Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

BAD etiquette in Airline Lounge

Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Place is packed right now big time. I simply got up to go to the bathroom and was gone maybe 3-4 minutes. I have my laptop on one of the desks by the bathrooms with a newspaper as well as 1 drink left on the desktop with my bag underneath.

I come back and my stuff has been moved to one of the chairs maybe 10 feet away. All my stuff is moved! My cord unplugged, MY LAPTOP CLOSED!

The person sitting there claims it wasn't them. I honestly didn't know what to say for a few seconds with my jaw down. I ask the two people at other desks and they say they didn't see anything or whatever. It is almost like this person paid people off not to say anything. I think this is something most people don't even want to get involved with and simply claim ignorance. I'm very laid back but this was irritating at best.

Anyone with something similiar? This is just plain wrong IMO.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

You left your laptop/stuff unchained?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Sep 18, 2009 at 1:15 pm Reason: fixed
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I'm just happy that you didn't report your stuff missing.
Leaving that exposed in NY, and this thread goes in a different direction.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Just be glad there weren't any TSA folks around or else your things would be being blown up out on the tarmac somewhere.

At LAX a few months ago, I was using the restroom near bag reclaim after I picked up my things. I left my suitcase about a foot behind me while I took care of my business. When I stepped back, there was a smurf there eying my things and he made a point of asking me if they were mine. Sheesh!
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week in the DL Sky Lounge in ATL there were 3 people loudly blabbing away on there cellphones in the Quiet Room with the sign visibly at the entrance. I mentioned it to one of the lounge dragon and she said "Sorry about that" and went back to her crossword puzzle.

MisterNice
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Wow, and here I was thinking I was un-surpriseable.

I'd have been pretty p!ssed off myself, and I'm rarely ever angry...glad you kept your cool, though.

Will
Old Sep 18, 2009, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friday lounge behavior is usually pretty bad, but this is a new low.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 7:35 pm

Programs: all the big ones.. no LCCs for me
Originally Posted by schley
Place is packed right now big time. I simply got up to go to the bathroom and was gone maybe 3-4 minutes. I have my laptop on one of the desks by the bathrooms with a newspaper as well as 1 drink left on the desktop with my bag underneath.

I come back and my stuff has been moved to one of the chairs maybe 10 feet away. All my stuff is moved! My cord unplugged, MY LAPTOP CLOSED!

The person sitting there claims it wasn't them. I honestly didn't know what to say for a few seconds with my jaw down. I ask the two people at other desks and they say they didn't see anything or whatever. It is almost like this person paid people off not to say anything. I think this is something most people don't even want to get involved with and simply claim ignorance. I'm very laid back but this was irritating at best.

Anyone with something similiar? This is just plain wrong IMO.
what was the person sitting there doing? did that person have all their stuff out or just sitting there? if you were only gone 3-4 minutes then they couldn't have had that much time to get stuff out and spread it around or if they did then it was obviously them.. or were you gone longer? not that it makes it right but.. i find it hard to believe that in 3-4 minutes that they could do all that and then get t hemselves comfy in your space

if they were.. then it was obviously them
Old Sep 18, 2009, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts
what was the person sitting there doing? did that person have all their stuff out or just sitting there? if you were only gone 3-4 minutes then they couldn't have had that much time to get stuff out and spread it around or if they did then it was obviously them.. or were you gone longer? not that it makes it right but.. i find it hard to believe that in 3-4 minutes that they could do all that and then get t hemselves comfy in your space

if they were.. then it was obviously them
I was gone literally no more than 5 minutes tops for sure and the guy had a laptop open and was typing. I did a double take thinking I might have been wrong about where I was sitting. When I saw my stuff on the chair I was thinking ... is going on here? Everyone played dumb, I asked 3 people. The guy who was sitting there, and two other people who were there. No one knew anything. Bottom line whoever did this has it on their conscious and that is something they will have to live with.

He wasn't comfy and looked like he was just starting to get settled. He admitted that he just sat down but said that he didn't touch anything that it must have already been moved when he came.

Oh well perhaps too trusting.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:08 pm
EOS

Programs: Premier Exec: All Star Alliance affiliated
Simple answer

I was gone literally no more than 5 minutes tops for sure and the guy had a laptop open and was typing. I did a double take thinking I might have been wrong about where I was sitting. When I saw my stuff on the chair I was thinking ... is going on here? Everyone played dumb, I asked 3 people. The guy who was sitting there, and two other people who were there. No one knew anything. Bottom line whoever did this has it on their conscious and that is something they will have to live with.

He wasn't comfy and looked like he was just starting to get settled. He admitted that he just sat down but said that he didn't touch anything that it must have already been moved when he came.

Oh well perhaps too trusting.

Simple solution: don't put yourself in this position again. Could have been one of the staff directed to 'clear up'. Things happen. You were lucky they weren't stolen or damaged. Moving feels like a violation...but it is the least bad thing that could have happened if you were going to neglect your precious belongings. Safe travels.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Best to get the business out of the way before the notebook comes out and such, once you enter the lounge.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is this intra-lounge leave stuff alone vs TSA a real tend to leave stuff in lounges all the time.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by MisterNice
Last week in the DL Sky Lounge in ATL there were 3 people loudly blabbing away on there cellphones in the Quiet Room with the sign visibly at the entrance. I mentioned it to one of the lounge dragon and she said "Sorry about that" and went back to her crossword puzzle.

MisterNice
Yep dragons are not likely to get involved. I normally take matters into my own hands and attract their attention and then say "I'd like to draw your attention the this sign" and point at the sign designating the area as a quiet area. 100% success rate and hasn't (so far) drawn any negative/retaliatory comments or feedback.

- Tim

Last edited by timfountain; Sep 23, 2009 at 1:48 pm
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
O had something similar to OP's experience at the LAX RCC. Laptop plugged in and turned on, sitting on one of desks. I leave for a minute to get snacks and a beverage, and come back to someone sitting their making a phone call.

Originally Posted by EOS
Simple solution: don't put yourself in this position again. Could have been one of the staff directed to 'clear up'. Things happen. You were lucky they weren't stolen or damaged. Moving feels like a violation...but it is the least bad thing that could have happened if you were going to neglect your precious belongings. Safe travels.
Yep, it is always the victims fault and never the violators fault.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
...Bottom line whoever did this has it on their conscious and that is something they will have to live with...
My guess is that the person who did this will never give it a second thought.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.