Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ route oddities & One World turns by night (redeye special)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Over the past ten years, have you ever spent more than a month or two between flights?
I think we can safely say No.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Over the past ten years, have you ever spent more than a month or two between flights?
Originally Posted by MrSydney
I think we can safely say No.
Actually I have had the 4 week period without flying most years.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

HONG KONG to AUCKLAND (HKG-AKL) on Cathay Pacific A340-300747-400 in business class

There was a short queue at security and I was soon in The Wing lounge, F side. I had some drinks, caught up on some work and had a shower. I felt I needed to stretch my legs so I walked to The Pier lounge where I had some more drinks. The lounges weren't too full and so my glass was being replenished rather quickly. I soon lost track of the time only to realise suddenly that it was time to head to the gate halfway down the pier.

Through luck I timed it well, being later than I intended but so was the boarding. When I booked the flight was a 2-class A340, but subsequently changed to 3-class 747 for the peak southern summer season. I had faint hopes of an op-up, as I was travelling in the busiest week of the year for arrivals to NZ. However, the load was insufficiently high (indeed rather light in business class and only 2 passengers in first!).

We got a pre-departure drink, menu and amenity kit. I was disappointed in the menu although the drinks were okay. Boarding was fairly quick and we were soon on our way.

I watched a movie. We had dinner. After dinner water bottles were handed out. Sleep deprivation eventually caught up with me and I fell into a deep sleep.

At one stage during the night there was a call for a doctor, which woke me up. I wondered if we might divert but there was no sign at the time and indeed we didn't. I noticed a crew member had switched off my light and screen after I'd fallen asleep. I wanted to watch another movie so I wouldn't be sleeping all flight and then muck up my body clock by arriving early afternoon having just woken up. However sleep won out again.

I awoke when breakfast was served about an hour before arrival.

We had some nice views of the Northland peninsula and many harbours, although it isn't too easy seeing out due to the herringbone design.

We got gate 9 at the end of the main pier. A long walk to immigration. However, first there was a problem with the airbridge. It wouldn't move and after half an hour standing in the aisles they called for air stairs. This took a while to set up and get sufficient ground staff in place to make sure we don't wander anywhere on the tarmac other than along the pier to the bus gate entrance at gate 4D. We disembarked about 45 minutes after arriving.

By this time there were some other arrivals including Malaysian, so I expected bad queues at immigration. I picked up my duty free order along the way. Smartgate which was deserted so I saved probably 20 minutes queuing at immigration and another 20 minutes at customs. This time I got to use lane A, so the x-ray was fast (no queue).
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific
Business Class menu
Hong Kong to Auckland
January 2010

Dinner

Starters

Cajun spiced prawns with green mango salad

Mixed salad with cherry tomato, celery, carrot and citrus vinaigrette

Main Courses

Steamed beef shin with shimeji mushrooms in soya sauce, steamed jasmine rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Honey and clove braised pork cheek, celeriac puree and root vegetables

Chicken with Chinese sausage, steamed jasmine rice and Chinese mixed vegetables

Saffron and ricotta tortelini in creamy tomato concasse

Cheese and Dessert

Pecorino, St Pauline, Camembert

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fresh fruit tart with raspberry coulis

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Snacks

Beef and vegetable pastie with salad and creamy Italian dressing

Ice cream

From our series of classic Signature dishes
Fish ball and cuttle fist ball with ho fun noodle in soup
Chicken and black mushrooms with noodle in soup

Brunch

Starters

Orange or apple juice

Forest berry smoothie

Fresh seasonal fruit

Fruit yoghurt

Assorted cereals

Main Courses

Omelette with pan-fried streaky bacon, Lyonnaise potatoes with parsley, sauteed shimeji mushrooms and roasted vine ripen tomato

Dim sum served with chilli sauce
pork siu mai with scallop, spinach seafood dumpling, chicken with ham wrapped in bean curd sheet, conpoy vegetable dumpling and beef meatball

Sun-dried tomato and feta cheese frittata, pan-fried potato cake with cheese and spring onion, maple turkey sausage, creamed spinach and vine ripen tomato

Bread Basket

Assorted breakfast bread
served with preserves, honey and butter

Tea and Coffee

Pralines

Drink List

Juices

orange, apple, tomato

Soft Drinks

Coke Zero, Coke Light, Sprite, Perrier water, tonic water, soda water and ginger ale

Coke Zero is now available on selected flights

Coffees

freshly brewed coffee, espresso, cappuccino and caffe latte
regular or decaffeinated

Teas

Hong Kong style milk tea
Ceylon, Japanese, jasmine, iced Oolong tea
organic selection : camomile, earl grey and peppermint

Hot Chocolate

107-40593J<01/10>

Wine List

Champagne

Champagne Deutz, Brut Classic
This award winning champagne features lovely aromas and flavours of pear and citrus fruit. Layered with toasted hazelnut, honey and sweet vanilla notes, the wine is balanced by refreshing acidity with a long, lingering finish. It is a perfect aperitif and goes well with delicate dishes.

White Wines

P Ferraud & Fils Vire-Clesse 2008
This is a refreshing wine from Vire-Clesse, a relatively new appellation to Burgundy. The P Ferraud & Fils Vire-Clesse 2008 has attractive aromas of a classic burgundy wine, underlined with characters of citrus fruits, and a good balance of fruit and acidity. The finish is long and delicate.

Trinity Hill Sauvignon Blanc 2008
This award winning wine is produced in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. The aroma of gooseberries is distinctive with gentle notes of citrus, passion fruit and nectarine. It is fresh and zingy with notes of minerals. Enjoy this delicious wine with seafood or fish dishes.

Red Wines

Vieux Chateau Landon Cru Bourgeois 2005
Vieux Chateau Landon, situated in the Medoc area of Bordeaux, produces delicious wines in limited quantity of which a large portion is being served exclusively on Cathay Pacific. The 2005 vintage exhibits fruit scents of cherry and blackcurrant with a touch of vanilla. It is well balanced with soft tannins and flavours of black fruit, which leads to a round and delicate finish. It matches most red meat dishes perfectly.

Spy Valley Pinot Noir 2007
This excellent Pinot Noir is produced in Marlborough, New Zealand. It offers hints of perfume and flowers with rich plummy fruit and a background of dark chocolate. The tannins are firm with a supple, velvety finish. It is a versatile wine that complements most of the meat dishes.

Port

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage Port 2004
This wine is sourced from the same vineyards that in exceptional years produce Dow's renowned Vintage Ports. It is aged solely in oak casks and bottled 5 to 6 years after the harvest. It is a full rich Port with spicy fruit flavours and an elegant aromatic nose, well rounded on the palate and has the traditional Dow's drier finish. This makes it one of the finest Late Bottled Vintage Ports available.

Aperitifs and Cocktails

Sake, Gin, Rum, Vodka, Martini Rosso, Martini Extra Dry, Campari, Sweet and Dry Sherry, Bloody Mary, Screwdriver

Whiskies

Chivas Regal 12 Years Old, Johnnie Walker Gold Label, Jack Daniel's, Canadian Club

Cognac

Hine "Rare and Delicate" Fine Champagne

Liqueurs

Drambuie, Cointreau, Bailey's Irish Cream

Beer

International selection

CX signature drinks

Oriental Breeze
A sour-plum tea and cranberry juice based non-alcoholic drink with honey and fresh lemon juice and a hint of rose water.

Cloud Nine
A refreshing combination of Vodka, Cointreau and Sprite with a refreshing touch of lemon flavour.

107,107,117,118 1-1-2010
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:05 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
You can always guarantee that Chirstmas and New Years always brings along a Kiwi Flyer Trip Report present.
Thanks it was an interesting read in particular of South America and Cyprus.^
No matter how often or varied your travels you seem to always strike a different "travellers moment".
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:10 am

Programs: NZ Silver+Exec Club Blue+Priority Club
Goodness what an amazing report!

My head is swimming with all the twists and turns of your journey. Fantastic detail, there were experiences in there that we can all relate too! I felt that dread of the missed alarm on your AKL-SYD Lan leg.

The last few pages have been a great read which has whet my appetite for my own upcoming journey- my first as a new member of flyertalk.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:14 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Welcome to FT, milan luka!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:32 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyer Talk milan luka

Hopefully you don't miss your alarm.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
Finally finished reading this trip report - I am in awe (as usual when it comes to Kiwi Flyer's reports...). Great trip report - you really know how to maximize the enjoyment of flying. ^
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:56 am

KF - you tease - how can you blog about a trip without posting an accompanying trip report?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjclancy
KF - you tease - how can you blog about a trip without posting an accompanying trip report?
Hey I don't write up every trip in detail.

If you're curious, the menus are posted here and here.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond
Great trip report!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Hey I don't write up every trip in detail.
No worries - your reports are just so good we're left hungry for more!
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, VS, SQ, AS
Kiwi

Though the last post to this thread was 10 months ago, I am awakening this thread to pay hommage to your travel stamina. Lord, how I long to be able to do back-to-back flights as you do....

How you managed to remain calm during the computer outage at Guam immigration is beyond me. I would have had a stroke!

Love your TRs!!!!

putongo

Last edited by putongo; Dec 28, 2010 at 12:58 am Reason: grammar
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

When you travel enough, bad stuff happens from time to time. Most of the time it works out okay, whether by way of luck or karma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.