartment and later indulged in a foot/body massage at the spa in the Ramada.
The next morning took a cab to Seoul Station to use the AREX train to ICN. Very efficient way to get to and from the airport. At Seoul Station if one is utilizing KE, OZ or 7C you can check in baggage and clear immigration at the station. The train departs from basement 7 level every 1/2 hr and runs nonstop for approx $13 US. Wi FI available and there is a train attendant on board. 45 min ride and was at ICN. Checkin at TG was quick, went through screening and immigration then had to take a shuttle train to Gate 122. Had an invite to the Asiana Lounge,but slim pickings that morning. Just cereal and bread/rolls and kimchi available.

TG 629 ICN-HKG J 777
Smoking lounge was by Gate 124 and then time to board. As in arrival there was two separate jetways in use. Used the J class jetway and was greeted by the Thai attendants in the traditional Thai greeting, bow and hands clasped together. Seats were 170 degree recline. Seat was comfortable but the foot rest was annoying, my feet overhanged the edge of the seat. Pre departure drinks were offered-anything you wanted. AVOD was available and there was a nosecam that showed takeoff and landing. Also real blankets and noise cancelling headphones were already placed on the seats.
Menus were handed out, choice of spicy prawns, chicken, a fish called John Dory and beef, all served with kimchi and salad. Of course, had the beef which was a little chewy but tasty. The garlic bread was excellent however. Flight was smooth and 3 1/2 hrs later landed in HKG. Had a clear view on the nosecam for landing. Its too bad that this level of service couldn't be available on US based airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.