Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern PVG-HKG Business Class (Using DL SkyMiles) - lots of photos

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:49 am
mpp
Original Poster

China Eastern PVG-HKG Business Class (Using DL SkyMiles) - lots of photos

I recently flew on a multiple stop transpacific award ticket using DL miles (miraculously found at low level of 120,000 SkyMiles).
All but one leg (PVG-HKG) was on DL metal. This is a trip report about my very pleasant China Eastern experience from Shanghai to Hong Kong.

Getting to the Airport
One option of getting to PVG is by train and part of that journey can be on the world's fastest train, a MagLev train that runs at either 187mph or a mind-boggling fast 268mph depending on the time of day. This morning it was running at the "slow" speed:

Boarding the MagLev...take care and be gentle

On board the MagLev

Reaching top speed

Overall the ride is smooth and quick. The downside is that the MagLev only leaves from Longyang Road Station in Pudong which is about a 20 minute Metro ride from downtown Shanghai. The MagLev journey itself is less than 10 minutes.

At the Airport and Check-In
It's about a 10-minute walk from the MagLev to the check-in for China Eastern in Terminal 1. China Eastern has several check-in areas and their is one specifically for business/first class/Skyteam Elite check-in for flights to Taiwan, Hong-Kong, or Macau.

Red-carpeted check-in area for First/Business/Skyteam Elite

Apparently both SkyTeam Elite (Delta Silver) and ElitePlus (Delta gold and above) have priority check-in counter privileges.

Check-in was fast and easy as there was no one else checking in. They gave me my boarding passes and a lounge access card and map for one of the several China Eastern Lounges at PVG. My luggage was tagged with business class tags.

At first I was a bit confused as my boarding pass showed my seat at 6L and I had thought this was a narrow-body A320 that couldn't possibly have a business class seat at 6L but I guess they number their seats differently.
6L turned out to be in the first row window seat. The row was configured ABJL.

Getting through immigration was easy. I was on a transit only visa exclusion as I stayed in Shanghai only about 36 hours so I did not have a Chinese Visa. Although this took a little bit of explaining at check-in in the U.S. when leaving for Shanghai and at at the immigration counter when entering Shanghai it was no problem leaving.

There is a priority security line for business class passengers that is well marked and completely separate (walled off partitions) from the general security lines. There was no other passengers here so this was fast and efficient. No nude-o-scope, shoes left on, laptop kept in case (but removed from the general luggage).

Lounge
I then wandered my way to the China Eastern business class lounge.

At first I went to the wrong one. There are several and apparently they are separated by flight. Unfortunately my photos of inside the lounge were accidentally deleted. The lounge had decent offerings but was a bit run down. There were also plenty of loud cellphone users. They had cold and hot breakfast items and a self-serve bar with beer, wine, and spirits. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout PVG airport but the speed is slow and connections drop often. There were a few outlets scattered about. There were some computer to use. No shower facilities. Bathroom was tidy but also a bit rundown. They announced flights in both Chinese and English.

I like to check out lounges when given the chance so I also stopped by the First Class Lounge (which seems to be used mostly by Star Alliance carriers) using my PriorityPass membership. This lounge was much cleaner and quieter. They had similar food and drink options.

Boarding
I returned to the China Eastern lounge to await boarding. My flight was at a remote gate stand. When they announced boarding they took the few business class passengers into their VIP bus to be taken to the airplane.

Certainly beats the crowded COBUS.

This is a nice touch and avoids having to leave the lounge to go the gate and wait. We passed several other China Eastern VIP that looked even nicer than our bus...perhaps for first class passengers. This PVG-HKG flight was on a 2-class configured A320 without a first class cabin.

We arrived at the airplane and the economy cabin had already boarded.

They had us wait in the VIP bus until the stairs were clear. Again a nice touch not to have to wait outside on the windy tarmac and airstairs.

In-Flight
The business class cabin had two rows.

Seats were wide and comfortable with good recline and plenty of legroom even in the bulkhead row. The headrests were winged and adjustable. Plane appeared quite new.

We were offered a pre-departure beverage choice of orange juice or water and given our amenity kit which consisted solely of slippers.

We were also given menus.

On board announcements were in English, Mandarin, and Cantonese. Although there was a movie screen on the bulkhead row there was no in-flight entertainment for the 2 hour 30 minute flight. Three seats in business class went out empty. Coach cabin was not completely full either.

Once at cruising altitude we were promptly served our meal. Appetizer of 2 small shrimp and enoki was delicious and appropriately chilled.

We were offered rolls or garlic bread. The garlic bread was warm and fresh and just perfect.

The chicken soup with bamboo shoots was served piping hot and had fantastic flavor without being too salty or overbearing. There were large pieces of tasty chicken in it.

For the entree I chose the chicken with noodles. Again it was served at a perfect temperature. Hot but not too hot. The vegetables were crisp and fresh. The flavor was just outstanding and a good sized portion too.

After the entree we were given a fruit plate. Very nicely presented on a chilled plate. Although edible the melon was certainly underipe.

For desert we were offered cheese or ice cream and coffee. Through a translation mixup I was given coffee-flavoured ice cream. Not my favorite but it would do; I wanted chocolate. The ice cream was frozen hard and difficult to eat with the flimsy metal spoon. I had to melt it with my hand. Coffee tasted like instant but tolerable for airline coffee.

The business class lavatory was clean and the flight attendant kept the coach class cabin passengers out. There was an empty flower vase (maybe our flight was too short to warrant flowers) and perfume and cologne in the lav.

Flight landed on time and deplaning was quick. Immigration at Hong Kong was another story with a nearly 60 minute queue. My luggage was already on the belt by the time I got through immigration. No customs line.

Overall I was mightily impressed with this flight and will use China Eastern business class again. Service at check-in, the lounge, and in-flight was top notch and better than I see on Delta. Although the lounge was a bit dingy the VIP bus to the airplane was a great touch. Inflight food was much better than Delta (apart from the dessert...the Delta sundae with a Port is hard to beat). I may try one of their TPAC flights and see how that goes.

Last edited by mpp; Dec 11, 2011 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 11, 2011, 5:19 am

Programs: KL Gold SkyTeam Elite Plus - SEN M&M *G
Thanks for your report, I like the Maglev trains!!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
WOW MU has improved A LOT. When I used to live in China and base out of SHA/PVG, I always had miserable experiences with them in both J and Y.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Thanks for a great trip report. It is always interesting to see airlines that I probably won't get a chance to fly - thanks for sharing.

aks120
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:54 pm

I enjoyed your report and photos. Really nice photos. Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb
WOW MU has improved A LOT. When I used to live in China and base out of SHA/PVG, I always had miserable experiences with them in both J and Y.
They still manage to suck a significant portion of the time.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM/UA 1P/AA Plat/Starwood Plat/Hilton Diamond
Amazing that you were able to find a low mileage award using Delta's SkyPeso FF. Good job, there ^

China Eastern didn't look too bad, despite some of the negative comments I've seen elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by jeffnin
Amazing that you were able to find a low mileage award using Delta's SkyPeso FF. Good job, there ^

China Eastern didn't look too bad, despite some of the negative comments I've seen elsewhere. Thanks for sharing.
It's pretty easy to snag award tickets on MU and CZ with DL miles.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:59 am
mpp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
It's pretty easy to snag award tickets on MU and CZ with DL miles.
The MU leg wasn't the difficult part. DTW-PVG and HKG-DTW along with the domestic legs in first/business are the difficult ones to find. Somehow there were I find them both on the perfect dates I wanted. Connecting the dots PVG-HKG was no problem and there was availability on most of the dates I checked. Unfortunately no way to check those on line and sometimes even the Delta agents don't know about MU flights. One agent even told me I could not use that leg because it wasn't a Delta codeshare.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Hmm,

Wonder why the Maglev is running at 300kph (186mph) sometimes instead of 431kph (274mph)?

JAT
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by JAT74L
Hmm,

Wonder why the Maglev is running at 300kph (186mph) sometimes instead of 431kph (274mph)?

JAT
To save money, of course.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:17 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
To save money, of course.
They made a lot of scientific studies and reduced speed to
abate the high pitch sound associated with acceleration and deceleration.
saving money was just a by-product. LOL
Old Dec 16, 2011, 7:34 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Does China Eastern logo and Eastern Airlines look somewhat similar?

CHINA EASTERN

EASTERN AIRLINES

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Dec 16, 2011 at 7:41 pm
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Thanks for the very detailed and informative report. Good to see someone having a positive experience flying with MU.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: A3 *G, fmr DL PM
Originally Posted by Studio54
Good to see someone having a positive experience flying with MU.
I flew MU from BKK-PVG-ICN a few months back. It wasn't too bad. Their biz reminds me of a legacy F domestic service back in the states, but slightly better cabin service. We had IRROPS due to Chinese ATC. I ended up getting promptly rebooked on FM. I also had to change my ticket date earlier by calling the MU ticket office in BKK. Relatively hassle free. My only complaint about PVG is that it's not really set up to transfer and nobody told me that I'd have to pick up my luggage and go through customs/immigration and change terminals. I figured it out quick enough, but somebody that doesn't travel very much would have been screwed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.