Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

BA First Class SFO-LHR, very disappointing.

Old May 27, 2010, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist

BA284
SFO-LHR
May 24, 2010
747-400
Seats 1AK

Mrs. SFO and I are off to Istanbul this week and I decided to use our 2-4-1 Chase BA miles for the SFO-LHR leg, the BA strike notwithstanding. Even though I had a *A back-up reservation including LX from ORD-ZRH, dinner at Maze and fifth row seats to Tuesday's Thriller Live won out at the last minute over a double connection and I decided to stick with BA. Surely, BA wouldn't short change First Class service, would they? OMG, how wrong I was. What a huge disappointment, and not just related to the strike.

Even though I OLCI'd at home, we stopped at the First check in counter for new BPs and doc check. Security was a breeze as the Premium lane was open with only a handful ahead of us.

Strike or not, the only redeeming feature about the SFO Terraces Lounge is direct boarding from the lounge to the jetway. Spartan entrance, small First Class lounge with the same limited selection of serve-yourself food and beverages set-up as in the Business class lounge. Does BA really think that First pax are craving smoked salmon/boursin and ham/pickle/cheese sandwiches? I never thought I would say this, but UA's IFL at SFO is infinitely superior.

The First Class portion of Terraces...

Our 744 from the First Class lounge...

The Club World portion of Terraces...

At T-40, the lounge dragon came into the lounge and announced boarding which was through a door opposite the check-in desk, directly from the lounge to the top of the jetway. FA greeting at the door of our 744 was pleasant although lacking personal greeting or interaction, understandable with a short-staff.

While I originally booked Mrs. SFO in 1K, I could get no closer than 4A. However, the kind gentleman in 1A (thank you London Dude!) insisted on switching seats with me so we could sit together. And what an absolute treat to be in 1AK, the two best seats in what otherwise is a pretty tight and crowded 14 seat cabin.

What a far cry from SQ...

Since there was no FA around (which presumably was due to lighter strike-related FA staffing levels), I hung our own coats and jackets, and those of a couple of other pax. Pre-departure drinks were offered and I opted for champagne. Silly me, I asked the FA what champagne he had just served me.

What I enjoyed most about those two seats is the number of windows and ability to view forward. To an obsessed FTer, it doesn't get much better than 1A and a late sunny afternoon taxi and take-off from SFO.

And our flying companion today. Gotta love the "No way BA/AA" emblazoned on VS planes.

Take-off from 28L over the Pacific with a turn right over the GG bridge, affording a great view of city.

Post-departure drink, my G&T with cashews...

About 20 minutes later, our senior FA Conrad stopped by to present us with... our menu. Unbelievably there was one single menu for the entire cabin, a xeroxed sheet of paper, the galley master menu, marked with quantities on hand and selections by seat.

And our wine list, hand-written on a Parc 55 Hotel note pad page. One of our FA's posed for this memorable photo. Apparently I didn't realize that Gate Gourmet had also gone on strike.

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 7, 2010 at 9:15 am
Old May 27, 2010, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dinner time and we were presented with... a Business Class set up! Yes sirree, starter, napkin/utensil roll and desert all at once.

Our elegant BA First Class salt and pepper shakers...

Heirloom Tomato and Mozzarella starter, actually quite tasty...

Some type of overcooked beef cut, drowning in an oily, buttery liquid...

Which I subsequently plated so I didn't have to eat it like soup. But I did eat most of the it, since I didn't think I'd have other options...

Waiting for someone to remove my glasses...

Still waiting...

Just before shut-eye and some heavy turbulence, a beautiful view and one of my favourite movies...

Breakfast was a tray with fruit and bread. I guess coffee is what BA meant by a "hot element" in "a second lighter meal with a hot element suitable to the time of day will be served at your seat."

In summary, what a disappointment. Certainly the strike contributed to my negative BA opinion, but even without the strike, I can't think of putting BA in the same category of 5-star carriers like LH or SQ. Trying to squeeze 14 seats into the pointy end of a 744 is simply ridiculous. The number of seats and the angle result in very narrow and not particularly comfortable seats. There is no cubby hole storage space around your seat (unlike LH) which means that the counter between the seat and windows winds up looking like a messy desk. I couldn't find any power source other than the Empower outlet which did not function consistently.

Although youFIRST London refused to talk to me (apparently I'm not the right nationality), BA-US has so far agreed to refund half of my miles after I told them I was not at all interested in flying the return LHR-SFO flight. Fortunately I was able to find two First seats on LX's newly outfitted ZRH-ORD 333, so even with a connection to a four hour UA domestic flight, I will have a much better experience. ^

Last edited by SFO777; Nov 7, 2010 at 9:42 am
Old May 27, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: Asiana, The Old NWA, Cathay Pacific
Kudos to that last pic !

sorry the service was not up to par =(

e.d.
Old May 27, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Very disappointing to hear of your experience, but this is certainly not typical of BA First. The meal service in particular was certainly the Club World service. I recommend letting customer services know of your disappointment.

The First cabin you travelled in is being replaced by New First, rolling out across the fleet, which will rectify some of the issues you raised.

Nice pictures, though ^
Old May 27, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Thank you for the report: an accurate, objective view of the F service as affected by the strike. Excellent pictures, wholly in context to the text of the report (unfortunately, this is not always so in FT trip reports).

I especially loved the photo of downtown San Francisco - AT&T Ballpark can be seen at the extreme upper right corner ^
Old May 27, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for your BA F trip report. It's certainly a disappointment to hear your unsatisfactory experience aboard BA... I would have expected a higher level of service, even given the rare labor circumstances.

BA should have advised F passengers in advance of the service downgrade and compensated accordingly (ie. prorate miles used, refund diff in fare between F & C etc.) If an airline cannot deliver the level of service in the cabin booked, then they shouldn't fly it as such- strike or no strike.

In an age where consumers (or passengers in this case) are empowered to voice their dissatisfaction with goods or services on mediums such as FlyerTalk, they need to pay closer attention to this stuff! I couldn't even believe that they actually wrote the wine selections on a hotel notepad, what a disaster.

Hope you have a better flight home on LX! I too will soon be flying LX F ORD-ZRH on the new bird A330-300, can't wait! Hopefully LX won't be experiencing any catering issues!
Old May 27, 2010, 8:33 pm

Programs: LH HON,AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, and a few more
Thanks for the report, you will definitely have a great return flight on LX and enjoy Istanbul.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
The reason they only had one xeroxed menu is because they were too embarrassed to show you the cover of the C menu from which the choices came.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-pictures.html

Atrocious. I hope that they didn't just give you half of the round-trip miles back for not flying the return - they rightfully owe you compensation for the substandard leg that you did fly.

Great report, though.

Greg
rt23456p likes this.
Old May 27, 2010, 11:15 pm

Thanks

Yes that is indeed the Club World menu... and this service is not even up to the normal Club World standard. On a normal CW flight, there is a separate appetizer service, and dessert always come lastly. BA indeed owes passengers an explanation and should have informed the passengers the major "downgrade" on service.

I am glad that I have refunded my BA F award ticket. I am flying Egypt Air J instead, but at least I won't get disappointed so much.

Thanks and look forward reading your return trip report on LX if possible!

Carfield
Old May 28, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Nice report!, the food looked pretty bad and the first class lounge appeared sub-par.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by SFO777

What a far cry from SQ and only 9 pax in the same space...

Actually, SQ has 12 seats in F on the 744.

But their F cabin does seem much more spacious than BA.
Old May 28, 2010, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by macabus
Actually, SQ has 12 seats in F on the 744.
But their F cabin does seem much more spacious than BA.
Right you are, but oh those 2 seats make a world of difference.
Old May 28, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: DE,UN,StarwoodGold
Thanks so much for a very informative and nicely illustrated report, sorry the end result was a disappointment for you. Maybe on a typically great ride in BA F -- i.e., without the strike issues impacting the service -- you would find them up to expectations.

I do have one question for you: in comparing the cabin to LH, is it really significantly inferior, apart from a bit less storage? Much of what I read about the LH old F hard product is also not very complimentary, especially when compared with a genuinely 5-Star F product like SQ -- and especially if you are upstairs on LH. I have to say, service issues aside, the BA F cabin looks pretty sweet, and many seem to strongly like it, even as against most of the other European carriers if not the Asian ones...
Old May 28, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I fly upfront for the space. I hope for but never expect anything else. I have found the room in the BA 747 to be fine, but then I am usually asleep on the BA flights due to their times. It is nice when the staff, the food, and the other passengers make the flight pleasant and interesting. As you state clearly this was not the case on this flight. I do not know which side is holding the gun, but clearly BA has several large holes in its foot. I am beginning to wonder if they will ever heal.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very good, informative report and photos (and yes, one of my favorite movies also!), though of course I'm sorry to hear that you got short-changed and agree with others that if BA is going to cut back on its services due to the strike it should advise passengers beforehand. Hope you can get some miles compensation, if you're so inclined.

Also hope and expect that the new BA F is an improvement, though I guess we all realize that fewer seats mean fewer redemption opportunities.

Like timetogo1st, I also wonder about the comparison with LH F. I find LH service great (and of course there are the superb FCLs and FCT) but the hard product is behind the times. The 2x2 seating on the 747s is fine and even perhaps a bit cosier and more convenient for couples, which is the only way I've flown it, but as a solo passenger I'd much prefer most other options these days.

As for the F lounge in SF...what F lounge? I fully agree that it's lousy and below the standards you'd expect for BA and for CX for that matter, which also uses it. Unless the Club World lounge is jammed, it's actually a better option.

Hope your future trips are better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.