Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

New Swiss First Class: DUS-ZRH-ORD / ORD-ZRH-ORD (A333)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2009, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Finally HON

First of, please take my apologies for not being an English native speaker. I hope you are going to enjoy my travel report anyways

Back in August my wife and I were booked on the nonstop flight from DUS-ORD on the LH A340-300. Nonstop is always the preferable way to fly – especially since our 1 1/2 year old daughter were traveling with us.
But then I heard that Swiss would fly ZRH-ORD with their new Airbus 330-300 for a limited only and that it would be still the case on the dates of our trip.

Since LH has a quite poor First Class product I took the risk of annoying my daughter with 2 extra take-offs and landings. Especially the latter often causes pain in infants ears.

Let me state it mildly: it was worth it. But see for yourself!

Düsseldorf has a special First Class check-in

Usually it is very empty here, this day was exceptionally crowded

The essential things

Lufthansa Senator lounge (No First Class lounge in DUS). Nice place to wait, but far from being something special. Pretty crowded, too.

Onboard our A320 to ZRH in Business

Welcome to the Swiss First Class lounge

Reception desk

Very spacious and designed in a great way

I was impressed by their book shelf ;-) , but the wine offering was a bit underwhelming, nothing special here.

A personal assistant walked another passenger and us to a special security line

We were then brought to the International Terminal by car (Mercedes V with a nice interior)

On our way to the Int. terminal. I was a bit irritated that we then had to go through security again. Afterwards there was no limo-service to the plane. We entered through the front finger and turned left

Our seats: 2D and 2 G

The First cabin is awesome! Very spacious with a great design

Being in this cabin feels like being in a private jet. Only 8 seats available, 5 were taken...

MORE TO COME...

Last edited by Treppenhauer; Nov 12, 2009 at 7:38 am
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Of course, one of the first things I checked out was the menu. BTW: The Pommery Cuvee Louise 1998 was a nice Champagne to be greeted with.

The menu. Sorry, I only took a picture of the German page.

An amuse bouche. Sorry, can't remember what it was.

The table (out of solid wood) was nicely set.

"Mosaic" of beef with garden vegetables. A fancy version of corned beef that tasted yummy.

A Very fresh salad with a very good Caesar's dressing.

Tomato consommé with a cheese grissini and basil sorbet. Very fresh and creative. The basil sorbet fitted the consommé perfectly.

Ooops, I guess I was very hungry. This was a beef filet with summer morels and chili linguine, carrots and green asparagus. Surprisingly they managed to "cook" the beef Medium

My dessert: a cherry Schnaps cake. A great way to end a meal.

Supplementary choices.

A very good, but not outstanding wine list.

Cheese... of course!

I love Nespresso coffee

Some time after the menu my daughter was surprised by a yummy caramel icecream.

Before landing there was more food.

I wasn't that hungry, so I only ate the Quiche.

Yes, this is how a great Espresso looks!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Poster

One of the best things about the flight: the seat right next to my wife was empty, so she was able to put our daughter to sleep. She took her normal 2 hour noontime nap. The rest of the time we had fun playing and drawing etc.

The entertainment system crashed a few times during the flight. Fortunately I was hardly using it. They shouldn't have based it on Windows (writing these words on a Mac)
Old Nov 11, 2009, 7:40 am
Original Poster

**** our flight back coming up soon... ****
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Very nice pics! The inflight video screens are HUGE. Only negative comment I would have is that the seats are not as private as those on other airlines that have upgraded their First Suites.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:56 am

Well-done!

Danke.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by Treppenhauer
The entertainment system crashed a few times during the flight. Fortunately I was hardly using it. They shouldn't have based it on Windows (writing these words on a Mac)
Good thing they based it on Linux instead

Well done report. LX F continues to make me drool
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: *Gold
Cool TR sofar. Keep it coming!

Swiss first is just

That's Red Hat Linux by the way, not Windows
Old Nov 12, 2009, 12:36 am

Nice report! Looking forward to more.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 5:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Top notch report! Can't wait for the rest!
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Let me first tell you something that I forgot in my report of the flight ZRH-ORD: all of our bags had those nice tags on them (see below). I'm sure they were one of the first bags on the conveyer in ORD, BUT: the immigration process took us almost an hour. The air in the "welcome hall" was really bad and my daughter very tired. There is no VIP handling for First Class passengers and no special treatment for people with small kids Standing in a huge line after an 8h30m flight is exhausting...

Anywho, here we go again.

Going back from ORD to ZRH was exciting for us, because it was a night flight and we really hoped that our daughter would get some sleep.

First of I would like to make a remark concerning three things not included in my photo report:
1. The Van Laack pyjama is really nice looking and made in a high quality. I didn't wear it onboard, but at home it's both comfy and a reminder of this great trip... a discrete embroidery says "Swiss First"
2. the lavatory in First Class is rather small and can only be accessed by going through the galley, which was kind of awkward sometimes... e.g. when the FAs eat. Besides that I thought it was nice to have real towels in the lavatory.
3. The amenity kit featured products from Swiss brand "la prairie"... quite nice, but they have women products only... would have hoped for something more unisex.

Anyways, our trip started at the First Class check-in at O'Hare. I asked them if there is some sort of special treatment for going through security... good that I asked: from this moment on we had a personal assistant who rushed us through security and accompanied us to the First Class lounge.

You enter through the main entrance and go right for the Business Lounge and left for the First Class lounge. Now that First Class lounge was tiny! 30 minutes after we arrived every single seat was taken... and I'm talking about approx. 15 seats. I had a look at the Business lounge and it was a lot larger, but really crowded, too. Spending time in the FC lounge wasn't bad, but I would have expected a better and larger assortment of food and drinks. In Lufthansa standards it would have been inadequate for a Business lounge offering.

For boarding our PA picked us up from the lounge and brought us to the gate. She made sure that we were one of the first passengers to board the plane and greeted us goodbye after we took our seats... at 2D and 2G again.

In the dim lighting the cabin looked even nicer...

My favorite "magazine"

I didn't take the salmon, but the seafood and ordered beef again

Yes, salad again. Still really good. The FA puts on the dressing in front of your eyes

The champagne was drinking very good ^

Nice seafood dish

I preferred the inbound beef fillet. This dish was a bit dry overall

The best photo of all! My daughter has fallen to sleep 30 min. after take-off and woke up 30 min. prior to landing!!! You can see why it worked out so well, she had some space Myself slept for 2 1/2 hours after a cocktail of 2001 Rioja Reserva, 18 year old Scotch and 20 year old Port

Last edited by Treppenhauer; Nov 12, 2009 at 7:42 am
Old Nov 12, 2009, 7:30 am
Original Poster

After I woke up I felt some sort of dizzy Breakfast was a good way to get sober

Fresh fruits and a strong coffee... perfect!

Almost there: Paris, France.

OK, agreed, Linux based, BUT still not working well

Back in Zurich. After arrival we didn't get a special treatment at all... we had to use the crowded train going to the main terminal. Since there were a lot of passengers, we had to wait for the third train... it was the first time on this trip that I was really disappointed... when you go TO the plane you get a PA and limo service, but when you arrive you get NOTHING!? Anyways, the nice lounge got us relaxed again.

Alright! For our flight to DUS we were taken directly to the plane by... no, not that Mercedes S-Class...

... but the V-class again. I'm sure the driver thought that our small family would feel cramped on the S-Class backseat

An Avro RJ100 brought us safely back to DUS. A long journey after all. There is no way of not feeling tired after a night flight from the US. But in my eyes it's hard to imagine a better way of flying.

Thank you all for reading my first trip report and thanks for your kind words. If you have any questions or remarks, just let me know.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: US Dividend Miles
Thanks for the post, Treppenhauer! I'm scheduling flights soon for Europe next spring and trying to decide between LH and LX for the TATL leg. Hmm... You do make a compelling argument for LX... ^
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K , Delta Gold
LX looks good ! love reading your report, thanks
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:14 am

Programs: BA G , SPG Plt
Thanks for good report

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.