Wiki Posts
Search

My first pure MR: DL to JFK-CPH-JFK

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
My first pure MR: DL to JFK-CPH-JFK

I wrote this on my blog, and so welcome you to read it there. I know there was at least one FlyerTalker on the return flight, so I'd be curious to hear what his perception may have been (though I do think he was lucky enough to sleep most of the way through).

Flights were:
3/19: DL 0119 JFK to CPH
3/20: DL 0118 CPH to JFK

The full review
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:58 pm

Well written. And I share your observations about on-board service: On the few times I've flown DL, it's been in BE and I had the same experience about attitude -- some FAs really care and others won't or can't.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Nice report- I did JFK-ARN this past weekend and my experience was similar. However, I built in an overnight in Stockholm, which I'm glad I did. I'll be doing Copenhagen in a couple weeks and I'll look out for bizarre pilot announcements
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Q: What's the definition of a masochist?
A: Delta Sky Miles member

Seriously, I don't know how you guys do this. But very nice report by the way.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Nice report- I did JFK-ARN this past weekend and my experience was similar. However, I built in an overnight in Stockholm, which I'm glad I did. I'll be doing Copenhagen in a couple weeks and I'll look out for bizarre pilot announcements
Thanks.

Yeah, I don't think I'm sold on the idea of a pure MR as a way to pass time I do like the travel aspect, and would prefer to stay a day or two, at least, in the country.

I'm going to ARN in early April myself, so I'll be expecting a repeat performance from DL. The two things that I have working in my favor: noise canceling headphones and an iPad. I had 6 episodes of Mad Men to keep me company, so lack of AVOD wasn't as brutal. And the headphones are almost a must for any flight. I am instantly 50% more comfortable when I cut out the noise from around me.

Question: is the BE product, seat-wise, on DL the same across all of their international planes? For some reason, I feel like the seats they have on their 777s (from when I flew in BE in '07) were a bit more impressive than what I saw on this 757.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by gosha83
I know they're rolling these "upgrades" out, but it's 2011, and the 757s aren't a legacy of Northwest that have to be retrofitted.
Actually, the aircraft you describe is a PMNW aircraft (internally designated 75A). DL's version of this ship (75E) is the aircraft type currently flying the transcon JFK flights, and several international flights as well. This explains the old overhead bin doors and lack of AVOD.

There are a huge number of planes to retrofit from the PMNW fleet (of course, they also have to get through the huge fleet of PMDL 763ERs as well).
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:49 pm

Thank you for an insightful report, and I am shocked but not surprised at the poor quality of Delta and/or other US major airlines. I agree with your assessment especially how the US airlines can serve as the ambassador to the country and make a good impression, and how the poor experience of Delta, combining with the poor state of JFK T-2/3 complex, "I don't care" Delta ground staff especially at JFK, and the hostile INS/custom agents, really turn off people and really slow down our tourism number. With a favorable US/Euro exchange rate for Europeans, we should be able to absorb more of them, if we are friendlier.

Well those former NWA Boeing 757s are at least comfortably spaced in Y. To compensate for weight, NWA allows a few more inches in coach on these narrow birds with less seats. But of course the normal ex-TWA 757s are more high tech and you have the PTV to distract you from the poor offering.

Thanks again and have a safe trip to ARN as well!

Carfield
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by gosha83
Thanks.

Yeah, I don't think I'm sold on the idea of a pure MR as a way to pass time I do like the travel aspect, and would prefer to stay a day or two, at least, in the country.

I'm going to ARN in early April myself, so I'll be expecting a repeat performance from DL. The two things that I have working in my favor: noise canceling headphones and an iPad. I had 6 episodes of Mad Men to keep me company, so lack of AVOD wasn't as brutal. And the headphones are almost a must for any flight. I am instantly 50% more comfortable when I cut out the noise from around me.

Question: is the BE product, seat-wise, on DL the same across all of their international planes? For some reason, I feel like the seats they have on their 777s (from when I flew in BE in '07) were a bit more impressive than what I saw on this 757.
The BE on these planes is the recliner styler- definitely not their top notch product. Most of the 777s are being retrofitted with the lie-flats. None of the DL 757s have the lie flats.

I agree with the Bose QC15, iPad (with Angry Birds), glass of red wine and a 2mg Lunesta are the only ways that I survived the flight.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:56 pm

How did you only pay $150?

AA, UA, CO in Y to Europe are the pits. What keeps me flying with them are the Frequent Flyer programs which are the best vs. those of European airlines.

The DL frequent flyer program is the worst. Though they no longer cancel the miles which is a somewhat +.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
How did you only pay $150?

AA, UA, CO in Y to Europe are the pits. What keeps me flying with them are the Frequent Flyer programs which are the best vs. those of European airlines.

The DL frequent flyer program is the worst. Though they no longer cancel the miles which is a somewhat +.
DL fat fingered many a mistake fare a few weeks ago, to both CPH and ARN. There's a thread in the Mileage Run Discussion forum that offers the blow-by-blow account of it going down. Many folks here scored $150 or $179 r/t tickets to Sweden and Belgium.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:56 am

Darn. I always wanted to go to CPH and Stockholm.

Is there a specific section where you find comments about fare errors? It happens once in a while and I always miss them

Was it on the DELTA section? I never heard of a "Mileage Run" section. Is that what it is called?

Thanks.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:14 pm

Is there a specific section where you find comments about fare errors? It happens once in a while and I always miss them

Was it on the DELTA section? I never heard of a "Mileage Run" section. Is that what it is called?

Thanks.
I usually feature good MRs on my blog, if interested you can sign up for my RSS feed so you are notified when there are new posts.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 4:38 pm

Fantastic. Thank you. I always miss these things.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
Here's the actual link to the deal: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...cph-320ai.html

There is a forum called "Mileage Run Deals" here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

That's where most of the deals get posted.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Thanks for the trip report! it was very interesting to see that you bought a 24 hour pass into the city, but you probably only used it twice... Wasn't it cheaper to just buy two one-ways than a whole 24 hour transportation pass? I'm on a delta flight right now and the attitude of the FA's are very not up to par with AA's standards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.