Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My son’s fifth grade year: 97,737 miles, 40 flights, 6 continents and 16 countries

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta DM!
This is totally awesome. I'm going to subscribe.. Looking forward to much more!
Old Oct 16, 2010, 9:34 am

I love that you guys are doing this - best dads ever!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM LIFETIME PLT, Turkish Miles&Smiles Elite, Marriott Plat
UPDATE!

I've finally finished the post on the month in Istanbul. I hope you all enjoy reading it.

Remember that photos of all the things I describe can be found on my blog:
http://travelcarl.blogspot.com

Mini-update: Madagascar continues to be AMAZING. We will be sad to leave in a week!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:56 am

Amazing trip report so far. I cannot wait to read each month, what a lucky kid and what great dads!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Wow, what a TR its been and going to be. Have fun!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
"When your 4’ 3” kid complains about American’s tilted business class seats, you know you’ve made a mistake somewhere."

The sentence had me laughing! Good luck in your journey and I look forward to reading all your trip reports!!!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 7:03 am

What a great thing to do! I wish you a wonderful time living around the world.

I see that you will be in Cochin (Kochi), kerala for a month. I am from Kerala, now living in NY. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about Kerala or if you need any help. I will be glad to assist you in anyway I can to make your stay comfortable. I hope you enjoy your stay there.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, Westjet Rewards
Fabulous...I loved that you didn't mention you were a gay couple until page 4Can't wait to read the next installment. This is something Corbin will remember for the rest of his life..lucky little boy!
Old Oct 20, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Great report; I might have missed this somewhere, but seems like at first you were considering First or Business but decided to go with economy; is this the case? Thanks, I look forward ot the rest!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (IPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Great report; I might have missed this somewhere, but seems like at first you were considering First or Business but decided to go with economy; is this the case? Thanks, I look forward ot the rest!
We did book our "big" ticket that has all our long hauls as part of a business class round the world ticket. But all the little flights we had to purchase separately. For those we mostly bought economy except in Asia where we found some good deals in C.

For the round the world ticket they have a limit of 16 flights. So I picked our 16 longest flights and those are in business. Those flights alone are 42,000 miles.

Last edited by olafman; Oct 21, 2010 at 5:44 am
Old Oct 21, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thumbs up

Fantastic trip and start to the TR. Wow, you guys are truly incredible for creating this amazing and unforgetable experience for your son (and yourselves)^^^ Looking forward to following the rest of your adventure.

Best of luck and safe travels!!!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
This is awesome. I just calculated that my 8 month old should be entering the 5th grade in late 2020. Ideas, ideas, ideas! Can't wait to read about the rest of the trip.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 1:54 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: Month in South Africa now posted

I've just finished my report on September in South Africa and you'll find it on PAGE 1.

It was a month full of many tears and many wonderful times. Just like life in general.

Enjoy reading.

-Olafman
--------------------------------------------
http://fifthgradearoundtheworld.com
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:44 am

Programs: Mucci of the Dominion of Maple and Moose; Keeper of Sir MightyMoose; BAEC Silver; AC MileagePlus
Originally Posted by olafman
I've just finished my report on September in South Africa and you'll find it on PAGE 1.

It was a month full of many tears and many wonderful times. Just like life in general.

Enjoy reading.

-Olafman
--------------------------------------------
http://fifthgradearoundtheworld.com
Fab!

Cave + Bats = Droppings + dip?

Cute lemurs omg!

With the exposure to all these fantastic things, won't Corbin be ready to go to Gd. 7 by the time you're all done?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Capricorn70
With the exposure to all these fantastic things, won't Corbin be ready to go to Gd. 7 by the time you're all done?
We are a bit worried that he might not have ANYTHING in common with his peers. We try to get him American TV as much as possible so he's not totally ignorant of what American kids like.

Last edited by olafman; Oct 25, 2010 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.