Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Kevin gets a little Seoul - To Seoul and Hong Kong with Asiana and Thai in F and C

Kevin gets a little Seoul - To Seoul and Hong Kong with Asiana and Thai in F and C

Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Good stuff so far...can't wait to see the rest!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:57 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, GoldPointsplus Gold, QF Platinum, Flying Blue
Fantatsic report, great writing and faboulus pictures to accompany the story! What kind of camera do you use? Looking forward to the return leg!

One remark about Asiana FC, whilst it seems a fantastic product they have in their First Class, it is a little bit disappointing that they hand out cheap non noise cancelling headphones! Also no caviar as starter (which is the norm at many airlines in FC nowadays, nevertheless, still disappointing)
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:39 am

Programs: Miles & More;
Great report! Reminds me of my trip to Seoul last year - i even stayed in the same Hotel.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Great TR! Waiting fo the rest!^
Old Sep 16, 2010, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
This is the trip report I have been waiting for a while, and it is definitely worth the wait.

Looking forward to the rest!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Smile

Originally Posted by snod08
Really super TR!
Great photos!
Glad you like snod08

Originally Posted by kglavimans
Fantatsic report, great writing and faboulus pictures to accompany the story! What kind of camera do you use? Looking forward to the return leg!
I'm glad you like the pictures kglavimans. I'm using a Canon EOS 40D with a 17-40L as the main camera, and a Apple iPhone4 for some of the more discreet photos/videos.

Originally Posted by kglavimans
One remark about Asiana FC, whilst it seems a fantastic product they have in their First Class, it is a little bit disappointing that they hand out cheap non noise cancelling headphones! Also no caviar as starter (which is the norm at many airlines in FC nowadays, nevertheless, still disappointing)
Caviar isn't my bag to be honest so I'm not too fussed . However the lack of Noise cancelling headphones (Ok, they're Sennheiser PX200's, but even then) is a slight concern - as the seat has a power port for a 3 pin NC headset.

The headphones in C are worse... but at least they're Sennheiser's (I still prefer the CX-300's as my headphones)

Originally Posted by ARJ85
Great report! Reminds me of my trip to Seoul last year - i even stayed in the same Hotel.
Glad you liked ARJ85. I Loved the view of the N Seoul Tower from my room too. That hotel is one of the better ones I've stayed in too.

Originally Posted by sobore
Great TR! Waiting fo the rest!^
Thanks sobore... Parts 8 and 9 have now loaded!

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
This is the trip report I have been waiting for a while, and it is definitely worth the wait.

Looking forward to the rest!
Glad you're enjoying it UA_Flyer. It's taken a bit of time to type as I've had to organise one hell of a lot of photos around, and actually spend time typing.

---
Parts 8 and 9 have now been loaded for your enjoyment - Part 10 (ICN-LHR) is still being written and the Epilogue is pretty much done...expect to see some more posted tonight!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kevincm
In regards to hotels, a happy coincidence occurred when I started looking at this trip in depth - and that was Accor was running a mad 50% off sale - cutting the costs of this trip dramatically. For Seoul I selected the Grand Ambassador Hotel (Which was a Sofitel and a Pullman, now an Associated Pullman - I think this hotel has a identity crisis if anything), at a grand total of Ł250 for 4 nights, (a reasonable Ł70 a night) and for Hong Kong, a couple of nights in the Novotel in Kowloon for Ł150 (again - about Ł75 a night). As much as I love Hyatt and Hilton, the prices just weren't working out in the end to make them worth while.

Of course as a recently minted A-Club Gold (and a card issued thanks the the little Belfast diversion I had), there might be some minor benefits (least of all, a late checkout in Hong Kong)- but then again, who ISN'T an A-Club Gold these days?
I just got back from the Grand Ambassador yesterday on an even lower rate. I think I paid about $87/night for 5 nights thanks to that crazy Accor sale. Rate posted in the lobby was 220,000 KRW. Got free Internet too because I was a A-Club gold member (thanks to that thread in the Accor forum) and they couldn't upgrade me, claiming the hotel was sold out (yeah, right; but I was happy to take the free Internet as I was traveling solo and didn't really need more space).
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abcx
I just got back from the Grand Ambassador yesterday on an even lower rate. I think I paid about $87/night for 5 nights thanks to that crazy Accor sale. Rate posted in the lobby was 220,000 KRW. Got free Internet too because I was a A-Club gold member (thanks to that thread in the Accor forum) and they couldn't upgrade me, claiming the hotel was sold out (yeah, right; but I was happy to take the free Internet as I was traveling solo and didn't really need more space).
Excellent work there abcx. I swapped the free 'net for the upgrade on the business lounge floor (14th).

Still a great little hotel and convenient for everything (although investing in a T-Money card isn't the worst idea on the planet as the subway station is around the corner).

That was a darn good sale!

---

Note: Trip report complete and loaded for everyone's perusal. It's also on my blog at www.ghettoife.com with all the Youtube vids embedded and a couple of extra gifts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:27 pm

Still a great little hotel and convenient for everything (although investing in a T-Money card isn't the worst idea on the planet as the subway station is around the corner).

That was a darn good sale!
Yeah, and the hotel shuttle was really convenient too to get to Insadong and Myeongdong. They also have a shuttle that runs twice a day to Itaewon but I didn't take that.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 1:39 am

Nice work, Kevin.

I caught the first half here, then finished it off over at ghettoife this morning.

I may have to do something similar when (if?) Continental merge OnePass with United's Milage Plus- watch this space.

Saucony aren't a particularly common shoe over here. Are you a runner, or have you just been shopping in TK Maxx?
Old Sep 17, 2010, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by abcx
Yeah, and the hotel shuttle was really convenient too to get to Insadong and Myeongdong. They also have a shuttle that runs twice a day to Itaewon but I didn't take that.
Alas abcx, I forgot about the buses (although I took an instant dislike to Itaewon - seemed like any high street in the world). 9/10 times I just went over to the Subway (along with the chirpy chimes and industrial aircon system in it )

Originally Posted by Weean
Nice work, Kevin.

I caught the first half here, then finished it off over at ghettoife this morning.

I may have to do something similar when (if?) Continental merge OnePass with United's Milage Plus- watch this space.

Saucony aren't a particularly common shoe over here. Are you a runner, or have you just been shopping in TK Maxx?
I'll look out for your trip with interest Weean .

The Saucony's are my old gym shoes which have a bit more support than the average trainer - as I pulled a tendon in my foot a month ago, and it was still healing when I travelled out (and wearing a pair of "proper" shoes around the DMZ was killer for my feet..)

And TK Maxx? Not me. Primark maybe... (although the shoes came from a proper runners shop)
Old Sep 17, 2010, 8:17 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Nice work Kevincm ^

Pleased that you enjoyed Asia (my favourite place on the planet) and your F/J experiences. You are still not totally sold on the "front of the bus" though, eh I too am burning DC miles big style.....the end is nigh..

Looking forward to your nest adventure.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:59 am

Brilliant

^ Very funny trip report ! Yes, it's really annoying to not have free wifi @ FRA (and MUC) in the LH Senator lounge.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Nice work Kevincm ^

Pleased that you enjoyed Asia (my favourite place on the planet) and your F/J experiences. You are still not totally sold on the "front of the bus" though, eh I too am burning DC miles big style.....the end is nigh..

Looking forward to your nest adventure.
I'll be back to Asia next year as part of the big burn (alas I still need a bunch of Diamond Club miles for *G qualification, so it's back to the USA in a few weeks.

I'm sold on C and F class... just not coming from directly from my pocket (although redemptions are not coming from my pocket normally...), hence why if I need to be somewhere and the ticket isn't too expensive, you'll find me in Row 99 (although not for the next TATL segment I have planned!).

Thanks NoY - I'll try to keep the next trip a bit more adventurous

Originally Posted by UAFlyer
^ Very funny trip report ! Yes, it's really annoying to not have free wifi @ FRA (and MUC) in the LH Senator lounge.
Tell me about it. Almost as bad as a non-UA visitor to a RCC. Heck, if a crappy contract lounge can do it free of charge, I don't see why a big hub lounge can't!

Glad you enjoyed UAFlyer
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

Apart from having room to swing a cat in (which was impossible to do on that grotty 737-500 this morning) the amenities are well stocked with Evian special face demister things, L’Octaine stuff – again – all premium stuff with Toothbrushes, little towels, combs – all the things you used to see many moons ago, but have been dispensed with – or just offered badly with other airlines.
Btw, those are Biotherm stuff, not Loccitane. OZ never had used Loccitane. Biotherm is ok, not really consider as premium, it is like UK version of Neutrogena. The C class kit which you did on the return flight ICN-FRA has the Biotherm products in it.

And alas, like all good things, the flight had to come to an end. I was presented with a gift from Asiana - a lovely smelling candle.

That's nice, especially it is from Ferragamo. I did a search and see it is sold for $65.

The Desert of Champions!
Well I am not sure about that. Have you ever tried Fauchon icecream in NH lounge in NRT ? In my opinion it is better than Haagen Dazs.

I was welcome aboard, and made my home in 3A. Again, there was no one next to me for this short home to Seoul. Shortly after sitting down I was given a small amenity kit and slippers for the flight
Small amenity kit ? Do you have a photo by any chance ? Or you mean eyemask and earplugs ? I have done this route many times in F and C, nothing more than slippers.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Sep 19, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.