Around the world I go...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:07 pm
Formerly known as rwk32882
Original Poster

Programs: IHTFP, AS 75k, AA EXP, AC 75k, ex-UA 1K, Ex-BD *G (RIP), SPG Gold
Around the world I go...

Hi folks and greetings from Easter Island,

Just thought that I would put the word out about a 9-12 month RTW trip that I am currently undertaking. I feel deeply indebted to the FlyerTalk community for teaching me the in's and out's of FF programs. In many ways it is these tricks that enabled the trip. Strangely, I miss the life of mileage running every other weekend to feed my mileage addiction even though I am now traveling full time!

I am keeping a blog of my travels which I thought some of you might like to follow. I won't be posting too much about FF topics, however, there is one recent post about a rather crazy BA redemption on LAN Chile that I pulled off (7,500 miles flown, two stopovers and an open jaw) that you might find entertaining.

At the moment I am touring S. America. I started in glamorous Asunción, Paraguay and should end up somewhere at the north end of the continent by June. After that, I will likely be heading eastward and might attempt a crossing of Asia from Turkey, across the -stans, and into Mongolia and China.

www.roamingryan.com

Cheers,
Ryan
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Very organized blog and great set of photos you have there! Do keep us posted on your journey!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Interesting read so far. What's your route? I did see your map but don't see your intended route for the overall trip. Keep us update if you can with a "bump" when you update the blog if it's not too much of a hassle.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:46 pm
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a lonely trip reports & photos, too. I'm glad you have a great tours in Chile. How is your tour guide doing? I am so impressed that you went on the top of mountains. Wow! Unbelievable! Someday if we could go there. If we have enough money that I will fly to Chile. I would loves to see it. I would prefer if we can stays there for a weeks. I want to learns how to exploring for me.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armattheus
Interesting read so far. What's your route? I did see your map but don't see your intended route for the overall trip. Keep us update if you can with a "bump" when you update the blog if it's not too much of a hassle.
My exact route is unknown at this point. Instead of booking RTW tickets I am piecing things together with one-way award tickets (primarily using BD miles). To get to South America we flew AC long-haul from YYZ to GRU and then flew PZ from GRU to ASU. Many hours on long-distance buses carried us around Argentina and, as you saw on the blog, we are using LAN Chile to get around the continent's longest country. No doubt lots of fun/uncomfortable bus rides lie ahead in Bolivia!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Ryan,

Awesome photos, truly superb.

Love the progress round the globe so far.

^
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Very cool stuff. As a fellow 20 something travel addict, I always think about doing a full year long trip, but then remember that 3 month trips are usually sufficient to wear myself down and get sick . Where are you planning on going in Africa?
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

It has been a few months since the thread was active. Since I just put up a trip report for a couple of fun flights on Z8 to RBQ (kudos to those familiar with those codes!), I thought I would bump the thread.

I am back in the states now after completing the first leg of the trip - 4 months and 4 days in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay and Paraguay. I still have about two weeks worth of travel to post about (the last half of Bolivia) but those will be going up over the next couple of weeks. If you want to find posts about specific places then I would recommend checking out the map which has hyperlinks to the posts.

The next leg of the trip will kick off in a couple weeks after my little bro gets hitched. I don't know where the winds of award availability will take me but I do have a shortlist of targets now: Morocco, Sri Lanka, Palau, Turkey, Borneo, Nambia. That narrows it down a bit, right?

www.roamingryan.com

The Magnificent Terminal @ RBQ:

Last edited by Roaming Ryan; Jun 10, 2011 at 7:38 pm
Old Jun 10, 2011, 5:02 pm

Location: airports: SFO (lots) OAK (when possible); live: Concord, CA
Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rwk32882
It has been a few months since the thread was active. Since I just put up a trip report for a couple of fun flights on Z8 to RBQ (kudos to those familiar with those codes!), I thought I would bump the thread.

I am back in the states now after completing the first leg of the trip - 4 months and 4 days in Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay and Paraguay. I still have about two weeks worth of travel to post about (the last half of Bolivia) but those will be going up over the next couple of weeks. If you want to find posts about specific places then I would recommend checking out the map which has hyperlinks to the posts.

The next leg of the trip will kick off in a couple weeks after my little bro gets hitched. I don't know where the winds of award availability will take me but I do have a shortlist of targets now: Morocco, Sri Lanka, Palau, Turkey, Borneo, Nambia. That narrows it down a bit, right?

www.roamingryan.com
Have enjoyed following your blog especially the parts about Patagonia and Easter Island as I am planning to visit both next year.

Just got back from 10 days in Turkey, the only one of your next-leg candidates I've been to. It was spectacular ... so +1 in favor of including it in your itinerary!

SEA2BA
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEA2BA
Have enjoyed following your blog especially the parts about Patagonia and Easter Island as I am planning to visit both next year.

Just got back from 10 days in Turkey, the only one of your next-leg candidates I've been to. It was spectacular ... so +1 in favor of including it in your itinerary!

SEA2BA
Glad to hear that you are enjoying the blog. I am very excited about the aspect of going to Turkey for some more in-depth exploration. I have taken a couple of short trips but haven't made it too far from Istanbul. I wouldn't mind crossing the country to work in Armenia and Azerbaijan as well!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Sri Lankan Trains - 3rd Class

I just put up a trip report for a short train journey I completed in Sri Lanka a couple weeks back. I thought it would serve as a nice contrast to all the first class trip reports being posted to the thread! Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some SQ F or Lufty FCT but there are plenty of cheaper ways to have fun on the road without status or miles.

In less than a week I will leave sweltering Cambodia and head to Mongolia for a 16-day stay. Forecasts this week are showing lows around -10C so I guess summer is over! After two weeks there I am headed to Palau for a short visit on the way to the Philippines. Gotta love BMI miles and the reach of the Star Alliance!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Hi folks,

It has been a while since I bumped the thread. Since I just put up a post concerning my trip with LH on their new 747 F product I thought it was a good time. This was the first flight of an 8-segment UA Japan->Namibia redemption covering five Star Alliance carriers. Not bad for a 60k redemption! There is also another post about how this award ticket came to be.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Very good blog, trip reports and pictures! Love the contrast in traveling styles
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Very good blog, trip reports and pictures! Love the contrast in traveling styles
Thanks for the feedback! I'm with you on the contrasts. First class to youth hostel and back again - that's the best way to do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.