Search

China Southern A380 Service to Beijing in J

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:45 am
Original Poster

China Southern A380 Service to Beijing in J

China Southern Airlines A380 Trip Report

Hi all,

China Southern Airlines has taken the delivery of its third A380, B-6138, on February 29, and announced that it would use its third A380 exclusively on its solo Hong Kong to Beijing flight. CZ has traditionally running this single daily flight using an A321 and is quite a risky move to use an A380 on this flight. But I guess it wants to use the A380 as a way to attract new passengers and hopefully to build up some traffic on this heavily traveled flight. It is also good for training in terms of ground service, in-flight service, and to add some much needed hours for the cockpit crew. Terminal Three seems to be ready for the A380, and Terminal Two, the Skyteam terminal, is now also ready for Air France and China Southern’s A380 service. I can’t imagine a daily utilization rate of six hours will be profitable for CZ. Yes B-6138 is used exclusively on the HKG rotation now. CZ has long offered some very affordable “D” fares on this flight - $5820HKD plus tax (two days minimum) or $7332HKD (1 day minimum). With the opportunity to add a fifth A380 operator to my list, I soon booked a ticket to Beijing.

Booking:
I used a travel agent to book the ticket but the process seemed to be fine. However I was not able to retrieve the reservation online. But my agent was able to get me a seat assignment and entered my Delta mileage number with no issue.

Check-in:
China Southern Airlines uses Aisle J at HKG’s Terminal One. There is no special setup for the A380 flight, but there are a few promotional cardboards on the side. There are separate lanes for first and business class passengers, as well as a priority line for Skyteam elite plus members and CZ own elite members flying in economy cabin.

Here is the check-in area!

Here is the Premium VIP carpet for first and business class lanes!

The agents were friendly enough and the whole process took less than five minutes.

No pictures for return flight check-in, since there is a checkpoint before entering the general check-in area and I have never been to the PRC, so I did not take any pictures. Plus there is nothing special about the check-in areas. But compared to the nightmare at the checkpoint, the check-in area is more civilized. CZ uses Counters C areas and is well staffed with separate priority lines with the familiar red carpets again. J counters are quite busy but there is a leading agent that directs people to various lines. I was helped next and the trainee was efficient enough with the supervisor reminding her about telling me the directions to the lounge and reaffirming my seat assignment. The experience was very good and the agent was friendly and smiling. Customer service seems to be taken very seriously here in the PRC.

Lounge:
In Hong Kong, China Southern and most Mainland carriers use the CNAC VIP Lounge near gate 16 and 17. I have been here before – Emirates used this lounge prior to the opening of its own lounge a few years ago, and many second-tier airlines, like Sri Lankan, Philippine Airlines, and Pakistan Airlines use this lounge as well. There are plenty of seats around and complimentary wifi is available. Newspapers are limited to those who are pro-PRC (no Next Media papers or magazines here). The lounge was not busy this morning, so there were plenty of spaces. Buffet is limited to sandwiches, light snacks, dim sums like dumplings, soups – Cream of Chicken and Corn Soup, salad bar, cheese crackers, bread, and other light snacks, as well as a small liquor selection, including wines and hard liquors but no champagne. There is no fancy spread, but I manage to make myself a light lunch. Boarding announcements are available.

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:50 am
Original Poster

In Beijing, China Southern uses the BGS Premier Lounge, which is used by mostly Skyteam members and other non-alliance carriers like Hong Kong Airlines. It is located near gate 18. The service is less impressive with limited breakfast selection – scrambled egg, buns, and seafood congee, along with breads and assorted rolls and limited fruits. There are some beverages as well. The HKG lounge is better. The décor looks tired and lacks the modern touch.

Gate:
China Southern is using gate 60 for its Beijing flight at HKG, and gate 12 at Beijing’s Terminal Two. For HKG, gate 60 is quite inconvenient, as the lounge is all the way at gate 16, but I presume SQ A380 flight is also timed at this slot, and both airlines just rotate weekly. With this away gate, boarding announcement is made an hour and fifteen minutes prior to departure. It is quite annoying. I think HKIA needs to get a few more A380 gates, as there are more A380 operators and flights now.

I arrived early at HKG just to spot the arrival of the B-6138 into gate 60.
Here are the pictures – it is just a beautiful plane!

Gate 60

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:52 am
Original Poster

It is interesting to see how the catering truck operates for the upper deck.

Plane-spotting at HKG

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Plane-spotting at PEK

Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Boarding:
China Southern Airlines really starts their boarding early. Despite a departure time of 2:35pm, boarding began at 1:45pm, and for the return flight, boarding started at 7:45am for a departure time of 8:50am. I presume CZ does not want to lose its departure slot, but for both flights, they still need to page passengers.

Boarding at HKG – two jet bridges at Gate 60

Boarding at PEK – Gate 12 is the A380 gate at PEK’s Terminal Two

B-6138 sat at gate 12 overnight (well every nights for now)

Gate 12 has three fingers – two for main deck and one for upper deck

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Pre-takeoff activities:
Two flight attendants are greeting passengers at the gate, and there was a red carpet on the entrance. On my flight to Beijing, the purser made the F/A leading me to my seat. The initial impression was good and the F/As were quite busy running around with pre-takeoff beverage – orange or apple juice, hot towel, newspaper, headset, and amenities.

Pre-takeoff orange juice and hot towel (I love the China Southern branded hot towel)

Bottled water at the holder already (but the label said that bottled waters should be removed during takeoff, landing or taxi) – local PRC brand

Amenities – slippers, shoe bags with shoehorn, and eyeshades (return flight)

Newspaper – of course there is not going to be a typical newspaper cart, but a copy of the official PRC newspaper (English version is available)

Beijing Youth Post for the return flight – for local HK residents, this cover page will bring mixed reaction but no surprise here!

Headset – looks like a Bose one, but it is just a copycat but at least a noise-canceling headset

Bedding:

Menu

Printed menus are available and they are pre-placed at each seat. However, they did not replenish them on the return flight. I got no menu on the way to Beijing and got one on the return. Very strange but at least they did not recollect them. Meals for both inbound and outbound flights are printed on the menu. Entrée order is pre-taken prior to departure, and the F/A actually asked when did you want your meal. With only three hours flying time, the choice is whether you want the meal right after takeoff or an hour and fifteen minutes prior to landing.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Flight information:
The routing is pretty direct – all the way to Guangzhou, and then Wuhan and then west of Beijing before turning east. The return routing is here:

The flight was late on the outbound flight due to ATC traffic congestion. For those frequently flying to the PRC, it is no surprise. The pilots kept everyone informed. Despite the doors were closed on time, we did not push back till 3pm. We took off from R/W25L at 3:20pm. Descent began at 5:28pm but due to a last minute runway change, we did not land on R/W19 at 6:13pm. Then there was a long taxi towards Terminal Two, and we did not park at gate 12 till 6:26pm.

The return flight went smoother, and we pushed back ten minutes early at 8:40am. We need to taxi all the way to Runway 01, but took off at 9:08am. Flying time was three hours and two minutes. Descent began at 11:18am towards 32,000feet, and then at 11:40am. We landed on R/W25R at 12:10pm and parked at gate 60 at 12:17pm. It took a while for the upper deck jet bridge to move to position.
Cabin and seat:
Unlike Emirates and Singapore Airlines, China Southern goes with “practicality,” instead of “luxury” or “out of the world” amenities. Business Class retains the blue scheme. The seats are similar to Emirates, but without the mini bar, the concept is similar and aims to provide solo access for each passenger, and window seats are perfect for solo passengers. The seats can just more padding, but two pillows are able to resolve this issue. There is a huge storage bin on the side of the seats, and huge table spaces for magazines and reading materials. There are two business class cabins in the upper deck and my pictures are on the second main cabin. The color scheme is very nice and the cabin is spotless.

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Overhead panel

Window:

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

The major features of the seats:
Shoe storage bin

Tray Table – nice design and pushed from the side without taking away the width

Cup Holder and Snack tray holder

Two seat control panel – one simple and one more detailed

Bottled water holder
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Magazine holder

Side storage bin

Personal TV

USB Drive

Seat in pre-set recline position

Seat in full flat position – note the gap between seat and footrest – there is also no legrest

Seat with the bedding provided – nice duvet blanket but no separate mattress pad

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Catering:
There is no alcoholic beverage offered at any stage of this flight. Even with beverage order, the flight attendants only mention non-alcoholic beverages and there is no separate wine list. The service order in business class is as the following:
- Linen – I like the golden embroidered CZ logo

- Beverage and mixed Nuts
- One tray hot main meal – appetizers and entrée – there is no bread service at all
- Beverage refill
- Fresh fruit plate and dessert and more beverage
- Hot towel Service
- Mint Polo and hot towel after descent has begun

Beverage with mixed nuts after takeoff:

Beijing to Hong Kong
Business Class

Main Meal

Appetizer
Beef Shank, Mix Almond Salad

Soup
Beef Soup with Tang Ginseng and Red Date

Entrée
Beef Steak
Roasted Chicken with Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaf
Red Snapper Fillet Teriyaki

Accompaniments:
Steamed Aromatic Rice, Dumpling
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Special Recommendations
China Southern Deluxe Beef Noodle Soup Ensemble

BBQ Chicken Pastry, Pan fried Scallop Dumpling, Mountain Delicacy Dumpling, Har Gau

Dessert
Quail Egg Sweet Soup with Papaya, Red Date and Longan

BAXY Ice Cream
Fresh Fruits in Season

Coffee, Tea & Petit Four are served at your request

Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong to Beijing

Main Meal

Appetizer
Marinated Pork Belly Slices, Mix Salad with Asparagus Pencil and Cherry Tomato

Soup
Beef Shank Soup with Red Date

Entrée
Beef Stew with Red Wine Sauce

Yu-Hsiang Chicken with Assorted Vegetables
Wok-fried Prawn with Spicy Sauce and Assorted Mushroom

Accompaniments:
Steamed Aromatic Rice, Beef Noodles

Special Recommendations
Supreme Seafood Dumpling, Dumpling with Pork and Pea, Siew Mai with Cuttlefish Paste, Jade Sprout Dumpling with Shrimp Paste

Dessert
Clafoutis Raspberries

Fresh Fruits in Season

Coffee, Tea & Petit Four are served at your request

In general, the catering is definitely very Chinese oriented, and for Western passengers, please be forewarned about the catering even in premium cabin. There is sort of Western option, but breads are not offered at all. From Beijing to Hong Kong, the only Western dessert option is ice cream. There were Western passengers on both my flights but those businessmen looked like frequent travelers to China and were very receptive towards Chinese food. One European passenger drank Chinese tea the whole journey and ordered beef noodles. But for those passengers, who are not big Chinese food fan, please fly CX or KA, or eat prior to flight. For a Chinese, the food is actually very nice and I love the Beef Noodles Ensemble. The fresh steamed rice is good and I love the hot soup service. The dessert is the most disappointing aspect. Beverage service can be better and I understand that can service is not offered because they prefer F/A to refill your beverages. However the water glasses are too small so I don’t mind the whole can. Ice was only offered on the return flight from PEK to HKG. There are some basic things that are missing.

Flight Attendants:
I honestly don’t know what to expect but from the trip report that I quoted below, things seem to look decent. I have to agree with sutrakhk. Flight attendants tried very hard to provide a very top class service, and for my experience, the F/A on the return flight from PEK to HKG is better, she is more attuned to details and whenever I said thank you, she always said, “you are welcome!” She also offered me English papers when I gave her back the Chinese papers. She also unwrapped the slippers for all passengers, instead of just handing you the amenities. The purser on the return flight also did her greeting to each passenger. Due to my poor mandarin (not to mention Peking accent), I did not know if they addressed me by my last name, but the friendliness was noted. I also notice that most passengers were quite demanding (since the call buttons went off throughout the flight), the F/As always came by quickly and more than welcome to help, instead of giving you the dirty look. Of course, they are not as personable as your typical top notch CX or SQ F/As, who made small talks with passengers, but tried very hard to offer top service. However, the F/As really need to work on its English verbal skill, as the English announcements are barely comprehensible. I can’t imagine a Western passengers understanding any of the long P/As. The pilots are better though, but the F/As need some training. Nevertheless, I think I scored them above most American and European F/As, and work really hard throughout the flight in the premium cabin. They are not as detail-oriented or personable than CX, KA, or SQ F/As, but I appreciate the effort.

Entertainment:
There is a comprehensive audio-video on demand system with many movies, televisions, and short subjects. There are no American or British sitcoms (which are not surprising given most of them are very liberal), but the film library is quite extensive. Reading materials are also limited, but this won’t change due to how the PRC government is sensitive about the kind of reading materials entering China and I am not sure if we will read some of the official stuffs as well. The headsets look nice – at least better than those used by CX, but since I did not take part at any of the programs, I can’t give you any answer. But on both flights, my television froze mid-flight (Yes I just set my TV to the Sky Map section with “Autoplay”), and the F/A was able to reset the television on both flights (yes similar to other airlines, they can reset PTV at individual seat). However there is definitely a stability issue and I can’t imagine how this entertainment system works on those long haul flights. There is also no external camera function, which is disappointing, since all A380 operators provide that service. The F/As also turned off the entertainment system way too early. On my way to Beijing, I am sort of not surprised, as they are required to show a few Chinese Custom, Immigration, and other official videos, but on the way to Hong Kong, they really don’t need to shut it down 35 minutes prior to arrival.

China Southern Airlines is commonly known as one of the better Mainland based airlines, and I am quite impressed. The only weakness is the lax reinforcement of rules, especially in premium class. There were passengers with their seats on full flat positions during takeoff or landing. However, they at least enforced that everyone must be seated during taxiing, which was a major issue. The cell phone rules are completely broken and lots of cell phone and iphone notification sounds during our final into HKG.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Thanks for your detailed report! Do you know is the CZ A380 service to HKG is a temporary service, or is a permanent service?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Additional pictures on arrival into Hong Kong – since we used R/W25, there was more opportunities for picture taking.

My trip report is nothing compared to this one, but hopefully provides another perspective. For more details on the cabin and the first class service, please refer to the following thread at airliners.net:
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/211358/

As of now the HKG-PEK route provides a very affordable way to enjoy CZ A380 service and if you are ever in HKG, you should consider it. You can purchase this fare at webjet.com.hk or zuji.com.hk. In conclusion, I think I can handle a long haul China Southern flight in the future and hope that they will provide an attractive business class fare from LAX to Asia in the near future.

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.