FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports-177/)
-   -   University vice-chancellor's TR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1335805-university-vice-chancellors-tr.html)

InternationalLiving Apr 14, 2012 5:30 am

University vice-chancellor's TR

I know this is a little unusual, but I thought it was a bit amusing. The VC from my university has joined the PM David Cameron on a trade delegation to Asia, and did talk a bit about the flying experience, so thought it might be of interest...

I am quite surprised that the PM flew on an Angolan charter!!

Uni of Southampton VC's Trip Report

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

http://isoton.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/088.jpg

Looks like a 747...

briantoronto Apr 14, 2012 8:19 am

It was an Atlas Air 747-400 that is primarily leased by Sol Air from Atlas to move oil workers form Houston to Angola.

Registration is N322SG

Video of it arriving in Tokyo
Photo in UK PM markings.

baggageinhall Apr 14, 2012 8:21 am

Very interesting. Well done to your VC for writing this report and letting people read about the sort of important work that goes on behind the scenes on these trips.

InternationalLiving Apr 14, 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto (Post 18391613)
It was an Atlas Air 747-400 that is primarily leased by Sol Air from Atlas to move oil workers form Houston to Angola.

Registration is N322SG

Photo in UK PM markings.

Wow, thanks for the info. Nice shiny paint job. Still seems quite interesting that the PM would fly on a chartered plane with unknown maintenance history (maybe plane gets inspection at LHR). Guess BA charge the taxpayer too much for charters these days :p

Originally Posted by baggageinhall (Post 18391618)
Very interesting. Well done to your VC for writing this report and letting people read about the sort of important work that goes on behind the scenes on these trips.

Yea, I thought it's pretty cool too that he decided to share the details... it is quite fascinating how it has become so trendy these days to set up overseas campuses... seems that we, in the west, still have good market share in at least a few things...

briantoronto Apr 14, 2012 9:34 am

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving (Post 18391927)
Wow, thanks for the info. Nice shiny paint job. Still seems quite interesting that the PM would fly on a chartered plane with unknown maintenance history (maybe plane gets inspection at LHR). Guess BA charge the taxpayer too much for charters these days :p

Unknown? I guess as unknown as any US owned and regulated airline, I suppose... :rolleyes:

In any case this full passenger 747-400 seats 189 people. Not a bad ride.

InternationalLiving Apr 14, 2012 9:50 am

Well, it's not like every airline exactly has the same safety record. It's an aircraft owned by a charter airline, with recent maintenance issues (Atlas Maintenance Issues), leased to an Angolan airline, but operated by Atlas.

Compare this to Air Force One 747, and there's clearly a major difference. I know someone who used to be one of the heads of the Marine One maintenance programme. He couldn't share details, but did say that that these helicopters were nothing like the standard issue ones, and nor was the maintenance programme.

Agreed though, 189 pax on a 747 is pretty nice, I'm guessing it's all business. Wonder what the food was like?

briantoronto Apr 14, 2012 9:58 am

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving (Post 18392052)
Well, it's not like every airline exactly has the same safety record. It's an aircraft owned by a charter airline, with recent maintenance issues (Atlas Maintenance Issues), leased to an Angolan airline, but operated by Atlas.

Agreed though, 189 pax on a 747 is pretty nice, I'm guessing it's all business. Wonder what the food was like?

That doesn't make it "unknown" (which is what I was rolling my eyes at). The plane is US registered and operated by Atlas Air on behalf of Solair. I suspect the author of the posts was confused by the Solair safety cards.

The plane is 3 class, but only has something like 36 economy seats. The aircraft is regularly used in 3 weekly service Houston-Luanda.

Brian

InternationalLiving Apr 14, 2012 10:11 am

Ok, sure, I'll agree with that. Of course it is also most-likely well maintained. But, it just doesn't seem (from someone not in-the-know's point of view) that it could be assured that the airline has maintenance (or indeed pilots/crew) that come up to the high standard that would be expected when flying around the leader of one of the world's richest economies...

It's not that I'm saying he deserves any more special treatment, just that it seems not up to the usual standard, necessarily.

briantoronto Apr 14, 2012 10:27 am

I agree that the UK is very odd in that respect.

The only other G20 country that does not use dedicated aircraft is Indonesia (and the EU depending on who is holding the presidency).

Brian

GodAtum Apr 16, 2012 7:07 am

What were the seats like? The front section looks like nice business class shell seats.