FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   can you carryon or check live maine lobsters? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/985433-can-you-carryon-check-live-maine-lobsters.html)

kukukajoo Aug 15, 2009 2:39 pm

can you carryon or check live maine lobsters?

Flying into ATL and got a request to bring a couple with me. Was planning on packing light and not checking luggage. Will they let me carry them on the plane? Will I have to check a bag with them?

BearX220 Aug 15, 2009 3:13 pm

If you buy them post-security, yes, you can carry lobsters on board. There used to be a place at BOS to buy live lobsters for carry-on.

I doubt the airlines would care to accept live lobsters as checked baggage because they might die, and dead lobsters in a hot cargo hold for a certain length of time could be, ah, fragrant.

Where are you flying from?

A390 Aug 15, 2009 3:15 pm

LGA used to have a place after security in the main terminal. I haven't been in the main terminal for a few years.

You can also bring them yourself but can't keep them in water. Water is a known terrorist fluid! You can keep them on dry ice or even store them dry if it's not too long. There may be dry ice limitations.

kukukajoo Aug 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Taking an early am BOS-ATL flight and pretty sure they will be fine for the short duration of flight. They live a LONG time out of water.

Considering a local supermarket has them going for 3.99- 4.99/lb I really doubt I can get a better deal anywhere.

lin821 Aug 15, 2009 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by kukukajoo (Post 12231260)
Taking an early am BOS-ATL flight and pretty sure they will be fine for the short duration of flight. They live a LONG time out of water.

On the ground with proper care, I supposed.

You better find a way to transport and keep them alive (or iced) before being cooked. I doubt anyone would enjoy a stinky lobster, $3.99/lb or not. ;)

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 12231226)
... and dead lobsters in a hot cargo hold for a certain length of time could be, ah, fragrant.

kukukajoo Aug 15, 2009 3:54 pm

Dry ice is cheap enough. They last for several days out of water in a fridge. Flight is short enough and price cheap enough to take a risk in my book.

I can also cut em up and freeze and bring just claws and tails to save space. Have shipped like that before.

PropWasher Aug 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by kukukajoo (Post 12231260)

Actually they are packed in brine which is corrosive to aircraft controls.

Brine spillage from fish and seafood is corrosive. Lobsters, mussels, oysters etc. must be packaged in leak proof containers and then be packed in plastic bags inside *waxed* cartons. Perishable items require that a limited release form be signed at check-in.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../security.html

goalie Aug 15, 2009 3:57 pm

do they still pack lobsters in dry ice? the reason i ask is iirc, you are allowed to pack with dry ice.

i can't remember where i grabbed this from and my bad as i usually have a link to go with my copy 'n pastes but.....

Dry Ice (frozen carbon dioxide): Up to four pounds (1.8 kg) may be carried on board for packing perishables providing the package is vented
also, there is this thread and this post which links to this from the faa

n.b. dry ice is frozen C02 which is a gas and not a liquid, gel or aerosol ;)

MKEbound Aug 15, 2009 4:24 pm

I flew out of Bangor on Friday and saw 3 people bring lobster boxes though.

Place them in a wax lined cardboard box on top of damp paper towels. Keep the towels damp as needed.

They will be fine for a few hours.

kukukajoo Aug 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by PropWasher (Post 12231359)
Actually they are packed in brine which is corrosive to aircraft controls.

Brine spillage from fish and seafood is corrosive. Lobsters, mussels, oysters etc. must be packaged in leak proof containers and then be packed in plastic bags inside *waxed* cartons. Perishable items require that a limited release form be signed at check-in.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin.../security.html

Lobsters are packed dry here in NH. I have NEVER seen them packed any other way. They just toss them into a foil lined bag at the fish counter and off you go. I empty out a produce drawer and toss em in until we eat em.

Thanks MKEBound and others. I will be getting a wax lined box to bring them in.

ferrarixp Aug 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by kukukajoo (Post 12231105)
Flying into ATL and got a request to bring a couple with me. Was planning on packing light and not checking luggage. Will they let me carry them on the plane? Will I have to check a bag with them?

I hope I'm not too late on this one, and I'm not sure where you're staying, but from my experience (I was on Mount Desert Island) any local lobster pound will ship them same-day or overnight service for you. I suggest buying the lobsters at a pound because, while they may be more expensive, they are always much fresher. They also get to the destination with much less hassle on your end.

zkzkz Aug 15, 2009 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 12231370)
n.b. dry ice is frozen C02 which is a gas and not a liquid, gel or aerosol ;)

I still want to see someone freeze a bottle of water solid and try to take that through security. "It's not a liquid, it's solid, see!"

Incidentally they sell lobsters post-security at YHZ as well. Not sure how that helps anyone.

Palal Aug 15, 2009 7:13 pm

Just make sure the airline doesn't consider them as pets and charge you a pet fee :).

ferrarixp Aug 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz (Post 12231806)
I still want to see someone freeze a bottle of water solid and try to take that through security. "It's not a liquid, it's solid, see!"

Nice one there, but they'd probably consider that as one of those jokes about a "terroristic device" that "isn't funny".

alanh Aug 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Some pack them in frozen vegetables.