Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - SQ/TG J flights + SQ SIN-KIX 40th Anniv. A380

Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - SQ/TG J flights + SQ SIN-KIX 40th Anniv. A380

Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, CX MPC SL, ANA Mileage Club, UA Mileage Plus, Qantas FF
SQ J flights x 5 + TG J flights x 4 = Project Squeeze Miles 2012

Project Squeeze Miles 2012

(1) Introduction

All these begins with Singapore Airlines' 40th anniversary for their Singapore - Osaka Commemorative flights.

From 10 to 15th August 2012, SQ will be operating A380 instead of the usual A330 for the route, and hopefully there will be some kind of commemorative events going on, or at least gifts and souvenirs to take home. Therefore I have booked a seat in Business Class on SQ618 on the 10th August SIN-KIX, and the return SQ619 on 15th August, the first and last day of the A380 service respectively.

To squeeze an extra flight sector based on the same miles, I have added Kuala Lumpur sectors before and after the SIN-KIX flights, which are SQ117 KUL-SIN and SQ118 SIN-KUL respectively.

As I am based in Hong Kong, I have to first position myself to KUL to begin these flights. Over the decade I have accumulated a number of UA Mileage Plus miles from flying on United Airlines, as well as paid huge sum to transferred from relatives' dormant account both to preserve their miles and create an "account activity" to extend the expiration date of my miles. With the absurd amount of money spent just to transfer things which I (precisely my relatives) own, I have decided to take the most out of it. Originally I planned to use them for SIN-NRT return on J but the 311 Northeastern earthquake messed up my plan, but that had eventually gave me a chance to better use my miles.

Thanks to UA's latest online booking system after merging with Continental, the system can now search and book Star Alliance award flights online, and this seems to offer even more options than the "ANA Tool" which I had been using before. I had considered abandoning my Mileage Plus account after I have spent all accrued miles and concentrate on SQ Krisflyer, but now I have changed my mind. The best thing about this system is it allows customer to choose flight combinations with multiple transits even though there are direct flights available, and such combination allows backtrack to a certain extent. There was nothing more exciting than finding out I could do HKG-SIN (intra-South Asia according to UA award system, i.e. 17500 miles one-way in Business Class) via Seoul Incheon, this consists of a Thai Airways (TG) flight HKG-ICN, and Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight from ICN-SIN. In short, I have redeemed two North Asia <--> South Asia flights at the cost of one intra-South Asia flight, and not to mention TG being famous for their catering quality, SQ for their inflight service, and Asiana Lounge at Seoul Incheon.

Since this trip is aimed to keep flight cost low, the SIN-KUL positioning flight will be by Air Asia. With the zero air fare, after adding up all sorts of levies and fees, bags and meals, they come to a total of SGD69, still quite a good deal considering SQ charges far more than this amount under the name of "carrier surcharge" after I have added the SIN-KUL "free" sectors on top of the SIN-KIX flights.

For the final flights after returning from Osaka to Kuala Lumpur, I have chosen to fly 3 flights from KUL to HKG, on Thai Airways, firstly KUL to Bangkok, then Bangkok to Seoul and then Seoul to Hong Kong. Again booked with 17,500 miles with United Airlines. I would never be able to make such routing before their new system in place, calling their hotline will only result in the most direct route.

All except Air Asia's flight will be in Business Class. Some may wonder what's the fun to spend time sitting on a plane but that's what makes me an aviation enthusiast, and considering these flights are in premium cabins, they are instead rather pleasurable experience.

For most who have lost their mind in figuring what exactly my flights are, here are the details:

07/AUG TG628 HKG-ICN
08/AUG SQ603 ICN-SIN
08/AUG AK726 SIN-KUL
09/AUG SQ117 KUL-SIN
10/AUG SQ618 SIN-KIX
15/AUG SQ619 KIX-SIN
15/AUG SQ118 SIN-KUL
19/AUG TG418 KUL-BKK
20/AUG TG658 BKK-ICN
20/AUG TG629 ICN-HKG

Total Mileage Used:
35,000 UA Mileage Plus
68,000 SQ Krisflyer

Total Cost (Things not included in mileage redemption, including AirAsia's flight):
HKD 4,215 (with SQ's "carrier surcharge" contributed HKD 3,443.63, which is crazily disproportional in my opinion)

I have run some dummy booking for these flights and check how much cash would I need if I am to resemble an exact itinerary, the answer is a whopping HKD 51,713 (approx USD 6,668)

For those interested in flight distance covered, great circle kilometres is 24,305km.

Fingers crossed for everything going on fine and smooth

Last edited by JackieH; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:09 am
Old Aug 9, 2012, 1:21 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
Originally Posted by JackieH
There was nothing more exciting than finding out I could do HKG-SIN (intra-South Asia according to UA award system, i.e. 17500 miles one-way in Business Class) via Seoul Incheon, this consists of a Thai Airways (TG) flight HKG-ICN, and Singapore Airlines (SQ) flight from ICN-SIN. In short, I have redeemed two North Asia <--> South Asia flights at the cost of one intra-South Asia flight, and not to mention TG being famous for their catering quality, SQ for their inflight service, and Asiana Lounge at Seoul Incheon.
I am a Singaporean working in Hong Kong. So thanks for your tip. I'll start accumulating my miles in UA so that I can try such a trip when next I go back home. Cheers.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - (Part 2) TG628 HKG-ICN

Date: 07th August 2012
Airlines: Thai Airways
Flight: TG 628
Route: HKG - ICN (Hong Kong - Seoul Incheon)
Aircraft type: Boeing 777-200

This is my first time flying Thai Airways, and despite their older hardware, I have learnt that they are more willing to spend to provide better quality catering for passengers. I love the soup served by HKG Thai lounge the most, and today's soup is Thai Tom Kha Gai, which for this quality do not come cheap in Thai restaurants in town.

Thai Tom Kha Gai

However for the meal onboard, with high expectation, it had fell short what I have been expecting for the quality. Probably because it is the second leg of the BKK-ICN flight, the portion does not seem generous for a J class meal, and the stewed beef is somewhat rubbery. I have been expecting Thai choice like green curry but was not in any of the options.

Nuts and Drink

First Course - Salmon Gravlax

Main Course - Braised Beef Stew with Grainy Mustard and Tarragon Brown Sauce, Mashed Potatoes and Green Peas, Roasted Pumpkin and Zucchini

Dessert - Rasberry Mousse Cake

Despite it is a short haul day flight, Thai Airways surprised me with their Crabtree & Evelyn amenity kit which included everything you need for an overnight flight.

Crabtree & Evelyn amenity kit

Service was fairly good but only on the show. I have no idea why the curtains leading to the forward toilets was deployed, probably secluded to be their private resting area, and it took over an hour for my table cloth and glasses be collected after my meal.

On the pleasant side, because of typhoon Haikui, the flight took a easterly route, overflying east of Taiwan and over Okinawa before flying westward to Seoul Incheon via Jeju. This longer route allowed an extra 30 minutes in the premium cabin.

Route flown

More photos please click here

To be continued...

Last edited by JackieH; Dec 27, 2012 at 7:59 am
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - (3) SQ 603 (ICN - SIN)

Date: 08th August 2012
Airlines: Singapore Airlines
Flight: SQ 603
Route: ICN - SIN (Seoul Incheon - Singapore)
Aircraft type: Airbus A330-300

Although I have no idea how a wall of bookshelves and a baby grand piano are related to flying and travelling, but such decor in Asiana's Business Class lounge at Seoul Incheon Airport had resembled an elegant atmosphere unique among lounges where I have been to. The ample space and seating could accommodate quite a number of passengers comfortably.

However on the disappointing side, with everything looks grand, there were only a handful of choices for hot plates for the hub lounge, yet the availability of local "Seoul Milk" is a plus to me.

I have been expecting some kind of Korean style dinner for this ex-Seoul red-eye flight, but the meal choices were more like breakfast rather than a late dinner, and I have never imagined having chips served in a bowl in Business Class, good for movies though.

Nothing much special about this flight and service was rather robotic, probably the crew were in overnight mode as well. Even the flower in the toilet looked wilt. However I enjoyed one of the documentary video discussing a conspiracy of the sunk Titanic was in fact Olympic, as the Olympic had suffered structural damages in previous accidents, and there is huge economical benefit to sink it in the name of the new Titanic for insurance benefits, however things went wrong resulting the nearby Californian which had been planned to come to rescue failed to arrive in time.

During the descent I found something stinging my arm from the pillow, and trying to pull it out revealed that it is a feather, now I know what makes the business class pillow.

Ciabatta with beef pastrami and sauteed onion, red cabbage-apple coleslaw

Click here for more photos

To be continued...

Last edited by JackieH; Dec 27, 2012 at 7:59 am
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:59 am
Original Poster

Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - (4) AK 726 (SIN - KUL)

Date: 08th August 2012
Airlines: Air Asia
Flight: AK 726
Route: SIN - KUL (Singapore - Kuala Lumpur)
Aircraft type: Airbus A320

This Air Asia flight was the only non-premium cabin flight in the trip. There were two purposes for flying this flight, the first and principal one was to position me in KUL ready for the coming up KUL-SIN-KIX sector, the second was to savor their renowned nasi lemak.

As I arrived Singapore before Air Asia opened their check in counter, I was there to wait them open. The kinetic rain of terminal 1 is quite a stunning piece of art that changes its form with time, which is quite a visual pleasure to kill time by looking at it, other than ask for a free WIFI login from the information counter.

As there was no lounge access come with this flight, I got my lounge access with my Priority Pass into Rainforest by SATS at Terminal 1 after I have checked in and completed the immigration formalities. (The Skyview Lounge was under renovation so I did not need to bother on choosing which one to go).

Personally I refer lounge which could be accessed by credit cards and Priority Passes or alike as "fake lounge", as contrast to the "real lounge" which access can be granted only when flying premium cabins of respective airlines. On this day's visit to this "fake lounge", I felt strange that I was observed by almost every of the handful fellow guest with weird and unpleasant eyesight, which I do not encounter in "real lounge" anywhere else in the trip. My bet would be I look young and they think this is not a place where I belong to, and they do care about who are their fellow guests while in fact is none of their business. To make matter worse, all of them chose to sit right in front of the food area had strengthen their attention on me when I grab my food.

Furthermore, this "fake lounge" was where I got my first trouble of photography of the trip. While I was shooting an SQ A340-500 "outside" of the window, I was approached by a staff who told me photography was not allow "inside" the lounge. And thanks to this I have no photo to share with you about this lounge, all is left for your imagination and Google search, but to me, quality of food was mediocre at most, lighting and atmosphere was terrible, the only plus is shower is included in the general entrance fee if you should need it.

The flight was operated by 9M-AFY, an A320 with Lotus F1 special delivery, but the layout of colors appeared ugly to me, the yellow nose resembled the beak of a bird which I think the scheme would fit more for an Angry Bird. I have no idea when I will fly Air Asia next, therefore I have ordered two meals, one being the renowned nasi lemak, and another Uncle Chin's chicken rice, since this is the first time I have nasi lemak, I have no way to tell whether it is inferior or superior than average, but one thing for sure is nasi lemak does not suit very much to my appetite, I prefer Uncle Chin's chicken rice more even though I consumed it cold in hotel afterwards as the flight was too short to complete both meals.

Arriving at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) is a unique experience. Stairs for disembarking the aircraft is human-powered instead of a stair truck, and rather than a shuttle bus transfer you to the arrival Hall, you walk on the tarmac with other aircraft and ground vehicle movement, and self-elect whether you are arriving from an international flight or domestic flight, and the whole terminal building is more like a temporary structure, very primitive I would say, together with the tropical weather I have considered myself arriving into Africa or similar, I think the experience would resemble the old flying days of 1960s and 1970s.

To be continued...

Last edited by JackieH; Aug 26, 2012 at 5:15 am
Old Aug 26, 2012, 5:37 am
Original Poster

Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - (5) SQ 117 (KUL - SIN)

Date: 09th August 2012
Flight: SQ 117
Route: KUL - SIN (Kuala Lumpur - Singapore)
Aircraft type: Airbus A330-300

If I had scheduled this flight a day earlier, I would not be able to visit KLIA's newly renovated Plaza Premium Lounge. I checked in the flight hours before departure time and hence enabled me to stroll around the airport, still leaving more than an hour's time for each of Plaza Premium Lounge and Silverkris Lounge.

KLIA is probably one of the few places where a "fake" lounge performs better than a "real" lounge. The Plaza Premium Lounge not only newly renovated (or in fact I was there the first day of operation after renovation), with ample of space and various choices on food and desserts, while Silverkris Lounge just next door was small and packed with passengers.

The lounge was packed probably due to the fact that flight was full in J, probably somewhat related to the day being national day of Singapore.

The short flight was smooth and uneventful, except due to National Day's Air Force performance that flights were delayed and my flight had two holding patterns before arrival.

To be continued...

Last edited by JackieH; Dec 27, 2012 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Project Squeeze Miles 2012 - (6) SQ 618 (SIN - KIX)

Date: 09th August 2012
Flight: SQ 618
Route: SIN - KIX (Singapore - Osaka Kansai)
Aircraft type: Airbus A380-800

And here comes the highly expected part of the trip, the A380-800 40th Anniversary flight for SQ's Singapore to Osaka route. I have been expecting lots of commemorative souvenir for every passenger, and probably a reception in the boarding gate area.

However, to my disappointment, all I have got was a SGD40 inflight duty free discount voucher for purchases over SGD250, and a "reception" at the bridge by a security personnel who said photographing in sterile area was not permitted and requested the photo be deleted with her witness (the second photo trouble in my trip), what a nice incident to begin the "day" with (after 12 midnight). The airport should make all glasses opaque if taking a photograph of an aircraft is a "security threat".

I have selected my seat when I booked my ticket, 12K which is the second row of business class seat on the upper deck (the first row is without windows). I was welcomed onboard with a cabin crew telling me there was "something wrong" with the system and in fact seat 12K had been occupied, I was given a choice to take 11K (which has no windows), or any other seat I want in the back in this relatively empty flight. I have taken seat 20K with a view of the engines in front of the wing, but soon after I settled, there were a couple happen to be sitting at 20D and 20F, so for their privacy (and actually my own), I moved myself back to 27K, the last row of the Business Class, with view behind the wings. A cabin crew jokingly said I had already started playing musical chair before the flight started, I told him no matter how I play musical chair, I will not move myself further behind (into Economy class).

A second thought about my original seat assignment, rather than "something wrong with the system", it was probably due to a passenger who picked 11K found his seat being inferior (no windows and narrower due to curvature of aircraft at nose section) and decided to take my seat instead.

The seat is very wide, as wide as First Class seat of Cathay Pacific, so wide that it has to add a leather cushion as a "hand rest" , the only minus is that the head and foot part goes narrower when the seat is in bed mode, but afterall it is a Business Class seat and it is understood that it has to be slightly inferior. Such Business Class seat could beat many First Classes of other airlines, and recently SQ have announced they are already in the progress of designing new seats. I wonder what more they could improve.

I have stuffed myself full at the Silverkris lounge so I am in no hurry for a flight meal, which they offer either after takeoff or 2 hours before arrival. Probably because the flight was quite empty, and I had been "troubled" to select an alternate seat, with addition to I am the only passenger at the back of the Business class cabin, the crew was very kind and attentive. A cabin crew saw me taking photos of Rilakkuma, and she offered a stuffed toy of unknown name to photograph with.

I was very happy with the darkness of the cabin that there was almost no reflection on the window from the cabin when I attempt to photograph stars in the sky, and in fact apart from stars, I managed to capture lightning in a distant.

For the breakfast, I opt for the Japanese meal, or Hanakoireki, it consists of 6 separate items on the menu but in fact it is served in one single bento box, slightly disappointed with it.

After the breakfast, I had a casual chat with a very nice cabin crew, and we chatted everything from my Rilakkuma and my love on travelling to Japan, to Cathay Pacific being a major rival for Singapore Airlines, to me she is definitely one of the best cabin crews I have ever interacted with.

The flight was welcomed by water cannon at Osaka Kansai International Airport as it is the first SQ A380 visit to the airport, however all passengers on the upper deck would have to disembark at the lower deck as there is no air bridge specialized for the A380.

Looking down at the boarding area, there was an reception for passengers flying from Osaka to Singapore, I felt it was so unfair as it should be offered both way. Should I have known it beforehand I would have taken the KIX-SIN sector on this day instead.

Last edited by JackieH; Dec 27, 2012 at 8:00 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.