Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

can you carryon or check live maine lobsters?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Flying into ATL and got a request to bring a couple with me. Was planning on packing light and not checking luggage. Will they let me carry them on the plane? Will I have to check a bag with them?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If you buy them post-security, yes, you can carry lobsters on board. There used to be a place at BOS to buy live lobsters for carry-on.

I doubt the airlines would care to accept live lobsters as checked baggage because they might die, and dead lobsters in a hot cargo hold for a certain length of time could be, ah, fragrant.

Where are you flying from?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:15 pm
Suspended

LGA used to have a place after security in the main terminal. I haven't been in the main terminal for a few years.

You can also bring them yourself but can't keep them in water. Water is a known terrorist fluid! You can keep them on dry ice or even store them dry if it's not too long. There may be dry ice limitations.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Taking an early am BOS-ATL flight and pretty sure they will be fine for the short duration of flight. They live a LONG time out of water.

Considering a local supermarket has them going for 3.99- 4.99/lb I really doubt I can get a better deal anywhere.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by kukukajoo
Taking an early am BOS-ATL flight and pretty sure they will be fine for the short duration of flight. They live a LONG time out of water.
On the ground with proper care, I supposed.

You better find a way to transport and keep them alive (or iced) before being cooked. I doubt anyone would enjoy a stinky lobster, $3.99/lb or not.

Originally Posted by BearX220
... and dead lobsters in a hot cargo hold for a certain length of time could be, ah, fragrant.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Dry ice is cheap enough. They last for several days out of water in a fridge. Flight is short enough and price cheap enough to take a risk in my book.

I can also cut em up and freeze and bring just claws and tails to save space. Have shipped like that before.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:55 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Actually they are packed in brine which is corrosive to aircraft controls.

Brine spillage from fish and seafood is corrosive. Lobsters, mussels, oysters etc. must be packaged in leak proof containers and then be packed in plastic bags inside *waxed* cartons. Perishable items require that a limited release form be signed at check-in.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../security.html
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
do they still pack lobsters in dry ice? the reason i ask is iirc, you are allowed to pack with dry ice.

i can't remember where i grabbed this from and my bad as i usually have a link to go with my copy 'n pastes but.....

Dry Ice (frozen carbon dioxide): Up to four pounds (1.8 kg) may be carried on board for packing perishables providing the package is vented
also, there is this thread and this post which links to this from the faa

n.b. dry ice is frozen C02 which is a gas and not a liquid, gel or aerosol
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:24 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
I flew out of Bangor on Friday and saw 3 people bring lobster boxes though.

Place them in a wax lined cardboard box on top of damp paper towels. Keep the towels damp as needed.

They will be fine for a few hours.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PropWasher
Actually they are packed in brine which is corrosive to aircraft controls.

Brine spillage from fish and seafood is corrosive. Lobsters, mussels, oysters etc. must be packaged in leak proof containers and then be packed in plastic bags inside *waxed* cartons. Perishable items require that a limited release form be signed at check-in.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../security.html
Lobsters are packed dry here in NH. I have NEVER seen them packed any other way. They just toss them into a foil lined bag at the fish counter and off you go. I empty out a produce drawer and toss em in until we eat em.

Thanks MKEBound and others. I will be getting a wax lined box to bring them in.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:13 pm

Flying into ATL and got a request to bring a couple with me. Was planning on packing light and not checking luggage. Will they let me carry them on the plane? Will I have to check a bag with them?
I hope I'm not too late on this one, and I'm not sure where you're staying, but from my experience (I was on Mount Desert Island) any local lobster pound will ship them same-day or overnight service for you. I suggest buying the lobsters at a pound because, while they may be more expensive, they are always much fresher. They also get to the destination with much less hassle on your end.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
n.b. dry ice is frozen C02 which is a gas and not a liquid, gel or aerosol
I still want to see someone freeze a bottle of water solid and try to take that through security. "It's not a liquid, it's solid, see!"

Incidentally they sell lobsters post-security at YHZ as well. Not sure how that helps anyone.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:13 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Just make sure the airline doesn't consider them as pets and charge you a pet fee .
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
I still want to see someone freeze a bottle of water solid and try to take that through security. "It's not a liquid, it's solid, see!"
Nice one there, but they'd probably consider that as one of those jokes about a "terroristic device" that "isn't funny".
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:49 pm

Some pack them in frozen vegetables.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.