Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

G'day, kia orana - it's another inaugural flight in Air New Zealand business class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
continued ...

We pushed back about 30 minutes late and I dozed for a few minutes, to be awoken when hot towels were handed out after take off.

There were a few announcements about the inaugural flight from crew, station manager and Cook Islands tourist office boss and later some first flight certificates were handed out. Otherwise, normal service was underway.

Our flight time was fairly short thanks to strong tailwinds on the northern side of the storm battering northern NZ. I dozed a bit but did not get much sleep.

The main meal service was much the same as an Australia to New Zealand evening flight - starter, choice of 3 mains, ice cream & wafer for dessert, cheese & fruit, drinks. Just before landing at 5am there was an early morning muffin and tea/coffee/juice/water. No menu cards. This seems to happen on about half of my recent Air NZ shorthaul business class flights

On arrival we got a water cannon salute before pulling into our stand. There was a large reception group on the tarmac welcoming the VIPs, which meant a slow disembarkation down the stairs (almost faster to go out the rear stairs!).
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice report. Too bad the lounge didn't play it up the inaugural flight a bit more with a special celebration.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Rarotonga transit

This was my first time at Rarotonga since the new terminal opened earlier this year. The beloved open air departures area (complete with grass and picnic tables) is gone and is replaced by a bland concrete and steel structure that could be an airport anywhere.

I was pleased to see the ukelele guy is still there to welcome all arriving passengers and farewell all departing ones.

The entrance for transit security was a bit hidden, but with such a small arrivals area it didn't take long to find it. I was quickly through to the large departures lounge area which takes up most of the space previously occupied by the lawn. There is a new Air NZ lounge next to immigration, which is at least double the size of the old pokey one. It also has more amenities (although the 2 computers where not yet operational) and fitted out in the bach style used by Air NZ.

It was fairly full, and the food & drink offering was meagre so I whiled some time reading. Boarding was announced in the lounge at the same time as outside, so rather than stand around in a queue I took my time and made the most of a last chance to stretch my legs by exploring the departures area.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
continued ...

We pushed back about 30 minutes late and I dozed for a few minutes, to be awoken when hot towels were handed out after take off.

There were a few announcements about the inaugural flight from crew, station manager and Cook Islands tourist office boss and later some first flight certificates were handed out. Otherwise, normal service was underway.

Our flight time was fairly short thanks to strong tailwinds on the northern side of the storm battering northern NZ. I dozed a bit but did not get much sleep.

The main meal service was much the same as an Australia to New Zealand evening flight - starter, choice of 3 mains, ice cream & wafer for dessert, cheese & fruit, drinks. Just before landing at 5am there was an early morning muffin and tea/coffee/juice/water. No menu cards. This seems to happen on about half of my recent Air NZ shorthaul business class flights

On arrival we got a water cannon salute before pulling into our stand. There was a large reception group on the tarmac welcoming the VIPs, which meant a slow disembarkation down the stairs (almost faster to go out the rear stairs!).
So SYD-RAR is not considered as a long haul product by NZ, unlike AKL-PPT where you have proper long haul meals and amenities?!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edison
So SYD-RAR is not considered as a long haul product by NZ, unlike AKL-PPT where you have proper long haul meals and amenities?!
Correct, and also less amenities than PER-AKL which is similar length to SYD-RAR (3300 miles vs 3100 miles).
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

RAROTONGA to AUCKLAND (RAR-AKL) on Air New Zealand 767 in business class

I was the last to board - this time to a half full business cabin despite the availability tools and seat map showing a fairly full flight the day less than 24 hours ago, and also despite the fullish lounge. I guess there were a few no shows or people who made late changes to their bookings? I was warmly welcomed back onboard and asked if I'd like a drink.

Shortly after takeoff a smoothie was offered. Hmmm last time I was told these weren't possible on 767 flights. Then breakfast. Once again no printed menu available, but fairly standard fare for the route - ie a choice of french toast (this rotates with pancakes) and omelette, fruit, cereals, bread or muffin, tea and coffee.

I was pretty tired so napped for a while after breakfast, waking about an hour out of Auckland (ie after about an hour of dozing) when it began to get bumpy from the tail end of the storm.

We flew past the city, which was hidden by low cloud and rain, turned over Manukau Harbour and landed from the west. We pulled into gate 16, at the end of pier B, so had a moderate walk to immigration. At this hour of the day (approx 9am) there aren't too many international arrivals so I power-walked to smartgate, was quickly through and powerwalked to customs and out into a cold and wet Monday morning.

postscript

Credit for my flights didn't post automatically and the online missing mileage credit tool had not been loaded with the new route. But thanks to premium team this was rectified quickly once I was in touch with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.