Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First First! - BA First Class, Sydney to UK Return (& Paris, Ireland, Bangkok)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Great update from T3. I felt your pain in leaving the UK. You just have to keep reminding yourself how much you enjoy your Australian life, and that the UK is only two flights away!

The Galleries First lounge at T3 is adequate. It doesn't have the plush seating of its T5 counterpart. I actually prefer the Cathay Pacific First Class lounge in T3 - did you not try that lounge, or was it closed?

The AA Flagship lounge, of course, is to be avoided at all costs.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 1:37 pm

Programs: SA Voyager, BA Executive Club
Great TR. It was fun to read your comments about ORK. I have been using it since 1966. The new terminal was the first real change since those days! Unfortunately, like so many things in Ireland, it was commissioned just in time to miss the best of the boom years. All those trolleys would have been in use at weekends during 2006,7.

A couple of points that you raised:-

the incomplete air bridges; FR as the main operator always uses front and back doors, with air stairs, for speed of boarding and off loading. Aer Lingus has simply followed suit I guess. It saved the Airport company a bit, by not finishing things off. Very irritating when it is raining, which it is often.

The covered walkway towards the old terminal was used by pax for Aer Arran up until last year, when it operated services in its own name to, inter alia, DUB (up to 4 flights daily each way), BRS, CWL, JER etc, using ATRs. Now all it's ORK ops are for Aer Lingus Regional, in EI livery, using stands at the new terminal. EI now has no ORK/DUB service atall; ORK/MAN and ORK/BHX are now flown with EI Regional ATRs, instead of EI A320s, and ORK/ DUB now has one flight daily by FR. I have migrated to the train.

At LHR Terminal 1, the transfer bus from the back of EI arrivals is a great innovation, taking you straight to the FCC. Otherwise it is a long walk and you end up as a domestic arrival.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 4:10 pm

Great trip report. I feel like I am flying with you. . I will be off to Abu dhabi next week on BA first and I am hoping that me and my husband have the opportunity to experience the new First.
Can't wait to read your experience on the new First.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 6:41 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Excellent TR matthandy, without doubt the best I have read here. ^^ Must be one of the longest and keep it coming!

Like many others I have been following this from the very start. Don't worry how long it takes you to write/compile/post etc. We will all wait......... but please by have it all done by next week though

It must have been hard leaving again but once you're back down under I am sure your routine will kick in again and any homesicknes will be a little less.

We have friends who emigrated to Hervey Bay about 5/6 years ago with three kids. Then they were about 9,11 and 14 and they all found it extremely hard but they will never return now. Likewise Mrs P has an old school friend who emigrated to Adelaide about 4 years ago and she will never return.

Anyhow, always a good excuse to come back and you also have the added bonus of having had 2 summers
Old Jul 18, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Matt, you have already won the TR of the year for the BA board, it is excellent.^

I just realized from the photos that the Aer Lingus seats are the same as the ones that BA introduces to the new A320s ( as they use them for the CE cabin also)
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kered
Take your time Matt. This is an exceptionally enjoyable trip report to read & I can just imagine the logistics involved in both compiling it & then uploading to FT.....
Thanks kered. Yes it does take an inordinate amount of effort, and to be honest, this weekend I had the choice of sailing on Sydney Harbour or writing this report, so I chose the sailing .

Originally Posted by kered
It's as if I'm driven my this unseen inner force & I want no diversions or distractions at all & can only relax once I'm airside.
That's exactly it. I just hope that my friends didn't find me rude.

Originally Posted by Genius1
I actually prefer the Cathay Pacific First Class lounge in T3 - did you not try that lounge, or was it closed?
I didn't think about that to be honest, but I should have taken the opportunity for a wander.

Originally Posted by Genius1
The AA Flagship lounge, of course, is to be avoided at all costs.
That goes without saying

Originally Posted by Zilvermyner
The covered walkway towards the old terminal was used by pax for Aer Arran up until last year, when it operated services in its own name to, inter alia, DUB (up to 4 flights daily each way), BRS, CWL, JER etc, using ATRs.
Great ino Zilvermyner, thanks very much. Luckily it was a lovely sunny day, so it was nice to be able to walk on the tarmac. As you say, must be a different story when it's tipping down!

I wouldn't want to have to use the covered walkway, it looks like an exeedingly long walk. I assume that the walkway is used for gates 1 and 2?

Originally Posted by flyer newbie
I will be off to Abu dhabi next week on BA first and I am hoping that me and my husband have the opportunity to experience the new First.
I hope that you do too, but unfortunately, the chances are not good. Take a look at this page for info on your chances:

http://ftdashboard.net/dest/auh.htm

Originally Posted by PETER01
Excellent TR matthandy, without doubt the best I have read here. ^^ Must be one of the longest and keep it coming!
Thanks PETER01, glad that you are enjoying it. More to come, it's already my longest TR!

Originally Posted by PETER01
It must have been hard leaving again but once you're back down under I am sure your routine will kick in again and any homesicknes will be a little less.
The sailing really helps with this, I'm planning on going out every weekend, if the weather permits. It's very liberating and at the same time, there is lots to learn.

Originally Posted by potakas
I just realized from the photos that the Aer Lingus seats are the same as the ones that BA introduces to the new A320s ( as they use them for the CE cabin also)
I had a look at my photos of the BA A320 space saver seats and the EI seats and they aren't the same, you got my thinking though! I think that the EI seats are more padded.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 2:20 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by matthandy
Originally Posted by Zilvermyner
The covered walkway towards the old terminal was used by pax for Aer Arran up until last year, .....
I wouldn't want to have to use the covered walkway, it looks like an exeedingly long walk. I assume that the walkway is used for gates 1 and 2?
I also think that the covered walkways, are used for the charter flights during the summer, heading off to "LanzaGrotty" & other such destinations.

...this weekend I had the choice of sailing on Sydney Harbour or writing this report, so I chose the sailing .
Oh I bet that was a difficult choice to make, you lucky sod
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

London Heathrow to Bangkok – British Airways New First Class

So here we go, this is what you have been waiting for…

Boarding hadn’t started yet however, people were gathering around the door. At 21.25 an announcement was made that those with special needs and those with infants could now board.

Shortly after, passengers in First and Business, plus BA and Oneworld frequent flyers were invited to board. Pretty much as soon as the guy uttered the ‘F’ in ‘First’ I approached the other agent and made my way down the air bridge.

Racing down the air bridge

London Heathrow to Bangkok with British Airways

Flight: BA9
Carrier: British Airways
Aircraft: Boeing 747-400 – G-CIVT
Scheduled Departure time: 22.00
Duration: 11h 15m
Scheduled Arrival time: 15.15
Class: First (New)
Seat: 2K (seat plan)

I boarded at door 2 and was welcomed by the crew member there, who lead me to the F galley and introduced me to the purser. She then welcomed me and showed me to my seat. We had a quick chat and I said that it was my first time in New First. She seemed really chatty and friendly. She went off to the galley and came back with a sleeper suit and wash kit.

First impressions? Wow. New First is incredibly classy. The cabin looked great, a had a real impact. Compared to Old First, this felt like a huge step up.

I managed to get a few snaps before I was then quickly joined by another couple of passengers.

New First Cabin - 747

My Seat – 2K

Leg Room – 2K

The K Seats

An Overview of 1A

I settled down into my seat and the purser returned to offer me a choice of water, orange juice and champagne. I decided to take a water and a glass of champagne and then took a moment to survey my surroundings.

The seat itself seemed to be wider, and the arm rests were a lot more comfortable. Gone was the side shelf, replaced by a smaller table. This seemed to provide more space around the leg area for sleeping. The materials were very high quality with solid surfaces and leather touches everywhere. The head area seemed to be a lot higher than the old seat and therefore offered more privacy.

My drinks were delivered by one of the other crew members, as the purser welcomed new passengers as they arrived into the cabin. She was very professional and friendly, asked each passenger if they were familiar with the New cabin.

Pre-departure Drinks

2K from the buddy seat

A view of 2A

I glanced out of the window and noticed that the Qantas 747 next door to us was in fact VH-OJN, the same aircraft that I photographed when I was in the First class lounge in Sydney a couple of weeks ago.

The cabin started to fill up, and I wondered if we’d have a full house tonight. Everyone seemed very chirpy and I heard a couple of English gents with thick posh accents.

I could overhear the crew in the galley and they mentioned that only 1A and 5F would be free tonight. Promptly afterwards, 1K joined the cabin. He seemed like some kind of actor, but I didn’t recognise him. He was quite demanding, but in a very polite way. He asked the purser if the champagne was chilled, to which the purser promised to return before pushback with a well chilled glass for him.

The lady in seat 2A went and changed into her pyjamas and as I sat sipping my drinks, waiting for push back, there was one thing that particularly annoyed me, the endless stream of passengers visiting the magazine rack. It was like WHSmith was having a closing down sale, it was constant and very irritating as the passengers in question seemed not pay no attention to the fact that they kept rubbing past my seat.

At 22.00, our scheduled pushback time, the Captain introduced himself and the crew and said that we were almost ready to go. The flight time was expected to be 10 hours and 45 minutes.

At 22.10, we started to push back and the crew came around to take everyone’s screens out for the safety demo. Compared to Old First, the screen was huge, although, still low resolution.

The purser returned to the gentleman in 1K with a chilled glass of champers, which was gratefully received.

We had a pretty long taxi, but eventually we lined up on the runway and were on our way at about 22.25. There was lots and vibration as we took off, but as soon as the nose gear was retracted serenity resumed.

10 minutes later the service started, as we made our way up to our cruising altitude. The purser made her way around the cabin to take pre-dinner drinks orders and hand out menus and landing cards. One of the other crew members then came around with hot towels.

I found the difference between the purser and the other two crew members to be as vast as chalk and cheese. The purser was friendly, extremely professional and showed a genuine interest in passengers. The other two crew members were practically mute. They barely said anything to anyone, never smiled and barely acknowledged the passengers existence. I didn’t really understand it. On my second First flight, from Bangkok to London you could tell that the crew all worked really well as a team and got on well with each other personally. Perhaps that was not the case here.

I had ordered a glass of iced water, deciding to stay off the alcohol for this flight, as I wanted to get some sleep. This arrived promptly so I used the seat controls to raise the seat to it’s highest position and then took out the new, large dining table.

Seat and lighting controls

Water and menus

Like the rest of the cabin, the table has been completely redesigned. It has two positions, half size, with a leather surface for writing, and full size with a solid surface for eating.

I played a little with the lighting controls and found the side lamp to be very useful indeed. I liked the fact that it was possible to have softer, ambient lighting, rather than the harsh spotlights of before (although these were still available if required).

I started to make a few notes on my iPad when the purser started to make her way around the cabin to take the dinner orders. She did so by crouching down so that she was at eye level and then addressing each passenger by name. She also asked if I wanted to eat straight away, or later, and whether I wanted to have a break between courses. So many questions . The purser really was going the extra mile. It was about 23.05 at this point, 40 minutes after take off.

Here are the menu and wine list:

WELCOME TO FIRST

The new First dining experience celebrates our rituals and traditions.

We've focussed on the simplicity of dishes, using locally sourced fresh produce. The menu alters from month to month according to the quality of seasonal ingredients and features various regional specialties from around the world.

You can choose between formal service, laid out on an elegantly dressed dining table, or an informal service, arranged on your side table to allow you the time and space to continue working or relaxing as you wish.

DINNER

BRITISH AIRWAYS CLASSICS AND SEASONAL DISHES
Many of our best dishes are greatly loved and have become firm favourites with you. We are delighted to offer some of these for your enjoyment today.

Our special seasonal dishes have been created using locally sourced ingredients wherever possible.

STARTERS

English asparagus with pea and broad bean dressing and poached hen’s egg

Iberian ham, chorizo and Cumbre de Trujillo cheese with tomato and olive dressing

Cream of watercress soup

Fresh summer salad with your choice of French dressing with golden rapeseed oil, lemon and parsley cream dressing or olive oil

MAIN

Steam sea bream and salmon with ginger and spring onion, mushroom sauce and char-grilled vegetables

BRITISH AIRWAYS CLASSICS
Seared rib-eye of Herefordshire beef with béarnaise sauce, pont-neuf potatoes and a salad of sun-blushed tomato with French beans

Roast corn-fed chicken with herb cream sauce, spaghetti of vegetables and red chard risotto

Tuna Niçoise salad

BISTRO SELECTION

Penne carbonara with wilted rocket and piquillo peppers

BRITISH AIRWAYS CLASSICS
Roast Meditterranean vegetables on roasted Manoucher bread with Feta and coriander pesto

A selection of biscuits

A selection of cheese and fruit

DESSERT

White chocolate and lemon cake with pistachio

Chocolate panettone bread and butter pudding with vanilla ice cream

CHEESE PLATE

CROPWELL BISHOP STILTON
Stilton is an English cow’s milk, semi-hard, blue, unpressed cheese with a natural brushed rind.

CAMEMBERT
A classic, unpasteurised cow’s milk cheese from the Normandy region, Camembert features and creamy texture and a full flavour.

GERVIK
Made in Cornwall, England, Gervik is an award-winning goat’s milk cheese with a soft texture and a mild flavour

GUBBEEN
This semi-soft cow’s milk cheese has creamy flavours with mushroom and nutty aftertastes.

A basket of fresh fruit

Chocolates

WELCOME TO FIRST

British Airways is pleased to offer you our award winning selection of fine wines and Champagnes. Our Master of Wine has helped us to create today's list, featuring wines from the classic regions of Europe as well as the best of the New World.

Special care has been taken to select wines that will taste their best at altitude, reflecting their regional characteristics that will compliment the fine cuisine onboard.

APERITIF

Kir Royale

CHAMPAGNE

Laurent-Perrier Brut Millesime 2000, Champagne, France

WHITE

Savigny-les-Beaune Premier Cru Hauts Marconnets 2007, Domaine Chanson, Burgundy, France

Cuatro Rayas 2009, Vinedos Centenarios, Rueda, Spain

Petaluma Hanlin Hill Riesling 2008, Clare Valley, Australia

RED

Chateau Cantenac Brown 2004, 3eme Grand Cru Classe Margaux, Bordeaux, France

Dinastia Vivanco Rioja Reservation 2004, Spain

St Hallett Blackwell Shiraz 2006, Barossa Valley, Australia

DESSERT

Chateau de la Chartreuse 2005, Sauternes, Bordeaux, France

Or

Coteaux du Lyon St. Au in Les Varennes 2003, Domaine Cady, Loire, France

Warre's 1992 Colheita Tawny Port
I went for the Iberian ham to start and the sea bream for my main, wanting to try something different, rather than the beef, the safe choice. The purser asked me if I’d like the soup and salad too and I said that I would try to the soup. As before, I wanted to make it to the cheese course.

Whilst I waited for dinner, I pulled out the huge IFE screen and found a film to start watching. I chose ‘Black Swan’ as I had heard so much about it. I found it to be very odd, rather clichéd and actually the basic concept was ripped off from another very popular film (I won’t name it here, to avoid spoiling it for anyone that hasn’t seen it).

I could hear the rattle and clunk of dinner, as people were starting to have their tables laid. Service seemed to start from the back, and was pretty slow. I noticed that people had already finished their starter and there was no sign of my table even being laid up at this point. Seemingly recognising this, the purser told me that my dinner would be out as soon as it was ready, but didn’t give any reason as to why it was taking so long.

40 minutes after taking my order and almost an hour and a half since take off, my table was laid up by the purser. I have to admit that I was quite annoyed at this point, as many people had actually finished eating. Why was I getting served so late? Was it because I had upgraded using miles perhaps? I really don’t know and I didn’t ask, but it really got to me and started to tarnish the wonderful service that I’d been receiving from the purser.

The purser arrived with the amuse bouche and presented it by informing me what it was and what is came with. This evening we it was smoked salmon with lime crème fraiche. One of the other crew members came around to offer bread and I was pleased to see a white crusty roll on offer.

Amuse bouche – smoked salmon with lime crème fraiche

Wow, my spirits instantly lifted, it looked fantastic, and a huge step up presentation wise, from my previous two flights. It tasted great too, with the cool crème fraiche really taking the slight bitterness from the salmon. It was brilliant, it set the tone and was very memorable. I wish that I could actually have this dish again!

Next up was the Iberian ham and chorizo. This too was incredibly well presented and really looked like how I would expect a First class meal to look. Importantly, it was also very flavourful, with all of the different elements bouncing off each other to create unique flavours in the mouth. I almost licked the plate clean!

Iberian ham, chorizo and Cumbre de Trujillo cheese

The soup then followed, although the purser was careful to check with me that I was ready for each course following the previous one.

The soup was thick and creamy. I had been concerned that watercress might be quite a dull flavour, but it wasn’t and indeed it was very tasty and it felt very summery, despite being a thick soup. More bread was offered and I helped myself to another crusty roll.

Cream of watercress soup

The purser came to collect my dish and asked me if I was ready for my main course, which I was.

The sea bream came out shortly afterwards and again, I was highly impressed. The presentation was excellent, what you might expect in a restaurant, with some care and attention very evident.

The fish itself was very well cooked, as were the vegetables, and the sauce was very well paired. Overall, a great dish that exceed my expectations and anything that I had been served previously on a plane.

Sea bream and salmon

I was starting to feel quite full, however, as the purser came to clear away my main, she asked me if I would like to try dessert. I took another look at the menu and chose the white chocolate cake.

It arrived promptly, and I was offered some dessert wine, which I declined. At this point the lights in the cabin were dimmed, which leads me to believe that I was one of the last passengers still eating in the First cabin.

The ‘cake’ was not at all what I expected and was actually packed into a white chocolate shell. It was delicious although the shell was a bit hard and I had to be careful to stop it flying off the plate.

White chocolate and lemon cake

At this point the purser returned and explained that they would have to reset the IFE as other passengers were having issues. She went around and apologised to each passenger individually. Again this shows that she genuinely cared for her passenger’s well being and comfort.

At about 00.40 I had finished dinner and it was time for bed. My table was cleared and I made my way to the bathroom to change into my pyjamas. The bathroom has not really changed much during the New First cabin refit. There is a new light and the wood panelling has gone, but that is about it.

I returned to find that my seat had been made up into a bed, with the same mattress cover and cotton duvet that I’d had on my previous flights. I settled down and was pleased to find that there was indeed more room to manoeuvre and find a comfortable sleeping position.

Bed time
Old Jul 19, 2011, 8:54 am
Original Poster

I slept very comfortably for about 6 hours, which is probably a record for me on an aircraft. I woke up at 7am UK time, which was 1pm Bangkok time. The extra width over the Old First product really helped but I found that I kept brushing against the side table. The design of it convinced me that it should really retract and lower to form a flush sleeping surface, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. The cabin temperature was good and there was no annoying blue light above my head which other posters and commented on previously. Perhaps my aircraft had already been modified to allow this to be turned off at night.

I went to the bathroom to change back into my normal clothes and prepare for breakfast.

Here is the menu:

BREAKFAST

STARTERS

Chilled fruit juice

An energising fruit smoothie

A selection of yoghurts

A selection of cereals

Fresh seasonal fruit plate

A wide selection of breakfast pastries and rolls

MAIN

BRITISH AIRWAYS CLASSICS
Traditional English breakfast of scrambled free-range eggs with grilled bacon, Irish pork and herb sausage, baked Portobello mushroom, hash-brown potatoes, black pudding and baked beans

Smoked salmon with asparagus and scrambled eggs

Pecan pancakes with blueberry compote

BEVERAGES

WE CAN OFFER YOU A SELECTION OF THE FOLLOWING

Teas - Traditional English Breakfast, Darjeeling, Earl Grey, Pure Green, Pure Camomile, Pure Peppermint, Lemon and Ginger or Blackcurrant, Ginseng and Vanilla

Coffee - Freshly roasted and ground, decaffeinated, espresso or cappuccino

OR YOU CAN ENJOY A QUICK CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST TO MAXIMISE YOUR SLEEP TIME ONBOARD
The breakfast menu was actually a little different from my BKK to LHR leg, with a more elaborate, and gourmet style English breakfast on offer.

The purser came over to my seat and asked if I would like some breakfast. Had she even had a rest? I decided to order some cereal to start, followed by the full English (there was really no other choice in my mind). A few minutes later my table was laid and the cereal arrived. I was asked if I wanted anything to drink and I chose an apple juice. The purser mentioned that it wasn’t very cold and asked if would like her to put some ice in it to cool it down. Again, another example of personal service.

I noticed that the lady in 2A had started to put her blind up, so I did the same. The New First cabin is fitted with an electronic blind, rather than the individual window shades in the old cabin. The blind can be silently raised or lowered by using a control next to the seat controls, next to the side table.

Cornflakes

I started to watch Black Swan again, since I didn’t get the chance to finish it the night before, with the IFE issues.

Breakfast started at around 08.10 UK time, 2.10pm BKK time. The cereal was fine, the milk was chilled which was great. I didn’t get offered a breakfast pastry though, I would have liked a croissant. I’m sure that this was just an oversight.

The main course arrived swiftly after I’d finished my cereal and it was a sight to behold. This really was a step up from Old First. What I had in front of me was a proper English breakfast. Now, several people (probably myself included) would say that you can only get a proper English breakfast at a local greasy café, and you are probably right, but that just wouldn’t be First class would it? What was served was the gourmet equivalent.

Full English

It was really very good. The presentation was excellent and importantly, it had proper sausages, proper bacon and baked beans. The eggs were fluffy and creamy too. It was great. I’ve certainly not had better in the air.

After that was devoured, I spent the remaining time watching the rest of ‘Black Swan’, finding that it wasn’t getting any better and then writing a few more notes for this trip report.

At 2.35pm BKK time, the First officer gave his ’40 minutes to landing’ speech and I started to pack everything up in preparation for our arrival into Bangkok, including filling out the landing card.

Quick video of the NF cabin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3g_dTcgr98

Post breakfast

We started our descent and 20 minutes later we made a slightly bumpy landing, with lots of vibration at 15.20pm local time, 5 minutes past our scheduled arrival time. We had a very quick taxi to our stand and the dual air bridges were attached shortly afterwards.

As everyone started to make their way off the aircraft I tried to grab a couple more snaps in the daylight.

View from the buddy seat again

The cabin, looking rearwards

The cabin, looking forwards

I gathered my things, thanked and said good bye to the purser and then made my way off the aircraft and out into the vastness of the terminal.

Verdict

This was one of the easiest flights that I’ve ever done. It all went so quickly. Before I knew it we were starting our descent! The food was fantastic, yes, not just ‘good’ but, fantastic. The seat was comfortable, the IFE was large, although low resolution, the bed set up was very comfortable and I slept very well. The crew situation was a little weird, it was almost as if the purser and fallen out with the other two crew and wasn’t speaking to them, very odd. However, I cannot praise the purser enough for the stellar service that she provided. I sent a ‘well done’ into BA as soon as I got to the hotel.

There were a couple of niggles though. It really annoyed me that I was served so late compared with everyone else. I’d really like to know why that was. It made me feel like I was being singled out and treated differently, in a negative way.

My only regret is that I wonder if I got the most out of the experience. It all went by so quickly and I still didn’t manage to get to the cheese course! I suppose that this was what First class travel is really about, moving effortlessly to your destination. In that respect, this flight was a triumph.

New First vs. Old First

I’m so glad that I’ve now had the chance to experience both New and Old First class products with BA. I’m also happy that it happened in the right order, Old first and then New.

So what are my overall thoughts on New vs. Old? Well, I find New First to be better in almost every way. The seat is wider which is better for relaxing and sleeping. More leg room when sleeping makes it easier to get comfortable and settle down more quickly. I really liked the various lighting options, especially the dimmable side light. The table was much better, more sturdy and solid and being able to fold it in half was great for working and the electronic blind was also a great innovation. The catering was better on this flight, but that could just be a coincidence as the menu presentation, crockery and cutlery were the same on all of the flights.

However, there is something missing from New First which Old First has, the feel of luxury and class. There is something about the overuse of blue lighting and dark textures that makes New First feel less luxurious and cosy. The suede covered side board and light, soft fabrics of Old First make it feel more welcoming than the new product. I think that this could be rectified by changing the lighting to white or cream, to add a bit more warmth back into the overall presentation.

If I had a choice, it would be New First every time.

Last edited by matthandy; Jul 29, 2011 at 2:10 am Reason: Added video
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
and still you didn't get to the cheese

Fabulous photos Matt. I am pleased the food offerings seem to be improving, things are looking up for my next First in 5 weeks.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 1:26 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Thanks for the amazing trip reports I might change my seat now, it must get so irritating with people using the magazine racks!

It's a shame about the crew not working well together.

Last edited by GodAtum; Jul 19, 2011 at 1:56 pm
Old Jul 19, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: HHonors - Diamond, AA - EXP
Probably shouldn't have read this on a WW flight from CDG to EMA, made my centre of 3 seat feel even more like battery hen cage! Great write up though, New First (or any first for that matter) something to dream of
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:00 am

Thanks for the final part, I've been looking forward to it! Certainly looks like the way to go and I'm glad you enjoyed the whole experience.

Thank you for the time and effort you put into these reports, I love reading them and I go back to old ones from time to time, mainly to enjoy the photos but they are such a good read they're worth looking at again.

Do you have anymore trips planned, just wondering when we can look forward to the next TR!

EDIT - Just realised this isn't the last part, wondered why the arrival into 'Sydney' 15.20!

Last edited by ellielovesem; Jul 20, 2011 at 2:06 am
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: BA Gold
Matt i salute you ^

I have commented a few times before on how good your TR's are but i really am loving this one! Excellent writing style! Excellent pictures! Just Great!

New First looks fantastic! I love how it blends modern contemporary style with British elegance and sophistication

The food looks truly very good ^

Nice 1 matthandy.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
I’d arranged with a mate to stay at his flat, near Greenwich, that night, so after we had eaten, we made our way to Westminster pier to catch the last ferry of the night. It’s quite a fun experience to be blasting down the Thames on one of the fast clipper ferries at night.

Good morning, and it was pretty sunny outside, typical, just as I was leaving.
My friend’s flat has 180 degree views over Canary Wharf and Greater London as well as close proximity to the river and Greenwich. It’s a pretty good location actually.

View over Canary Wharf
Sounds like a great trip, and is definitely a great TR - like the fact that there are lots of photos! I know there aren't any bonus points for recognising this one, but I'd say that it is looking over South Dock Marina in Rotherhithe - just inside Southwark rather than Greenwich . An often overlooked part of London that I sometimes call home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.