Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is this picture real (duct tape on plane wing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:18 am
Original Poster

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1319/80712675.jpg

Friend e-mailed me this picture, wondering if anyone knows if it's actually real and if so what's the story behind it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:32 am

Regular Duct tape is only 100 MPH tape. This is the fancier 600 MPH tape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape

Originally Posted by nfg05
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1319/80712675.jpg

Friend e-mailed me this picture, wondering if anyone knows if it's actually real and if so what's the story behind it.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you google

Duct Tape Airplane Wing or Duct Tape Plane Wing

You will find several stories from people who say they saw (and in some cases videoed) duct type tape being used for repairs. It's normally called Speed Tape, good to 600 mph. Makes you wonder if it's the same stuff, just priced much higher
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:06 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Moving this to TravelBuzz!.

Please continue to follow at it's new home.

Cholula
OMNI Co-Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mcrt
Regular Duct tape is only 100 MPH tape. This is the fancier 600 MPH tape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape
I thought you were being facetious about the speed tape! You know, like speed holes...
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
3M manufactures an adhesive-backed soft aluminum tape for aviation applications.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not something that I want to see looking out the window.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by annerj
I agree Duct tape is awesome and all but I don't want it holding my plane together.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:33 pm

In fairness, that isn't the "wing" strictly speaking, it is the winglets. It is designed to reduce drag by stopping vortex from forming at the end of the wind rather than to provide lift within its own right.

If one fell off or broke for example it is unlikely to cause a fatal accident unless during takeoff/landing or if it damaged some other vital system. The pilot might have to increase engine power and compensate for the aircraft losing its equilibrium.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
I spotted duct tape on the wing of the first and last flight I took on Vietnam Airways.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Also discussed at some length in this thread from a few months ago.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by annerj
Oh, come on. Isn't duct tape like The Force? There's a light side and a dark side and it holds the entire universe together?

Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:08 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AZ Club Ulisse
That's something I would definitely NOT want to see on a plane I'd be boarding on.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:43 am

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
I am the umpa lumpa, who taped it with an ulltra aerodynamic tape called "rocket glide" . Well, the intention is that the plane can now also fly backwards
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:51 am

I'd be worried. But I take comfort that this is on the "unusual accident" page.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/unusual.htm

10/02/1996 Aeroperu
B-757-200 Pasamayo, Peru
The aircraft crashed into the ocean 28 minutes after taking off from Lima, Peru. Pieces of duct tape were found covering sensors, placed there by personnel during aircraft maintenance causing the malfunction of instruments. The crew was not able to correctly determine their altitude and airspeed and with no ground reference over water and at night, crashed into the ocean killing all 70 aboard. A maintenance worker was tried and convicted of negligent homicide for failing to remove the adhesive tape and received 2 years in jail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.