FLIGHT#37 LAN#570 Santiago, Chile – Bogota, Columbia 767 Biz with Pics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
FLIGHT#37 LAN#570 Santiago, Chile – Bogota, Columbia 767 Biz with Pics

FLIGHT#37
LAN #570
Santiago, Chile (SCL) – Bogota, Colombia (BOG)

Date: June 5, 2011
Departure 09:35
Arrival: 14:30 (Actual 15:00)
Length: 05:55 (Actual 06:25)
Miles flown since start of trip: 73,949 mi.
Aircraft: Boeing 767-300
Seats: BUSINESS 3HJL

I can’t believe that we are already at flight #37 of our adventure of six continents. It looks like we will be taking 45 total flights by the end including getting home after the round-the-world ticket ends in London. At this point they are all planned, booked and paid for. We arrive home July 31 and I thought we were going to have a quiet rest of the summer.

Then Terry announces that his best friend from Hong Kong is getting married in Vancouver, Canada on August 14. That means we’ll be home for a total of two weeks before taking our next international trip. WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END!?!?

At age forty-five, I have begun to slow do just a wee bit. For example it has been years since I stayed up all night. When I am out with friends, I usually get tired at some point and go home. Since I do not do drugs, my body lets me know when it is done. I like it this way.

Unfortunately on our last night in Chile, my body forgot to tell me that it was tired. I almost missed this flight up to Colombia. I sure made my husband Terry worry a bit. Oops!

A group of us had gotten back from the clubs and were sitting around the dining room table at a Rodrigo’s house having a nice glass of Chilean wine. I finally thought to ask the time and it turned out to be 6:15 am. WHAT?!?!? Where did the night go? It is always a good sign that you are having fun when the time flies by. But we were supposed to leave our hotel packed and ready to go at 6:45!

I said quick goodbyes and was instantly in a taxi. Luckily the hotel was only about seven blocks away so I arrived in no time. As I opened the hotel room door, all the lights were on, all our bags had been packed and my boys were about ready. I had intentionally left my iPhone at home so I would not lose it. Terry did not know how to call me. He forgot that Rodrigo’s phone number was in our address book.

After having been drinking for much of the night, I was still slightly drunk. Luckily I had been pacing myself or this could have been much worse. By the time we all were packed into a taxi, my eyelids were feeling very heavy and I slept during the entire journey to the airport.

Terry had taken full charge at this point. I am always the one in charge especially when traveling. Today he stepped up since I was a little tired. He was great!

CHECK-IN:
I had tried to check us in via LAN.com but never succeeded. I would always get stuck on the seat selection screen. Ironically we already had the seats assigned but alas I could not get beyond this screen. I got further on my mobile phone but it insisted on reassigning us seats in the last row which I did not want.

We had trouble finding the Business Class check-in for international flights. Finally Terry saw a sign at the far end of the terminal. They could improve their signage for their customers. A nice private area provided six check-in desks, three of which were open at this early hour.

The Premium Check-in Area

Terry did everything: gave our passports, answered all questions and checked the baggage tags. I was proud of him! I stood nearby snapping a few pictures and trying not to fall asleep.

Preaching to the choir: an ad in the Business Class check-in area

Terry handles the entire check-in process

LOUNGE:
Luckily there was an entrance to security through a side door and soon we were looking for the LAN Salon VIP. From a previous visit, I remembered there are two VIP lounges for LAN. One is bigger than the other. In my half asleep state, ANY lounge would be fine.

Salon VIP = Business Class Lounge

The lounge awaits beyond the glass doors

We entered the first one we saw. I am amazed to see how many photos I took in my exhausted state. The lounge was spacious and had some sandwiches on offer for breakfast.

Our seating area

Food and beverage offerings

Sandwiches, cookies and pastries

Nice mini-sandwiches

Cereal and yogurt

Every lounge in the world should offer electrical outlet for different plugs

Work cubicles

The computer stations

The lung capacity reduction room

I was very happy to find the Rest Area. It was empty and I tucked myself in for a nice rest until they called my flight. It was divine. All lounges should offer a quiet, rest area for those passengers who forgot to go to bed.

The entrance to the Rest Area in the Salon VIP

One of eight recliners in the Rest Area
nequine likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
BOARDING:
The boarding announcement woke me from a deep sleep. Also Corbin came running in “FA!! It’s time to go!!!

Our LAN 767-300 waiting to go to Bogota, Colombia and then continuing to Miami, Florida, USA

A smoggy day at SCL

My boys on our way to the other end of South America

At the gate, Premium passengers were already boarding to the left of the podium. We got on quickly and I stowed all my bags. Next I put my seat in its flat position and slept until we left. At one point the flight attendant got out a duvet and tucked me in. Nice touch. I heard the pre-departure drinks being offered but I was in no mood to do anything but sleep.

IN-FLIGHT SERVICE:

As soon as those wheels left the ground, my seat was a bed once again. I told Corbin to wake me for the meal service. I am still enough of a frequent flyer geek that I do not want to miss the service.

About thirty minutes later Corbin woke me saying they were laying out the tablecloths. Food time! I had seen the menu and it looked delicious. I was very surprised when the flight attendant put a plate of sandwiches in front of me and asked me what I would like to drink. WHAT? Where was my lunch? Then I figured out that it was only 10:00 am and this must be the pre-meal. I ordered a nice mug of chamomile tea to help me sleep a bit longer. One sandwich was nice ciabatta like bread with jamon serrano. The other had goat cheese, pesto and chicken. I ate it all because I wasn’t sure at this point when they would be serving lunch.

Is lunch coming? It turned out it was just a snack. Then lunch came much later.

The snack they offered at 10:00 am, just after takeoff

With my belly full, my eyes soon became heavy again and I slept for a few more hours. I really like the LAN flat seat. It one of the most comfortable beds in the sky. I would have been miserable in an economy class seat.

I woke up with two hours and thirty minutes left of flying time. I still did not see lunch so I started an Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston movie, Just Go With It. Corbin had watched it while I was sleeping and gave it a great recommendation.

My son has no taste. It was romantic comedy at its worst. I guess that taste develops over time. At two hours out, the lunch meal service finally began.

LAN offers the entire meal on one tray. The starter is always a salad. I wish that it was a more interesting meal. I will say that the food is decent and I have never left hungry. Our main course choices today were Wagyu beef, ravioli or a turkey stew. The three Haley Boys all chose the Wagyu. We like our meat. It was very well cooked and a winner! Luckily Corbin could not finish his so Terry and I both got to finish his portion.

My boys enjoying the LAN lunch service

A close up of the lunch

The cover to the Business Class menu

The lunch menu served two hours before landing

The international selection of beverages

The cover to the wine list

Proper Champers

Red wines

White wines

Croft Port

I still could not think about alcohol so I stuck to my rehydration formula of water, water and water. It served me well because by the end of the meal, I was feeling very good.

The flight crew was very nice on this flight. Starting from tucking me in before takeoff, they sought to please me. The funny thing was that I kept switching between English and Spanish without realizing it. The flight attendant would ask me something in English and I would answer in Spanish and vice-a-versa. She finally asked if I was Spanish and apologized for speaking to me in English. I told her not to worry and that it all works!

LAN is not an airline that addresses each passenger by their name. I am okay with this. I have never been impressed that flight attendants could read my name of the manifest. A warm smile goes a lot further than a forced reading any day.

I finished “Just Go With It” and I wanted to poke my eyes out. Luckily my tray was already cleared so all the sharp objects were gone. I watched a some TV shows to cleanse my pallet. LAN’s monitors are bigger than my laptop so I did not mind using their system. As I have mentioned before they shut off all entertainment around fifteen minutes before landing. I find this annoying when Emirates leaves it on until you are at the gate.

A view of the LAN Business Class seats in 2-2-2 configuration.

A nice sized screen to keep us entertained.

LANDING:

We were one of the first off the plane and soon we were chatting with the passport guy. He was exceptionally friendly including ending our talk with “Welcome to Colombia.” He was probably required to say this but he seemed like he meant it. Good on him! Our priority tagged bags were some of the first off and even the customs agent was very friendly with us. It was a wonderful impression of Colombians.

My only preconceptions about Colombians are that all the women are like Sofia Vergara from Modern Family and all the men are like Juan Valdez, the coffee guy. Let’s see how close I am to the truth!

We followed the signs to connecting flights and quickly found a HUGE line. Luckily we figured out it was for Avianca. The Copa Airlines line was empty! Yeah!!

A full report of the Copa Airlines flight from Bogotá is forthcoming.

Our 767 continues on to Miami. Say hello to the States for me!

OVERALL:
LAN did very well. I was not in top form at the start of the trip and they provided me with a comfortable place to sleep both in the lounge and on the plane. The duvets are very comfortable and must have a high thread count because they remind me of the Mandarin Oriental sheets. We had great service, good food, good entertainment and an ontime arrival into Bogotá.

We have three more LAN flights to go before arriving in Los Angeles, California. I look forward to all our time in LAN’s hands.

We have now arrived in the last country of our twelve month/twelve country adventure. It is all coming to a close so quickly. We all look forward to exploring this new country so different than the others we have visited.

Previous reports in this year of travel:
My Son’s Fifth Grade Year, 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents, 16 countries
FLIGHT#36: LAN#842 Easter Island-Santiago 767 Biz with Video & Pics
FLIGHT#35: LAN#814 Santiago-Easter Island 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#34: Air Canada#412 Buenos Aires - Santiago 767 Biz with Pics
FLIGHT#32: Emirates A380 First Class AKL-SYD
FLIGHT#31: Emirates #412 A380 First Class SYD-AKL Shower Pics/Video
FLIGHT#28: QF32 A380 Biz Class & QF/CX SIN Lounges with photos
FLIGHT#27: Five OW Lounges & JL 719 NRT-SIN Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#23: BKK CX/QF/BA Lounges CX751 BKK-DEL Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#26: Delhi Green Lounge & JL 740 Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#22: SGN International Sasco Lounge & TG 551 Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#20: SGN Dom Sasco Lounge, VN452 SGN-NHA Biz Class and Sheraton Nha Trang
FLIGHT#19: BKK Royal First Lounge & LH772 BKK-SGN in First Class with photos
FLIGHT#18: TG242 KBV-BKK in Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#17: TG245 BKK-KVG in Biz Class with Photos
FLIGHT#16: THE CABIN & CX751 HKG-BKK in Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#15: CX748 JNB-HKG Biz Class with photos
nequine likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:23 pm

Programs: QF, EK
Thanks Olafman, for another great installment of your trip. I have been Flyer Stalking you for some time, and will also be sad when the adventure is over. Have fun in Columbia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.