Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 Trains on 6 Continents ~ Connected by 44 Flights on 14 Airlines ~ PART 1

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Thanks to all of you who've read this trip report and special thanks to those of you who've taken time to comment on it. A lot of work goes into a report like this, be it writing it, proof reading it or installing all the pictures and code into it. Whether you're a regular reader who's enjoyed my reports in the past or a new reader who's only just discovered them, your positive responses validate the time invested in this report and are very, very much appreciated.

And now to answer some questions:

Originally Posted by aw
Given the choice to fly F between BA or CX, which one would you choose from a catering standpoint?
I love 'em both but I'd have to give a slight nod to CX, if only because they offer just a bit more variety, especially with their snack menu which always includes their excellent noodle soups. Honestly though, BA still offer more than enough to eat and I've generally always found their food to be quite good.

Originally Posted by Gatwick Alan
Like you I enjoy a good train journey and have done the Scottish trips you refer to. The trip to Wick isnt the most exciting and there are certainly better trips in the U.K you might well prefer. Devon is good and there are some interesting options in Wales. The Settle to Carlisle line is rightfully famous and I enjoyed tacking on a trip around the Cumbrian coast.
Thanks for these tips, Alan. I'll certainly keep them in mind when planning my next UK rail adventure.

Originally Posted by SFO777
I've always loved train travel, but am married to one not so inclined.
I hope Mrs. SFO777's aversion to train travel will change someday. Amtrak's First Class is not opulent, but it is generally comfortable and affordable relative to other overnight First Class services around the world. Perhaps a shorter ride might be amenable? On the assumption you live in the Bay Area, how about a ride on the evening Coast Starlight up to say... Portland, OR. You could depart the Bay Area on Friday night, have a nice dinner on board, maybe a nightcap in the Pacific Parlour Car, then a comfortable sleep before awaking to a hot shower followed by coffee, juice and perhaps an order of Railroad French Toast while rolling through Southern Oregon. After breakfast, enjoy the scenery as you cross the Cascades and continue up the Willamette Valley, arriving Portland about 3:30pm on Saturday afternoon. Enjoy that evening and most of Sunday in Portland before catching a short flight back down to the Bay Area. The day trip down to LA or Santa Barbara is also quite nice.

Originally Posted by skewbedew
Just curious to know how you are able to fly as often as you are.
I drive a bus seasonally in Alaska. My job requires no travel but between the occasional trip to Colorado (family, property, rental income) and clever use of mega mileage runs to accrue mileage I do pretty well for myself. I've been mileage running since 1988 and I'd like to think I'm pretty good at it as well as tenacious. I can and will spend three straight weeks flying mileage runs whereas for many people, one is enough. As well, I think nothing of saving money by spending many of my nights on airport floors.

Originally Posted by roadrunner21
Will try to do the South African train trip this year, only because of the way you described your experience; no images and lots of words!
Shosholoza Meyl's Premiere Classe trains are amongst the most affordable luxury trips on the planet. Have a great trip!

Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
You really should consider combining some of these and putting out a kindle version as a book.
That would be pretty cool but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about it. For what it's worth, all of my reports are available here on FT at no cost.

Originally Posted by MaxSpeed
Seat2A: Coach doesn't wear him down, it makes him stronger!
LOL! It's true, though

Originally Posted by opushomes
Happy travels. A few beers still await in PDX if the clouds ever align
I'm sure they will. Safe travels back from Mongolia.

Originally Posted by weean
I did find it amusing to see the probably 30+ year old rolling stock on your sleeper described as "modern aerodynamic cars".
Well, they looked modern. How about we settle for aerodynamic?
Old May 14, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond
I enjoyed reading your report, thanks for putting in so much time and energy in writing such a detailed account of your travels.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:24 pm

OH MY GOD.

I had flyertalk on my faves tab from last year and just popped on .. bored .. and found this thread.

AMAZING. Once I started to read I couldn't stop. I feel like I have travelled with you, first class, ate the food, drank the champagne, seen the sights, rode the trains etc etc. I haven't read any other travel logs like this and it is so informative, the reader certainly feels that they are with you.

Seriously, these should be published. I have a fear of flying, in fact I'd go as far as to say I hate it, but occasionally do as I'd never see some of the places I've been to, but now I feel like I want to book a flight. I actually want to travel.

Bedtime for little one in an hour, then I'm pouring myself a drink and settling down for part 2 ... and then I think I'll start on all your other reports you have linked to.

You have a real talent for writing, shame if it only gets as far as a forum. You MUST publish these.
Old May 17, 2010, 5:35 pm

War & Peace...!

Comprehensive and compelling - thanks for your time and energy in putting this together.
One teeny possible correction, on page 1 you state heathrow express goes to Kings Cross, isn't it Paddington station?
http://www.heathrowexpress.com/journey

Also, sorry but I take a slight issue with "If you’re heading north out of London by train, Euston Station is where you’ll likely need to go". East coast mainline trains from London to Edinburgh run every 30minutes or so from Kings Cross so this has at least equal prominence imho. Sorry to be pedantic.

The quote about only 15 rail lines tickled me... That's a lot for a little country that'll apparently fit into the state of Texas...

Last edited by Markieg; May 17, 2010 at 5:46 pm Reason: missed a bit
Old May 18, 2010, 8:35 am

I have had the pleasure of hanging out with Seat 2A at various airliner shows where he makes a bit of pocket money selling a few airliner postcards (of which he has quite a collection!). I have also hung out with him in an airport lounge or two sharing stories. I have quite a few stories, but not as many as he.

I really wish sometime my wife and I could share a flight together with Seat 2A, although, I really think for the long-haul, Elton really likes the experience to be solitary. I don't blame him a bit, and I respect this, as he can absorb the whole flight experience to the MAX without any distractions. I can understand this very well. No problems with that, often, when I get (rarely) in FC, I like to not have someone next to me chattering or boring conversation, etc.

Am I right Elton?
Old May 18, 2010, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by meerustar
OH MY GOD. AMAZING. Once I started to read I couldn't stop. I feel like I have travelled with you, first class, ate the food, drank the champagne, seen the sights, rode the trains etc etc. I haven't read any other travel logs like this and it is so informative, the reader certainly feels that they are with you.

Seriously, these should be published. I have a fear of flying, in fact I'd go as far as to say I hate it, but occasionally do as I'd never see some of the places I've been to, but now I feel like I want to book a flight. I actually want to travel.

You have a real talent for writing, shame if it only gets as far as a forum. You MUST publish these.
Thanks, meerustar. When it comes to writing trip reports, a huge influence and inspiration for me was David P. Morgan, the old editor of Trains magazine as well as the short-lived Airliners International (1974). As I read his reports, I was transported aboard every one of those flights with him. I think if you truely enjoy your subject, it will show in your writing in a positive way. I'm glad to hear I'm still able to transmit some of the magic and wonder of flight.

As to publishing, I fear it's a pretty small market for this kind of stuff. Look at FlyerTalk here - only a fraction of the membership comes to Trip Reports and a much smaller fraction reads and enjoys my reports. For me, FT is a great place to post to an appreciative audience but honestly, I doubt anyone would pay even $400.00 to publish this report - less than a day's pay. So I suspect my writing "career" is pretty well limited to the Trip Report forum.

Markeig, I always welcome corrections, so thanks. BTW, I think the 15 rail lines was referring to the total platforms/lines that emanated from the Euston Station.

ExGateAgt - I'd love to travel in First Class with you and/or anyone else. It's great to share the experience and International First Class is one of life's best. The problem, of course, is that no one I know has enough money, mileage or time to accompany me in First Class and, aside from domestic First Class awards, I don't have enough mileage to spring for them.

As for travel, the same applies although I have often met friends enroute as well as travelled briefly (3 weeks or less) with some. We've always had a great time, though I do definitely appreciate the freedom I have as a solo traveler since I can occasionally be downright impulsive - Chile today, Africa tomorrow when I thought I was only going to Argentina!
Old May 18, 2010, 1:52 pm

Thanks for another trip report

Thanks for another wonderful trip report!

I really enjoy it and the train rides sound good. I am definitely going to start looking into "rail travel" in the future!

Thanks,
Carfield
Old May 21, 2010, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice report. Seat2A, next time you are in the UK you really should give the Fort William sleeper a try. Waking with the West Highlands outside the window is delightful. Heading on from there to Mallaig is a treat. The Settle to Carlisle line is also well worth the trip even if the mountains are a little less impressive than Alaska.
Old May 21, 2010, 12:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Nice report. Seat2A, next time you are in the UK you really should give the Fort William sleeper a try. Waking with the West Highlands outside the window is delightful. Heading on from there to Mallaig is a treat. The Settle to Carlisle line is also well worth the trip even if the mountains are a little less impressive than Alaska.
I'll vouch for that, Fort William is a wonderfully exquisite little town, and to wake up on the sleeper and then wander off to explore the town was one of the things I enjoyed when I did it back in 2002 (last time I did a UK Sleeper train).

Dave
Old May 21, 2010, 2:24 pm

Another engaging report there Seat 2A.

Engaging is the perfect adjective to describe your reports and writing style, once I start reading I literally can't stop.

On to part 2...
Old May 24, 2010, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Seat2A, next time you are in the UK you really should give the Fort William sleeper a try. Waking with the West Highlands outside the window is delightful. Heading on from there to Mallaig is a treat. The Settle to Carlisle line is also well worth the trip even if the mountains are a little less impressive than Alaska.
Next time I'm in the UK I'll look forward to doing ALL of these runs. I've seen the pictures - the landscapes are as pretty as you'll find anywhere on the planet.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: Eurobonus silver
Great trip report with some incredible photos! It almost took me two hours to read it and a couple of beers. I really like the long travel reports.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

Although it wasn’t yet noon, I helped myself to a Windhoek Lager from the well stocked beer fridge.

This is by far my favorite African lager and since I’ve yet to see it sold anywhere off the continent (although I’ll bet it’s available in Germany)
Believe it or not but the beer can be bought in Sweden at Systembolaget, the Swedish Alcohol Retail Monopoly.

I am impressed by the fact that BA’s Terraces Lounge at SFO do have Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, very nice!

What kind of beers do Cathay Pacific have onboard?

Regards,

Scandinavian
Old May 26, 2010, 5:29 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
If you’re heading north out of London by train, Euston Station is where you’ll likely need to go. With only fifteen track platforms, it’s not a classically large station but it certainly is a busy place with plenty of people hustling to and from trains that leave or arrive about every 5-10 minutes.
Interesting you say this, as Euston by UK standards is a very large station! It has 17 platforms, by the way

London Victoria has 19, and I don't think they get much bigger than that. St Pancras, by contrast, has just 13 (15 if you count downstairs). Waterloo has 19 as well now, though I suppose it made 23 when it had the international station as well.

Neil
Old May 26, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by Weean
Just as an aside, I did find it amusing to see the probably 30+ year old rolling stock on your sleeper described as "modern aerodynamic cars". In the UK we poor rail travellers feel hard done by when we see what the rest of the continent & Japan has, but I suppose we should count ourselves lucky we're not in N America... That said, I don't think we've anything like Amtrak's California Zephyr.
I think it shows just how much of a timeless design the British Rail Mk3 coach is. They were built in the 1970s so are somewhere between 30 and 40 years old. The only giveaway, though, is the lack of automatic doors.

Neil
Old May 26, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
All the sudden, I am craving some train travel

Nice report, starting part 2 now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.