Fake Service Dogs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fake Service Dogs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:23 am

NCS

I suffer from neurocardiogenic syncope NCS. My cardio refers to it as 'severe NCS' or 'convulsive syncope' because I dont just pass out. I experience grand mal seizures. No, I am not epileptic. The neurologist work up indicates this. As you can imagine, this is disabling in so many ways. I really appreciate lilfarfa's comments on the do's and donts of service dogs and her correction of the poster who stated that PSD's are not 'real' working dogs.

Question: Where can I locate the information on being able to sit in bulk head on airplanes? I never knew this information and would like to refer to it when given trouble with seat assignment.

Julia

Last edited by Juliabrat; Mar 21, 2012 at 9:39 am
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Juliabrat
Question: Where can I locate the information on being able to sit in bulk head on airplanes? I never knew this information and would like to refer to it when given trouble with seat assignment.

Julia
Check your airline's website. Looks like they ask you to call in order to be able to reserve certain seats (e.g., a bulkhead in United Economy Plus at no additional charge). I've copied a few URLs below of major US carriers. Note that bulkheads generally don't have moveable armrests, so that is a consideration, if relevant.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...modations.aspx
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ceInflight.jsp
http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ance/index.jsp
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave.../mobility.html
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Great links thanks!!!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:18 am

@Juliabrat
The answer to your question is: 14 C.F.R. § 382.81 (c)

Air Carrier Access Act:
Seating Regulations:
14 C.F.R. § 382.81
For which passengers must carriers make seating accommodations?

As a carrier, you must provide the following seating accommodations to the following passengers on request, if the passenger self-identifies to you as having a disability specified in this section and the type of seating accommodation in question exists on the particular aircraft. Once the passenger self-identifies to you, you must ensure that the information is recorded and properly transmitted to personnel responsible for providing the accommodation.

(a) For a passenger who uses an aisle chair to access the aircraft and who cannot readily transfer over a fixed aisle armrest, you must provide a seat in a row with a movable aisle armrest. You must ensure that your personnel are trained in the location and proper use of movable aisle armrests, including appropriate transfer techniques. You must ensure that aisle seats with movable armrests are clearly identifiable.

(b) You must provide an adjoining seat for a person assisting a passenger with a disability in the following circumstances:

(1) When a passenger with a disability is traveling with a personal care attendant who will be performing a function for the individual during the flight that airline personnel are not required to perform (e.g., assistance with eating);

(2) When a passenger with a vision impairment is traveling with a reader/assistant who will be performing functions for the individual during the flight;

(3) When passenger with a hearing impairment is traveling with an interpreter who will be performing functions for the individual during the flight; or

(4) When you require a passenger to travel with a safety assistant (see § 382.29).

(c) For a passenger with a disability traveling with a service animal, you must provide, as the passenger requests, either a bulkhead seat or a seat other than a bulkhead seat.

(d) For a passenger with a fused or immobilized leg, you must provide a bulkhead seat or other seat that provides greater legroom than other seats, on the side of an aisle that better accommodates the individual's disability.
Old May 4, 2012, 11:19 pm

Fake Service Dogs

How callous! There is such a thing as karma...

I don't know why this person would make up the story so I tend to believe it. I have a service dog due to severe allergies--I am asthmatic. If you saw me you might not think I need a service dog but if you see my service dog Tyst, you would immediately realize the dog is legitimate. She carries my emergency medication in her vest pocket including an EpiPen. In the event of an emergency she knows exactly what to do. She is professionally trained and her behavior is impeccable. A yapping dog or one that would not mind the must simple command could not possibly be a service dog. I don't need to give my dog verbal commands, a simple hand gesture will do the job.

The ADA states that if it is not obvious what job a service animal performs, only limited inquiries are allowed, that said, the airline or business may ask what work or task is the dog trained to perform. A "service dog" may be requested to be removed from the premises if the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or the dog is not housebroken.

The abuse is such that Internet companies are making big money selling service dog certification packages for $150.00 - 350.00. You'll be happy to know that for this fee you can get a service dog vest! One can buy a vest for a lot less or make it oneself.

You can register a service dog for free. To buy a patch, the paper certificate and an actual credit card size identification which outlines the rules for the handler and the business owner is only $50.00 through a legitimate source. By the way, the ADA does not demand you show any type of identification. That said, I quote "under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls."

I created a web page specifically on this subject. The web page is very informative. I also provide detailed information on how to obtain a travel immigration certificate for a pet passport to travel outside of the United States. Internet companies charge somewhere between $15.00 - 25.00 per form! Such expense is not necessary, in fact you can get these forms for free. I give an outline as to how to go through the process.
The website is http://AnimalTattleTales.com

[Promotion of commercial services deleted by Moderator per FlyerTalk Rules.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm Reason: See note above.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Fake service dogs a growing problem

I don't normally try do dredge up really old threads, but did see this issue appear in the news again:

NBC News: Fake service dogs a growing problem
http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fake-s...lem-8C11366537

It's an easy law to break, and dog cheats do. By strapping a vest or backpack that says "service animal" to their pet, anyone can go in stores and restaurants where other dogs are banned, creating growing problems for the disabled community and business owners and leading to calls for better identifying the real deal.

Those with disabilities are worried about privacy and the safety of their highly trained service dogs, while business owners are concerned about health violations and damage to merchandise from impostors abusing the system.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act, it's a federal crime to use a fake dog.
I know the issue does come up periodically in the FT community. I undersand privacy, but still do not like the idea of those scamming the system.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:42 pm
Formerly known as tonivitanza

Bogus

Originally Posted by malsf1
I first put blame and contempt on the veterinarian who would issue a fake certification for this dog as a service dog for no apparent reason (by her admission). Secondly, there should be a fine for the couple who abused a legitimate system which provides those in true need with an accommodation. I have witnessed the same type of behavior with disabled placards in cars, where someone who does not need a "disabled" parking space abuses the system and uses someone else's legitimate card to gain access to the space. Unfortunately, we live in a society where abuse of these accommodations will continue.
Vets aren't the ones who write the notes. Regular medical professionals (the kind of who treat these kinds of humans, and especially the kind that play golf with them, know them from the country club, etc.) write the kinds of notes that make the service animals "legitimate."
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:36 pm

Fantastic article in the New Yorker re emotional support animals highlighting how much of a farce the whole system is.

The author gets sham documentation and takes a series of animals out in the world, including taking a pig on a flight:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed

and some pics of the alpaca, turkey, pig, snake and turtle out on the town:

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...upport-animals
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:01 am

I would like to know if there are any credentials that REAL service dogs carry?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

in 55 years of flying,and thousands of flights, i have seen two dogs getting on the passenger part of a plane. one service dog, and Benjie.

i have seen a lot of dogs working in airports. how does one avoid the attack and the customs sniffer? do those require an exit row also?

what good does an exit row do for juliabrat's condition?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bigsilverjet
I would like to know if there are any credentials that REAL service dogs carry?
I have to imagine that they do...the schools that legitimate service animals have to go through are quite extensive, so I'm sure it's well documented when a particular dog "graduates".

But it sounds like the problem is that there isn't an industry-wide accreditation process that everybody can agree upon and airlines can legally use to determine what is an isn't a real service animal.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA, DL, *wd, IC
Not flying, but still annoying...

A friend was telling me about going to dinner with some acquaintances, who brought along their handbag-sized dog. The dog came into the restaurant with them, and sat in the chair at the end of the table. When my buddy protested, they said "oh, she's a service dog", with a big wink. Dog had fake "papers".

Needless to say, they won't be dining with this couple again.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SB_Travlr
A friend was telling me about going to dinner with some acquaintances, who brought along their handbag-sized dog. The dog came into the restaurant with them, and sat in the chair at the end of the table. When my buddy protested, they said "oh, she's a service dog", with a big wink. Dog had fake "papers".

Needless to say, they won't be dining with this couple again.
why not? surely not because of the dog. dogs in european eating establishments are quite common.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:07 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by slawecki
why not? surely not because of the dog. dogs in european eating establishments are quite common.
Why not? Because people who lie to get what they want ultimately make things more difficult for people who have a legitimate need. Yes, dogs are allowed in restaurants in other countries. The correct response to that is NOT, "Just lie to get what you want," but rather, "If you think dogs should be allowed in restaurants in your city, get politically involved and work to get the rules changed."
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Why not? Because people who lie to get what they want ultimately make things more difficult for people who have a legitimate need. Yes, dogs are allowed in restaurants in other countries. The correct response to that is NOT, "Just lie to get what you want," but rather, "If you think dogs should be allowed in restaurants in your city, get politically involved and work to get the rules changed."
so, to clarify, is this couple black listed and to be shunned by all us who have never sinned because they brought a dog, or because they lied?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.