Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic EgyptAir flights in Business Class: CAI-LXR, ASW-ABS-ASW-CAI

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Domestic EgyptAir flights in Business Class: CAI-LXR, ASW-ABS-ASW-CAI

This Trip Report is about our stay in Egypt and our Domestic travels within Egypt, my experiences on flight to and from Egypt are posted in a separate Trip Report here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ness-clas.html
We stayed at the Oberoi Mena House at first to visit the Pyramids and Memphis.
The Mena House is one of my favorite hotels in Cairo for its charm, history, and location. You cant beat this view from your bedroom!

We then flew down to Luxor where we had a 5 day cruise on the Sonesta Star Goddess before flying to Abu Simbel from Aswan and then returning to Cairo.

MS Flight 72
CAI-LXR
Monday September 27th, 2010
8:45AM
B737-500

Had breakfast at the hotel at 5:30AM (for some reason, there is a 24 hour restaurant at the Mena House Oberoi).
There was not much traffic so early in the morning so we arrived at the newer EgyptAir terminal with plenty of time to spare.
I had traveled in and out of an older terminal that EgyptAir used about 3 years ago and so was happily surprised by their new terminal building. Very modern, light and airy.

Had to go through a security screening before arriving at the domestic check-in counters all the way to the right hand side of the terminal building.
There was one business class desk open but it was empty. We received fast and friendly service. I asked to have my United Mileage Plus Number added to the reservation and the gentleman added it to my flight but said he was unable to add it to the whole reservation.
Our bags were tagged with “priority” tags and we were given an invitation to the lounge.
We made our way upstairs to the lounge which was very, very small. It had about 25-30 very crowded chairs in it, with a small food and beverage station, a TV, and restrooms.

We did not spend a lot of time in the lounge and made our way to the boarding gate shortly. It was a long walk and I got to do a bit of plane spotting, seeing mostly EgyptAir planes including some A330s, A340s, B737s and even some B777.

The gate area was downstairs where we had to go through a security check before entering the waiting area. Boarding started at around 8:10AM.
Row 8 was the first row in business class, with 4 rows of 2x2 seating for a total of 16 seats. This plane had the light blue and sand colored upholstery. Colors may seem a bit unusual at first, but I think they blend perfectly well with most of the scenery in Egypt.

Hot towels and a choice of water or juices were passed out before departure.
Before the safety announcements, a movie of what I think is a prayer is played in Arabic. Also, I noticed that there is a Koran displayed in a glass box by the galley on the plane.
We had an on-time departure and shortly after take-off linens were brought out for the breakfast service.
Trays were brought out with our snacks, which were nothing more than bread, honey and jam, butter and cheese, and what was described to me as “Egyptian Milk Dessert”.

It was all served in a plastic tray with plastic dishes and silverware.
We had an on-time arrival and business class passengers were taken to the terminal in a separate bus.

Bags came out shortly and we made our way out in no time.
We did notice that it was MUCH hotter here than in Cairo and we knew it would only get hotter as we traveled further south.
By 10:30AM we were checked into our nice cabin onboard the Sonesta Star Goddess for our Nile Cruise. I definetly recommend a cruise on the nile and Soensta seems to have sme of the nicer boats. Our ship's cabins all had a separate sitting rea with a balcony!

MS Flight 401
ASW-ABS
Friday October 1st, 2010
6:55AM
EMB 170

We had a very early departure for our visit to Abu Simbel and left the shop around 5:30AM. There is no separate business class counter at Aswan airport, but luckily we didn’t have to wait too long in line before being checked in.
We were glad to find out that our bags could be checked in to Cairo and we wouldn’t have to bring them with us for our short visit to Abu Simbel. We were also given our boarding pass to use upon our return from Aswan to Cairo later in the day, but would have to collect our boarding pass for Abu Simbel to Aswan at the Abu Simbel airport.
We were also given two cards to use at the Airport Lounge in Aswan.

We made our way to the departure area and decided to look for the lounge. We couldn’t not find it anywhere so I decided to ask for it at the coffee shop. It turns out that there is no lounge and instead the invitation is good for a beverage from the coffee shop, so we exchanged it for a water and a soft drink.
As we made our way to the plane we were a little concerned as our business class seats on this small Embraer 170 were on row 21!

As we boarded the plane we realized that seating started in row 20, so we were actually I the 2nd row. Not sure why EgyptAir does this? The seats were the same seats as in coach with no extra leg room. We were also given the same boxed fruit juice that everyone in coach was given so I can say that there is absolutely no difference between Business Class and Coach on these flights. It wasn’t really a big deal as the flights are very short, but why do they even bother to offer business class?

MS Flight 404
ABS-ASW
Friday October 1st, 2010
10:40AM
EMB 170

We had the first row on the return flight (row 20) and everything was pretty much the same as on our flight down from Aswan.

I did notice that after the prayer that is played, the safety announcement consisted of nothing more than saying where the exits are and that if we wanted any more information, we could read the cards in the seat back pockets!
On time departure and arrival.

MS Flight 41
ASW-CAI
Friday October 1st, 2010
1:50PM
A320 (reservation said B737-500)

We had a couple of hour layover at Aswan Airport so we exchanged our other business class coupon for more drinks at the coffee shop and spent some time shopping. We thought prices were not bad at the airport shops and actually bought a few pieces of silver jewelry.
Boarding for this flight out of Aswan was a bit of a mess, with a gate change announced as boarding was about to begin followed by a mad rush to get through an additional security screening and unto busses to the plane.
Although my reservation confirmation said the equipment would be a B737, I noticed that we were in fact boarding an A320.

Seating was similar to that on our flight from Cairo to Luxor, but with dark blue upholstery.

We had bulkhead seats and I was discreetly able to take a picture of the Koran on this plane.

Hot towels as well as Mango and Apple juice were passed out before departure. And once again a snack was served shortly after takeoff. Linens were placed on our tables, but the food was pretty pathetic and again served on a plastic tray with plastic plates and silverware.

Upon arrival in Cairo our bags were some of the first off the belt and we were quickly on our way to the Four Seasons Hotel.
The Four Seasons was very well located for our visits to Islamic Cairo and the Egyptian Museum.

Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Thanks for the TR; I really enjoy hearing about airlines that don't get a lot of coverage here. ^
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:50 pm

Thanks for the rare Egypt Air TR. I have flight with them in Dec...it will be interesting flying them for the first time on an international route.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by imm2b
Thanks for the rare Egypt Air TR. I have flight with them in Dec...it will be interesting flying them for the first time on an international route.
Happy travels! Let us know about your experiences with MS when you return.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice report, Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Doesnt Egyptair serve alcohol in the Elteir domestic business class lounge at CAI? I know their flights and lounges are dry, but find it odd that this lounge serves "complimentary alcoholic beverages." According to their website, it does.

http://www.egyptair.com/English/Pages/Lounges.aspx
Old Mar 9, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Doesnt Egyptair serve alcohol in the Elteir domestic business class lounge at CAI? I know their flights and lounges are dry, but find it odd that this lounge serves "complimentary alcoholic beverages." According to their website, it does.

http://www.egyptair.com/English/Pages/Lounges.aspx
I will answer my own question. The Egyptair website is WRONG. Even though it says complimentary alcoholic beverages in the domestic lounge there are not any. Shops around the lounge sell it so Egyptair should offer it OR remove it from their website.

Sadly, international customers do not appreciate MS' decision to be dry, and if MS wants to be in Star Alliance they should consider the international customer. They cannot have their cake and eat it too!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:16 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Thanks for the TR; I really enjoy hearing about airlines that don't get a lot of coverage here. ^
Actually there is a LOT of MS coverage here (including my TR):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...anted-fly.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...i-c-class.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ankruptcy.html - this one is mine

And BTW I gully agree: Egyptair Express sucks.... Do not book Egyptair Express in C... 'Normal' Egyptair is quite OK...
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:54 pm

Interesting dom trip report.

If booze is so important to you, book another airline I guess.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:30 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Egypt Air has a unique and I find charming product.

Mind you, these experiences are on their short haul product.

The coupons they hand out for Star Golds are unique to them and a fantastic touch when there is no lounge. I had such a coupon when I passed through Sharm el Sheikh last year.

The domestic lounge is very small and dated compared to the international lounges. No Liquor as Sky Team 777 correctly pointed out.

I can do without the grog on the short domestic segments, but I'd find it a challenge on the longer haul if I was connecting through CAI!
Old Mar 10, 2012, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just find it funny that the Egyptair website says "complimentary alcoholic beverages" in the domestic lounge when that is clearly not the case. For an airline that is completely dry, what a brazen and unfortunate mistake on their website.

My favorite part about traveling Egyptair are the little songs that play in the airport when announcements are made for departing and arriving flights. The songs are based on the destination so flamenco music for Madrid/Barcelona flights, tribal music for Nairobi, Arabic music for Beirut/Amman/Tripoli, etc. It adds a bit of fun to the mundane facilities.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by TPJ

And BTW I gully agree: Egyptair Express sucks.... Do not book Egyptair Express in C... 'Normal' Egyptair is quite OK...
Why is it better to book Egyptair Express in Y instead of C?

The price differential doesn't seem to be that great...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Executive S, Egypt Air Plus S
Originally Posted by China Clipper
Why is it better to book Egyptair Express in Y instead of C?

The price differential doesn't seem to be that great...
I'm not sure what the original poster was referring to but I've flown a lot of Egypt Air domestic in both Y & C, some end up being on Egypt Air and some on Egypt Air Express planes.

If the price difference is minimal go with C but on many of these flights the only difference between Y & C is a curtain separating the cabins and (miserably bad) food in C.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.