FLIGHT#23: BKK CX & QF/BA Lounges & CX 751 BKK-DEL Business Class with photos

Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat

FLIGHT#23
Cathay Pacific #751
Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) – Delhi, India (DEL)
Date: Jan 2, 2010

Departure: 17:25
Arrival: 20:40
Length: 04:35
Miles flown since start of trip: 41,014 mi.
Aircraft: Airbus 340-300
Seats: BUSINESS 17K, 18K, 19K

Our route from Bangkok, Thailand to Delhi, India

We are about to start month seven of our amazing year of travel and exploration. We are calling this year Fifth Grade Around The World because our son would be in the fifth grade if he was in school. Instead we decided to sell our possessions and spend the year exploring six continents. The big Flyertalk report on the whole year can be found here.

Also we have a website: http://fifthgradearoundtheworld.com

CHECK-IN:
We had arrived at BKK from a TG flight from Ho Chi Ming City (see the Flyertalk trip report here).

We followed the signs for transit and finally found the Cathay Pacific Transit desk. She told us that she could only check-in people for the morning flight to HKG so we should continue to the CX lounge and they would sort us out there. WHY IS GETTING A BOARDING PASS SO DIFFICULT IN PERSON WHEN IT CAN BE OBTAINED ONLINE HOURS BEFORE?

Now at this point I have to complain a bit. CX is one of the few airlines that I know that only allows online check-in for passengers that have booked directly with them. Our Oneworld RTW ticket started with BA so they are the issuing ticket holder. I couldn’t use online check-in because the ticket number began with 125- instead of the CX or KA codes. With other airlines I just need my PNR and my name. Thus CX does not allow me to online check-in. What the heck? It’s a royal pain not to do the online checkin. CX needs to change this.

LOUNGE:
So we show up at the CX lounge and we tell her that we don’t have any boarding passes and that we are going to Delhi. She simply welcomes us into the lounge without checking any of our credentials. She says that we will get our boarding passes at 1:30.

CX Business Class Lounge Entrance

A seating area with tarmac views

More views

So we entered the lounge which was not very full. They had a flight going off to Hong Kong in a couple of hours but we beat most of those people in.

Terry chose a nice seating area on the far left side. It was quiet and had a nice view of the tarmac. We immediately checked out the food and beverage options. Why we did this I’ll never know. We had just been in a great lounge and then served a full meal on our flight from Ho Chi Ming City.

I’m like Pavlov’s dog, enter a CX lounge, look for Dim Sum. And dim sum I did find. I ate a lovely pork bao EVEN THOUGH I WASN’T HUNGRY. They also served a lovely fresh squeezed orange juice. All of us picked up some snacks because they were there!

CX’s famous lounge dim sum

Pork bao, noodles and mini-shrimp sandwich

Lots of Thai sweets

CX mini sandwiches and dessert

CX Beverage bar

CX offers free wifi without the need of a password. The speed was decent and I was able to download a couple of TV shows from my home computer. We could see the HKG bound airplane out the lounge window and soon it filled up a bit in the lounge. A loud, boisterous group of older Americans dominated our area until they left. My countrymen can sure talk loudly!

A view of the computer stations

Around 1:30pm I took our passports up to the lounge desk and she said she would check us in and bring us our boarding passes. Strangely about twenty minutes later an attendant approached me and asked if we flew in with Thai in economy or business class! I responded that it was business and she left. I assume they were concerned if the luggage was tagged so it would come off first. Around this time the lounge had cleared out and we were alone except for another gentleman.

After getting the boarding pass, it was time to lounge hop. The QF/BA lounge is not far away so off we went. It was entirely empty too so we found nice seating area that was fairly secluded.

BA/QF Business Lounge Entrance

A lovely display of orchids and a garden view

View down the lounge

The food offerings were less Asian and more varied than in the CX lounge. My first choice was the make your own Caesar salad including parmesan cheese, croutons and bacon. Yummy. I had three servings of this salad. It had been a while since I had had a Caesar.

Caesar and champers

The other offerings included Parma ham, pasta salad, pita wraps, tomato salad, chicken drumsticks, steak skewers, sandwiches, cheese and fresh fruit. All my family liked the QF/BA lounge better because of the better variety of food.

Chicken drumette and beef-kabab

Brownies and crackers

A nice variety of food on offer

Beverages

The wifi speed in the lounge went down to almost zero so I left my family and returned to the CX.

At 17:05 they called the flight so I ran by the BA lounge to get my family who was in the middle of an episode of The Graham Norton Show. They packed up all the electronics and we made our way down to gate F6.

Last edited by olafman; Jan 18, 2011 at 4:57 am
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:42 am
Original Poster

BOARDING:
The gate area looked like a zoo but a Cathay Pacific agent was holding a lovely sign inviting Business Class passengers to board. We entered and turned left half way down the jetway to the front door of our Airbus 340-300. The ISM, CX’s version of a purser, greeted us and I immediately liked her. She was genuinely warm and friendly.

This aircraft has the left aisle which has two sides of seats that feed into it and the right aisle which is more private because only one side of seats face it. All of our seats were on the right aisle near the back of the business class section.

Almost immediately OJ, water and champagne were offered. I chose champagne again. I wasn’t going anywhere for the next four hours! Next a hot towel arrived at my seat. Two more towels were offered throughout the flight.

As soon as we sat down, we noticed a woman who was clearly tipsy had a seat in the center section in the middle of the cabin. She spoke very loudly and was anxious to chat with all the other passengers around her. Since she was standing up, her voice carried throughout the cabin and soon we knew all about her vacation to Thailand with four other families, the villa they rented and how Thailand is an amazing vacation destination. After those around her started to ignore her she moved to the front of the right aisle chatting loudly with more “new” friends.

By this point, boarding was complete and the PA was asking everyone to be seated so they could shut the door. Ms. Tipsy BC Lady would have NONE OF THAT. Finally, the lovely ISM very clearly but politely asked her to take her seat. The best part was she added “Do you remember where your seat is?” Perfect comment. As the ISM walked by me, I winked at her and said “Good luck with that one.” Sadly the drama ended there as the passenger fell asleep into a drunken slumber during takeoff.

I was surprised that thirty minutes passed before the flight attendants started to move around. It’s not like there were any issues with weather or turbulence. Normally, they are up and about quite quickly. They also didn’t turn on the Studio CX entertainment system during this first half hour.

MEAL:
CX only uses one cart for the business class service on the 340-300. They go down the left aisle and then finally back up the right. It means the service is very slow especially if you are seated on the right hand side. Forty-five minutes into the flight I finally had my glass of champagne, water and almonds.

Champers and nibblies

A lovely Chinese man and a friendly Indian woman served us throughout the service. Both were great and seemed to be enjoying themselves. They served our first course of salad and marinated seafood. It was fine but nothing special.

Garlic bread and marinated seafood salad

Later when they came by with the trolley of mains, they had run out of the veggie option that was listed in the menu. Instead she had the other two mains or a veggie option from economy. She said she had eaten the veggie main before and it was very good. So that’s what I chose and was very happy. Normally I would have opted for a business class main over an economy main but I knew that she wouldn’t steer me wrong!

Paneer and veggie curry main with yogurt and pickled lime

The cheese course was good but I was getting a bit full at that point. The port helped all of it go down more easily! I passed entirely on the fruit and dessert courses but I got a picture of my son’s plates.

Cheese und crackers

Cheese tart and fresh fruit

Menu:
Starters:
Thai marinated seafood
Seasonal salad with raspberry vinaigrette

Main Courses:
Thai poached chicken with chicken flavoured jasmine rice and kailan
Pan-fried garoupa with black bean sauce, steamed jasmine rice and oriental vegetables
Vegetable jalfrezi, jeera pulao, moon dal – Stir fried vegetables with onions and capsicum, cumin basmati rice and split yellow lentils served with Indian style spicy pickles and yoghurt with cucumber

Cheese and Dessert:
Cheese Selection
Fresh seasonal fruit
Mascarpone cheese tart with berry compote and vanilla sauce

Tea and Coffee

Praline

Champagne:
Billecart-Salmon Brut Champagne

White Wines:
Drouet Freres Le Mont Fleuri Sancerre 2009
Next of Kin Margaret River Chardonnay 2008

Red Wines:
RockBare McLaren Vale Shiraz 2008
Lionel Osmin Haut Capitole Fronton 2007

Port:
Dow’s Late Bottled Vintage Port 2005

Overall, the meal was above average thanks to the delicious main. I just wish they would come by more often to refresh the beverages.

During the meal, I watch “The Social Network” about Facebook. It was a good movie that fit my mood well.

SEAT:
Much has been written about the CX coffin seat. It’s fine for me but my hubby says that it’s a bit tight for him being a bigger boy. Corbin and I both commented that we sure like that the video screen is close to your face like on BA.

My boys

Later in the flight the Purser stopped by to officially welcome us on board. She loved that our son was already a Oneworld Sapphire along with us. She asked about our trip and his home schooling.

Toward the end of the flight, the lovely Indian flight attendant came by to ask if I would do a customer survey. I’ve done many of these over the years for CX and love to give honest comments. I gave the service and food high marks as expected. One area gave the lowest marks was the cleanliness of the toilets. I entered one that was VERY DIRTY. Someone had obviously had an accident. Usually CX is good about “fixing” these problems. A lot of US carriers just lock the bathroom and declare it unusable. CX on the other hand often cleans the toilets at least on the long-haul flights. It was unpleasant and I wouldn’t even step into the toilet. It didn’t get cleaned during the whole flight.

My biggest complaint with the customer survey is that the customer is forced to rate the experience and there is nowhere to write an actual comment. I mentioned this to the ISM and she gave me a comment card where I could write what I wanted. On it I shared my frustration with the CX online check-in. I really have grown to like online checkin. A couple of times, I have caught errors in my reservation when I check in online and then have twenty-four hours to fix those errors instead of when I’m standing at the check-in counter. Hopefully it is something that cx.com will fix in the future.

We landed at the Indira Gandhi International Airport and soon enough we were making the LONG walk to passport control. Along the way we noticed some pretty funky carpet patterns! When we got to passport control, we came upon a huge screaming fight between a couple of guys and customs agents. A large crowd of fifty people surrounded them. After a while, it turned into pushing and shoving. We couldn’t believe some authority with a gun didn’t break it up sooner! Where was security? Finally it died down on its own. Unfortunately, it was not a good first impression of India for Terry and Corbin.

BAGGAGE:
Here’s where CX excels. We had checked our bags with TG in Ho Chi Minh and they had interlined them to CX. In Bangkok, the CX baggage handlers found our bags and added the CX Priority Business Class tags so that they would come out first in Delhi. EXCELLENT SERVICE. I had that happen several times when I’ve flown CX FC but it was the first time that I remember it happening when flying business. The only other airline this has happened to me was on Singapore Airlines.

OVERALL:
Two months ago, we took CX751 from Hong Kong to Bangkok. I was very disappointed in the service. This flight was also CX751 and was the continuing service from Hong Kong. The service was very good and overall it was a much more enjoyable flight. This was our last CX flight on our RTW ticket but know that we will be flying them again in the future.

Previous reports in this year of travel:
FLIGHT#22: SGN International Sasco Lounge & TG 551 Business Class with photos
FLIGHT#20: SGN Dom Sasco Lounge, VN452 SGN-NHA Biz Class and Sheraton Nha Trang
FLIGHT#19: BKK Royal First Lounge & LH772 BKK-SGN in First Class with photos
FLIGHT#18: TG242 KBV-BKK in Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#17: TG245 BKK-KVG in Biz Class with Photos
FLIGHT#16: THE CABIN & CX751 HKG-BKK in Biz Class with photos
FLIGHT#15: CX748 JNB-HKG Biz Class with photos

Last edited by olafman; Jan 20, 2011 at 3:06 am
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:02 am

Nice to read the next instalment of your trip.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Gotta love that CX lounge!^
Old Jan 18, 2011, 5:56 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
The flight attendant was right - I have had that business class veggie main mentioned on the menu and the paneer served in economy (what you pictured), is far better - good choice!

As far as CX tagging bags priority with transit pax - through check-in from AA to CX connecting LHR Terminal 3 - and my bags were tagged with CX tags when they came out at HKG. BKK and other Asian ports is one thing - but for them to do it at LHR with a 2hour transit - now thats pretty amazing...
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: FT
another great TR.

i have managed in the past, at least when booking with BA miles, to PM one of the BA lurkers over on the BA forum to get my CX locator and then proceeded to do online check in etc. and select seats and print my bording pass online directly with CX even though my flight was booked using BA points.

i wonder whether BA can - well, with a little assistance from insiders on FT - get you those CX and other airline locators? Perhaps a post over on the BA or OW forum might help.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
FYI - I just managed to do an online check-in for CX using a 9W Document (ticket number 589 xxxxxxxxx) - and using BA as my choice for mileage credit - you just have to click on online check-in and select online check-in for non-member. It works with any e-ticket.
Manage my booking required e-ticket numbers for inserting passport info as a secondary check and only works with CX/KA docs (160/043) - but at time of online check-in you can insert your passport info as part of online check-in process when required.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
another great TR.

i have managed in the past, at least when booking with BA miles, to PM one of the BA lurkers over on the BA forum to get my CX locator and then proceeded to do online check in etc. and select seats and print my bording pass online directly with CX even though my flight was booked using BA points.

i wonder whether BA can - well, with a little assistance from insiders on FT - get you those CX and other airline locators? Perhaps a post over on the BA or OW forum might help.
FYI - 1) BA EC CAN HELP YOU ASSIGN SEATS WHENEVER NEEDED.

2)If you prefer (like most of us do), to manage your own booking there's a handy way of getting your partner airline record locaters. Log in using your 1A (AMADEUS) record locater at check my trip:
http://www.checkmytrip.com

It works for airlines who's use amadeus software as their main reservation system: BA, LH, LX, AF, QF etc.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by avm2806
FYI - 1) BA EC CAN HELP YOU ASSIGN SEATS WHENEVER NEEDED.
...sorry, you should say BAEC should be able to help you assign...they have dropped the ball several times with AA and CX reward bookings using BA miles that this is not a reliable approach based on my experience. if it works for you, great. mostly i get the sorry, you can not reserve seats yada yada yada...perhaps that is just NA BAEC. the other option does work as you note but BAEC at least in NA and those I deal with are not helpful.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avm2806
It works with any e-ticket.
Manage my booking required e-ticket numbers for inserting passport info as a secondary check and only works with CX/KA docs (160/043) - but at time of online check-in you can insert your passport info as part of online check-in process when required.
I will try it again next time. I thought I arrived at a point where it had to begin with 160 or 043.

I'd sure like this to work!!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
...sorry, you should say BAEC should be able to help you assign...they have dropped the ball several times with AA and CX reward bookings using BA miles that this is not a reliable approach based on my experience. if it works for you, great. mostly i get the sorry, you can not reserve seats yada yada yada...perhaps that is just NA BAEC. the other option does work as you note but BAEC at least in NA and those I deal with are not helpful.
Been a Gold member in NA and the Gold helpline has always been helpful in assigning seats, or alternatively in some cases where there was a problem assigning a specific seat they've given me my CX locator to call CX with.
Also, BA India has never been a problem on this issue - maybe NA is not as co-operative as they used to be...
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:58 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Thanks for sharing this great report. ^ One of these days I will make it to an Asian lounge. I feel deprived.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I love reading all of your updates, this series is my favorite TR of all time! ^

I'm happy to see that there are coffins on this flight (ha) as I'm taking the same flight in July and feared regional J.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:03 am

Thank you for writing this nice report

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.